Doctor Who - Series 11

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by COB, Jul 15, 2017.

1. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

2. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Jodie Whittaker it is.

3. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I've not seen her in anything, I'll have to familiarise myself with her :o

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

For one glorious moment, I was thinking of Jodie Prenger.

5. lolly

Shame they picked the wrong St Trinian's 2 actress, but there we go.

[​IMG]

Suomi, Mugatu, Penelope and 2 others like this.
  6. cwej

cwej User

I'm really worried about it. I think viewing figures will go down and everyone will say 'It's not because she's a woman, it's because she's not right for the role' (when what they actually mean is it's entirely because she's a woman...)

7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I don't actually know who this relates to but :D

I also don't care about the show at all - the reliable constant of *sighs* NOT AS GOOD AS LAST YEAR WAS IT from my family at Christmas has kept me well away - but that reveal made me a bit teary

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Well that one's always STUMPED

9. lolly

So do you think they should have stuck with a male actor? I was convinced they would go male ethnic before female.

10. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

My main feeling about all this is still relief that it's not Kris Marshall.

Mericat, Rula Lenska and Diddy like this.
  11. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

As long as they don't spend the first episode squeezing desperate comic mileage out of the "change" they'll be fine. Their best bet is to almost ignore it.

12. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Can we have a sexy tall male companion please?

13. cwej

cwej User

I personally want a female companion, but don't see the UK public buying into it still.

And above all, if they were going with a female companion I'd have probably liked someone a little more eccentric. Maybe I've just never seen Whittaker doing an eccentric role. We'll see...!

14. lolly

God it's DEPRESSING reading online comments. What the fuck is wrong with people?

15. lolly

It's almost enough to make me wish they had cast a minority ethnic male, just to see if people would be as openly racist as they are sexist.

16. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

There's the whiff of a younger Jennifer Saunders about her. Good.

17. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

It'll be interesting to see how they play the whole thing.
    I've only seen her in Broadchurch, so I'm not sure how versatile she is as an actor, but I'm pleasantly excited.

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I feel a bit urgh about this whole circus. They're sort of damned either way (as I probably am for not whooping with excitement).

I guess I don't understand why this has to be a thing. Definitely have more female fronted shows, but lobbying for a show to recast genders is just a bit of a waste of energy. I'm not saying it doesn't matter that many major programmes are male fronted, but this doesn't feel like a brave move, because it's already been done. More like they've finally decided to shut people up now they've got little to lose.

They probably should've gone for a black lesbian, people will be wanting a black Doctor Who still.

I wish they'd just focus their energy about this issue on something that means something.

Well I'm sure I've convinced someone I'm a bigot by now, so I'll stop.

I hope you understand me. Diddy x

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Also I am 1000% in agreement here.

I'm actually excited for the new season, al that said. Can we have a female Davros too? Sarah Harding isn't far off already

20. Slave

Slave User

In fairness, I think it's really only become a thing since the show made it a thing with Missy.

Once you introduce the concept that The Doctor CAN be a woman, people will inevitably ask why he HASN'T before.

Of course, that ignores how much has changed in terms of women's rights and position in society and the media since the show first began and the fact that now is probably the first time that this has been possible. It certainly wouldn't have been conceivable for this to have happened in the '70s, even though the show is now saying that it could have.

I think it's a bold move. And I think in some respects it's necessary. Capaldi's casting was an attempt to try something a bit different against the preceding three Doctors, but largely it hasn't worked in terms of mainstream audience engagement in the show.

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

They've definitely going on about it before Missy! Admittedly they've often focused more on a black Doctor, Idris Elba seems to have been mooted since Tennant

22. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I don't even watch this anymore but I'm hoping it finishes off some of the pathetic manbabies who were already butthurt about female Ghostbusters.

Jætike, Johnkm and Diddy like this.
  23. Mugatu

Mugatu Administrator

Truly disgusted and appalled by the leaked storylines that I've read - not only does the doctoress wear a necklace fashioned from the severed penises of her enemies, but she is also a Gender Studies graduate that travels back in time with her new wheelchair-bound trans companion to stop free speech on college campuses from being invented.

Mericat, Phoenix, Suomi and 7 others like this.
  24. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah this. I just hate that this is a thing that's even argued over. Nice to know people still watch the show somewhere though.

25. cwej

cwej User

Let me answer that for you: they wouldn't. Most racism is very behind closed doors, but for some reason people are constantly sexist and think that that's OK.

Kate likes this.
  26. Slave

Slave User

I notice today that there are going to be much stricter rules on gender stereotyping in advertising - probably for that very reason. Sexism is something that is quite openly reinforced into our culture, whereas racial stereotyping is more taboo.

27. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

And lots of sexually progressive overtures are dismissed as pandering to the PC mob. Not saying that political correctness should run wild, but we're far from that stage as far as mainstream TV goes

28. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I'm not sure which topic to post it in, but here's the first teaser for the Christmas special:

That morphing thing they've done in the first scene is lovely, and is that POLLY? :o

29. supermassive

supermassive transpeople

Is Mark Gatiss really playing HITLER? :D

30. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

31. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

From what I saw of Law & Order, he's actually quite a good actor - I think this could be pretty good if handled well.

32. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

BUT I HATE HIM!

You might as well get bloody Shane Richie. First chance to get a young hot male companion and this happens (and Matt Lucas)

33. cwej

cwej User

Oh My God it IS Polly! :D even if it's just one scene (I'm guessing it might be two scenes - one at the start and one at the end) it would be fabulous to see Ben and Polly. They're two of my favourite early companions.

I think David Bradley is going to be remarkable - much better than Richard Hurndall was.

Not excited by Bradley Walsh AT ALL. Why do we get years of hot young female companions, but when we get a female doctor we get BRADLEY FUCKING WALSH?

34. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

There's room in the TARDIS for more than one companion...

35. cwej

cwej User

Yeah true - but I think if they have two companions it will be one male, one female.

36. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Oh fuck that! I despise the guy.

37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I guess you can see guys anywhere, but FUCK I don't want to see Bradley Walsh

Is this how horny straight Who fans felt when Catherine Tate was cast?

38. lolly

And now she's been reborn as the Nation's Sweetheart, what a fuck up by the BBC!

39. Finn

Finn User

With her lovely natural prosthetic face, Sarah is in talks to play the first ever female Davros

Mugatu, lolly and COB like this.
  40. Slave

Slave User

IF it's true then I can see EXACTLY the route they'll be going down.

I wonder how many times in the first series we'll have Bradley Walsh being presumed to be The Doctor by whoever is in peril because he's a white older male and then a response of "but you're a WOMAN" when they're corrected.