Doctor Who - Series 11

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by COB, Jul 15, 2017.

1. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

It was handled so much better than I'd feared! I liked how they managed to have the Doctor and friends be involved without them actually influencing Rosa in any way, that would've come off as crass.

2. Ag

Ag User

That was quite a curio of an episode!

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Some of the dialogue was as subtle as a GERI HALLIWELL POEM but this was a DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT from the other two.

4. Slave

Slave User

Yeah, I thought it was largely great. A very difficult watch in places and the first time I can think of Doctor Who presenting modern history in such an honest way. A far cry from the way they arbitrarily touched upon the same issue with Martha.

But they really needn’t be so heavy on the plot exposition and that final bit with the Doctor giving everyone a history lesson was a bit :side-eye: even though I know it came from a good place.

5. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Flatmate remarked on that but do have to remember just how many of those watching are kids.

6. cwej

cwej User

I wish they had been brave enough to just go with it being a pure historical like the 60s/70s Whos. There was absolutely no need for the hot guy trying to change history. They could have made a really good episode just by looking in detail at the way Ryan (and Yas to an extent) were treated because of the colour of their skin. If they had just witnessed the Rosa Parks moment, without even knowing they were going to be a part of it, that could have been great.

Overall, this episode was a lot better than the first two, but I think the season is lacking two things so far: 1. A really decent threat... I mean I've not considered them in much danger in a single episode yet and 2. I still am not getting enough STRENGTH from Whittaker's performance. She really really lacks impetus for me. I've always thought of her as a good supporting actor - and in this, she needs to play one of the biggest roles on television and never seems to really lead for me.

7. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

She's just REALLY EARNEST when she's talking to her BEST MATES as opposed to a figure of authority. I think a bit of that is due to the direction she's been given, this whole 'they're a bunch of friends' nonsense.

6.4m in the overnights. Not great, but the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

8. Finn

Finn User

Not great?! What is wrong with you. That's an amazing overnight figure for any tv drama in 2018, let alone Doctor Who. I mean, just look at what it was getting for the previous series.

9. Slave

Slave User

This definitely felt like an episode that will cause a bit of buzz around the show.

I totally agree that the villain was completely superfluous to the episode. Again, that’s the one place where the series is really lacking. Whilst in many respects the show has gone back to basics (especially in terms of how it signposts it’s narrative), the enemies have such convoluted reasons for their actions that they end up being rendered completely unnecessary.

10. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Last series average was 4.8m. A consistent drop from 8.2 to 7.1 to 6.4 means you're not retaining your newly acquired audience for what is probably the most heavily promoted BBC drama this year. It's also crucially doing only 2% better than last year with the under 15s, 5% less on the 16 to 24s and 5% MORE on the +45 age ranges which is the complete OPPOSITE of its targets! Like I said, the net promoter score for this episode is much higher than last week's, but that's OF CONVERTED FANS which is deceiving.

11. Slave

Slave User

Is Doctor Who aimed at 16-24 year olds? I'm not disputing the figures, but that has NEVER struck me as its target audience. I get that it's a lucrative market for the BBC, but none of the merchandising guff is aimed at that market. It's very much kids and adults, no?

12. Finn

Finn User

The 4.8m average you quote there is the average consolidated figure for last year rather than the overnight, no? The overnights were much, much lower (I believe the highest overnight last series received was 4.6 for its first ep)

Ditch the negativity. An overnight of 6.4 million for episode 1 would have been great, let alone for ep 3 after the inevitable drops. I think it would need to dip below the 5s on the overnights to be approaching 'not great' territory tbh. There's still time, but chin up in the meantime love

13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

In the UK, it's a family show that has slowly lost its younger audience over the years, particularly during the Capaldi era. The younger segment (/future license fee payers) is the most valuable audience for the Beeb and also the hardest one for them to recruit. They've gained an uplift in under 15s with Jodie but it's still under target. It's still the #1 performing show for that age range in its slot but that's hardly saying much as even Capaldi could easily achieve that.

In the US, it's aimed squarely at the 16-24s, although the majority of the fanbase *was* 16-24 when the show exploded over there nearly ten years ago so it's also ageing...

It doesn't help that the vast majority of 16-24s shun terrestrial TV, hardly ever use iPlayer and spend all their time on Netflix instead.

14. cwej

cwej User

I think those figures are decent. The big issue is the quality if the actual stories... I WANT TO FEEL SCARED or THREATENED or at least VAGUELY CONCERNED about our heroes.

And Whittaker is just not cutting the mustard.

15. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

:D at this

Peekaboo likes this.
  16. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Chris Noth's gun rant was quite apt. Good episode, shame the spiders weren't particularly threatening.

17. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I enjoyed it, though I felt it either needed to slightly ramp up the horror or be slightly more of a ROMP than it was.

18. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

It was a bit b movie cheese but still quite fun and the fun element is definitely what was missing from the last series.

19. Rita

Rita User

I missed this tonight. I think it will take a lot to beat last weeks for me, but I have recorded it and will be watching tomorrow whilst elbow deep in domino’s ( if I can be bothered to drive to get one).

20. cwej

cwej User

I'm really struggling with this series. Chris Chibnall has brought it right back to 'family viewing' but for this 36-year-old it's quite alienating. It's all a bit twee and 'sweet'. I wish they'd ramp up the horror or have messages that weren't thrown at you like a sledgehammer.

I do like the crew though. I don't think they're particularly great actors, but as characters they're warm and likeable and I love the 4-person TARDIS crews and always have done.

21. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I don't think the storylines are particularly sweet or kiddie - they've dealt with mature themes in Rosa and the first episode and last night's were not necessarily 'child-friendly'. It's just poorly written and with the subtlety of a ton of bricks. Also she's still too EARNEST and her 'kooky' moments ('I should get a flat' etc.) just don't work for me.

6.4m in the overnights so it's holding up.

22. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I was actually thinking how much death has been in this series. There were bodies everywhere this week. In past seasons they’d have unwrapped the webbing and saved them.

23. cwej

cwej User

WTF?!? That's happened about twice EVER in the 10 seasons before, where they've done a reset and everyone's ended up living. The end of The Empty Child and I think one other time. People have died in every episode pretty much.

I don't understand why, but everyone seems to be loving the entire series on Facebook etc... I would go as far as saying it's the weakest of the 11 seasons since the reboot for me so far... they've really got to up the game in the second half.

I don't think Whittaker has played a single TOUGH moment yet and we're nearly halfway into the season.

24. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

FROM WHAT I HEAR :side-eye: Episode 6 is the best of the lot.

25. Rita

Rita User

I got bored during tonight’s episode. The worst of the series so far for me.

26. Slave

Slave User

I thought it started off quite tense, until the alien was revealed to be something that looked like it was designed for the Sarah Jane Adventures.

27. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I'm always partial to a bit of running around in corridors in Who, though the monster did look like something off a cereal advert - the pregnancy was fun though, and I really am appreciating how well they're developing the characters (particularly Ryan so far).

I'm hoping next week is a classic accidentally changing your ancestor's past plot, those are usually good.

28. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Crappy CGI villain which looked more like a Pokémon character, they even gave it a Pokedex style entry to explain what it was.

Next week reminded me instantly of Father's Day from the first series.

29. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I thought this weeks was perfectly enjoyable. The fact it was an alien that wasn’t trying to eat everyone was at least something different.

30. Slave

Slave User

6.12 million last night.

31. Slave

Slave User

Has there been an episode this series where the Doctor has recognised any of the alien creatures?

Usually the explanations are exposition for the audience, but this Doctor feels like someone who’s not seen much at all!

32. cwej

cwej User

Absolutely hated last night's. Boring, uninspiring, predictable and poorly acted too. The set design was nice and I actually didn't mind the fact the creature looked cute - it worked with the Adipose in Partners In Crime.

I genuinely don't think there's been a remotely good piece of sci-fi writing this half-season. A couple of nice moments, but the writing is incredibly pedestrian. The worst thing is that it appears to be pretty much intentional.

Is next week's just going to be like Rosa, but in India to give Yas something to do?

33. cwej

cwej User

I just have to reiterate - the worst thing any episode can do is be boring. That was SO BORING.

34. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The writing is sub par and formulaic but anyone expecting anything different from Chris Chibnall was bound to be disappointed! I haven't watched Broadchurch so I can't comment on that (although on paper it doesn't sound as anything PARTICULARLY GROUNDBREAKING :side-eye:), but IMO he's never written a good episode of Doctor Who or Torchwood - he's done some passable ones, and some dire crap. That's all.

35. cwej

cwej User

I like Broadchurch (well season 1 anyway). But yeah looking at the list of episodes he's written... just meh.

36. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Eh. Another nothing episode with little threat. Next week looks "interesting" though.

37. Rita

Rita User

Oh no I loved that episode. The best since The Rosa Parks episode for me. I found myself getting emotional at the end to which I have never experienced in Doctor Who before.

38. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

It was alright but it was no 'Father's Day'.

39. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

5.8m overnight. Holding up well in the dangerous mid-series lull.

40. Rita

Rita User

Are those ratings still higher than the last series?