Dear Joan and Jericha - new Julia Davis podcast

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by dUb, Jun 25, 2018.

1. DogsDinner

DogsDinner #susanalbumparty

Mahmoud becoming the third/fourth character with Cardinal is magic. I think Mahmoud needs to keep being referenced. Find it so odd and perfect they both utilise him.
    I love how off the rails his description gets once Honeycomb Crunchy hair is mentioned...

2. NonEvent

NonEvent User

This PEAKED a bit too soon for me. I listened to the first 6 episodes back to back and was in a nonstop state of hysterical laughter. Like people have said it’s the most Nighty Night thing since Nighty Night. However when I came to listen to the final last two episodes, despite having moments of brilliance, it had become all abit too obvious and predictable. You just knew exactly where they were going to go with woman who got the facelift voucher off her husband and the gags became abit tired. It’s still absolute brilliance and I’ll be relistening to the whole shebang again though - just hope they mix it up abit in future episodes.

3. Jack

Jack I HAVE NO IDEA

GOOD NEWS:

Joan and Jericha the filthy agony aunts are back with sex tips
    Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine, likened to the revered Derek and Clive, return with a second series of the hit podcast

Sun 14 Oct 2018 07.00 BST

It was the unflinchingly filthy surprise hit of the summer, a word-of-mouth success that ousted even Love Island’s podcast from the top of the charts. Now the thousands of secret fans of the deeply horrid advice show Dear Joan and Jericha have the news they have been hoping for – the duo who are known for jaw-dropping sexual frankness are coming back.

Joan Damry and Jericha Domain, the fictitious local radio agony aunts at the heart of a succession of acclaimed and extremely risque advice sessions, were created by the actresses Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine in their spare time. And now, the Observer has learned, in response to the subversive triumph of the podcast series, the two comic stars are quietly collaborating on a new set of ad-libbed recordings.

The show revolved around reactions to spoof readers’ letters on topics such as spicing up your sex life or dealing with unsightly blemishes.

“They are sticking to the same format, because it worked so well,” said the show’s producer, Joel Porter. “So we might have something ready for the end of the year or early next year.”

“It is very bleak humour,” said Cariad Lloyd, a comedian and a fan. “They go to places that are deeply sexual, uncomfortable and rude. When I’m listening I often think, ‘I can’t believe they said that.’ The running joke is that it’s always the women’s fault.”

The BBC’s Podcast Radio Hour, which recommends good listens, issued two warnings before playing the “tamest” clip it could find, to prevent viewers “choking on their tea”.

The podcast, which began in April and shot to the top of the iTunes podcast chart, has earned comparisons with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore’s naughtiest alter egos, Derek and Clive.

The tapes made by the late comedians in the 1970s, when the pair were often drunk, gained a huge following despite being too coarse to be broadcast by mainstream radio or TV. In 2009 it was revealed that the tapes had provoked obscene publications squads to demand their ban. In keeping with their times, the stories Derek and Clive told each other regularly revolved around lewd sexual exploits and played dangerously with prevalent misogyny. Davis and Pepperdine, while equally forthright, are instead parodying a modern culture in which women are encouraged to improve themselves to compete in attracting men.

“The success of the series is down to the brilliance of Julia and Vicki,” said Porter. “They record it on their own. They script the questions, then push each other as far as they can with the answers. It works because they are such beautifully believable and excruciatingly funny characters.”

4. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

FUCKING FABULOUS

Christmas Special please

Zu-Klara likes this.
  5. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

YAY! Best news I've had all week

6. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I can’t find the thread we were talking about it in but I just THOROUGHLY enjoyed the Q&A and screening of the first series of “Nighty Night” at the BFI. Everyone was there bar Rebecca Front (filming in Scotland) and apparently a third series is being talked about!

dUb and Suomi like this.
  7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara Allt sem ég sá...

When ARE we getting the second series of this? I don’t care if it’s more of exactly the same. I WANT more of exactly the same!

Suomi likes this.