Drag Race Podcasts

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Phoenix, May 26, 2014.

1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I never listen to Hot Goss and it really annoys me that they put both shows out on the same RSS feed. It's really not good PODCAST ETIQUETTE.

2. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Well QUITE

Back when I used to tolerate Freakonomics they used to do that all the time pushing their game show.

See also: rebroadcasts when they’re on holiday so their ranking stays up, even if it’s just recycled old shit you can listen to on their feed anyway

3. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Why is Willam so up Delta’s butt? She doesn’t miss a chance to mention how Delta is the queen of queens all because Delta now has issues with WoW. It’s a bit obnoxious.

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Those clips from other shows are awful. I mean, it's not like they are choosing the best bits - it literally sounds like they have selected any minute at random from the podcast.

5. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

William IS obnoxious, that's the point! But I get what you're saying @Phoenix. It's Mimi I'm Furst (however you spell it) that I almost feel sorry for, as everyone, even Alaska, lays into her :D

This week's Classique was excellent. I don't remember the guest judge form the show, but she was superb on this. That story about them all raving about her TV show when it hadn't even aired yet... plus the hot goss of Ru stealing the good critique lines and having an earpiece (I assume that's who she was talking about) :disco:

I supposed Hot Goss should be spun off into its own thing now. They clearly just tried it as a one off in the summer, not knowing if there was any appetite for it, and lo and behold, it's taken off. Yes, the political segment is a bit basic, but they're coming at it honestly and I think it's great to get some of these topics under the nose of their listeners.

I wonder how much doolah they're making from this? What's The Tee seems to be going gangbusters (though Shaun Hayes was a typically surly comedian off camera last week) and I think Shangela has set one up now too.

6. lolly

Ru stealing lines wasn't new even then though, was it? I remember them pointing out before there was a comment Merle Ginsberg (RIP) made one week to no response which Ru recycled word for word to rapturous giggling.

I like Willam. He just needs to be tempered.

7. lolly

Alright Mary is now covering season 3 of Dragula week by week.

8. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I gave up on Alright Mary a few years ago. It's the very definition of too much and they take offence at EVERYTHING. I used to wonder why they bothered watching at all.

The only amusement used to be the real problem they used to have with noted alcohol peddling queen Dame Jeffrey Moran.

They should dig him up for a guest spot on Race Chaser :disco:

9. lolly

I only discovered it last week. And yes, they are a bit much. And clearly somewhat in thrall to the Boulets (and Louisianna Purchase). I've paused the second episode because at 80 minutes or so it's more than I can take in one sitting.

10. lolly

And yes, Pass Around Party Bottom Jeffrey Moran for Race Chaser, please!

Although unless he had a very bad edit, I doubt very much he is a PERSONALITY ARTISTÉ

11. wurst

wurst User

Has a queen ever managed to effortlessly reinvent themselves to be constantly relevant as Alaska :disco: TRULY the All Star of All Stars, and IMO the peak of Drag Race distilled into one fabulous human being.

Willam I struggle with. She's SUCH an unreliable narrator (her tall stories on the pod are frequently ripped apart on Reddit :D) and whilst obviously hilarious at time, I just don't think she's a particularly nice person. Some of the Mimi Imfurst stuff drifted from funny stories to straight up being HORRIBLE, and I don't think it's cool to rip somebody as obviously fragile as Mimi on such a large platform with such a passionate following (Race Chaser gets 100,000+ listeners an episode these days so it's hardly NICHE).

I'd love to hear Alaska give it a go with another co-host - JINKX would be the obvious candidate ofc.

12. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Alaska really is the most perfect drag race queen and has always been my favourite, but Willam whom I disliked has been such a revelation on this show. I agree though that it’s a bit annoying how nice he is about Delta (just to make up for that Emmy debacle?).

I feel sorry about Mimi Imfurst too. Why do they all hate her?

Christian likes this.
  13. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I don’t really have much time for the political Hot Goss unless it’s something they ACTUALLY know anything about.

Throwing Shade is MUCH better for that

14. lolly

The political section of the show with Willam and Gia last week was borderline painful.

15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Willam: “umm so the Amazon is on fire, it’s where all our oxygen comes from and umm *continues reading MS Paint Instagram post about it*
    Gia half listening: “ohhh werkkkk.... whaaatt?”

Chlammy likes this.
  16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Hot Goss has Delta on this week, she confirms she no longer has any working relationship with World of Wonder and seems justifiably rather bitter, so I guess you can add her to the ever-lengthening list of queens who now hate RuPaul.

Alaska doesn't say a WORD the entire episode. :D

17. lolly

Yes, I enjoyed that episode a lot, and it does flesh out a lot of what I've read elsewhere.

18. lolly

I don't think Delta came across as particularly bitter though - more someone who was clearly very hurt by the experience and is now coming out of dealing with that.

19. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh no, I agree. But also, with my business head on, she really should have just joined the union...

20. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Yeah her issues seem to stem from her not being a member of the union so she missed on work and allowed someone else to come in and take her spot.

WoW is obviously messy/disorganized/not the best place to work and Ru is a cold bitch but she also didn’t help her case.

21. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Also the way she kept saying “esteemed organization” made me laugh

22. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’ve been listening in chunks and I was going to say “oh no silly vor, Alaska was just in the prerecorded ads (jammed in like I don’t know what)” but she was there :D

Poor Drelta, I totally recognise her approach here, she knows WoW were cunts, and she sort of wants to say it, but there’s still a part of her thinking it’s her fault somehow

23. lolly

Listening to What's The Tee? for the first time in ages, as Alan Carr and Graham Norton are guests. 35 insufferable minutes of Ru unbearably prattling on about his inner child, and then for the Alan Carr interview, Ru and Michelle sounding like they are inside a biscuit tin. On the other side of the studio.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The Drag Race loons seem to hate What’s The Tee (and Ru too for that matter) but I think it’s actually very good and a real HOOT.

25. lolly

Too much psychobabble for me, I'm afraid. It needs a good guest to be worth a listen.

Diddy likes this.
  26. Chlammy

Chlammy Climb on through my window.

As much as I enjoy Mano and various guests dedicating entire episodes of analysing untucked from All Stars 1, I miss original Joel Kim Booster and Nicole Byer (sometimes) What the Tuck.

27. lolly

Just confirmed on Hot Goss that Race Chaser will start covering Drag Race UK :disco:

Ag likes this.
  28. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Alaska and Willam are doing a Race Chaser UK tour in November.

22nd November: Glasgow 02 Academy
    25th November: London Shepherd's Bush 02 Empire
    26th November: Manchester Academy
    27th November: Dublin The Helix

29. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

yeah I skipped almost all the episodes that didn’t have Nicole on them. It seems they’re back on schedule for UK.

I’m listening to Race Chaser season 2 recap and just got to the bit where they brought in a DJ who told a story about how Tyra threw her shoe during a performance and nearly struck another queen :D also Pandora saying how she (Tyra) threw her food at a waiter.

Alex likes this.
  30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

It’s been a hodgepodge week for Alaska & Willam after that chaotic Race Chaser done via intermittent 3G, and surely one of the most phoned-in (literally and figuratively) Hot Goss.

the political segment especially, they like doing the song but the segment is often just parroting a something Dipper read online with no research, and neither of them knowing what to say about it. I couldn’t believe Willam’s passionate plea for “better water in Flint, gun control and at least one more thing but I don’t know what that thing is”, and that gun control is “probably the most important issue in our WORLD”.

I thought Alaska would be better but she’s just there going “nnnnyass” over a tinny Skype link

31. lolly

It was a poor episode of Hot Goss, wasn't it? I do think Alaska usually is better at that sort of thing. Well, she's definitely much better than Willam, who is normally utterly clueless about pretty much everything. I put Alaska's relative silence this time due to her being on the Heels of Hell tour and unprepared. And that bloody link dropping out all the time as you say.

For the main Race Chaser show I can understand them doing them by Skype while they are following a currently broadcast season, but when they aren't (and for Hot Goss) I think it would be better if they just didn't bother and took a break, or got a guest in.

32. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Just not Gia

actually after getting sick of Hot Goss (peaking at Willam’s solo podcast with his Amazon rainforest but), I enjoyed the one with Peppermint and Shangela.

they should get more guest queens, it’s usually pretty good

33. Ag

Ag User

They're SO misinformed that week (Willam especially!)

34. lolly

There really were a few HOWLERS, weren't there? I think Alaska being on tour is doing the show no favours at all.

35. Ag

Ag User

She's back in the latest episode.

36. lolly

The official podcast with Scarlett Moffatt (assumed by Willam to be a drag queen) is decent as well. And they get the departed queen each week in for an interview as well.

Chlammy likes this.
  37. lolly

She's on Skype still, as the Heels of Hell tour is continuing, isn't she? Hence (I hope) complete lack of research.

38. lolly

I've ditched the Alright Mary podcast as they really do witter on endlessly. And the United Queendom podcast split their Snatch Game coverage into two episodes covering nearly two hours. Spending about five hours listening to four podcasts devoted to a one hour show is more than slightly ridiculous.

39. dUb

dUb BUSY

Not a podcast, but I'm really enjoying this review series. Dixie Lynn Cartwright (on the left) is easily one of the funniest queens I've come across

40. dUb

dUb BUSY