Doctor Who - Series 11

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by COB, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Yes, although it's the first episode that falls under the average for the timeslot for BBC One.

2. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I thought that was a beautiful episode, I really enjoyed it and got a bit teary at the end when Yaz was back with her gran :(

Rita likes this.
  3. cwej

cwej User

Well, as much as I've moaned about the lack of threat, that easily went from Episode 5 weakest of the season to Episode 6 best of the season (so far), DESPITE the lack of real threat to the Doctor and her companions.

Once again, just like Rosa, that episode felt like it could have been a Hartnell episode - and frankly once again, they should have done away with the science-fiction element completely. There was enough drama in the family stuff, without needing to introduce those weird demons. I wish they'd just go all out historical - it would a brave choice, but a much better one.

HAVING SAID THAT... we've only got 4 episodes left and we're yet to really run into a decent scary monster or proper baddie. That is a huge mistake in my eyes. I'll be interested to see what people think of Chris Chibnall's legacy once he's done. He's definitely shaped Doctor Who in a way that I would never have expected it to go and I'm not exactly loving it.

4. cwej

cwej User

Interestingly, reviewers have generally been positive about the series, but on IMDB ratings out of 173 episodes the 6 episodes from this season are currently ranked:

The Woman Who Fell To Earth (125th)
    The Ghost Monument (166th)
    Rosa (98th)
    Arachnids In The UK (171st)
    The Tsuranga Conundrum (173rd)
    Demons of the Punjab (134th)

Not a single episode has been ranked in the top half on viewers' votes. That's a pretty damning result so far with 2 of the bottom 3 episodes of all time in the last three episodes on TV.

5. Slave

Slave User

There is definitely a huge shift between viewers and critics - I’m not really sure how to feel.

The viewing figures are holding reasonably well and it’s quite nice for the show to be drawing favourable press coverage after a few years of seemingly just “being there”.

But I’ve struggled with the series. I haven’t found it particularly enjoyable or thrilling and Jodie’s Doctor has been so incredibly weak for me in terms of characterisation. She’s been a passenger in almost every episode, with little authority and seemingly no knowledge of ANYTHING.

Maybe there’ll be some timey-wimey regeneration explanation for her behaviour. But up until now she’s been almost apologetically written, as if having a strong female Doctor might have been TOO MUCH for the purists, so instead they’ve just made her a bit feeble and useless.

6. cwej

cwej User

I don't think she's been useless but she's had next to nothing to sort out. Each episode, they stumble across a minor problem and they resolve it in a couple of minutes and the rest of the time Yas, Graham and Ryan bang on about their family problems like it's an episode of Hollyoaks.

7. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Again I thought that episode was great. The demons were very much second fiddle to the story and that’s what you want.

8. cwej

cwej User

I think we clearly want very different things from Doctor Who. I'd like to feel that our characters were in some kind of peril, but never ever do this season.

9. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Why? What’s the point when we know they won’t kill them off until they’re about to leave (and even then they seem to give them happy endings).

10. Slave

Slave User

No Christmas Day episode this year. Airing on New Year’s Day instead.

11. cwej

cwej User

Rose? Donna? Amy? Rory? Happy endings. They might not have been 'killed' but their endings were insanely sad.

The point being that generally speaking even the guest cast haven't seemed in fear for their lives very much. Anyway, it's a matter of taste. I think this has been the weakest season of the reboot by a country mile - and not because of Whittaker, entirely because of Chibnall.

12. cwej

cwej User

It's finding it's range a little bit better now... I thought Kerblam or whatever it was called was pretty good, had some dark undertones, a reasonable twist and an actual threat to the characters. Better.

13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

It was only better because of how BEIGE most of Series 11 has been. This would have been a NICE ALBUM TRACK in any other series.

cwej likes this.
  14. cwej

cwej User

I think I made it quite clear that I didn’t think it was outstanding. I gave it 7/10 on IMDb.

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think yesterday's episode was the first I've ever watched and enjoyed.

16. Rita

Rita User

I loved yesterday’s episode. I am loving the series as a whole.

17. Rita

Rita User

Before the haters jump on me I must also add I have never watched Doctor Who until this series.

18. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

What made you jump on board so late in the game?

19. Rita

Rita User

I watched Jodie Whittaker on Graham Norton and she seemed lovely so thought I would give it a go.

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Jodie has hooked in two viewers with a combined age of over 90. Just the demographic the BBC is chasing :D

COB likes this.
  21. Slave

Slave User

5.3 million in the overnights...

22. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I had 5.9 which is marginally up from last week.

23. cwej

cwej User

Definitely not jumping on you! I’m thrilled it’s pulled in a new viewer!

BUTTTTT... you should definitely try a few of the selected best episodes of all time and basically all of Season 4 because Catherine Tate is amazing.

Rita likes this.
  24. Slave

Slave User

Season 4 was consistently my favourite - but as you say, mainly because Catherine Tate was brilliant and the dynamic between she and Tennant was palpable in every scene they shared.

That said, it’s the only series where I found the fan speculation about the identify of DoctorDonna far more imaginative than the eventual plot resolution.

25. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Alan Cumming QUEENING IT UP was such a treat tonight!

26. Rita

Rita User

Another great episode this evening.

27. Rita

Rita User

Where can I find the episodes?

28. cwej

cwej User

Seasons 1-10 are on Netflix! Do you want suggested episodes or would you just have a go from Chris Eccleston onwards?

29. Rita

Rita User

Oh no. Just tell me the best ones please.

30. Slave

Slave User

@Rita it’s a predicable choice but you absolutely must watch Blink (series 3, episode 10).

It’s widely heralded as THE best episode since the revival. And it barely features the Doctor at all, so you don’t need to have watched anything else from that series.

Rita likes this.
  31. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

The Unicorn and the Wasp is a good one to watch as a first taste of Series 4.

Rita likes this.
  32. cwej

cwej User

Really?!?!? I would say it was probably the 3rd weakest episode of the season after the Sontaran 2 parter. I mean... it's FINE... it's Season 4, but a very odd choice.

So... my suggestions would be (and I'm pretty much ignoring season finales, even though they're usually the best, because they are full of spoilers and the need to know stuff to get the full impact)...

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (Season 1, Episodes 8/9)
    The Girl In The Fireplace (Season 2, Episode 4) - loads of people love this one, though I don't
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (Season 2, Episode 8/9)
    Blink (Season 3, Episode 10)
    God absolutely ALL of Season 4 because Tennant/Tate together is just a joy... but if I have to choose...
    Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead (Season 4, Episode 8/9)
    Midnight (Season 4, Episode 10)
    The Waters of Mars (Season 4 Specials, [might be down as Season 4, Episode 16])

I'm not so good at Matt Smith/Peter Capaldi recommendations... I'm currently working my way back through the series and at end of Season 4.

Iguana and Rita like this.
  33. Rita

Rita User

Thank you for the recommendations. I will get stuck in at some point when I have some spare time in the holidays.

34. Slave

Slave User

The Van Gogh episode is one of the few Matt Smith ones that I’d recommend. Not even because it’s particularly good but because it’s the best chance a casual viewer would have of dropping into the show at that point.

Capaldi’s run wasn’t much cop either in terms of cherry picking episodes, although Heaven Sent was pretty good - but again I’m not sure how it would work out of context. And for me his final series was certainly the most consistent since series 4, albeit without the highs.

cwej and Rita like this.
  35. cwej

cwej User

The problem with Smith and Capaldi's runs is that with Moffat as showrunner things became very timey-wimey and complex, which is great if you're in for the long haul, but not particularly great for picking one off episodes.

It's really interesting just how distinctive the three eras: Davis/Moffat/Chibnall are so far - they have far more impact than the change of lead actor does, which I probably didn't realise as a kid. I wonder if they could have saved Doctor Who by getting rid of John Nathan-Turner in the 80s - 9 years was clearly a bit too much...!!

36. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I was very into tonight's episode, I enjoyed how everything I thought I knew about where the story was going got completely upended halfway through - Bradley Walsh was very good with some emotional material to work with, and the little Graham/Ryan scene at the end made me a bit teary :(

37. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Some good ideas marred by dodgy acting ALL AROUND, some clumsy lines and a fucking frog in a chair played completely straight.

38. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I for one was VERY into the frog.

Rita likes this.
  39. cwej

cwej User

Started well, but thought it got a bit messy and lots of people just aimlessly wandering around until they found Grace. I thought the acting was pretty poor overall too. And the frog... WTAF?

It's better than some of the earlier episodes this season, but not up to the quality of Episodes 6-8. It really is ridiculous that that was the penultimate episode, when you look back at how high the stakes were in penultimate episodes in previous seasons - there's nothing hooking the viewer to come back, there's no cliffhangers, no baddies, no nothing. Once again, the bad guy turned out to be someone who just wanted a friend basically... FFS.

40. Slave

Slave User

5.1 million in the overnights. A significant drop from last week.