Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Eileen, May 18, 2011.

1. octophone

octophone ADMIN, bitches!!

The fact he was so anachronistic was part of his appeal around that time. And he was initially more successful as a solo artist than a smith - his first 4 singles all peaked higher than any Smiths single.

2. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

363. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Now That's What I Call Music 11

Weeks at No. 1: 3

02/04/1988

Track Listing:

1 . PET SHOP BOYS - Always On My Mind
    2 . BELINDA CARLISLE - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
    3 . BILLY OCEAN - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
    4 . JERMAINE STEWART - Say It Again
    5 . EDDY GRANT - Gimme Hope Jo'Anna
    6 . EDDIE COCHRAN - C'Mon Everybody
    7 . MORRISSEY - Suedehead
    8 . ELTON JOHN - Candle In The Wind
    9 . WET WET WET - Angel Eyes (Home And Away)
    10 . JOHNNY HATES JAZZ - Turn Back The Clock
    11 . T'PAU - Valentine
    12 . BILLY IDOL - Hot In The City
    13 . SINEAD O'CONNOR - Mandinka
    14 . THE MISSION - Tower Of Strength
    15 . WHITESNAKE - Give Me All Your Love

Side 2:

1 . KYLIE MINOGUE - I Should Be So Lucky
    2 . MEL & KIM - That's The Way It Is
    3 . JOYCE SIMS - Come Into My Life
    4 . JELLYBEAN feat. ELISA FIORILLO - Who Found Who
    5 . BANANARAMA - I Can't Help It
    6 . DOLLAR - Oh L'Amour
    7 . VANESSA PARADIS - Joe Le Taxi
    8 . MORRIS MINOR & THE MAJORS - Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)
    9 . BOMB THE BASS - Beat Dis
    10 . COLDCUT feat. YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION - Doctorin' The House
    11 . KRUSH - House Arrest
    12 . JACK 'N' CHILL - The Jack That House Built
    13 . BEATMASTERS feat. THE COOKIE CREW - Rok Da House
    14 . TWO MEN A DRUM MACHINE AND A TRUMPET - I'm Tired Of Getting Pushed Around
    15 . CLIMIE FISHER - Rise To The Occasion

[​IMG]

Always On My Mind came on in the baguette place I was queueing for lunch the other day in trendy old East London and all the queers started bopping to it. Heart-warming. I still find this bizarre that it was both an Elvis cover and a Christmas #1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth sounds great here: a great piece of 80s cheesy nonsense. We then get some not-so-great cheese from Mr. Ocean. At least it's not as overplayed as that shite Boyzone covered. The Jermaine Stewart is one I don't recognise and, as I'm typing, I've found that I've already forgotten it. I am almost certain we sang Gimme Hope Jo'Anna in school assembly. However, I've googled the title and “Come and Praise” and it returns no hits...

Wondering why we have a 1959 track from Eddie Cochran on here? Used on a Levi's ad. I also feel it's too soon to be listening to Suedehead again. This live version of Candle in the Wind is a bit more synth-y that I remember it. This is followed by second plays for Angel Eyes, Turn Back the Clock and Valentine. After that boring set of tracks, the ridiculousness of Hot in the City is most welcome. I'm not that familiar with Mandinka but the operatic yodelling on the chorus makes it quite distinctive. Tower of Strength is an odd one. I was expecting a wall of heavy rock but it's got loads of Indian overtones to it. We then get some actual heavy rock from Whitesnake. Despite the genre, it's actually got quite the melody.

Disc 2 begins with behemoth-to-be Kylie Minogue. This is the first time she's appeared on the countdown and it certainly won't be the last. The Mel and Kim track isn't one I'm familiar with but I'm bopping along to it and this is shaping up to be one of the better Nows. The slinky Come Into My Life, much sampled by many a house hit, is welcome here. The Jellybean track ain't bad but he's had better. The Hi-NRG continues, however, with some more SAW from Bananarama and then an Erasure-cover from Dollar. Originally released in 1986, the Erasure version wasn't a hit until a re-recorded version made the chart in 2003. I've not heard the Dollar version for years and the vocal is terrible.

What is everyone's opinion of Joe Le Taxi? It's obviously a bit ridiculous and it has a bad chorus but I think the verses are kinda slinky. Stutter Rap is the first track on this album that I think is utterly awful. If you don't know it, it's a Beastie Boys parody.

Now we get to the last few tracks on the album and it's clear that house music is here and it's here to stay. Baby-faced Tim Simenon was only 20 when he had a #2 hit in the UK with Beat This under the moniker Bomb the Bass. Sample-heavy, the bassline is similar to M/A/R/R/S' Pump Up the Volume. Coldcut are the people behind Doctorin' In the House and this early hit doesn't really give clues as to the music they were to give us later in their career once they had launched Ninja Tune. Once again this track is full of samples, however, features original vocals from Yazz. House Arrest isn't a track I listen back to regularly but it's good to see semi-instrumental dance music representing. The track reached #3. Reaching #6, Jack 'N' Chill gives us another instrumental house track hit; I wonder what the radio programmers and the people who put this compilation together made of all this? Far more famous than the two previous tracks, Rok Da House is still regularly included on retrospective compilations.

I am not that familiar with this Two Men, A Drum Machine and a Trumpet thing but it appears to be a Fine Young Cannibals side-project. It's a funky bass-leaden house track akin to the previous tracks we've just had, but the fact it's FYC-connected is putting me off it. The album then bizarrely rounds off with a ballad from Climie Fisher.

3. Eileen

^_^

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I love this tacit acknowledgement that he will have had three more by the time the countdown is finished :disco:

Penelope likes this.
  5. Eileen

At the rate I'm currently going, I'll never finish. There are currently more #1s per year than I'm listening to the albums. I've been on a bit of a roll tonight, however!

6. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

'House Arrest' is just a TOP CHOON
    I love 'Joe Le Taxi' more than almost ANYTHING
    Didn't dreary Cliimie Fisher blandard 'Rise To The Occasion' get some kind of vaguely now HIP HOUSE makeover in a desperate attempt to finally get them a HIT? ALAS IT WORKED and we were saddled with GODAWFUL PAP like 'Love Changes' :gross:

7. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Joe Le Taxi is good, but Be My Baby and Divine Idylle are better.

8. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

You have, so keep at it!

Great stuff today!

9. Eileen

364. IRON MAIDEN - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Weeks at No. 1: 1

23/04/1988

Track Listing:

1. Moonchild
    2. Infinite Dreams
    3. Can I Play With Madness
    4. The Evil That Men Do
    5. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    6. The Prophecy
    7. The Clairvoyant
    8. Only The Good Die Young

[​IMG]

This is the second of five #1 albums for Iron Maiden. Given that two of them are from this decade, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd racked up another by the time we get to their third #1 album in 1992.

Moonchild starts like an Elizabethan minstrel song before newsreel-sounding synths kick in and the expected crunch of guitars. By a minute and a half in, it's typical Iron Maiden; I can see the goblins and orcs coming out of the ground. Despite the low number of tracks, they're all quite long. We're in for an epic ride...

Infinte Dreams is a bit more palatable and continues the minstrel / pagan vibe, I'm expecting the rest of the album to be the same. A live version of it was a single and became the fourth top 10 hit from this album. Can I Play With Madness is the first single and I remember being overplayed to death on Cable Jukebox when we first got it. The chorus actually isn't bad and it's better than how I remember it as a kid. In fact, despite its genre, the album is pretty melodious, as the chorus to second single The Evil That Men Do can atest.

The title track is 10 minutes long and I'm running out of things to say so I might just pretend I'm the singer in front of the mirror for a bit instead. The Clairvoyant was the third single from the album and peaked at #6.

10. octophone

You are spot on. It was given an almost hilariously clunky "white label" remix that was so bad you wondered if Chris Morris was behind it. At least one of them had the decency to pop his clogs.

11. octophone

That's pretty much the last Iron Maiden album I'll entertain. I continue to insist that they are the most influential British band of all time. They are certainly the most copied.

Fuck, that sleeve is DISTURBING.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  12. Eileen

I've only just realised he's holding a foetus. I quite like it.

13. Eileen

365. ERASURE - The Innocents

Weeks at No. 1: 2 (in 2 spells)

30/04/1988

Track Listing:

1. A Little Respect
    2. Ship Of Fools
    3. Phantom Bride
    4. Chains Of Love
    5. Hallowed Ground
    6. Sixty-Five Thousand
    7. Heart Of Stone
    8. Yahoo!
    9. Imagination
    10. Witch In the Ditch
    11. Weight Of The World
    12. When I Needed You
    13. River Deep, Mountain High

[​IMG]

I think this is the first album on the marathon I own physically, if you exclude the ones I HAD to buy because I couldn't find them digitally. However, I do own most of the Yazoo #1 album already on a Greatest Hits. Having said that, I didn't buy it at the time and so the first album on the marathon I own AND bought at the time is yet to come. This is the first album of five in a row to get to #1 for one of my favourite acts of all time: Erasure. 5 in a row is one of the best runs in history. I'm not sure what the record is. Perhaps I should work it out...

No-one's in the house at the moment so let's blast this shit out :disco: A Little Respect hasn't suffered from overplay for me. Still stounds great and fuck the Wheatus version. However, Ship of Fools is one of my favourite songs of all time. It's eerie melody enabling it to reach #6 in March 1988. Phantom Bride isn't one I've listened to much but it sounds great here. I have a remix CD single of it that's definitely not worth a listen. Chains of Love, the second of the three singles on the album, isn't as iconic as some of their other material but still enjoyable.

Now the rest of the album, despite owning it, I've not heard for some time so I'm looking forward to revisiting it. Hallowed Ground uses the same synth sounds and chord-rhythms as A Little Respect and sounds pretty good. Sixty-Five Thousand has elements of late 80s house tracks. It's instrumental (excluding the odd bit of chanting that reminds me of Pennsylvania 6-5000 – surely intentionally) and reminds me a bit of Yello. Heart of Stone gets back to the pop-sound and sounds amazing. Yahoo! has a gospel influences, whilst retaining their signature synth sound.

This album really is a JOY to re-visit. Imagination is as good as many of the late 80s singles. The verses are great. Witch in the Ditch isn't one of the most interesting things on the album but it picks up again for Weight of the World with has a decent melody across the verses, bridge and chorus. When I Needed You sounds better than I remember it. I've always thought of it as something slung on at the end of the album but the bassline and percussion are sounding very crisp. Let's not dwell too much on the boring cover that closes the album.

Best run of UK #1 albums in history? ABBA with 8.

14. lolly

I loved The Innocents. In retrospect I probably prefer Wild! and Chorus, but at the time I hammered that one to death. Wasn't the second spell at #1 a full year after the first?

And I'm surprised by that Abba stat. I was aware they had that many, but thought that others had more.

15. Eileen

Yeah, the two weeks at number 1 were nearly a year apart. ABBA are helped by other artists having live albums and compilations getting in the way of a clear run of #1s.

16. lolly

Yes, I guessed the live albums harmed other acts. But doesn't the Abba total include three compilations?

17. Eileen

Yes. What's the issue?

18. Indie

Indie Go away, Wesley

I should like iron maiden, but I really don't. Can I play with madness is probably in my iron maiden top 3 though.

19. lolly

No issue, other than having compilations didn't hamper their run in the way that it did other acts.

20. Eileen

What are the other 2?

21. Eileen

I see. If you exclude greatest hits, live albums and the like, then the record is probs held by the Beatles but I cba to work it out.

22. lolly

I suppose being a supposed 'singles act', compilations were less likely to be a problem for an act like Abba.

23. Eileen

366. PRINCE - Lovesexy

Weeks at No. 1: 1

21/05/1988

Track Listing:

1. Eye No
    2. Alphabet Street
    3. Glam Slam
    4. Anna Stesia
    5. Dance On
    6. Lovesexy
    7. When 2 R In Love
    8. I Wish U Heaven
    9. Positivity

[​IMG]

Well this is quite exciting. We've already had three Prince songs on the countdown so far but this is the first album of 5 to reach #1 in the UK. Given his death earlier this year, it is fitting we are getting to this now.

Eye No is a disco funk track akin to Uptown Funk, although perhaps not as nauseating as the newer record is. We then get the first single and only top 10 hit from the album: Alphabet Street. It's trademark “no!” at the beginning punctuating the track throughout. Glam Slam was the second single from the album. It reached top 30, but I don't recall it at all. It's more 80s rock than the funk of the opener and doesn't feel close to worthy of being a single. Anna Stesia has a piano intro that almost sounds like it's been taken from a house record. Worth a sample, I feel. The track then goes down a stripped-down rock / funk route.

Dance On kicks off side 2 with some crazy drumming and synth bass. The vibe continues on the title track and, whilst it's OK, I'm not really rating this album so far up there with Prince's best work. The album blends seamlessly into the ballad When 2 R In Love. However, the highlight of the album for me is third single I Wish U Heaven. I am not sure I realised it was this early in his career. It's got a cute melody that adds extra layers on the backing to the verses as the track goes on. The album closes with 7 minute-long Positivity.

24. Indie

Indie Go away, Wesley

Probably Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and Run To the Hills

25. Breathe

Breathe User

'Lovesexy' isn't his best album by a long shot, but it's definitely a grower. You need to give it more than one listen.

26. lolly

Please don't tell him to listen to albums more than once. He's got a whole heap of Simply Red mp3s to get through.

27. VoR

That album cover really is quite something.

28. Eileen

:D

29. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

'Lovesexy' the track is just the MAX

NEW POWER NEW POWER
    GIVE IT 2 ME
    OH IT NEED SOME BOTTOM IN HERE
    LAY IT ON ME
    *earth shaking bassline*

:horny:

30. octophone

Lovesexy is the one where he programmed the CD as one track, isn't it?

Imagine the full scale millenial moanfest that would generate now...

31. Eileen

That is correct. Although apparently he reissued it later with the tracks separated

32. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

"Lovesexy" is GREAT but it always seems a tad UNFINISHED- I think maybe because of the way it was rushed out instead of "The Black Album". I quite LIKE that though...

33. Eileen

367. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Nite Flite

Weeks at No. 1: 4

04/06/1988

Track Listing:

1 . GEORGE BENSON - Shiver
    2 . GREGORY ABBOTT - Shake You Down
    3 . ATLANTIC STARR - Always
    4 . ANITA BAKER - Sweet Love
    5 . ALEXANDER O'NEAL - If You Were Here Tonight
    6 . RANDY CRAWFORD - Almaz
    7 . MINNIE RIPERTON - Lovin' You
    8 . LUTHER VANDROSS - Give Me The Reason
    9 . ALEXANDER O'NEAL - Criticize
    10 . S.O.S. BAND - Weekend Girl
    11 . LUTHER VANDROSS - So Amazing
    12 . CHAMPAIGN - How 'Bout Us
    13 . MICHAEL JACKSON - Rock With You
    14 . REGINA BELLE - Show Me The Way
    15 . ATLANTIC STARR - Secret Lovers
    16 . THE JACKSONS - One More Chance

[​IMG]

It's been 10 months since we've had a UK #1 that's not a non-Now compilation album.

It begins with a man who I still can't believe had a #1 album. It's very 80s indeed and reminds me of the late-night-drive type stuff we'd sometimes hear in the car, which probably explains the album's title. A mid-tempo track, it is actually one of the more upbeat on the album, as the pace drops dramatically for the top 10 hit by one-hit-wonder Gregory Abbott and the #3 hit from Atlantic Starr. For the latter, it was their last major hit in the UK. I'm more familiar with the M-Beat featuring Nazlyn cover of Anita Baker's track, but this version is still welcome here. If You Were Here Tonight is earlier and a lot slower than Alexander's big hit, but that's to come later. It's one of the better tracks we've had so far.

Most of the tracks on here were massive hits and it's really quite appalling how few of them I remember. Randy Crawford injects a bit of class on Almaz: a percussion-less #4 hit from two years prior. The album isn't totally contemporary and has quite a few much older hits on it. One of these is the one hit from Minnie Riperton, which reached #2 in 1975. Luther Vandross is the second-biggest act on this album and this is very much one of his lesser works. It was released three times and could only limp to 60, 71 and 26.

Weekend Girl is the poorest performing hit we've had so far, reaching just #51. It's a wonder why they included it. It has rather daft spoken-word interludes in it and, quite frankly, is one for the bin. The Champaign track was their only hit, getting to #5 7 years prior to this album. Like quite a few of the tracks on here, it's a very slow ballad and it feels like the compilers were filling up side 2 with any old thing. Rock With You is one of about three very famous tracks on the album and, whilst it's welcome that we have something of higher quality on side 2, I have been enjoying listening to to stuff with which I'm unfamiliar. Speaking of unfamiliar, Show Me The Way only managed to reach #97 in the UK. A rather dull ballad, she's more famous for her cover of A Whole New World from the Aladdin soundtrack, which came in late 1993. The album ends with One More Chance by the Jacksons. An album track, it is confusingly also the name of a Michael Jackson solo single.

34. Eileen

368. TRACY CHAPMAN - Tracy Chapman

Weeks at No. 1: 3

02/07/1988

Track Listing:

1. Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution
    2. Fast Car
    3. Across The Lines
    4. Behind The Wall
    5. Baby Can I Hold You
    6. Mountain O' Things
    7. She's Got Her Ticket
    8. Why
    9. For My Lover
    10. If Not Now...
    11. For You

[​IMG]

This is the first of two UK #1 albums for Tracy Chapman. Astonishing really as she's essentially a one hit wonder. Fast Car reached #4 (in 2011, it reached #5 originally) and she hasn't had another top 40 hit. Recently, it has been a tropical house hit for Mugatu's favourite Jonas Blue.

Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution, a flop single, is certainly worth a listen, and I think I've heard it before. It certainly sounds familiar and I've been reading that it has been used as recently as 2016 for the Bernie Sanders campaign. Across the Lines is the first album track and has synths in it that give away this is an 80s album. Before this, the album sounded like it could have been from any time from the 1960s onwards. Behind the Wall is an a cappella track that I recognise from being sampled on mid 90s drum and bass record Smokin' A Blunt by Chuck E.

I had no idea that Baby Can I Hold You is a Chapman original. It's been tainted massively for me by that atrocious Boyzone cover. However, 5 tracks in and it's clear that Chapman really knows how to write a melody. The album diversifies as it goes on, moving briefly away from the singer-songwriter sound we'd expect to the reggae of She's Got He Ticket. From later in the album, For My Lover is worth a listen for its chorus.

35. octophone

She was an odd one, Tracy Chapman. I was on holiday when she "happened". We were coming home from France (by car) with the radio on and every DJ was playing Fast Car.

36. VoR

Baby Can I Hold You and to a lesser extent Revolution must be among the best-known non UK top 40 singles of the past 30 years. I'm amazed you'd never heard the former outside the Boyzone version before.

Of course Chapman also had another big US hit years later with Give Me One Reason, which did nothing here but should have.

37. Eileen

I knew it was a cover, and I THINK I have heard another version of it, but I couldn't say who that other version was by before today.

38. Eileen

I've just had a flashback to someone at university who used this phrase about people she didn't like. She's a published poet now.

39. Eileen

369. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Now That's What I Call Music 12

Weeks at No. 1: 5

23/07/1988

Track Listing:

Disc 1:

1 . WET WET WET - With A Little Help From My Friends
    2 . BELINDA CARLISLE - Circle In The Sand
    3 . MAXI PRIEST - Wild World
    4 . ASWAD - Give A Little Love
    5 . CLIMIE FISHER - Love Changes (Everything)
    6 . ELTON JOHN - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
    7 . SCRITTI POLITTI - Oh Patti (Don't Feel Sorry For Loverboy)
    8 . PHIL COLLINS - In The Air Tonight ('88 Remix)
    9 . HOTHOUSE FLOWERS - Don't Go
    10 . MORRISSEY - Everyday Is Like Sunday
    11 . DANNY WILSON - Mary's Prayer
    12 . JOHNNY HATES JAZZ - Heart Of Gold
    13 . VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE - Don't Call Me Baby
    14 . IRON MAIDEN - Can I Play With Madness
    15 . HEART - These Dreams
    16 . T'PAU - I Will Be With You

Disc 2:

1 . THE TIMELORDS - Doctorin' The Tardis
    2 . SABRINA - Boys (Summertime Love)
    3 . BANANARAMA - I Want You Back
    4 . TIFFANY - I Think We're Alone Now
    5 . HAZELL DEAN - Who's Leaving Who
    6 . THE COMMUNARDS - There's More To Love
    7 . JERMAINE STEWART - Get Lucky
    8 . GLENN MEDEIROS - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You
    9 . S'EXPRESS - Theme From S'Express
    10 . SALT-N-PEPA - Push It
    11 . DEREK B . - Bad Young Brother
    12 . JAMES BROWN - The Payback Mix (Part One)
    13 . ROSE ROYCE - Car Wash
    14 . NATALIE COLE - Pink Cadillac
    15 . JELLYBEAN feat. ADELE BERTEI - Just A Mirage
    16 . WILL DOWNING - A Love Supreme (Radio Mix)

[​IMG]

The penultimate Now album we'll have on this marathon begins with the horrible #1 from Wet Wet Wet. I'm not that familiar with Circle in the Sand but it has a great minor key melody. The reggae cover of Cat Stevens' Wild World is worth a listen and is making me think that disc 1 might not be as shit as it looked on first sight. After a rather forgettable Aswad track comes a track Climie Fisher originally wrote for Rod Stewart, who ended up turning it down. I can imagine Rod singing it, but I didn't recognise the track until it got to the chorus. One of the worst Elton John songs I've ever heard leads into an overly schmaltzy track by Scritti Politti. The Hothouse Flowers track has verses that have a similar rhythm to Sheryl Crow's All I Wanna Do; the chorus sounds like old school Americana. A welcome second play for Everyday is Like Sunday leads into one-hit-wonder Danny Wilson. Mary's Prayer really isn't worth a listen and is in fact so bad that it makes the following Johnny Hates Jazz track sound welcome. I couldn't place Don't Call Me Baby from the title but, as soon as it kicks in, it's instantly recognisable and is one of the better tracks on disc 1. Shamefully, I love Heart's Alone but am not familiar with These Dreams. It was a US #1 and UK #8 and tbh is a bit crap beyond the perfunctory chorus. The disc finishes with a second play on the marathon for a rubbish T'Pau song.

Now disc 2 is more like it! Possibly the only Gary Glitter-affiliated track that still gets airplay (maybe?), Doctorin' The Tardis is a TRIUMPH and paved the way for the marvellous KLF to have more hits. Equally as welcome is hi-NRG track Boys by Sabrina. Moopy faves Bananarama continue the theme but I Want You Back was never one of my favourites. I particularly dislike the Tiffany single too. A fave of the late That One (RIP), Hazel Dean gives us Who's Leaving Who, however, my favourite is Whatever I Do, Wherever I Go. I'm not familiar with this Communards single. It's passable and not a patch on the #1. After a forgettable Jermaine Stewart track, we have a UK #1 double-header. Glenn Medeiros had the looks but the song is as naff as they come. Theme From S'Express, however, is a house behemoth. The punchy stabs and funky backing make this a deserved #1. Push It is always welcome and contains one of the most recognisable riffs from 80s rap. The Derek B track contains beats that I recognise as being sampled on the 1998 track More Beats and Pieces by Coldcut. Coincidentally, Coldcut are the producers on the subsequent track by James Brown. It's a megamix of many of his previous hits. Car Wash is one of the most famous things on this album but I've never been a fan. Pink Cadillac is a Bruce Springsteen cover and gave the recently late Natalie Cole a top 10 hit. A Jellybean production is usually welcome on the marathon. This is his third under his own name and is a hi-NRG track akin to the earlier Hazel Dean track. It's certainly worth a listen. The album closes with a #14 hit for Will Downing. It's a r'n'b track with a slightly harder beat and bass line.

40. Eileen

370. KYLIE MINOGUE - Kylie

Weeks at No. 1: 6 (in 2 spells)

27/08/1988

Track Listing:

1. I Should Be So Lucky
    2. The Loco-Motion
    3. Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
    4. It's No Secret
    5. Got To Be Certain
    6. Turn It Into Love
    7. I Miss You
    8. I'll Still Be Loving You
    9. Look My Way
    10. Love At First Sight

[​IMG]

A cornerstone of Moopy tastes, this is the first of 5 #1 albums for the perennial pop princess Kylie Minogue.

The way SAW produced was very clever indeed. I Should Be So Lucky, which has its second play on the countdown, kicks in with an instrumental version of the chorus. It tells you exactly what's to come within the first few seconds of the track without quite giving it all away. The album contains four singles, the aforementioned #1 and three singles that peaked at #2. The third single from the album, the Carole King-penned The Loco-Motion, is instantly familiar and spent four weeks at #2. It was kept off #1 by Yazz. This leads into fourth single Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi, whose three weeks at #2 were due to Enya at the summit. I remember it very well from the time with its retro video.

Not being much of a Kylie fan, I've not heard the album tracks here. It's No Secret, is a cute mid-tempo bubblegum track but perhaps not instant enough to be a single, even though it was originally intended to be. Got to Be Certain is the second and last remaining single on the album. Just like the #1, it sticks to the formula of beginning with an instrumental version of the chorus. This one was kept off #1 by Wet Wet Wet and is probably my favourite of the early Kylie era. Turn It To Love, whose verses are reminiscent of something else that I can't quite put my finger on, is definitely worth a listen. I've never heard it before but the minor key melody works well with the hi-NRG production and makes it possibly the best thing I've heard on this album so far. Any ideas on what it sounds like? I've played it to mother and she couldn't think of the track either. It feels like it should be something from the 1960s or 1970s but it also kinda sounds like Erasure's Love to Hate You.

I'm expecting the quality to drop for the remainder of the album and I Miss You is instantly forgettable. I'll Still Be Loving You is another track that sounds like something else; this time it's the chorus. Any ideas? Maybe I've just heard it out. Look My Way gives us something marginally different with its slap bass. It sounds a bit more Five Star on the chorus than the out-and-out bubblegum we've had so far.

Love at First Sight is a good upbeat closer and perhaps shows that the drop in quality I was expecting didn't happen. In fact, hearing it here it could easily have been a single.