Eurovision Rewatch

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Ag, Mar 18, 2020.

?

Which year next?

1. 1993

8.3%
  2. 1995

16.7%
  3. 1996

58.3%
  4. 1997

16.7%
  1. Lucille

Lucille Tin Queen

I hope it lives up to the HALCYON days of 1998. :side-eye:

Penelope likes this.
  2. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

I'd like one from the early 00's on the off chance that I have a bit of memory of it. Any vores for 03 maybe?

3. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

While still on quarantine yes. I'm raring to go RIGHT NOW

Penelope likes this.
  4. Penelope

Penelope DON'T TALK TO ME

Anyone up for a HOT ALL NIGHT VIEWING of 2000? :disco:

5. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

But in truth I'm in bed having one of allas herbal teas so maybe Saturday is best. X

6. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

What does that pacifically entail?

7. Penelope

WATCHING IT (without the voting)

8. Penelope

9. Tischlampe

Tischlampe 'alooooo

Voting's the best bit. X

Penelope and Madison like this.
  10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’d love 2013 & 2014 to get a look in too, especially 2014

11. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Pace yourselves people, we might have a year of lockdown to get through!

Beverley likes this.
  12. Win_the_game

Win_the_game PAZZESKA

We could watch 2000 again. SOBER this time.

Lucille likes this.
  13. Suomi

Suomi User

Firstly, I'd just like to send my apologies for not attending last night's festivities. Due to my work commitments as a member of Moopy's now-defunct Mafia sect, I needed rest and recuperation before I could face the new enemies I have made ( @Penelope ) It has been a tough month for me on Moopy Moop - first I was forced into resignation from a high paying admin job following public riots, and then after finding employment in Kate's Mafia Muff Corp I was murdered by my own colleagues, before then coming back as a corpse and murdered again. I also now have hepatitis.

But onto happier things, like the greatest selection of songs Eurovision has ever seen. :disco:

1. Croatia - Neke Mi Svane - the greatest opener of all time. No gimmicks except one woman emerging from the throws of communism into GLORY. What an incredible performance by one of Eurovision's all-time greats (look up 'Nostalgija 95' if you don't believe me) Top 5 was right, and it is in my top 4 of all time.

2. Greece - Mia Krifi Evesthisia - my god this appalling woman - I mean, who hasn't woken up at some guy's house and realised they had to do the walk of shame ASAP if not before? Make up streaming, a ruined dress, no vocal talent - this nil-pointer is absolutely horrific :disco:

3. France - Ou Aller? - one of the greatest funk entries of all-time. This is actually v. good even though this context does not allow it to be fully understood. My younger brother and I still sing this to each other over the phone, as well as a certain incredible nil-pointer still to come...

4. Spain -Que Voy a Hacer Sin Ti? - Eurovision 1998 giving us well-timed toilet breaks, thank you mother :disco:

5. Switzerland - Lass Ihn - It makes me chuckle but I actually do genuinely think I can claim to be the world's #1 Gunvor fan. I've actively seeked out albums and facts ever since I saw this incredibly powerful number take to the stage on that dark Birmingham night. I genuinely do love "Lass Ihn" and my straight brother verifying that it is in fact a massive banger has always affirmed that I am not crazy .The lyrics are just so dramatic and the presentation of one woman on the edge of a breakdown because she wants to help her best friend is just such a high-key concept that by the time the violin comes in for a contemplative break I am lying on the floor. This is '...Baby One More Time' sung by Celine Dion. I cannot rave enough.

6. Slovakia - Modlitba - This lovely little moment reminds me of poster David, who was the only other human I knew who liked this :(

7. Poland - To takie Proste - Back in the day of WINAMP, I even sought out the English language version of this - "When Loves Turns to Hate". If you're a fan of weak-vocalled Celt-pop like I am, then this is the Poland for you.

8. Israel - Diva - Oh my fucking God. I think it was @Sheena who first said that this is an example of someone who doesn't have to do anything except stand and sing, such is their charisma and star quality. This is my favourite Eurovision song of all time partly because of this exhilarating performance, partly because of the LGBT right breakthrough, partly because it's such a fucking banger, but mostly because it's the best example of a winner encapsulating a contest. This was the year of the divas - all of the top 6 are female solo singers - and this was the greatest diva of them all :disco:

9.Germany - Guildo hat euch lieb! - If we HAVE to have a man, then I want a man freshly released from prison. The right side of fun4europe for me.

10. Malta - The One that I Love - Look, I can't even write about this anymore. It's just so iconic and contradictory in all ways that anything I do write would need an edit. I hate and love this at the same time and Chiara is such a Eurovision legend that to be honest she could sing the alphabet to me and as long as I get a wink I'll give it 10/10 and seek out an album. THE ultimate 5/10 track :disco:

Chlammy, Sheena, Tischlampe and 3 others like this.
  14. Suomi

Suomi User

11. Hungary - A Holnap - the absolute honour of being one of my top 3 worst Eurovision entries ever. My god read the room love!

12. Slovenia - not Dawn Martin -

13. Ireland - Dawn Martin - Is Always Over Now? - Now in a contest with so many divas, it was inevitable that some would get lost in the mix, and none did more so at the time than Dawn Martin. I think back in the day I was always perplexed by the use of the question mark in the title - I mean, I get it now, but at the time it just made no grammatical sense, and having just survived Hungary and Slovenia I just did not have the mental energy for Dawn Martin's C grade GCSE English language. But now I do. Following a 1998 viewing party at my house a few years ago, @Pingu , @Tetris-Rock , @VoR , @Penelope and I shared a collective moment of hysteria and joy watching this banger in its original context; it thus caused the term 'The Dawn Martin Effect' to come into the English language, signifying a performance or song that is so undeniably a banger that it unites all those who watch it. No questions, no discussion, just 11/10s left, right and centre.

14. Portugal - Se eu te pudesse abracar - Now this was also a delightful surprise upon rewatching. But my God by now I think you'll see that unless you're bringing an absolute 10/10 you are just going to get left on the shelf. SORRY PORTUGAL STILL GOOD THOUGH!

15. Romania - Eu Cred - see above, but not good. She died so it feels disrespectful saying anything negative :(

16.United Kingdom - Where Are You? - Oh my god, talk about the best of British. This is STILL effortlessly cool and enjoyable to both watch and to listen to. This would have made a great winner, but I think in the contest here it makes an even better runner-up. THIS is the template the UK needs to follow! The last TRULY great British entry.

17. Cyprus - Genesis - Love you Cyprus, you just keep truckin' on no matter what. Very dramatic, but not for now my love.

18. Netherlands - Hemel En Aarde - 'Too good for Eurovision?' - Well that was a barbed compliment from Wogan that I take issue with, but I do get his sentiment. This is in my top 5 of all time, both song and performance. The use of backing singers to capture a MOOD combined with such a charismatic singer are just perfect to show this great song in all its glory. I actually disagree with some of the comments regarding the Dutch language on this song - I think it suits the track perfectly. This would have made a sensational winner, and in my Eurovision fantasy it also won.

19. Sweden- Karlekan Ar - the dubious honour of winning the WORST Melodifestivalen of all time. This is exactly the sort of Swedish balladry I lap up - just hook it to my veins. I was always surprised it came 10th though - it feels too subtle to really garner mass support.

20.Belgium - Dis Oui - This is a melodic rollercoaster and a delight. 6th was perfect for it - not one of the big boys, but certainly the most fun of what's left.

21. Finland - Aava - Look, I'm sorry if you guys don't understand Finn-language celtic opera forest troll-pop. But on RECORD (the whole Edea album is available on Spotify) this is just spellbinding, and such a shame she couldn't recapture some of the vocal highs on the night.

22.Norway - Alltid Sommar - the highest ranking male singer and you can see why but thank god it wasn't an era of teenagers with text voting because this could have ruined Eurovision Divas Live '98.

22-24 - some more men giving us, the audience, the perfect time to debate and rank our favourite '98 divas. What a well-structured television show BBC.

When you throw in, on top of ALL THAT, the most exciting voting sequence of all time, and Ulrika Johnson trying to take down spokespeople for no reason it truly is a 10/10 occasion and I hope I have signposted where and how.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Kevin7, ButterTart, Pingu and 5 others like this.
  15. Penelope

16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I loved so much about 98. GUILDO being RIGHT UP THERE :disco:

17. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

That weirded me right out - it was like watching Fish from Marillion after a breakdown.

18. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I was actually surprised at how uncontemporary the 1998 contest was. It was a real timewarp in places and felt more like the mid 80s for the most part.

19. Sheena

But that was Eurovision of the time. Remember, we were only two years on from Gina G, which they JUST COULDN'T COPE WITH :disco:

Penelope, octophone and Suomi like this.
  20. Ag

Ag User

Poll added. Honestly some of years, the samples I've suggested are just the TIP of the ICEBERG :disco:

21. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I want to do them all. Don't really care about the order :disco:

22. Sheena

2002 and 2005 are both TOP YEARS

23. Alla

Alla 124/ 11124/ 11124/ 123456

I went for 2005, it has my favourite ESC song of all time.

24. David_5000

But Selma got knocked out in the semis?

Alla likes this.
  25. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I remember 2003 more fondly (Nicola :disco::disco:) but either that or 2005 are probably two of the strongest of the decade.

26. lolly

So 2005 tonight?

27. Ag

Ag User

I think so!

28. lolly

Ok, just voted to make the victory look more emphatic

29. Lucille

Lucille Tin Queen

30. Ag

Ag User

I must say although I voted 2005, 2003 looks absolutely DELICIOUS. Nicola :disco:

31. David_5000

Oh we'll get there I'm sure, it's my favourite year ever.

32. Ag

Ag User

33. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

34. Ag

Ag User

Yeah.

35. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

Oh shoot, I got mixed up thinking 2005 was 2004. I watched Michelle Gayle's attempt again a few weeks ago - what a horrible woman, but I won't deny her a song barely above Vanilla for kicks :disco:

36. lolly

I think I'd like to do another shitty production value one midweek again

Penelope and Ag like this.
  37. Win_the_game

Win_the_game PAZZESKA

We're not DP'ing again tonight are we?

38. lolly

I'd like to say I could be tempted, but there's still a LONG WAY TO GO...

39. David_5000

Exactly my thoughts.

well initially I thought no chance, but I could be convinced

40. lolly

Are we doing another NOW? @Penelope

If I'm going to do it, it needs to start very very soon

Madison likes this.