Donna's INTERESTING THINGS ON BBC4 topic

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Shirley, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

:D

Faloola enjoy do the social comment in ALL ASPECT

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I recall Faloola APPAL at inclusion of DIRTY LADY GARDEN EXPOSE MADONNA in DISCO LIST

3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'll be watching Dirk Gently tonight, the third of three shows filmed last year using my office as a location. Plus it's got Darren Boyd in it, who I always QUITE fancied, but now do all the more after perving at him out of the window for hours while they were filming. What a cracking pair of thighs.

4. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

Thanks to Moopy, I was calling a friend of a friend "Faloola" for a good YEAR before I realised her name is actually Fionnula.

5. Shirley

I must say DR HELEN CASTOR'S programme about MEDIAEVAL QUEENZ has been quite FABULOUS apart from when she keeps going on about "THEY WERE EVEN CALLED SHE WOLVES, that's SHE WOLVES, just like the TITLE OF MY BOOK, SHE WOLVES"

Not BBC4 but quite good fun is the prog that's on Channel 4 again tonight where PROFESSOR NIALL FERGUSON goes to China and is AGOG that no one seems to want to say anything BAD about CHAIRMAN MAO

Funny that :eyes:

But it's quite interesting how much ACCESS to people and places he's been given compared to the VERY RECENT PAST

6. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

She did rather hammer that point home, somewhat ill-advisedly considering her slight lisp. I thought it was a really interesting series, even the Tudor one which was seemingly well-covered ground.

On a sort of related note I read a while back the BBC are doing a female-focused Wars of the Roses drama series based on Philippa Gregory's novels.

7. Shirley

The show about ART NOUVEAU is quite FUN, particularly as it involves the presenter interviewing a large array of COMPLETELY MAD PEOPLE

And there's nothing like an AUBREY BEARDSLEY

[​IMG]

LOVELY

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. Shirley

BBC2 again, but PROFESSOR MARY BEARD is one of the BATTIEST PEOPLE ever to have graced my TELLY BOX

[​IMG]

I didn't think the CONTENT of her show was ALL THAT but she made up for it with SHEER ECCENTRIC ENTHUSIASM :disco:

9. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

It's Reggae Night tonight. LOVELY

10. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

Worth it for the shonky Althea & Donna performance alone.

11. wendy the goat

wendy the goat i like turtles

Oh i watched the Reggae Britannia program. There was a chap on it with REET SCARY nostrils.

12. Shirley

YAY more reggae on BBC2 right now

Including ALTHIA AND DONNA vs the DECIDEDLY NON-SKANKING BBC ORCHESTRA :D

13. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I'm currently watching PROFESSOR JAMES SHAPIRO telling me all about SHAKESPEARE in the REIGN OF KING JAMES I.

I don't like him. He's terribly BORING but also a BIT SILLY, and far too much of an American for this sort of thing [/casual racism]. Also a not-at-all-crackpot documentary i saw the other week has basically tipped me over into the thinking that Shakespeare probably didn't write his plays so it's ALL LIES ANYWAY. And the (male) deaf helper doing the sign language in the corner is wearing an ALICE BAND which really doesn't seem right for BBC4.

All in all 5/10. I'm hoping the rest of the Beeb's quite delightul looking Shakespeare season is better. I personally have high hopes for Felicity Kendal's Indian Shakespeare Quest.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. Shirley

That sign language man with the ALICE BAND is on BBC NEWS right now

[my late grandad]JUST GET A HAIRCUT MAN[/my late grandad]

15. Shirley

Lovely show about the history of TELEVISION CENTRE on right now

MAGGIE PHILBIN, SARAH GREENE, NERYS HUGHES and BRIAN BLESSED all ALREADY SPOTTED

16. COB

COB Pop it in here thanks

I can't believe they bothered digging up TEGAN JOVANKA for this :D She must have been there anyway for some reason!

17. COB

Ooh, there's KATY MANNING NUDE as well :disco:

18. Shirley

DAME JUDITH HANN

Also nice to see they are still keeping TRADITIONAL STYLE QUEENS in gainful employment behind the scenes

19. Shirley

I thought BIDDY BAXTER was DEAD

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

According to wikipedia she was born in 1933

I'm QUITE CERTAIN she was about EIGHTY back when I watched it in the late 70s :confused:

21. COB

Another FAB old queen, complete with a knotted scarf :o

22. Shirley

Well I never thought I'd see SIR BRIAN BLESSED blowing up a FRENCH LETTER and regaling us with a tale about how he tied it to a statue's COCK

23. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

*switches to BBC4 immediately*

24. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

I was going to bump this thread earlier to say that PUNK BRITANNIA is coming next month, but then I remembered no-one would care :(

25. Shirley

That QUEEN's got ALL the TALES

I'll watch PUNK BRITANNIA

26. COB

Joan Collins and her packed lunch - "how CHIC :disco:"

:eyes:

27. Shirley

"Is that YOU MAUREEN?"

The BBC backstage queens should get their own SHOW

28. Shirley

I simply cannot believe that anecdote about Dame Thora Hird

They've GONE TOO FAR NOW :evil:

29. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I think I saw the BBC Television Centre is repeated on Saturday night, I'll have to catch it then as it didn't fit in with my recording schedule tonight.

I wasn't buying her attempts to convince me that the ordinary people of Rome were more interesting than the rich, fabulous ones but she certainly gave it a good go. I especially enjoyed her rolling around in the filthy remains of a Roman high rise to try and get an idea of how many people would fit - her colleague seemed quite bemused.

30. Shirley

And tonight...BARRY MANILOW!

Thanks but NO THANKS :gross:

31. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Did anyone catch the Nina Conti documentary they've been showing a few times this week?

It was wonderfully sweet in parts but what a VERY ODD WOMAN.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TpAmQg9I2pg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  32. Shirley

I am AGOG with JOY that this is now AVAILABLE for YOUR PERUSAL and ENJOYMENT on YOUTUBE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XewsEd66aJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

33. TurnerPrize

Oh i came in here to mention the Nina Conti thing! I think the oddness was put on for the camera, but couldn't be fully sure (a definite plus).

I thought it was really really brilliant though, it got so many different emotions out of me over the hour and i'd never seen anything like it before. I wasn't expecting it to be so DARK either. The bit where she was in bed with the puppet version of her dead OAP ex lover's detached head, and they were having a conversation (voiced by her) about how she got her first puppet on the day that her (their?) aborted baby would have been born was really quite something. I wouldn't want to be left alone in that museum for dead people's puppets either. iPlayer it people.

Oh and that guy who could move his lips in a different way to the words he was saying so that he looked like he'd been badly dubbed was AMAZING. Her shows are apparently pretty great too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  34. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The dead baby conversation was SO FUCKED UP. Obviously there was a huge element of it being a performance, but I loved how you couldn't really tell where the line was, and I suspect neither could she at times.

The "We're immortal" speech was so moving. :(

35. TurnerPrize

Ooh, she's got another show on tomorrow (well technically today now) night:

Also, BREAKOUT STAR ALERT. As mentioned in one of the vv good reviews for the documentary (even AA "i fucking hate everything" Gill is raving about it in tomorrow's Sunday Times) the clip(s) on youtube of her routine on Russell Howard have had well over 2 million views since june 1st. The comedian who had that slot the week before (so has been on youtube longer) has had 20k.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eFafj0ystrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I doubt she'll top the documentary for me, but that still made me laugh a fair bit (paticularly after the 10minute mark) and id love to see her get some proper sort of success. I swear she's been sporadically popping up on tv shows for AGES, and if people like that awful professional scouser comedian with the shit hair (i've forgotten his name but HE'S SO RUBBISH) can somehow sell out arenas on multiple nights then i don't see why she can't do big business.

edit: John Bishop. HIM.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  36. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

The second Nina Conti thing tonight was WEIRD. For the first half I thought it was a total disappointment, just a weak Louis Theroux thing with her being snarky via the Monkey. It also seemed curiously pointless, as although I don't have any time for new age stuff myself, it seems that if you are going to give it a go you really need to open yourself to it, and she was just using Monkey as a massive psychological shield.

But then in the second half when Monkey left the narrative altogether, it got a whole lot more intense and uncomfortable, especially at the end with her having a massive breakdown over the abortion. I found it really hard to watch. That said the actual plotline of Monkey being taken away felt a bit obviously premeditated, what with the camera crew filming the New Age folks plotting and the Monkey conveniently being left in a bag.

Not sure what to think really. Not a patch on the first part, but more interesting than it first appeared.

The breakout star was the middle aged FREAK who was doing something deeply odd in every shot he appeared in. Best of course being his screaming fit on the mattress :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  37. TurnerPrize

WHERE'S DONNA GONE? :(

38. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

*Awaits "He's dead, love" response*

39. TurnerPrize

:(

I hope he's just having an extended summer break in Bournemouth or something.

40. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I actually asked the same question the other day. I'm hoping it's not another DONNA WINTER EXODUS :(