Doctor Who - Series 11

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by COB, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Loved that episode, and the frog!

2. cwej

cwej User

I really would have liked that episode if it wasn't the PENULTIMATE EPISODE OF THE SEASON. Stakes currently at ZERO.

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Don't worry guys, the finale will have you all psyched up :side-eye:

cwej likes this.
  4. Slave

Slave User

So the New Year’s Day episode is titled “Resolution”, although fan speculation is that the full title will be revealed as “Resolution of the Daleks”.

Also there’s unlikely to be a new series until early 2020. Which probably isn’t a bad time to screen the show, but I can’t actually say I’ll be on the edge of my seat. I haven’t watched the last 4 episodes - and I’m not sure I really CARE to watch them. This series has been so DULL.

5. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

NO LIES DETECTED.

Skip the rest of Series 11 and watch Resolution.

6. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Well I'm looking forward to it :)

Diddy likes this.
  7. cwej

cwej User

I would say, the last 4 episodes have been relatively better so are worth a watch - but there's no single classic in there.

8. cwej

cwej User

I'm not the biggest daleks fan, but man I'd LOVE them to be in it, to provide some death and destruction. Give us Davros too please.

9. Slave

Slave User

I will watch the episodes at some point. It’s just a shame because Doctor Who has never been a “I’ll record that and watch the series when I have time” show, but it really hasn’t justified watching live.

Whether the BBC knew what they were getting before they moved it or not, they absolutely made a great call on the time slot. This series would not have held up on a Saturday at all.

10. cwej

cwej User

Well the finale was the best episode of the season for me. I felt GENUINE threat... and spent the entire episode going
    please don't kill Graham, please don't kill Graham - so so pleased they didn't!

It still isn't BIG like Davies and Moffat Who, but it felt bigger than we've been used to this season.

11. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

That was great, just a nice tight sci-fi story with some interesting concepts. It's strange not having plot arcs like before, but I'm used to it now and don't really mind - if we're just going to get standalone episodes, at least they've generally been well written.

12. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

One thing I'm REALLY not into is the next time trailers - I understand keeping some mystery and surprises under wraps (and it made a lot of sense before the series started), but it's becoming comical how little they're giving away! I'm worried it's not giving people enough of a hook to tune in next time :(

13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

*puts corporate hat on* That has been fed back to Monsieurs Chibnall and Strevens :david: but obviously WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING and THEY KNOW EVERYTHING because look EIGHT MILLION VIEWERS :side-eye:

I had to watch the finale for a second time tonight and personally it was SO SLOOOOOW and there's SO MUCH BLABBERING it makes me switch off. Things I liked: Tim Shaw OUT-ACTED everyone (to then get defeated by a shitty laser shot on the foot :zombie:) and there was a GENUINE sense of MOMENTUM and DANGER in the last 15 minutes or so that has been missing from every other episode.

Overall, the series has been DULL. Jodie has been hit and miss, I think there's potential there but there's a few other times where she's SO KEEN and SO EARNEST that my mind wonders if the directors wouldn't have a private word with her and say 'are you sure THAT'S how you want to play it?'. She's just playing the part, not embodying it, I don't see the twinkle in her eye at all. The less said about the two cardboard cutout companions and the sometimes EMBARRASSING acting (hello Tosin of the Karen Gillan school of delivering ALL lines the same way) the better. Only Graham sticks out and it's not like it's an EARTH-SHATTERING TAKE on the down to earth reluctant companion the show has done plenty of other times.

14. cwej

cwej User

The thing that made me enjoy this episode the most was the fact that it DID have an arc linking it to a previous episode. I hope they realise that is such a positive and do more of it next season. Tim Shaw is easily the best creation of Season 11 (including Doctor 13 and the 3 companions) so I'm glad he wasn't killed off. He feels like a Skeletor/Darth Vader figure and I hope they can continue building him and perhaps give him some real mythology.

Agreed that Tosin is one of the worst actors the show has ever had long-term. Right up there with Matthew Waterhouse as Adric.

15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I haven’t watched any of this series yet and I’m not sure why I haven’t. Maybe misogyny. Anyway I’m sure I will, but there’s a “Skeletor/Darth Vader” figure, and his name is Tim Shaw? He sounds like he should be an R.E. Teacher

16. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I thought that was a bit meh for a final episode. But overall still the best series in about 5 years.

17. Slave

Slave User

5.3 million in the overnights.

Perhaps more concerning is that the timeshift for the previous episode added just under a million viewers, which suggests that a lot of people did just lose interest as the series progressed.

18. cwej

cwej User

LOL yes his name is Tim Shaw. :D

19. Slave

Slave User

Well, I quite enjoyed the New Year's episode.

I thought the way the Dalek latched onto its host was REALLY effective - so much better than the human Dalek concept during RTD's stint.

The only thing that didn't make much sense was how they took the Dalek down at the end - I know the Doctor had said a few times that it was weak, but isn't the shell generally supposed to shock people? Having everyone run around the perimeter of the room and GRAB the Dalek's lasers and guns seemed like something that someone would've done in the past if it was that easy?

I did think Jodie's performance was a little more convincing when she was dealing with an enemy she knew. But she's still a little bit flippant at times of high drama. I'm glad the show is taking a break until 2020, not that I think much will change for the next series.

20. Alex

Alex Is this a triangle?

So the woman who killed people with the dalek on her back just went back to normal...

21. Slave

Slave User

5.15 million in the overnights - being painted as a disaster but it was fairly consistent with everything else last night:

Luther: 5.63m
    Coronation Street: 5.39m
    Emmerdale: 5.17m
    Doctor Who: 5.15m (22.4%)

22. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Well, it was supposed to be "event TV", as was Luther. When a soap can pull more viewers than your special episode you know your ratings honeymoon is truly over.

23. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

It's a hard sell as event TV when it's effectively the last in the series and there was so much attention at the start.

And in any case, it does so well on time shift that overnights are less relevant for this show than practically anything else.

24. Slave

Slave User

The schedules last night were daft. Doctor Who went up against Emmerdale, Coronation Street went up against EastEnders.

I think the only show that didn’t have direct competition was Luther, so in that context I’d have expected it to perform even better.

25. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

What audience did EastEnders manage?

26. Slave

Slave User

4.74 million.

27. cwej

cwej User

I've still not even watched this - Season 11 has been such a damp squib that I'm not even that interested to.