Eurovision 2019 Tel Aviv | General Discussion Thread - Madonna Confirmed

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by David_5000, May 14, 2018.

1. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Is that for years 2016-2018 combined?

2. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Buy the EP on iTunes now!

Zu-Klara likes this.
  3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

So I was toying with an idea of having a Eurovision party this year for the first time in a long time and brought this up with some friends last night- I was AMAZED at how many are so against the idea of Israel hosting that they are refusing to have anything to do with it.

It hadn't crossed my mind to JUST NOT WATCH. How big is the "boycott" movement?

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

There's one woman at work who is boycotting it and encouraging me to do so. She's very much a casual fan, but then the majority of the audience are, I suppose.

5. Ag

Ag User

While I do get the link between Israel hosting Eurovision as a way of continued justification of Israeli repression of the Palestinians, it IS tenuous and is hardly going to change policy or actively militarise the process.

Besides almost everyone who actively wants to free Palestine is a fucking cunt.

6. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I'm not watching this year.
    Hoping to be part of the 'almost'!

Mugatu and Peekaboo like this.
  7. Ag

Ag User

I think my view was tainted by a loads of grubby cunts in Brighton disrupting my shopping trip due to Palestine. Hopefully my exaggeration was clear. Obviously I am against the colonialist elements of Zionism, but it's hardly a cause that dominates my life to the point of missing my favourite annual TV event. I have nothing against the people who enter or the the Israelis involved in making the program, however it may or may not be used by the Israeli government.

Suedey likes this.
  8. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

The British press is fairly biased against Israel, so naturally that spills through into the public perception of the country. Neither side is exactly behaving gracefully. The boycott movement is big in some countries - notably Ireland and Israel where many famous people spoke out publicly by signing a petition.

What annoys me though is that these people who are boycotting it, probably had no issue with the World Cup being held in Russia, the Olympics in Beijing, or any events in other countries which have issues. Why should they single out Israel?

Suedey, Cécile and Ag like this.
  9. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Because there is a specific movement, initiated by Palestinian activists, to encourage a cultural boycott of Israel. :rolleyes:

Zu-Klara likes this.
  10. Mugatu

Mugatu Ladministrator

I don't want to be rude but what do you read? It's rare to see any substantial coverage of Israeli war crimes in the mainstream British press, the BBC routinely water down their reports on the killing of Palestinians (including children) and change headlines under political pressure. I'm aware that Palestine isn't a progressive paradise but there is a massive discrepancy in how gracefully the two countries are acting - and absolutely a difference in the level of force.

I agree that more should be done to protest the actions of countries like Russia or China, but it's not mutually exclusive (and I'd bet that many BDS activists did criticise those two events). We certainly don't have such an active role in supporting the military in those countries.

Ag, Zu-Klara, Suomi and 3 others like this.
  11. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

Well this is extremely untrue and I'm surprised you can come to that conclusion but REGARDLESS, I draw a line with any politics at Eurovision unless it's through the medium of song.

12. Beverley

I support the BDS and I will still be watching

13. Suedey

Suedey King of Beauty

I'm not sure how I feel about BDS to be honest. I can see some of the points they make but there are plenty of rather abhorrent anti-Semitic voices in there from my personal interaction with some of their supporters.

Beverley likes this.
  14. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

The Independent and The Guardian ARE two outlets who generally are very much more pro-Palestine than they are with Israel. The BBC aren't much better. Usually when there is an attack in Palestine, the headlines are along the lines of 'Israeli militants kill 44 in Gaza' etc. Whereas its 'Bomb injures 10 people in Israel' etc. Its all very subtle. Both the aforementioned newspapers also publish a lot of opinion pieces. These are pretty much all pro-Palestine.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't have a particular side in this matter, but I do agree that politics should have no place in a song contest. I'll be in Israel in two weeks time, for which I have received quite a bit of flack for. One friend who commented was in North Korea last year. So that says it all.

15. Beverley

Definitely, but the fact that Israel get so shrill about it proves that it's important tool of protest.

Also, Kala, I totally disagree with you. I mean, you should just look up the journalist who writes the Guardian's pieces on the conflict. He is not biased against Israel.

Peekaboo likes this.
  16. Mugatu

Mugatu Ladministrator

I don't want to spoil Eurovision for you @Kalabaliken, I know it's your thing and I probably won't watch it anyway, but the links I included do show the opposite to be true in bombing stories, especially on the BBC. The Guardian have also done that same subtle, ambiguous thing when reporting on a raid in Gaza - the dead Israeli officer is the main subject, even when more Palestinians are killed. I'm sure there are more examples, if I digged back more.

Even then, are a handful of opinion columnists in a couple of liberal-leaning newspapers - one of which isn't even in print anymore - really representative of a consistent pro-Palestine bias in the mostly conservative British press? I don't think they are.

And I'm not confronting you for going to Tel Aviv, shaming people personally for this type of thing is pointless and unproductive, but saying you have no stance on the issue is nonsense. An event like Eurovision is inherently political, you can't say it's just some people performing some songs.

17. Beverley

And as queers, we should be especially interested. It might be nice being an apolitical white queen and all, but Israel literally uses LGBT rights as a way to 'pinkwash' its abuses in Palestine. That's why Eurovision specifically is so emotive for people; it's not just any cultural event, it's the premier event for gays.

Zu-Klara and COB like this.
  18. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I can't pretend I haven't had quite complicated feelings about my decision to travel to Tel Aviv this year. I still haven't landed in a place where I'm 100% comfortable with it, but I’m going to go to Bethlehem while I'm out there so at least some of my dirty tourist money goes to Palestine.

I will say that in my experience, the vast majority of Israelis I’ve met through Eurovision - who are admittedly younger, secular and LGBT - just find the whole situation sad and embarassing.

19. Suedey

Suedey King of Beauty

I find the idea of boycotting Israel morally wrong. I just do. Maybe I'm emotional but the Holocaust really wasn't that long ago. And no I'm not saying what the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians is right but that is my perspective on it.

20. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

If you're going to be in Tel Aviv in the week leading up to Eurovision I suggest you spare one day to go on the Breaking the Silence tour. Breaking the Silence is the NGO made up of former IDF soldiers who broke their silence on the atrocities the Israeli army commits in Gaza and the West Bank. They're running tours pretty much all that week, they pick you up from Arlozorov train station and take you to Hebron so you can see for yourself the reality of the occupation. It's all perfectly safe, they're super friendly and you can ask them anything. You will learn more about the Middle East conflict in four hours with them that you'll ever learn anywhere else. It's an amazing opportunity.

https://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/tours/1

Beverley, COB and VoR like this.