Failed girlbands

Discussion in 'Pop Toilet' started by Doodvid, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I loved Made In London

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
  2. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

It was ALRIGHT. There's one track that's a TOTAL rip off of Stop. I did LOVE Last Goodbye, which ended up being covered by Irish Popstars Six.

The Stargate tracks were the best - Sometimes You Hit, Sometimes You Miss and You Can Run But You Can't Hide were my favourites.

3. graves

graves User

Celena from The Honeyz little sisters band.....
    As a footnote I sang this in my first audition for sadly defunct boyband - 6 Appeal. I was subsequently thrown out before a chance to record a UK garage inspired cover of Hello by Lionel Ritchie :D :manson:

4. Kalabaliken

This one is even MORE obscure. Anyone remember this lot? :D

5. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Wow. Loving the Cyberpunk hairdos. Strange image for a pop group though.

6. Doodvid

Doodvid User

One of those looked like an early 'Home and Away' era Dannii.

7. Steptacular

Steptacular User

RobotBoy just reminded me of this instant (excuse the pun) classic.

If memory serves me the piss weak follow up Shopping featured Kim Fox from EastEnders in the video.

8. Doodvid

Doodvid User

"Sumagonnacomeagain" (as it was once displayed on Planet Sound on Teletext) was mid-tempo-Atomic Kitten-tastic in it's original form but a Love To Infinity remix made it a BEAUTY.

9. Kalabaliken

I'm sure RB said that they never even finished recording the Supersister album. :(

He also worked with this PAIR. The biggest Mi Chico Latino rip of EVER. They look like they are singing this through GRITTED TEETH! :D

10. That One

That One User

Benefit! They had a song called Sex Sells didn't they - I've just seen the original version for the first time but for some bizarre reason the Almighty remix (which is amazing but not on Youtube)) was hammered in our local gay joint in 2000ish, despite them never coming near to having a hit. The original is more quirky than I expected.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

When your first single is this and you think of yourself as the female Pet Shop Boys (their words) you would be miffed.

12. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

Were Girls @ Play meant to be the Spice Girls meet The Village People?

I always had a soft spot for the Dolly Rockers. They are still around but they're in development hell signed to RedOne's label and seem to have lost everything that made them interesting in the first place.

13. Kalabaliken

Benefit's album was released in the Lebanon and Germany, I found a copy on Amazon last year. They'd changed Sex Sells into It Sells. Which didn't quite work. They were a strange group - the ginger one wrote all the songs and the blonde one just turned up and sang!

14. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Hepburn were supposed to be all credible, Deep Down was my favorite

15. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Amazing - had surprise success in the US with this. Their album (the UK version) is GREAT...'On A Wing And A Prayer' is awesome.

Vaguely recall chat about the Boy Krazy material having been written as Kylie's potential 5th SAW album until she defected to Deconstruction. The timings match...

16. Kalabaliken

I was waiting for someone to post Hepburn. But with 3 top 20 singles and a top 30 album, I'm not sure they'd qualify for this thread.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

What was the other band's name around the same time, they had thunder in their name (all i can think of is thunderpuss or thundercunt which i know are not true).

18. Kalabaliken

Boy Krazy first came out in 1991, I think That's What Love Can Do was one of the last Stock, Aitken Waterman penned singles released before Aitken left. So Kylie was still with PWL at the time.

The group were dropped after the second single flopped in the UK, and they split up - but some DJ made a remix of That's What Love Can Do and it became a hit in the US in 1993 and they got back together again, and the album was released. Most of the tracks had been remixed many times, some of the tracks were meant for the Cool Notes album but I don't think any of them were for Kylie.

19. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Yes to the girls@play Village People comparison. They always wore a variation of an outfit based on their supposed careers. With that as their gimmick, how could they possibly have failed...?

The Dolly Rockers were such a missed opportunity. They had the Radio 1 support of Scott Mills for their buzz track 'Je Suis Une Dolly' but didn't capitalise on it. Now it's all about the fashion angle I think...and even that's looking tired. Somewhere in my flat I have a pack of about 100 Dolly Rocker lip-shaped window stickers.

20. Kalabaliken

Thunderbugs!

It's the only video I can find that isn't BLOCKED!

They had a top 5 single and then the second failed to make the top 40 because the record company decided to release it at Christmas. IDIOTS. The album was never released. Shame, as it's really good. :(

21. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Ah. Thanks for the Boy Krazy info Kala. It might just have been wishful thinking then.

22. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Now that I think about it, what a misguided band name. I loved one of their album tracks called Jealous.

23. Kalabaliken

Not sure what the meaning behind it was. I think they were meant to be like a 4 piece Belinda Carlisle, and were apparently more of a BAND than a GIRLGROUP. Jealous is really good. Their next single was meant to be Angel of the Morning, but then they got dropped and Shaggy stole it instead.

Jane - the lead singer - wrote Clea's Stuck in the Middle.

24. Doodvid

Doodvid User

This and 'Luv'd Up' are FABULOUS. They came about a bit too soon for the pop explosion of 1997. The album 'Teenage Kicks' was quite good with lots written by Sarah Cracknell from Saint Etienne. 'Feel So Fine' is a favourite.

The US version of the group with Luciana was PANTS. Only 'Tease Me' did anything for me (due to the presence of Pete Hammond).

25. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Gina G's 'Ooh Aah' backing dancers released this in 1997.

26. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Aww I loved Benefit, the miserable sell out old cows!

27. Kalabaliken

Their album is a bit HIT and MISS. There didn't seem to be a clear CONSENSUS of what type of band they wanted to be! There's another Latin tinged track on it called Shi Shi La La which is ALRIGHT.

28. Kalabaliken

OH MY ACTUAL GOD. This LOT just popped into my head. I wish they hadn't. :D

The fucking STATE!

29. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Anyone remember Max Clifford's ropey girlband, Bubbel G?

Probably the act most responsible for me wanting to get the hell out of my old job.

30. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Bubbel G (dire name) remind me of an equally crappily named group, Lemonescent...who sound like a brand of toilet cleaner. In all instances.

31. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The Ultra Girls had potential, but fucked it up with the choice of single and the video was the nail I'm the coffin. Also, the one in bunny ears and Mrs Mop outfit was a gobby irritant.

32. Kalabaliken

RB none of your videos are embedding.

I liked the Ultra Girls single, it was a cover though, the original was better:

Did they have better songs? The blonde one reminded me of Caroline from Scooch.

As for Lemonescent, one of them was in Jessie J's final 3 in The Voice this year.

33. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

HEPBURN. I remember them having a ridiculous PR budget because they were just everywhere. Someone needed to take their management aside and tell them they just weren't going to happen.

34. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Loving the amateur write-up on Hepburn on Wikipedia

After the breakup, Jamie Benson released a solo album in 2002 called 'Jamie Benson - My Confession'.[8] The album had four singles recorded for it, but only one was released commercially being "Invincible", which was released in mid-2001, but only charted in the top 100. Her current activity is unknown, with Sarah Louise Davies also unaware of her, as reported in an update on her message board forum, which has been inactive since 2002. Davies herself, after a long time away from the public eye, appeared as a guest on the identity parade segment of Never Mind the Buzzcocks on 10 January 2008. Phil Jupitus' team failed to correctly identify Davies, while Lauren Laverne (the guest team member), totally ruled out Davies as a possible correct answer from the beginning. Davies is now a Detective Constable with Nottinghamshire Police.[10]
    Drummer Beverley Fullen now DJs alongside Peter Gordon on 96.4 Eagle Radio's Breakfast Show, broadcast throughout Surrey and Hampshire.[11]

35. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Oh yeah, they did keep trying to make Jamie Benson happen. I remember two CD:UK appearances for two consecutive flop singles and thought at the time that it was a bit much (oh god - now I sound like the Wikipedia author)

'Bugs' was my only favourite of theirs...due to the fact that I had it drilled into my head every 2 hours courtesy of the Mothercare World playlist back in 1999 (which apart from this track, was actually a collection of pop classics).

36. graves

graves User

Europop perfection. (I know they were successful-ish elsewhere. Just an excuse to roll it out)

37. graves

graves User

I still really like this. Infinitely better than follow up Jennifer Lopez cast off "She Got Game".

38. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

the Uniting Nations remix of 'Lucky Like That' by Clea is UTTER PERFECTION

39. Kalabaliken

:D

I think they had the biggest selling single of 1998 in Denmark! This got to #38 in the UK and I was GUTTED. :(

40. Steptacular

Steptacular User

I liked that T-Shirt version of You Sexy Thing, but against the original re-release and the might of Clock it stood no chance.

Hepburn missed the top 5 with Deep Deep Down due to their label having a beef with Virgin Megastores or something. I love Dumb (Slip & Slide) by Jamie Benson, catchy as fuck.

I always remember when Anastacia first appeared I thought the one with glasses from Thunderbugs had gone solo.

Jellyhead by Crush I had on cassette but since flogged at a car boot, excellent song that was Republica must've definitely heard when writing Drop Dead Gorgeous. And it had a great remix too by Motiv8.