Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Eileen, May 18, 2011.

1. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Did you? I thought our recent quizzing in Highgate was the first time I'd seen you since March. I'm clearly going senile.

2. Eileen

358. RICK ASTLEY - Whenever You Need Somebody

Weeks at No. 1: 1

28/11/1987

Track Listing:

1. Never Gonna Give You Up
    2. Whenever You Need Somebody
    3. Together Forever
    4. It Would Take A Strong Strong Man
    5. The Love Has Gone
    6. Don't Say Goodbye
    7. Slipping Away
    8. No More Looking For Love
    9. You Move Me
    10. When I Fall In Love

[​IMG]

This is the first #1 of 2, for Rick Astley. I bet you weren't expecting that 6 months ago.

There were four top-3 hits from this album and it begins with his only #1. In fact, looking down his list of hits, they tail off VERY quickly after that initial run. After 8 top 10 hits, the next two get to 58 and 70.

The SAW-sound is most welcome. Despite being really quite 80s, the hi-NRG tracks here sound more modern than T'Pau just before it. Second single and #3 hit Whenever You Need Somebody begins with the same drum intro and a similar synth backing. It's a track I've barely heard, despite its worth. Perhaps it's too similar to the #1. Is this really the title track? That would be like Whigfield's album being called Another Day. Together Forever, yet another single from the album feels like it's had more relatively recent airplay. Quintessentially late 80s SAW, it sounds a bit like Kylie's Got to Be Certain.

OK, the next set of tracks are all album tracks until the closer. Let's see what we're in for with Rick Astley album tracks... Although having said that, It Would Take a Strong Strong Man was a Canadian #1 and US top 10. It's got a bit more of an old-fashioned sound to it, almost 1950s sounding, if it weren't for the production. The Love Has Gone is the first track on the album to be neither written nor produced by SAW. I'm not sure you would be able to tell.

Don't Say Goodbye was apparently a single in Italy and sounds like yet another hit, albeit variations on the same theme. The next three tracks are all penned by Astley and produced by a range of producers. Whenever I think of tracks being written by Astley, I can't help but think of the awful, and awkwardly titled, Shakespeare's (Way With) Words. Well Don't Say Goodbye isn't as bad as all that. It's got a funky mid-tempo backing and the usual lyrics on love. The Astley-penned tracks are perhaps slightly more r'n'b orientated than the SAW ones.

The album ends with the Nat King Cole cover. Vying for the Xmas #1 that year, it peaked at #2 but had to settle for #4 Christmas week. The top 3 were made up of the Pet Shop Boys, the Pogues and Mel Smith / Kim Wilde.

3. octophone

octophone ADMIN, bitches!!

Arse on a shitty stick, no less.

4. octophone

Did we know that John Peel invented the RickRoll?

When announcing the 1987 Festive 50, he got to no. 26 and played the opening bars of RA's rendition of "When I Fall In Love". After a few seconds, he faded it out, said "only kidding" and fired up "Athlete Cured" by The Fall, the real no. 26. I still have the tape of that somewhere...

5. Eileen

I do love a bit of John Peel. He really was irreplaceable. Whilst his legacy has centred around his more "cooler" taste in music, there isn't anyone championing the happy hardcore stuff he used to play.

6. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I have a high tolerance for MOR 80s nonsense but even I find T'pau's greatest hits a real chore.

Heart & Soul is ace though. Surprised Eileen didn't know it.

7. Eileen

Also, I'm quite pleased with my last two write ups. They haven't bored me to tears reading them back for corrections for once.

8. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I loved that T'Pau album at the time. Or at least I told myself I did. I have no recollection of the last two tracks though, looking at the tracklist.

And I can't remember any of their other singles (bar 'Secret Garden', which I also loved) that would have made the Greatest Hits. I seem to recall buying but not particularly enjoying the second album, but nothing after.

9. VoR

I think 'Only The Lonely' is the only post-Bridge of Spies single that made any impression on me whatsoever.

10. Breathe

Breathe User

Bridge of spies is one of my favourite albums EVER!!!!!! Rage was also unbelievablely fantastic.

11. Eileen

359. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Now That's What I Call Music 10

Weeks at No. 1: 6

05/12/1987

Track Listing:

Disc 1:

1 . FREDDIE MERCURY - Barcelona
    2 . PET SHOP BOYS - Rent
    3 . THE COMMUNARDS - Never Can Say Goodbye
    4 . M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up The Volume
    5 . HUE & CRY - Labour Of Love
    6 . JELLYBEAN - The Real Thing
    7 . JOHNNY HATES JAZZ - I Don't Want To Be A Hero
    8 . THE STYLE COUNCIL - Wanted
    9 . T'PAU - China In Your Hand
    10 . HEART - Alone
    11 . KISS - Crazy Crazy Nights
    12 . BILLY IDOL - Mony Mony
    13 . WHITESNAKE - Here I Go Again
    14 . THE ALARM - Rain In The Summertime
    15 . MARILLION - Sugar Mice

Disc 2:

1 . WET WET WET - Sweet Little Mystery
    2 . CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT - Misfit
    3 . LOS LOBOS - La Bamba
    4 . THE FAT BOYS with THE BEACH BOYS - Wipeout
    5 . BANANARAMA - Love In The First Degree
    6 . CLIFF RICHARD - My Pretty One
    7 . KAREL FIALKA - Hey Matthew
    8 . JAN HAMMER - Crockett's Theme
    9 . NINA SIMONE - My Baby Just Cares For Me
    10 . ERASURE - The Circus
    11 . THE HOUSEMARTINS - Build
    12 . LEVEL 42 - It'S Over
    13 . A.B.C. - When Smokey Sings
    14 . SQUEEZE - Hourglass
    15 . THE POGUES feat. KIRSTY MacCOLL - A Fairytale Of New York

[​IMG]

The legend of the Now series continues with yet another instalment and yet another Christmas #1. This is the last #1 of 1987 and, looking down the track list, it looks like a burst of joy.

It begins with a track I only first heard in 1992, when it was re-issued due to the Olympic connection. I didn't like it at all at the time but it serves as a spectacular opener to this album with its piano line and swelling orchestration. In fact the album opens with a trio of queer artists as it continues with the perennially popular PSB. I was never a major fan of PSB but I've grown to like quite a bit of their back catalogue over time (and I think the new album Super is well... just that). The synth riff on Rent comes across like proto-Eurodance and is very good indeed. Filling up many a gay bar in my youth (and this was as late as 2001), the Communards version of Never Can Say Goodbye is a worthy cover. Did they release anything that wasn't a cover?

We then get one of the best and most original #1s of the 1980s. Not the first house track to get to #1 but certainly one of them. It eschewed the usual song structure of verse – bridge – chorus and gave us a funky, bassline-driven track full of samples and scratches. The album then takes a turn for the worse with the wanky saxophone riffs of Hue and Cry. The house-lite of the Jellybean track isn't one I'm familiar with but it's worth a listen with its soulful vocal and organ riff. I'm not sure why they sandwiched it in between the two yuppie pop tracks of Hue and Cry and Johnny Hates Jazz (more from them soon) but never mind. I'm not familiar at all with Style Council era Paul Weller, although they did cover house classic Promised Land by Joe Smooth. Having heard Wanted, it's probably best forgotten. A second play on the countdown for China in Your Hand is welcome but my love for the ludicrous Alone by Heart knows no bounds.

I'm not sure we've had much cheesy rock on this album but, after Heart we get some prime 80s rock cheese from Kiss, Billy Idol and Whitesnake. They're varying degrees of fun. I recognise the chorus of the Whitesnake track but not sure I knew it was them before. The Alarm track is an odd one. It's a rock track but has a bit of a dance beat to it. The boring acoustic guitar-backed Sugar Mice can eff right off.

The inclusion of the yuppie pop on this compilation is quite insidious. Instead of doing the usual thing Now does and putting the similar tracks next to each other, it has peppered the album with it, which is probably why disc 2 begins with a dreadful double-header of Wet Wet Wet and Curiosity Killed the Cat. A second play on the marathon for the latter is totally unwelcome. This leads into the cheesy, but now rarely played novelty record from Los Lobos. Has anyone here seen the film of the same name? It's about Richie Valens who died on the same plane crash as Buddy Holly.

Despite it reaching #2, I barely remember this Beastie Boys-esque version of Wipeout. The added beats give the track some muscularity but the rapping is quite poor. This leads into a late 80s favourite and probably the best Bananarama track. We're then “treated” to a long forgotten Cliff track and one-hit-wonder Karel Fialka, which sounds better here than I remember it when it was played constantly on VH1. However, the Now people clearly have done their homework, as Fialka of Czech-descent is put next to Czech-born Jan Hammer. The splendid Crockett's Theme is one of my favourite synth tracks from the 80s. I've never seen Miami Vice, so have no idea about how it was used within the TV show, but as a stand alone track I've always thought it to be a fabulously brooding melancholy record.

The eclecticism continues with a re-issue of the classy Simone track, which had been used in an advert. Can anyone remember what it was an advert for? Wikipedia just says “perfume” and the Kutner et al book surprisingly doesn't elaborate. One of the lesser-known Erasure tracks is next but I'm a major fan and I think The Circus is immense. More downbeat than previous singles, the lyrics give a nod to working class life under Thatcher's Britain. I'm not familiar with The Housemartiins beyond the #1 but Build sounds like what was soon to come from The Beautiful South and is worth a listen.

My thoughts on Level 42 are well documented and I won't bother repeating myself here. When Smokey Sings gives clues as to why ABC's success dropped off dramatically after the first album and the Squeeze track is well past their best material. The album ends with possibly one of the most overplayed tracks of all time. With streaming at an all time high, how will it serve the track come this Christmas? I can now see this and Mariah vying for #1.

12. Indie

Indie Go away, Wesley

I have Now 10 on cassette. I don't think i bought it though.

13. Eileen

What are your favourites, Indie?

14. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

No wonder the attachment to Bananarama is so strong - they're not in the most amazing company here. PSB's Rent is so miserably aspirational - I do love Liza's gin-breath torch version almost just as much.

15. octophone

Is it 1988 compilation albums were hived off into their own chart?

16. Ag

Ag User

Now 13 was #1 the first week of 1989 and then Various Artists were never seen again.

17. octophone

Makes sense.

M/A/R/R/S must be one of the greatest one-hit wonders ever.

18. Ag

Ag User

19. Eileen

Correct. Although there HAVE been some albums that charted after this that were kinda Various Artist albums.

20. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

How many number one albums has Various Artists had?

Is it just the one number one single?

21. Ag

Ag User

Soundtracks and cast recordings were always on dodgy ground. I always found it odd that Evita was on the compilation charts.

22. Ag

Ag User

23. Eileen

I didn't realise there has been so many this decade due to the aforementioned featuring thing. It doesn't quite seem RIGHT.

I have just found this fabulous Doop track from 2011:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aLG8DJUDBRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24. Ag

Ag User

I counted 27 albums, but the Now's for example didn't appear on that search.

25. Eileen

26. Ag

Ag User

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  27. Eileen

I make it 45:

14/02/1970 British motown chartbusters 3
    31/10/1970 Motown chartbusters 4
    17/04/1971 Motown chartbusters 5
    07/08/1971 Hot hits 6
    21/08/1971 Top of the pops 18
    27/11/1971 Top of the pops 20
    29/01/1972 Concert for Bangladesh
    17/06/1972 20 dynamic hits
    12/08/1972 20 fantastic hits
    07/10/1972 20 all time hits of the 50s
    02/12/1972 25 rockin and rollin greats
    31/03/1973 20 flashback greats of the 60s
    09/06/1973 Pure gold
    30/06/1973 Thatll be the day
    30/10/1976 Soul motion
    10/12/1977 Disco fever
    26/01/1979 Dont walk boogie
    10/02/1979 Action replay
    28/07/1979 Best disco album in the world
    16/02/1980 Last dance
    04/07/1981 Disco daze and disco nites
    15/08/1981 Official BBC Album of the Royal wedding (Charles/Diana)
    12/12/1981 Chart hits 81
    15/01/1983 Raiders of the pop charts
    17/12/1983 Now thats what I call music
    14/04/1984 Now thats what I call music 2
    11/08/1984 Now thats what I call music 3
    01/12/1984 Hits album
    13/04/1985 Hits 2
    17/08/1985 Now thats what I call music 5
    30/11/1985 Greatest hits of 1985
    07/12/1985 Now thats what I call music 6
    21/12/1985 Now the Christmas album
    29/03/1986 Hits 4
    23/08/1986 Now thats what I call music 7
    22/11/1986 Hits 5
    06/12/1986 Now thats what I call music 8
    04/04/1987 Now thats what I call music 9
    01/08/1987 Hits 6
    05/12/1987 Now thats what I call music 10
    02/04/1988 Now thats what I call music 11
    04/06/1988 Nite flite
    23/07/1988 Now thats what I call music 12
    24/09/1988 Hot city nights
    03/12/1988 Now thats what I call music 13

28. lolly

In some ways it's a shame that the Communards are only really remembered for their hen party fave covers. Outside of those they tackled socio political issues more than most of their contemporaries, and some of their melodies are gorgeous. Shame I struggle with Somerville's voice for more than about 3 tracks in a row.

29. octophone

"For A Friend" was outstanding.

30. Eileen

I prefer Bronski Beat.

31. Breathe

Breathe User

I couldn't agree more. It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.

32. lolly

I think 'Tomorrow' is probably my favourite.

33. Eileen

360. WET WET WET - Popped In Souled Out

16/01/1988

Track Listing:

1. Wishing I Was Lucky
    2. East Of The River
    3. I Remember
    4. Angel Eyes (Home And Away)
    5. Sweet Little Mystery
    6. I Don't Believe
    7. Temptation
    8. I Can Give You Everything
    9. The Moment You Left Me
    10. Words of Wisdom
    11. Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
    12. World In Another
    13. Wishing I Was Lucky (Live)

[​IMG]

This is the first of four (FOUR!) #1 albums for Wet Wet Wet and the first new #1 album of 1988. They were also incredibly consistent with having hit albums. 8 out of the first 9 went top 3.

It begins sadly with a second play on the marathon for the subjunctive-eschewing Wishing I Was Lucky. I described it before as “surprisingly bearable” and this is still the case. However, I didn't pick up last time that this is the first ever Wet Wet Wet hit, reaching #6 in 1987. The next two songs are very much of the brash pop of their early hits such as Sweet Little Mystery, which is on this album. Angel Eyes breaks up that style somewhat with it being a ballad. Both Angel Eyes and Sweet Little Mystery were singles and both peaked at 5.

There's a couple of tracks on here where Marti Pellow sounds like Boy George. I Don't Believe is one of them. This album certainly ain't great but I am finding it more palatable than their 90s output, which I found exceptionally bland.

Temptation is the fourth and final single from the album. It's another sweet downtempo track that sounds very “end of the disco”. A lot of this album harks back to the Hue and Cry stuff we've had earlier in the countdown. All sax lines and jazz-lite.

34. octophone

I get what they were doing with that album cover but look at the poor fucker on the right...

35. VoR

I'm neither here nor there with Wet Wet Wet in general, they were pretty much just background noise when I was a child. But that album cover is hateful.

36. octophone

They did/do have a certain ubiquity in Glasgow which made them much more irritating for those of us with the misfortune to be local to them.

37. VoR

My mum definitely owned at least one of their albums. I file them alongside M People and Simply Red as 90s staples who don't particularly endure today.

38. VoR

...although obviously they never did anything as fabulous as RENNAISANCE.

HAVE MERCY MERCY
    MERCY ON MEEEEEEEE

39. Ag

Ag User

The most hateful bit of that album cover is the font.

40. Eileen

361. JOHNNY HATES JAZZ - Turn Back The Clock

23/01/1988

Track Listing:

1. Shattered Dreams
    2. Heart Of Gold
    3. Turn Back The Clock
    4. Don't Say It's Love
    5. What Other Reason
    6. I Don't Want To Be A Hero
    7. Listen
    8. Different Seasons
    9. Don't Let It End This Way
    10. Foolish Heart

[​IMG]

This is the only number 1 and only hit album for “sophisti-pop” band Johnny Hates Jazz. This makes them only the third act on the marathon to be one-hit-wonders in the Guinness sense after Freddie Cannon and Blind Faith. This will surely be one of the last yuppie pop acts on this marathon but we'll see – maybe we'll have to wait for the 90s recession.

I'm having horrible realisations. We've had Shattered Dreams on the countdown before and I said that I owned a cheesy cover on CD single by Sergey Lazarev that I bought in the 00s. However, I reported that prior to Eurovision and had no idea he was the person who gave us the behemoth that was this year's Russian entrant. The track is their only top 10 hit, reaching #5. In fact this album contains 5 hit singles, 4 of which went top 10. One of these is Heart of Gold, which embarrassingly I think is quite good.

The title track is a slowy and isn't the best, to be honest. Don't Say It's Love echoes the upbeat pop of Shattered Dreams, nearly enough to suggest the song is rather too similar. What Other Reason drops the pace down again and I would royally suggest skipping it. I Don't Want to Be a Hero sounds almost like a boyband track. The #11 hit is incredibly familiar and so, to their credit, it must have stuck from being on Now 10 earlier in the marathon. The pace then slowly drops through Listen and Different Seasons, which totally wash over me. The band are seemingly better when they're doing uptempo (ow).

Don't Let It End This Way has reggae influences and the vocal styling is similar to Sting. However, it is apparently not a Police cover. The album closes with the relatively dramatic Foolish Heart with its crashing piano lines on the bridge.