David Cameron going green!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Sebastian Flyte, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

They're probably more concerned that the entire shadow cabinet is populated by patronising cunts.

Nothing in the actual cabinet compares to this creature when it comes to cuntness:

[​IMG]

2. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Better a patronising cunt than an incompetent one. And since when did Tories have a monopoly on being either patronising or cunty?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  3. Madison

Again:

[​IMG]

4. Alex

Alex User

5. Madison

That was the greatest moment of the 2001 campaign.

On the other hand:
    [​IMG]

6. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

He's got a MULLET. HE DESERVED IT

7. Madison

If you throw an egg at a stranger, you deserve to be punched.

8. Kate

Well yes that too. But especially if you have a mullet

9. Madison

Oh naturally.

10. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Whether he deserved it is quite different from whether it was right to do it. It displayed a simple lack of composure, from a useless oaf who has failed in every single ministerial task given to him.

I felt the barely concealed delight in subsequent Labour statements about the event when they realised that punching country bumpkins went down well in the polls was also disgusting. If the public had reacted badly it would have been wall to wall sombre apologies and regret. As it was, it was "John is John *knowing grin*". Shameless Gutter behaviour.

11. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Bollocks to that. If someone fires an egg at me from close range, they're going to get a smack. Simple as. I would have agreed with what he did, public opinion or no public opinion.

12. Indie

and oh, FUCK OFF. Normally, i appreciate your opinions, they're informed and sensible. but if you're going be the Telegraph's spokesman...

13. Broomhelga

Broomhelga User

I don't care what bollocks he may or may not be coming out with this week

I SO WOULD :horny: and the Tories shall be getting my vote next time

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  14. Jimmy

Jimmy User

I think William Hague put it right when asked if he would do the same 'It's not my policy to hit the elctorate during an election campaign'. I agree that the mitigating factor was the closeness of range. The guy was a complete tosspot and deserved what he got, but I just don't think that the Deputy PM should be someone who can lose control so easily.

As for my second point, are you actually disputing any of it, or just the fact that it echoes what was in the Torygraph (and surely most other papers?) today. I've been saying this Government lacks both competence and vision for ages, I'm not going to stop saying it because everyone else is realising it too.

15. Madison

He didn't lose control - he acted appropriately.

16. Kate

PLEASE say you're joking :manson:

17. Indie

It's the way you come across. I mean how on earth can anyone be of the opinion that the current government have achieved zero, and be completely clueless? It's such an extreme view that just isn't true. People have flaws, no-one is perfect, the government isn't perfect, they've done plenty wrong, but they've done plenty right.

All newspapers are to be taken with a pinch of salt... they all hold extreme views, and let's face it... they wouldn't sell if they just said "oh, the government's doing average"

18. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Glib answer: Very easily
    Serious answer: I'm really struggling to think of a single major policy acheivement which hasn't been sullied by arbitrary targets, voter/media friendly initiatives, political correctness, over-regulation, cronyism, simple incompetence, or various combinations thereof.

You could say that devolution has come off quite well (though I do resent paying taxes for that pretentious Scottish parliament building), and the Mayor of London (much as I hate Ken Livingston) but overall Labour's constitutional fiddling cannot be regarded as anything approaching a success. Look at House of Lords reform, the West Lothian question, the failed attempt to bring in regional government, the mess over the role of the Lord Chancellor etc.

On the economy, sticking to Conservative spending plans and handing the decision on interest rates to the Bank of England were extremely good for the economy. But as ever under Labour, they grew cocky, and things are now looking decidedly unrosy.

What else is there? The NHS? Education? The Criminal Justice system? Foreign Policy?

19. Madison

The minimum wage

Economic stability (no Black Wednesdays)

Civil partnerships

Removal of heritary peers

Free museum entry

Repeal of section 28

Reduction of homelessness

Tax credit

New Deal

Good Friday Agreement

Kyoto Protocol

20. Jimmy

Jimmy User

I forgot civil partnerships. That is a step forward for many people, as would be the repeal of section 28.

As for the rest, what a load of barrel scraping shite.

Hereditary Peers have NOT been fully removed, and to the extent that they have been removed, they've replaced by disgusting patronage that has now turned into a criminal investigation.

The working family tax credit system is an acknowledged shambles, with families being asked to refund money they were mistakenly given, placing many in genuine financial peril.

Reduction of homelessness? Figures please.

Do I have to go on? MUSEM entry FFS?? :manson:

After nearly a decade in government, if this is the sum of Labours acheivments, then my point would apear to have been proven. Even I thought there was probably more good things on there than that.

21. Madison

Working family tax credit is better than nothing - or indeed better than SHITTING ALL OVER THE POOR NORTHERERS FOR TEN YEARS.

The removal of people from sitting in the House of Lords just because their great great great great grandfather was a general in the Napoleonic Wars is A GOOD THING. Do you seriously think all the new life peers are there because of bribery. Even if a few of them are there because they paid there way into the house, it's still better than aristocrats. I'd rather have rich businessmen than aristocrats. IT'S AN IMPROVEMENT.

Oh, you forgot civil partnerships. IT'S A SHAME THE LAST CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENTS FORGET THE EXISTENCE OF GAY PEOPLE FOR 20 YEARS. I'm sorry, that's a lie - they didn't forget their existence THEY TRIED TO CENSOR KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR EXISTENCE BY INTRODUCING SECTION 28.

You didn't respond to the minimum wage - I doubt you care about the people who benefitted from than.

Look up the homelessness figures yourself TWAT.

What the HELL do you have against free museum entry? Don't poor people have the right to visit museums?

And I don't see Irish terrorists trying to assassinate government MPs these days. Good grief, your lot were so detested, they got murdered. You even let an MP starve to death.

Here's a simplification for you:
    ECONOMIC STABILITY = GOOD THING

AN UNSTABLE ECONOMY = BAD THING

Let's impose limits on imigration - see what that does to the economy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  22. Alex

Alex User

CALM DOWN :shock:

23. rural juror

rural juror User

he has a POINT

24. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Working Family Tax Credit is actually one of the BEST things that New Labour has introduced.

Yes, the overpayment and subsequent clawing back of the overpayments (which only affected a small percentage of people who received it) was an absolute shambles, and indeed the way it has been administered does leave a lot to be desired.

However, the intent behind it is admirable. And the fact remains that people who before it was introduced were better off remaining on benefit are now better off working and receiving tax credits.

As far as I'm concerned that can only be a good thing.

25. rural juror

rural juror User

It irritates me that Labour are getting SO much stick at the moment. No they aren;t perfect and yes they've fucked up. But I honestly believe that the in tentions behind what they have done have been sound.

To consider some of the points aleady raised, allowing civil partnerships is a massive step forward that would NEVER have happened under a tory administration, If we were still under them I have NO dount that Clause 28 would still be very much in play. The new touchy feely tory party is so at odds with what we've seen in the past that its obviously just a ploy to woo back voters. A HUGE number of tory voters(certainkly the oldrer ones which, lets face it, make up most of the tory voting contingent) are against the changes Cameron is making.

As Lolly has said, the working family tax credit is one of the best things Labour have done in the past ten years. Yes the administration of it was fucked up, but its being dealt with and over time, won't happen. You have to accept some teething problems with any new procedure, and the numbers affected by the overpayment are tiny in comparison, not great for them at all and I don;t excuse it, but it needs to be looked at with a sense of perspective that a die hard tory voter is unlikely to have.

I can't understand Jimmys problem with free museum entry, surely opening the opportunity to all to education and culture... and our heritage can only be seen as a noble gesture

e: homelessness - Annual figures for 2005 show a 75 per cent reduction in rough sleepers in England since 1998 from 1,850 to 459. In addition, the use of Bed and Breakfast accommodation for families with children, for longer than six weeks, has been outlawed. The number of households in temporary accommodation has also fallen below 100,000 for the first time since 2004

Somew things haven;t worked, Labour need to realise that throwing money at a problme won't work on its own, Education and the NHS, while improvements can be noted, haven;t moved on as far as they could have done over the last ten years, although lets face it, despite the problmes going on at the moment, NHS statistics clearly show improvements regarding waiting lists and the like.

Labour are far from perfect but i DREAD to think what state thsi country would be in now if the tories had held on to power.

And now we have Cameron, cycles to work to show off his green credentials, only to have his car FOLLOW him to drop off his shoes and briefcase. this happens EVERY day. Aparently this has never been kept secret but hes certainly never mentioned it when he HAS been spouting on about saving energy and criticisiing mothers for driving their children to school. Maybe the mums should take the kids on their bikes and have the husbands drive the schoolbags along in peopl carriers eh?

The tories cannot be seen as a CREDIBLE party of government until they actually decide what they believe in. Camerons SHAMELESS vote chasing and populist revisions of tory policy is laughable in its transparency. a JOKE

that is all

26. rural juror

rural juror User

I'd say this is ENTIRELY factual

27. Jimmy

Jimmy User

Thanks for the HUGE LETTERING, it makes your previously rather crap list of acheivements seem SO MUCH MORE VALID. :manson:

Your assesment of the Northern Ireland situation is unhinged drivel. Yes Labour have played their part in the Peace Process, as did John Major, a fact which was widely acknowledged by Blair and others at the time the Good Friday Agreement was signed. The IRA recognised that armed struggle was futile, in no small part due to the tough stance taken against them by the Conservatives. What would you have had Thatcher do in the Hunger Strike? Accept that people who killed and maimed should be treated as political prisoners because their crimes were politically motivated? Fucking bullshit.

Bully for you if you'd rather have an Upper House of paid up Government cronies, which makes a mockery of a bicameral parliament, than a few crusty old aristo's (which, I remind you once again, have NOT even been entirely removed), but I think many would prefer an anachronistic House of Lords to an utterly corrupt bought one -at least the old Peers did actually hold Governments, both Conservative and Labour, to account.

"ECONOMIC STABILITY = GOOD THING" No shit genius. Labour were handed a booming economic legacy by the previous government (a fact they always neglected to mention when blaming every problem from the last 8 years on the Tories), which they maintained early on by sticking to Conservative spending plans. And now they're fucking it up royally. Like I said before Labour economic policies have always lead to slow inexorable economic decline, and this Government is no different.

I have nothing against free musem entry, but it's hardly a huge landmark in policy is it? What on earth will you bring up next? Free Worthers Original for the over 60's?

28. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Having had a Labour government all my adult life and working with a low income for much of it, it's hard to appreciate what life was like without a minimum wage. If for whatever twist of fate the same Tories were still in power I dread to think what situation I'd be in, both economically and socially.

29. rural juror

rural juror User

I'm intrigued though Jimmy as to precisely where you think we'd be now if the tories hadn't lost power?

30. Suomi

Suomi User

you say that as if there would be huge radical changes. I reckon bar a few brush ups it'd be pretty much the same

31. rural juror

rural juror User

any brish ups, on past epxerience would be to the benefit of the morre affable and the detriment of those living on the poverty line

32. Kate

I just want to say YAY for Strebor's rant up there

YAY

33. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Very few of the changes for the better would have happened and this country would still be lagging behind...

34. Madison

Oh dear. This is what happens when someone starts talking politics after I've had a few double vodkas.

Thank god I the bar closed early or I'd have broken my caps lock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  35. Kate

Oooh CAMBRIDGE. Where were you tonight?

36. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

There's a banter forum and that's called Moopy Moop ladies...

37. Kate

I know

Blame Strongbow

cunts

38. Kate

Oh

I got taken to B Bar and the Slug & Lettuce, not very exciting but I got drunk so woo

39. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

'Tis true, most economists acknowledge that the economy was improving greatly before Labour got into power. But then history is always rewritten by the winners isn't it?

40. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Everyone knows the economy was on the up before Labour... But LOOK, 9 years without a crash or major decline...