Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Eileen, May 18, 2011.

1. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

That is well noticed. Feel free to comment upon any of it.

Breathe likes this.
  2. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I have the upcoming week off so perhaps I will.

3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think the version of Money For Nothing on the compilation omits the controversial 'faggot' lyric that was on 'Brothers In Arms', doesn't it?

4. Eileen

I have to admit that I didn't notice. The album calls it the "single edit" so perhaps.

5. Ag

Ag User

I share my birthday with Mark Knopfler. That is all.

6. OutSynk

OutSynk User

#1 albums since the beginning of TIME?

7. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Judging by the pace of this thread I will literally be able to comment on anything in 3-5 years. See you Eileen in another thread until then.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. Eileen

Since the UK album chart was started in 1956.

9. Eileen

It IS rather slow. But what do you expect with all this dad rock :( I'm dreading the 90s...

10. OutSynk

OutSynk User

At least you'll always have this thread to turn to when life seems bleak and meaningless.

11. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I'm almost thinking of starting a rival thread just to catch up and keep it moving

12. Eileen

Why not do the number 2s?

13. Ag

Ag User

List please.

14. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Most of Britney's albums among others.

15. Breathe

Breathe User

I did think about doing one featuring all of the #41 singles.

ie the songs that just missed the top 40 by a place.

16. Alex

Alex Go fish

Thanks for that clarification I couldn't understand the concept of the number 41

Eileen and Ag like this.
  17. Eileen

Forget Breathe being a That One alias (not true btw). I think he might be me.

18. Eileen

376. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Now That's What I Call Music 13

Weeks at No. 1: 4 (in 2 spells)

03/12/1988

Track Listing:

1 . YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION - The Only Way Is Up
    2 . WOMACK & WOMACK - Teardrops
    3 . ERASURE - A Little Respect
    4 . THE CHRISTIANS - Harvest For The World
    5 . HUE & CRY - Ordinary Angel
    6 . UB40 feat. CHRISSIE HYNDE - Breakfast in Bed
    7 . ROBERT PALMER - She Makes My Day
    8 . BREATHE - Hands to Heaven
    9 . PHIL COLLINS - A Groovy Kind of Love
    10 . BOBBY McFERRIN - Don't Worry, Be Happy
    11 . ART OF NOISE feat. TOM JONES - Kiss
    12 . BRYAN FERRY - Let's Stick Together
    13 . KIM WILDE - You Came
    14 . BOMB THE BASS - Don't Make Me Wait
    15 . BROTHER BEYOND - The Harder I Try
    16 . THE HOLLIES - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Disc 2:

1 . THE FAT BOYS with CHUBBY CHECKER - The Twist (Yo Twist)
    2 . WEE PAPA GIRL RAPPERS - Wee Rule
    3 . SALT-N-PEPA - Twist And Shout
    4 . YELLO - The Race
    5 . INNER CITY - Big Fun
    6 . D-MOB feat. GARY HAISMAN - We Call It Acieed
    7 . BEATMASTERS with P.P. ARNOLD - Burn It Up
    8 . MILLI VANILLI - Girl You Know It's True
    9 . LEVEL 42 - Heaven in My Hands
    10 . JANE WIEDLIN - Rush Hour
    11 . THE PROCLAIMERS - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
    12 . T'PAU - Secret Garden
    13 . TRANSVISION VAMP - I Want Your Love
    14 . DURAN DURAN - I Don't Want Your Love
    15 . THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Love Is All That's Matters
    16 . ALL ABOUT EVE - Martha's Harbour

[​IMG]

This is the final various artist compilation to make #1 in the UK before they're farmed off into their own chart in January 1989. There will be the odd various artist compilation that makes #1 on the marathon due to the way it's billed but more of that when the time comes. I feel that the removal of compilation albums from this marathon is a loss for it, as the compilations pick up the one-hit-wonders and certain genres that tend to not do well as artist albums. I'll miss the out and out pop hits. Then again, we're in my era now and hence they won't be new territory.

We kick off with Yazz. The squelchy backing sounds quite good this Saturday morning but I've never really liked this track. Teardrops is also a load of toot. The only consolation is that it's not the Lovestation version. Thankfully we are saved by the fabulous Erasure. A Little Respect is one of their biggest and most accessible hits. The cover of Harvest for the World is passable. The album then very much noodles through some MOR, the worst of which is Breathe. I had also forgotten how boring A Groovy Kind of Love is; I think I was confusing it with You Can't Hurry Love. It's another cover and Phil's last number 1. I can't remember the last time I heard the Art of Noise / Tom Jones version of Kiss. It was a song that I didn't know was a Prince track until a few years after I heard it. Listening to it now, it sounds far more industrial-Art-of-Noise-y than I remember and even has a nod to their previous track Close to the Edit with the “la la la” on the instrumental breakdown. I'm not familiar with the Ferry cover of Let's Stick Together but it's passable. Despite getting to #3 and being one of Wilde's biggest hits, I can't remember You Came at all. It's unashamedly pop and I'm sure known by all and sundry here.

AND THEN IT'S TIME TO TURN IT UP as Don't Make Me Wait is a 1988 MAX TRACK for the unspeakably young Bomb the Bass. Reaching #6 in the UK, it envokes the electro urgency of Shannon's Let The Music Play. And to top it all off, the vocals are provided by Bradley from S Club 7's MUM. The Harder I Try is SAW hell. I also think that the former lead singer should give up on trying to still look like a twink. The side finishes off with a track that had originally reached #3 in 1969 but made #1 on re-release after being used in a beer advert. The first of two times being at #1 for the track, the second being the 2012 Christmas #1 for the Justice Collective.

Side 2 looks much more fun than side 1, even if it does begin with a remix of The Twist that probably hasn't been played in public since 1989. Wee Rule is an early example of British rap that tbh isn't worth seeking out. Beginning like Toni Basil's Mickey, I wasn't aware that Salt N Pepa had covered Twist and Shout. The bassline sounds like the one used on all early Lolly tracks. Yello are one of the few acts from Switzerland to have a top 10 hit. Anyone know the highest charting Swiss act? Is it Shakedown. I really like The Race but it's a track that perhaps has been forgotten despite being ubiquitous on racing programmes in the UK for a while. Big Fun is an utter banger although, if I had to be critical, this and Good Life are a wee bit too similar. I wasn't aware that Big Fun came first. The D-Mob track is very welcome indeed. I'm having a right old 80s rave up. Burn It Up is a track I've not heard much but sounds great to revisit. The compilers then get very rude indeed by seguing into Milli Vanilli. The scandal surrounding the band is one of my favourite things ever to happen in the history of the world. However, boring old Level 42 is even more rude.

The Jane Wielden track reminds me of the early 00s as it was played all the time in the rubbish room at the Popstars night club. Odd to think that the 13 years between 1988 and 2001 feel like a life time but 2004 to 2017 feels like fuck all #age. Secret Garden ain't a bad lead track for the T'Pau second album but I don't recall the track at all. It has a punchy urgency suggesting it should have been a bigger hit. In fact all the brash tracks from the back end of side 2 are pretty good. I Want Your Love is also worth a listen. Even I Don't Want Your Love ain't bad, despite not knowing it at all. They were pretty much over by 1988 but The Human League #41 SMASH is the penultimate track on the album. The closer is the hauntingly beautiful Martha's Harbour.

19. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I almost squealed at seeing Inner City but realized it's Big Fun and not Good Life although it's almost the same so yay.:) Oh and I didn't know that Big Fun came first either.

20. Marilyn

Marilyn User

21. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Yes! One of my favourite Now albums.

22. Breathe

Breathe User

That is a great track listing! I can't believe you called 'Teardrops' a load of old TOOT. It's an absolute classic! And the fabulous 'Rush Hour' didn't receive the praise it deserved either.

If you want my opinion, the whole Jane Wiedlin album is a buried treasure!!

23. lolly

I fucking LOVED Wee Rule. And the Trevor and Simon skit of it.

Suomi and Breathe like this.
  24. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

God I hate compilation albums. As usual one third MAX TRAX, one third MEH and one third TOTAL OLD DROSS

25. Shirley

'Burn It Up' is the FUCKING TITS and PP ARNOLD is FABULOUS :disco:

It's NOT SIMPLY A QUESTION OF GETTING HOT
    But a MATTER of HOW MUCH HEAT YOU CAN TAKE

26. Shirley

I'm going to test my theory because I've got fuck all else I can be bothered to do today

MAX TRACKS

YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION - The Only Way Is Up - I've become AU FAIT with the original 70s soul version of this but I STILL LIKE IT
    WOMACK & WOMACK - Teardrops - Best two note keys solo EVAH
    ERASURE - A Little Respect - "Maybe it's the rubber leotard"
    BOMB THE BASS - Don't Make Me Wait - Move Your Body EH EH EH EH EH EH SKREEEEEE
    BRYAN FERRY - Let's Stick Together - You glamorous old fossil
    WEE PAPA GIRL RAPPERS - Wee Rule - BOM BOM BOM BOM
    INNER CITY - Big Fun - Truly LIFE-CHANGING
    D-MOB feat. GARY HAISMAN - We Call It Acieed - As Morrissey once said "It's crap I know"
    BEATMASTERS with P.P. ARNOLD - Burn It Up - I refer the honorable reader to the post I made some moments ago
    MILLI VANILLI - Girl You Know It's True - You just can't keep the BEAST that is FRANK FARIAN DOWN!
    JANE WIEDLIN - Rush Hour - Darling it's just POP PERFECTION! 10000 BOOS to Belinda Carlisle

MEH

THE CHRISTIANS - Harvest For The World - MEH
    HUE & CRY - Ordinary Angel - MEH
    UB40 feat. CHRISSIE HYNDE - Breakfast in Bed - It's just not DUSTY
    ROBERT PALMER - She Makes My Day - this isn't the one with the YODELLING is it? That was QUITE GOOD FUN
    BREATHE - Hands to Heaven - MEH
    BROTHER BEYOND - The Harder I Try - Quite
    ART OF NOISE feat. TOM JONES - Kiss - Now I like a JOKE but REALLY
    KIM WILDE - You Came - I still giggle about this being a PROTEST SONG about PREMATURE EJACULATION
    SALT-N-PEPA - Twist And Shout - Really quite unnecessary
    YELLO - The Race - MEH
    THE PROCLAIMERS - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - I quite like this but what about my STREET CRED and anyway LETTER TO AMERICA was better. WHEN YOU GOOOOOOO
    ALL ABOUT EVE - Martha's Harbour - I quite like this too but GOTH and THAT TOTP appearance :D
    THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Love Is All That Matters - I quite like this but it's not 1986 any more
    TRANSVISION VAMP - I Want Your Love - I think I prefer BABY I DON'T CARE from the ever-ludicrous old WINDY and the boys for drinking too much BEER and STOMPING to

TOTAL OLD DROSS

PHIL COLLINS - A Groovy Kind of Love - SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP
    BOBBY McFERRIN - Don't Worry, Be Happy - Seemed funny at the time but seriously FUCK OFF
    THE HOLLIES - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - They sentenced me to TWENTY YEARS OF BOREDOM
    THE FAT BOYS with CHUBBY CHECKER - The Twist (Yo Twist) - Tee hee hee *KLUNK*
    LEVEL 42 - Heaven in My Hands - Pure rot
    T'PAU - Secret Garden - I can't EVEN
    DURAN DURAN - I Don't Want Your Love - 'Skin Trade' really was the only half-decent track they EVER DID, wasn't it?

11/14/7 COULD BE WORSE

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  27. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

"Wee Rule" is AMAZING.

28. Eileen

377. CLIFF RICHARD - Private Collection 1979-1988

Weeks at No. 1: 2

24/12/1988

Track Listing:

1. Some People
    2. Wired For Sound
    3, All I Ask Of You
    4. Carrie
    5. Remember Me
    6. True Love Ways
    7. Dreamin'
    8. Green Light
    9. She Means Nothing To Me
    10. Heart User
    11. A Little In Love
    12. Daddy's Home
    13. We Don't Talk Anymore
    14. Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)
    15. The Only Way Out
    16. Suddenly
    17. Slow Rivers
    18. Please Don't Fall In Love
    19. Little Town
    20. My Pretty One
    21. Ocean Deep
    22. She's So Beautiful
    23. Two Hearts
    24. Mistletoe And Wine

[​IMG]

This is Cliff's 6th #1 album out of 7 and it's a greatest hits compilation. Covering his middle to late period, this features some of his more maligned hits like Wired for Sound, with its video that featured at #1 on VH1's Worst Videos countdown. The album contains 13 top 10 hits, the only top 10 hit not being covered by this album in the time period given in the title is the Young Ones version of Living Doll.

All I Ask Of You features Sarah Brightman and is taken from the Phantom of the Opera. It's instantly recognisable. The genre of the tracks here is non-homogeneous. From the 80s pop of Wired for Sound, leading into the stage show theatrics of All I Ask of You, to the 70s-sounding rock of Carrie and then the 80s synths on Remember Me, the album benefits from not sounding all the same.

I'm not going to comment on every track but She Means Nothing to Me, which features Phil Everly, with its harmonies on the chorus is a stand out. The album meanders quite a lot after that with perhaps only the #1 We Don't Talk Anymore being worth a listen.

29. Shirley

'Some People' is GREAT

It's all about the 12" version which is an UNLIKELY SLEAZE CLASSIC

30. Eileen

378. ROY ORBISON - The Legendary Roy Orbison

Weeks at No. 1: 3

21/01/1989

Track Listing:

1 . Oh Pretty Woman
    2 . Only The Lonely
    3 . Love Hurts
    4 . Lana
    5 . My Prayer
    6 . Goodnight
    7 . Blue Angel
    8 . All I Have To Do Is Dream
    9 . In Dreams
    10 . Crying
    11 . Blue Bayou
    12 . Dream Baby
    13 . The Great Pretender
    14 . Running Scared
    15 . Borne On The Wind
    16 . Mean Woman Blues
    17 . Pretty Paper
    18 . The Crowd
    19 . It's Over

[​IMG]

And it's another retrospective compilation in a row and we're finally into 1989. This is the second and final #1 album for Roy Orbison, both of which are greatest hits. This second compilation hit #1 just over a month after his death.

It begins with a third play on the marathon for Oh Pretty Woman. Mercy. Only the Lonely and Love Hurts are also instantly recognisable. My favourite track by the Big O is You Got It and it's a bit poo that it doesn't appear on this album. All the tracks are very short – only two are over 3 minutes and none are more than 4. Lana is a jaunty pop / rock 'n' roll track that's worth a listen.

Orbison's voice sounds noticeably different on some of the tracks such as Dream Baby. It's a live recording and it's possible it was recorded a lot further into his career because his voice sounds older. The difference in ageing of the vocals is something noticeable on other greatest hits albums we've had in the marathon.

This is a very sweet album. There's no surprises and nothing to offend.

31. lolly

Wired For Sound 'maligned'?

I appreciate it may be damning with faint praise, but it's perhaps Cliff's very best.

32. Ag

Ag User

The lack of You Got It is a travesty.

33. lolly

Was the album released before the single?

34. lolly

The Legendary Roy Orbison entered the chart on 29/10/88.

Orbison died on 6/12/88, which was presumably why the album climbed after previously peaking at #41.

You Got It was released as a single in January 1989. The parent album 'Mystery Girl' was released in February 1989 and peaked at #2.

35. Ag

Ag User

Ah yes he died mid comeback which was poor/ brilliant timing.

36. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

"It's Over" is sublime.

37. Eileen

379. NEW ORDER - Technique

Weeks at No. 1: 1

11/02/1989

Track Listing:

1. Fine Time
    2. All The Way
    3. Love Less
    4. Round And Round
    5. Guilty Partner
    6. Run
    7. Mr. Disco
    8. Vanishing Point
    9. Dream Attack

[​IMG]

New Order are one of those bands music hacks would describe as “seminal”. I've only ever been a sporadic New Order fan and hate the 90s stuff like Regret. However, a lot of the stuff I like, I love. Blue Monday and True Faith are brilliant. This is the first of two number 1 albums for the band and, looking down the track listing, I am unfamiliar with all of it.

It opens with the lead single Fine Time, which is a great piece of electro wigglyness: almost instrumental and with a thump reminiscent of Blue Monday. All The Way sounds familiar despite being a non-single. It's 80s indie with a distinctive bass riff and reminds me of the Peter Hook side-project Monaco. Unfortunately, Love Less is in a similar vein whilst not being as good. After Fine Time, I was hoping for an album of wall to wall electro bangers. It seems that they saved the electro for the singles as Round and Round, single #2, is all synth pop, which is very welcome.

Guilty Partner returns to the indie and I can really hear the Monaco-esque sounds again. You can tell Peter Hook was the bassist. Run was the third and final single from the album, albeit in remixed form, and keeps on the indie bent. Mr. Disco begins with a croaky bassline reminiscent of early 808 State and is a welcome return to the electro sound. Vanishing Point keeps on the electro sound, although these last couple of tracks have been more of a fusion of the indie / electro sound rather than straight up Blue Monday sequencing.

Dream Attack completes the album and veers back towards the indie sound, albeit with a brooding synth bassline.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  38. Shirley

WHAT A GREAT RECORD. Shame they never made another one

Eileen likes this.
  39. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Crystal is one of the greatest songs of ALL TIME.

40. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

I'm speaking up for Regret which was one of their best singles.

Ag likes this.