Do you play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Spuggie, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

This thread is inspired by learning last night that my primary school music teacher APPARENTLY was part of Craig David's band on tour, which, considering she was a MIDDLE-AGED AMAZONIAN GINGE in 1989, comes somewhat as a SURPRISE. I can't wait to see Craig David featuring Mrs. Chamberlain riding high in the charts.

Anyway, I can play the piano, the guitar and used to be able to play the clarinet (and associated woodwind instruments, actually, just the saxophone) but I no longer really play any with any regularity. I'm probably more a master of the guitar than I am of any other instrument as it stands, since it's easy as fuck and more of a crowd pleaser although the piano is probably my favourite instrument.

I'm sure there's probably already been a thread on this at some point but I don't recall so it must have been before my time and I'm JUST NOT INTERESTED IN THE PAST.

WHAT DO YOU PLAY MOOPY?

2. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

I used to be able to play the drums, my ability has dropped significantly though. So probably just the triangle, and my own VOX. I would love to be able to play guitar.

3. Ag

Ag User

Recorder and triangle.

4. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Grade One piano

WITH MERIT

5. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Grade one on the trumpet, I gave up after that thankfully, hideous instrument.

Oh and I can play the chanter a bit too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

OH FUCK, you beat me to the triangle thing.

The only joke instrument I'm interested in is the COW BELL.

7. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

I can still play 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' on the recorder, actually, so I can add that to the list.

I never did grades or 'owt, I am too common. In fact, the clarinet was the only instrument for which I received private tuition, the rest (RECORDER ASIDE) was self-taught. God, I wish I'd had more musical parents who would have encouraged this shit.

8. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

The recorder :o I can do that actually, I should add that in.

9. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I have recently developed a penchant for the harmonica. But other than that, NOTHING

When i was about ten i begged my parents for a keyboard one christmas, for some odd reason, but i was bored with it by boxing day. All the kids who played instruments at my school were bullied, and QUITE RIGHT TOO.

10. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

NOTHING. My typically asian parents saw no value in learning the piano when I would become a hot-shot lawyer. :D :(

11. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

My best mate's pushy muslim mum FORCED her children to play the violin and become doctors. Evidently you drew the relative SHORT-STRAW there, Bev.

This has reminded me of the time when, at primary school, I had to DRAG UP as Jack's MUM in the J AND THE B STALK pantomime. There was a beautiful duet between Jack and his donkey (I can't recall whether that's part of the traditional story or was included solely by ARTISTIC MERIT), which I subsequently learned how to play on the piano, and passed it off as my own composition to my parents, who then made me perform a (small) concert to my extended family.

12. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

Trumpet. I was SHIT and my teacher hated me. The feeling was mutual.

I passed grade 4 but only just. The examiner upped it to 100 so I could pass. I failed my first attempt, and my teacher joyfully told me if was the first time since he'd been teaching at my school that someone had failed the Grade 4. He was SUCH a cunt. He's one of the few people I'm actually happy to call that word.

*has unresolved issues*.

13. cwej

cwej User

Grade 8 Piano and Grade 7 Clarinet, though I'm probably more like Grade 5 Piano and Grade 3 Clarinet these days!

14. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

THIS ALSO REMINDS ME that I met my aforementioned best mate through clarinet lessons. Our teacher was late for a lesson one day and so she suggested that, to pass the time, we should "jam". OBV my suspicions were aroused by that statement, but then she proceded to play 'I Will Always Love You' and henceforth I avoided her for approximately THREE YEARS.

My music teacher (not of Craig David fame) then married another mates mum and ruined her life.

15. funky

funky INCAPABLE

grade 4 guitar

grade 2 piano

grade 1 theory

also played violin, but gave up that up sharpish cos it was SHIT, the irish whistle cos I was in the school Irish band (I'm not Irish) and also the recorder, but probably not worth mentioning that because everyone played the recorder right? You just BLOW. It's not DIFFICULT.

My school was very musical.

16. Spuggie

Spuggie Ripped to shreds

P.S. CUNT.

17. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I can play the sax, was around the grade 6 level when I stopped. I haven't picked one up in years though so would be surprised if I could make a sound, let alone play anything.

18. Pipo

Pipo extra large & extra hard

Guitar, recorder and singing (if that counts). I played the keyboard for a bit but gave up before completing a grade :zombie:

HOWEVER I can play all the instruments on Rock Band at a Hard Level (Except guitar :shy: )

19. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I played the Steel Pans and Harmonium for YEARS.

20. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I learned the clarinet, which I hated. I have no desire to ever pick one up ever again. I was always desperate to learn to play the piano but my parents couldn't afford one so said there was no point. I love the piano though, and I'd love to own one later in life so I can host 40s style cocktail parties around the piano.

I'm not actually very musical at all though.

21. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

22. cwej

cwej User

I miss my piano SO SO much. :(

23. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I can play the recorder and the flute. Due to the lack of a flute my flautism talent is mainly utilised playing the half-empty beer bottles when I'm drunk.

24. Gavin

Gavin Fuck It I Love You

I'm seriously making up for lost time with this right now. Ever since I was 18 i'd been telling myself it was too late to learn an instrument. Ridiculous.

For the past two years i've been learning both the piano and the guitar quite intensively. I have a lesson in both every week. The piano feels more natural for me, despite it being a harder instrument to master, but i really enjoy both. In fact, I'm rather obsessed...feels like i'm on a mission of sorts.

25. Indie

Indie REMAIN INDOORS

Guitar and Bass

and i can also do Viola, Keyboard/piano and recorder. To varying degrees.

26. American guy

American guy User

In school I played the drums. I've 2 guitars and I play the keyboard, or should i say i play with the keyboard. :shy: I think i was going through a life crisis, i just had to have another guitar and couldn't play the first.
    Do you find the sound the Rockband drums make annoying? Plus the Rockband guitar is lousy, it feels so cheap compared to the Guitar hero guitar.

27. cwej

cwej User

I tried to learn guitar at uni and I was HOPELESS. I just couldn't get it to sound right ever. Piano is seen as a more difficult instrument, but I found it much more natural to play.

28. Gavin

Gavin Fuck It I Love You

Yeah, at least on piano every key makes an acceptable noise however haphazardly it is struck. Hitting a clean note on the guitar requires much more intricacy in execution. That said, you can blag your way through a tune on the guitar in a way you just COULDN'T get away with on a piano.

Plus, guitar you can reach a reasonable level of competency on without giving much more than a nod to music theory. Piano doesn't let you off quite so easily!

29. Pipo

Pipo extra large & extra hard

Nothing sounds/feels as good as the REAL deal though I don't think I could ever learn how to play the drums properly, I've no sense of coordination in my arms as the same way I do in my fingers

30. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

I got Grade 6 piano when I was 15/16. Probably around grade 3 standard nowadays in CLASSICAL TERMS, but I'd be shit at sight-reading nowadays as I only now ever play pop stuff. I'm very musical. :D I'm always composing, and I record my own stuff when I can (i.e. when I can get near a Mac :disco:). It kills me that I don't have a piano in my flat. I got to play a Steinway today at work.

31. Hobbes

Hobbes User

I took my Grade 3 Piano a kajillion years ago (at least 11 or 12), but have been playing pretty constantly since, so I'd hope that I could prepare for something at a higher level.

I also play the guitar a little bit... by which I mean, about a dozen chords and that's it. But still, it's something.

I would LOVE to play the Saxophone.

32. Win_the_game

Win_the_game User

I played guitar for a bit when I was at school. Since then I've been self taught on-and-off. My problem is that I lack the commitment.

33. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

so, i've taken up the piano after never having played any instrument (expect for a toy xylophone when i was a few fingers old, a recorder in primary school on which i was so shit it scarred me for life and a synth for about 2 minutes when i was still a pre-teen).

there's an old piano in my apartment and i realised it had been just sitting there for two years since i moved in and i started taking lessons once a week a few months ago.

i'm really enjoying it although i think i'm a bit shit. my teacher keeps wanting to teach me weird shit (like clubbed to death or hard rock or stuff like it's a wonderful world) and i go to him with wonderfully bleak and depressing stuff like pieces from the hours or a single man soundtrack*.*

we're currently working on cat power's the greatest and i'm trying to decipher how to play a piece by rachel portman in never let me go.

i really wish i'd done all this when i was much younger so that i could be proper good by now:evil:

34. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Accordion. KIND OF. At least, I can play the vocal (treble) notes and a few of the bass bits of The Handsome Family's 'A Beautiful Thing' (without looking down) and also the odd Enya

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  35. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

Tin whistle and traditional flute.

36. Marilyn

Marilyn User

A rare photo of Zu in her younger years:

[​IMG]

Zu-Klara likes this.
  37. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

ZU NOW

[​IMG]

Marilyn likes this.
  38. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

The accordion is my favourite instrument ever BY FAR. Mind you, I do quite fancy the DUDUK, which sounds like every hidden horror of the soul :disco:

39. wendy the goat

wendy the goat i like turtles

I can play that floor piano song from Big on the piano.
    And Eastenders.
    That's it.

40. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I struggle to get a noise out of mine. A tune leaves me exhausted.