David Cameron going green!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Sebastian Flyte, Apr 21, 2006.

1. What a load of old bollocks - oh I'll fly to the arctic & watch a glacier melting and that means I'm an environmentalist. Worse than Ming the merciless giving up his Jag. What are needed are POLICIES dear boys......

:angry:

2. To vote for Labour in a vain hope things will improve or to risk Tory on very little information?? :confused:

3. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Vote Lib Dem

4. The only way to get green policies out of the 3 major parties is to vote for the Green Party. They'll never win a seat but it'll scare the others.

5. Alex

Alex User

Well on a local level since the Conservatives gained a majority on our City Council again they've improved the recycling scheme by a MILE. :geek:
    Whether that would translate to anything on a national level who knows....

6. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Are we REALLY supposed to be CONVINCED by THIS? I know no-one ever underestimated the STUPIDITY of the POPULATION but GOOD GRIEF

7. David

David Misanthropic Old Bastard

Dave the Chameleon isn't on my ballot paper! :(

8. Karvel

Karvel Has A Good Home

What's really RILED me is that he's gone to Svalbard when I've NEVER BEEN :evil:

9. Gavin

Gavin Fuck It I Love You

It makes my stomach churn a little, i have to admit. I don't doubt that Cameron is a green-minded man but whether he has the political conviction to make the tough economic policy decisions which are required to REALLY shape the environmental concern agenda i'm not so sure. Taxing the pollutant industries will take a brave politician indeed. Labour may do it but they'll forget to subsidise green alternatives and thus will just yet further increase our cumulative tax burden. At least that isn't what the Tories are about in theory.

I dunno - i'm less than impressed with this media man Cameron. I partly blame Blair actually - the only real legacy of Blairism is PR politics. Cameron is just following his lead - albeit far less convincingly.

Cameron is too much of a London-centric politician in style. I doubt us northerners will ever relate.

10. abnormal

abnormal User

Isn't that eco-activist Goldsmith boy siding with him? That millionaire who's Hugh Grant's brother-in-law?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  11. I might vote Tory in the local elections, I really want to see Labour lose HORIFICALLY, they're so shit. Around my area Wandsworth is the only Conservative borough, and it's by FAR the best run. Maybe Tory's are alright at this level. I would never vote for them in the General Election though, which makes such a decision slightly taxing for me though. I definitely don't want to waste a vote on the Libs, they should have been able to rally the necessary support by now if they were in any way effective, I don't buy all this 'Liberals underperform because nobody thinks a vote for them will matter'. I mean it's true, but for a reason.

12. Yes. He appeared on question time a few weeks back - decidedly odd

13. Gavin

Gavin Fuck It I Love You

Wandsworth of course, being Thatcher's first walk of fame.

I prefer Conservative local government too. Our area was better run under them - but its been many years since we've had much in the way of blue up here in Scotland. Our local A&E is under threat of closure at the moment and hundreds took to the streets and the local Tory is the only one making a vocal stand in objection.

Like you tho, i'd struggle to vote Tory at national level. I'm really not impressed yet. I'd like to see Labour's majority diminished and so that leaves the Lib Dems to vote for - how WOEFUL. I like 'em and much of what they stand for but GOD could you IMAGINE them in power? Eugh.

14. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Give us a CHANCe. please.

15. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Oh COME ON

16. Jimmy

Jimmy User

17. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I tend to forget about political parties at local elections, in any case. From where I've lived, it seems to be more down to individuals than party politics.

18. Madison

We did. In the 80s.

YOU SHAT ALL OVER THE POOR

19. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

tee hee

20. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

QUITE. Yes so recycling is the new Tory PRIORITY for the country. Really? Of course - that's what the tories are all about. It wasn't just some focus group or other that complained there wasn't enough recycling going on... oh no.

21. Alex

Alex User

WEll yes it's all so obvious. But really the absolute worst party ever for this focus group shite is Labour...... :gross:

22. Jimmy

Jimmy User

That's a rather ignorant view of what happened. Are you American?

23. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

Explain how that is not ENTIRELY accurate.

24. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Because if Labour had stayed in we would ALL have been fucking poor.

25. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

Thats not arguing against that point... the Tories are about making the rich richer and fuck the poor. You just backed that up.

26. Jimmy

Jimmy User

If the rich get richer, so does everyone else. Wealth creation is essential if you want to fund good public services. If you redistribute wealth aggressively (sp?), less wealth ends up being created, and there ends up being less in the pot altogether. And there has to be cuts or borrowing, which defeats the whole object.

27. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

28. Alex

Alex User

Well I think it's just as bad punishing people for being successful, making the middle and upper classes pay for those less well off. OK there are many people who do need a helping hand financially but there are a hell of a lot of people who just spend their whole life scrounging off the state.

If you punish those better off then you reduce the amount of new business ventures and as a result there are less jobs so effecting those lower down.

Labour certainly haven't got the balance right, the Tories didn't back in the 80's who to say they couldn't now?

29. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

Labout got it wrong in the 70s (or more like the Trade Unions did... in a world economy you can't just withdraw labour to force pay increases etc in industries that can be replaced by cheap foreign labour...); the Tories got it just as wrong in the 80s (cutting the power of the Trade Unions was important but also getting rid of huge industries that a large proportion of northern England depended on was not!). New Labour have got SOME things wrong (quite a lot really) but overall they DO strike a much more acceptable balance.

30. Jimmy

Jimmy User

They did not get rid of that industry, it had been in terminal decline which really set in with a vengeance after World War 1. There was a large section of our industrial base that got washed away under Thatcher's reforms, but don't forget that under the last Conservative Government, manufacturing was actually growing. Look at the situation now..

31. Suomi

Suomi User

I like the way this JIMMY thinks

32. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

What do you mean by that? We now have a thriving manufacturing industry or Labour made it worse? Either is wrong.

Take coal mining as the obvious example. There were plenty of profitable pits that were closed (fact), and now a ridiculous amount of ex-mining villages / towns that now have very high unemployment etc... also using our own energy resources would certainly be an advantage to us now (helping ease the problems with gas from Russia, oil from the Middle East... even coal from China).

33. Suomi

Suomi User

Did you know that if you shook hands with every Chinese person and they were all lined up in single file to meet you the line would never end because of the reproductive rate

34. Madison

That assumes that the state of China will exist forever. I plan to destroy it if I come to power, then the people cease being Chinese.

35. Suomi

Suomi User

will they be un madionsonese?

36. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Of course they have made it worse.

37. Madison

Hell no, I don't want anything to do with Asia.

I'll just split it back into warring Kingdoms - 6 of them. That should stop their development.

38. vinyl_junkie

vinyl_junkie 45 rpm

Obviously its an easy excuse to give but the problem was inherrited (see education, health...). There wasn't much they could do to resurrect the old industries (which are irreplacable in terms af numbers of jobs and effects on local communities). Losing smaller factory-based manufacturing doesn't have the same effect and can be partly replaced by service industries (fucking call centres).

39. Jimmy

Jimmy User

You must know that service industries are unskilled, low paid, and many of them easily transferrable to other countries (eg. call centres going over to India). They add virtually nothing to the balance of payments. They are no kind of solid basis for an economy, and accepting or even welcoming this transfer as part of a natural evolution is an extremely stupid and short sighted error. We need a highly skilled manufacturing sector, and this was growing under the last Conservative government.

40. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I've heard SOME fucking things, but MY GOD, how IGNORANT