Do you drive?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Rita, Nov 17, 2019.

?

Can you drive?

1. I do drive

44.9%
  2. I can drive, but don’t have a car at the moment

12.2%
  3. I am learning

4.1%
  4. No

20.4%
  5. I don’t want to drive

18.4%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

You can’t properly go CRUISING without a CAR!

2. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

At least two or three times a month I'd say. We both only work 4 days each week. The coast. Local villages. Exmoor. Westonbirt. Stourhead. It's all a ball ache to get to by public transport. Everywhere takes twice as long, if not longer. If it's even practically possible.

I've got to allow two hours to get five miles across the city by public transport. Sure, I may be lucky and manage it in a little over an hour, but I can't guarantee it.

3. Mats

Mats User

often I won't even bike home after a bludgeoning day of work. can't imagine I'd want to drive at all. only for leisure!

4. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I detest driving, it’s such a stressful experiece for me. I got my license when I turned 30, and only drive when I really have to. Public transport here is brilliant and I have an e-moped so there’s hardly any need for it.

5. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

In Belfast yes. In Milan no, that would be a nightmare.

I love driving outside of the city and if I know my route in the city exactly. It relaxes me and it's great for getting places. All the prettiest places are hard to reach by public transport.

City driving can gtfo though.

KindaCool likes this.
  6. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Imagine not driving.

7. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I find that hiking and getting to outdoorsy places is absolutely compromised by not having a car. Yes, most places are somewhat close to a transport link, but odds are it's a bus that runs a few times a day and stops at a certain time, so most of the day is spent with the need to get back at a certain time in the back of your head.

If I hadn't been able to drive to the coast last year at any time to relax then work would have been hellish.

8. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

If I had unlimited money I would spend a fuck ton on cars, mostly classic ones.

9. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I don’t get that buying expensive cars thing at all! What a waste... if I had unlimited money I’d employ a private driver.

Speaking of money; not partying excessively this past year has saved me thousands on uber/cabs.

10. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I've just got a thing about old cars, mainly 60s era really, some of them are works of art, and were very unique to the time. I can't see people in 40 years restoring a Ford Ka and showing it.

But yeah, theres loads of other things I want before that. It's also quite an old man thing. Though I would buy a 80s 911 and drive it daily now if I could get away with it.

11. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I had lessons when I was 22 and hated it. At least partly because my instructor was a middle-aged man obviously used to teaching 17-year-olds and treated me like a kid. Then when I failed my test it was pretty much the first thing I'd ever failed, having been a girly swot at school and university, and my wanker then-boyfriend lorded it over me (because the insecure cunt couldn't deal with the fact I was cleverer than him). So I decided IT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT FOR ME and never went back for more lessons.

(Shortly before the wanker and I broke up his mum pointed out that he actually passed second time, not first as he had been smugly claiming :))

Obviously now I live in Centre of the Universe Zone 2 I really don't need a car anyway. The only time one would be useful would be going to visit my parents who both live rurally.

12. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

I shamefully still can’t drive. I did start years ago and got about 7 lessons in when my instructor quit and I couldn’t be arsed finding someone new.

I probably don’t need a car when I’m in Edinburgh but I think it’d really change my life for getting about outside of Edinburgh.

The only thing that puts me off is the expense of lessons. So it’s a bit of a catch 22.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:49 PM
    Jark likes this.
  13. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

Me too. But I'd have a red Tesla Model S P90D for driving to work and a pearlescent pink and purple Pagani Zonda for playing around in. Although it isn't a classic I'd have a MK4 Astra in red too in memory of Big Red, I just really love the shape of them and it was always a pleasure to drive.

14. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I would get a teal Mini convertible and someone to drive me around in it while I drink Prosecco :) And send Floppet a Tesla.

Floppet likes this.
  15. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

Just tell some sap they can watch if they chauffeur you. DUH!

16. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Ron Jr keeps berating me for not having a Tesla. He's been listening to Greta too much.

17. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

They are nice, I got ferried around France in a Model X last year, I shit myself when the driver kept doing things while it was on auto pilot!

18. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I'm all for ludicrous mode! 0-60 in 2.3 seconds and you can bet I'd be going for it every time I was first in the queue at the lights, rozzers be damned. I'm so jealous you've been in one, I often see one dropping off a precious child at the posh school opposite work and have contemplated going over for a look but that's a bit stalkery even for me. I'm with Ron Jr, you should get a Tesla and let me have a go in it.

19. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I love driving. I normally blast my music really loud (and yes, longtime aware-of-me's will guess the playlist rotation easier than a butcher saying hello to Jane McDonald), but I've recently been using my drives to clear my head. It's very therapeutic and it makes me feel independent again after a very long time of not doing it.

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'm not sure I can remember the last time I got on a bus and there wasn't at least one other person who REEKED of cannabis

Dirty cunts

Rita likes this.
  21. Rita

Rita User

It really does smell like someone has not washed in over a week.

22. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

My commute takes me from London to out of London so driving is usually pretty blissful going on the other side to all of the traffic. I've been using my drive to start listening to podcasts for the first time ever and am loving it. :disco: unfortunately my new job is in a town where parking is a literal nightmare. I found an unrestricted road about 15 mins walk from the office but couldn't handle the constant sarky comments from the residents whose precious houses I dared to park in front, so in the end I just forked out a pretty penny for a council parking space. Annoying but at least I don't have the stress of driving around trying to find somewhere every morning.

Tl;dr love driving, hate parking.

I always used to do all the driving and after one too many moans of me not being able to drink, @Iguana has taken some refresher lessons and it's been a godsend! He drove to Gatwick, then I got sick on the last day of our holiday which meant he was able to drive back home and subsequently to A&E at 2 in the morning when I couldn't breathe. :zombie: (all good now!)

23. vespertine

vespertine God damn it Claude

Did you ever make it? Driving here in the winter is dreadful.

Yes I do and love it, it's an absolute essential this side of the pond (even moreso in the States) unless you live in downtown Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal and EVEN THEN. Can remember many an argument with my instructor though, nothing like SHOUTING at someone behind the wheel on the motorway. :manson::D

24. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

I still need to learn

I promise this time next year... oh who am I kidding :eyes:

25. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

I don't and I don't know if I want to. I definitely don't feel ashamed of not having learned either :D i wasn't aware that was a thing.

I think it would be nice to learn soon because I think we're not far off a time when electric cars will be sustainably produced and cheap to buy. five year goal maybe.

26. Soldi

Soldi Candide Crush

I’ve grown to love driving in the past year or so, but I still won’t drive on the motorway :D

27. Soldi

Soldi Candide Crush

And I suppose back home I didn’t really have any choice but to drive, if I grew up in Manchester I’d have never learnt because you just don’t need a car here.

28. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

Driving has always TERRIFIED me.

29. Soldi

Soldi Candide Crush

Oh it’s HORRIFIC at first. I remember stalling at every set of traffic lights coming back from MEADOWHALL a couple of weeks after I passed in the middle of RUSH HOUR :gross:

30. Lucille

With any luck I’m a zone 2 gay for life now so hope it’s never even AN OPTION.

Kate, Jark and Soldi like this.
  31. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

I’m FAR TOO ANXIOUS AND PANICKY that I can’t guarantee that I won’t swing the wheel into the path of an oncoming LORRY or WALL, so it’s probably best I DON’T.

Jark likes this.
  32. Lucille

As a child I would always SHUT MY EYES for as LONG AS POSSIBLE when riding a bike for a PERVERSE THRILL so we don’t need that UNHINGED BEHAVIOUR in charge of a vehicle with WEIGHT and VELOCITY.

RJN and Jark like this.
  33. Lucille

I can’t even TOP for god’s sake.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM
    Jark and vespertine like this.
  34. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Anum Rapax

I don't drive and have no intention of changing that.

Part of me doesn't want to be in charge of a metal death machine, knowing how carless and easily distracted I can be

However, there are some people I know who do drive that I wouldn't even trust with an empty cardboard box, it makes me think that I'd probably be fine.

I do miss having a boyfriend that did drive though. It was useful having immediate access to a driver. @COB to take lessons immediately please.

35. Indie

Indie Great Tits

No :(

Rebooked for June. FINGERS CROSSED

vespertine likes this.
  36. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

What is it with gays and fear of driving?

37. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

I took a lesson once but my limp wrists kept falling off the steering wheel and I asked the instructor to hush when Get Outta My Way came on the radio. I queened out for three minutes, statically, and then he made me get out of the car and that was that.

COB, Cloud, vespertine and 3 others like this.
  38. Soldi

Soldi Candide Crush

And I don’t like to stereotype but all BMW and Audi drivers are CUNTS

39. Lucille

What can I say, some of us were made to drive, and some of us were made to be driven.

COB, RJN, BoysForSeles and 5 others like this.
  40. RJN

RJN User

I drive but I HATE it. One of my goals for 2021 is being able to make my life completely car-free. Right now I really only need it to get to work. I walk everywhere else