Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Eileen, May 18, 2011.

1. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

'Turn It Into Love' by Hazell Dean :D

2. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I read that she did a cover but I'm not sure it's that I remember. It feels like it's something from the Mary Hopkin era.

3. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi was the first Kylie single I liked.

4. Ag

Ag User

At last! We're now into my musical memory!

5. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I should be so lucky.

6. Eileen

371. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Hot City Nights

Weeks at No. 1: 1

24/09/1988

Track Listing:

1. QUEEN - I Want To Break Free
    2. HEART - Alone
    3. INXS - New Sensation
    4. KISS - Crazy Crazy Nights
    5. BRYAN ADAMS - Summer Of '69
    6. ROBERT PLANT - Big Log
    7. FOREIGNER - I Want To Know What Love Is
    8. ERIC CLAPTON - Wonderful Tonight
    9. BON JOVI - Livin' On A Prayer
    10. BILLY IDOL - Hot In The City (1988 Remix)
    11. MAGNUM - Start Talking Love
    12. WHITESNAKE - Here I Go Again (U.S. Remix)
    13. MARILLION - Lavender
    14. PAT BENATAR - We Belong
    15. BIG COUNTRY - Look Away
    16. RUSH - Spirit Of Radio

[​IMG]

This is the penultimate compilation album to get to #1 before they were all farmed off into their own chart. If Kylie can't get the chat in, I can't see how this album will but here goes #dead

Concentrating on brash rock and hair bands, it begins with a song that gave us one of Queen's best videos before going into the amazing Alone. I'm not familiar with the INXS track but it has the same jangly guitar that they used for I Need You Tonight, made famous again more recently by Professor Green. By the time we get to Crazy Crazy Nights, you know exactly what to expect. Bryan Adams then gives us one of the most famous top 75 hits not to go top 40. Robert Plant showcases his Big Log, which takes the pace down a lot. The theme continues with a FOURTH play on the marathon for I Want to Know What Love Is and a first for one of the most famous Eric Clapton tracks, which rounds off side 1.

Side 2 goes back to brash with a second play for Livin' On a Prayer and the embarrassingly enjoyable Hot in the City. I'm not familiar with the Magnum track. The guitars crunch with subtle 80s synth in the background as the earnest vocals are reminiscent of the earlier Foreigner track. One of the most hair of hair bands gives us perhaps their most famous hit. I'm not familiar with the track's verses and didn't realise they were so 80s ballad. Unlike the first side, this drop in pace towards the end of the side isn't indicative of what's to come. I'm not familiar with Pat Benatar's work at all. This track reminds me of Kate Bush in places. It's very pop and is worth a listen. Look Away failed to capture my interest until the chorus, which is actually quite good. The Rush track is terrible.

7. octophone

Heh heh, "Big Log".

[​IMG]

Indie likes this.
  8. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I like a bit of Pat Benatar, but I always found We Belong a bit DRIPPY. She's had better.

9. Shirley

It's not a BAD collection as that sort of shit goes, although I could QUITE HAPPILY NEVER hear 'Wonderful Tonight' again :zombie:

10. Shirley

Oh and the LESS SAID about MARILLION the BETTER

11. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I was re-watching the first season of Nighty Night on Friday. Lavender gets a pass from me just for that.

12. Eileen

QUITE

13. octophone

I defend Marillion to the extent that their success was a real anomaly and one achieved minus the usual required channels of TV and radio (TOTP not withstanding). They were out of step, out of time, out of touch...and yet galvanised a following who have remained steadfast. They were the first band to have a truly successful Kickstarter, before there was any such thing as Kickstarter and they also held a weekend Butlins event long before the now-faded vogue for such things. I respect Marillion without feeling the need to hear from them ever again.

Zu-Klara and Marilyn like this.
  14. Eileen

372. BON JOVI - New Jersey

Weeks at No. 1: 2

01/10/1988

Track Listing:

1. Lay Your Hands On Me
    2. Bad Medicine
    3. Born To Be My Baby
    4. Living In Sin
    5. Blood On Blood
    6. Homebound Train
    7. Wild Is The Wind
    8. Ride Cowboy Ride
    9. Stick To Your Guns
    10. I'll Be There For You
    11. 99 In The Shade
    12. Love For Sale

[​IMG]

Are you ready to ROCK? This is the first of five (in a row!) #1 albums for Bon Jovi. Furthermore to this, they had 7 #2 albums, 5 of these also in a row. I had no idea they were this big.

The opener starts with sparse drumming and chanting before breaking into the heavy rock. It was the fourth of five singles taken from the album and, like the other four, failed to go top 10. Bad Medicine was the first and biggest of the five, reaching #17 in 1988. It sounds more like Def Leppard than a Bon Jovi track. It has more of a stadium metal sound than the more melancholy melodies of their 90s stuff like Always. Thankfully this appears to be a blip as second single Born to Be My Baby has more of the rousing sound that made Livin' On a Prayer popular (whilst being not quite as anthemic).

Living In Sin is as boring as it. Was I expecting too much from this album? I was hoping for some Livin' On a Prayer-style anthems and so far we've only had one. The album then rumbles on a bit “mid set” before we get to Wild Is the Wind and finally we get a track worthy of a listen. Not a single, it makes me wonder why they chose the singles they did. We then get interlude Ride Cowboy Ride, which has been produced to sound like it's being played from vinyl via a transistor radio.

I'll Be There for You is a metal ballad and the only single from the last half of the album. Following from this is the more raucous, and quite frankly more interesting, 99 in the Shade. The album closes with the blues-y Love For Sale.

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I condole you.

16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I always quite liked a bit of Bon Jovi, in the Greatest Hits sense, but never investigated an album and not sure I want to either.

Even "Always" is a masterclass of the sort of ballad I usually hate.

17. Eileen

I was hoping for more tracks that sounded like the theme to Ulysses 31.

18. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

One of my first ever dates was a fan of Marillion. I remember being somewhat perplexed and frightened. Mind you, 'Lavender' is quite stirring and :disco: by Davis association, and Fish was always a big boy and on the bi side APPARENTLY :horny:

19. lolly

Big cock and bi maybe, but he was still FISH

20. Eileen

I had too google Fish to see if he was hot. He kinda had a nu romantic thing going in the 80s but I can't say I'm keen.

21. lolly

I did have a very slight thing for Jon Bon Jovi briefly. After the hair went, but before the new teeth.

22. lolly

A slightly stupid builder's mate.

Ag likes this.
  23. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Over a decade later it still bugs me that they changed the funeral song from Alone to I'll Stand By You for the dvd version.

Sheena likes this.
  24. Eileen

Some of those 80s hair bands had some very pretty boys in them. Axl Rose was facially gorgeous but I can't get past the hair.

25. Ag

Ag User

Oh yes. Time is cruel however.

26. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

The late eighties were atrocious in terms of fanciable pop stars. Obviously BROS ET AL were NOT REMOTELY MY THING :gross:

Thank God for BOB AS PER and I did have a lovely poster of Bruce Willis :horny:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  27. octophone

Fish was hung like a draught excluder, by many accounts. At 6ft 4 he probably needed to be so as not to appear cruelly out of proportion.

28. Eileen

373. CHRIS DE BURGH - Flying Colours

15/10/1988

Track Listing:

1. Sailing Away
    2. Carry Me (Like A Fire In Your Heart)
    3. Tender Hands
    4. Night On The River
    5. Leather On My Shoes
    6. Suddenly Love
    7. The Simple Truth (A Child Is Born)
    8. Missing You
    9. I'm Not Scared Anymore
    10. Don't Look Back
    11. Just A Word Away
    12. Risen Lord
    13. Last Time I Cried

[​IMG]

So it turns out Chris de Burgh still had a career after The Lady in Red. Who knew? This is his only #1 album and reached #1 6 days before his 40th birthday.

Sailing Away already harks back to the lounge-singer jazz sound of his most famous hit. The smooth synth sounds are quite pleasant on this Saturday morning. Carry Me has a slight Irish-lilt to it, harking back to his country of origin if not his country of birth (Argentina). The album lilts through some pleasant melodies such as the dreadfully titled Leather on My Shoes. Suddenly Love sounds like The Lady in Red part 2.

Missing You is the only single from this album to go top 40, peaking at a respectable #3. I'm not entirely sure why this track was the big hit compared to the other singles as there's little to tell them apart, especially as it's not even the first single from the album. I guess this got the airplay. After the rather dull I'm Not Scared Anymore, Don't Look Back picks up the pace for a bit of out and out pop. However, De Burgh's voice actually sounds like it's cracking on the chorus it's so high. Just A Word Away sounds a bit like the Beatles' Yesterday in places.

Side LOL: mother has just listened in and said it sounds like the CD called Tranquillity that they have in the sensory room at school for the heavily autistic kids.

The Risen Lord has an extended orchestral intro (albeit using synths) and sounds a bit like William Orbit's Pieces In a Modern Style album.

29. octophone

Oh, and fuck Bon Jovi. One of the worst bands in the history of the known universe. I'd slap that cunt 'til my hand fell off.

30. octophone

I don't even remember that Chris De Burgh album existing, is it an April Fool?

31. octophone

About 15 years ago, CDB did a competition through Woolworths where purchasers of his new album could win tickets to an "intimate" gig. The Glasgow one was held in Mono. Customers on Monorail and the bar were still about while he was soundchecking. Only he wasn't there. His piano was completely programmed and he just pretended to play onstage. Wanker.

32. Eileen

Alas not :D

33. Shirley

'Missing You' is quite GLORIOUSLY DREADFUL

34. Eileen

374. U2 - Rattle And Hum

22/10/1988

Track Listing:

1. Helter Skelter
    2. Van Diemen's Land
    3. Desire
    4. Hawkmoon 269
    5. All Along The Watchtower
    6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    7. Freedom For My People
    8. Silver And Gold
    9. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    10. Angel Of Harlem
    11. Love Rescue Me
    12. When Love Comes To Town
    13. Heartland
    14. God, Pt. 2
    15. Star Spangled Banner
    16. Bullet The Blue Sky
    17. All I Want Is You

[​IMG]

This is the 4th #1 album of 10 for U2. It's been a long time now since their last #1 (2009) but this is due to their 2014 album being an iTunes giveaway. This also serves as a film soundtrack to a documentary about the band of the same name, of which I have no desire to watch.

The album begins with a Beatles live cover. The original was on The White Album and has already featured on the countdown. I can't remember the original and there's little to recommend this version. Van Diemen's Land sounds like an old Irish traditional and leads into the band's first #1 Desire. Possibly one of the least remembered #1s of the 1980s, it spent only 8 weeks on the top 75. At the time, this was one of the lowest chart tallies for a #1 single. All Along the Watchtower is another live cover, this time of a Bob Dylan track. It's bassline makes it worth a listen.

After a gospel-tinged live version of older single I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, we get a 38 second interlude by blues duo Satan and Adam. Live versions of Silver and Gold and Pride (which I always confuse with the Aretha Franklin version) round off what is disc 1 on the vinyl version of the album. They're both peppered with shout outs to anti-racist activists and, to be honest, sound a bit insincere.

Angel of Harlem, the second single from the album and a top 10 hit, is a cute 60s-influenced pop track. When Love Comes To Town features the recently departed BB King and was the third single from the album... and yet another top 10 hit for the band. Heartland is the classic U2 sound and sounds like it could come from any of their albums. God Part II is based around the 12 bar blues chord progression and is one of the more palatable tracks on the album. The album closes with fourth single from the album, All I Want Is You. It gave the band a 100% strike rate of 10 top singles from this album.

35. octophone

All I Want Is You is annoyingly good. Even at their shittest, U2 usually cough up one more-than-decent single per album.

36. Ag

Ag User

I guess U2 peaked around this time. I once taped their 1997 GH, I borrowed from the library, have a single or two from my misguided youth and accept they weren't half bad before middle age set in. Other than all that what a bunch of cunts.

37. lolly

For me, they peaked with Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I remain very fond of both.

38. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The Bellefire version is really quite amazing.

39. Eileen

375. DIRE STRAITS - Money For Nothing

Weeks at No. 1: 3

29/10/1988

Track Listing:

1. Sultans Of Swing
    2. Down To The Waterline
    3. Portobello Belle (Live)
    4. Twisting By The Pool
    5. Tunnel Of Love
    6. Romeo And Juliet
    7. Where Do You Think You're Going
    8. Walk Of Life
    9. Private Investigations
    10. Telegraph Road
    11. Money For Nothing
    12. Brothers In Arms

[​IMG]

This is only the 2nd #1 album for Dire Straits out of a total of 4.

Can there be more of a moopy favourite than Dire Straits? Well... yes, quite frankly. However, this is a greatest hits and the lazy sounds of Sultans of Swing sound good on this scorching Sunday evening. I'm not familiar with Down to the Waterline, but the sound is pretty similar. It was an album track and b-side but never a single. Twisting By the Pool changes it up somewhat by being a jaunty 50s rock and roll sound. Tunnel of Love returns to the usual sound and it's made me realise how similar a lot of Dire Straits tracks sound.

After a couple more variations on a theme we get Dire Straits' two biggest hits in a row. Walk of Life was an early cable music TV favourite with its video being a compilation of sporting accidents. It was kept off #1 by A-Ha. Private Investigations was kept from the top by Survivor, which has become a recent download hit. It's a second play for it on this marathon. After a totally unwelcome 12 minute live track called Telegraph Road, we get a slightly warmer welcome for a second play on the marathon of Money for Nothing. The track features backing vocals by Sting, I'm not sure if I noticed this first time round.

40. OutSynk

OutSynk User

This is a very long thread.