Failed girlbands

Discussion in 'Pop Toilet' started by Doodvid, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Alla

Alla ®

She's still around doing anything but singing, doing cheap realities and stuff like that. I doubt anyone here can name a single Rosa song except for the Eurovision one. So I think she just gave up and goes to any talk show and shit like that.

2. Devil

Devil I Need A House

The blonde one is Miranda Cooper from Xenomania isn’t it?

That and the fabulous SOAP song were massive down under - both huge in Australia and NZ. Figures, but SOAP really should have been an easy UK top 10 in 1998.

3. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Yep, that’s Miranda. She also was Moonbaby who sang Here We Go which was never actually released. The 2 T-Shirt Girls were Gina G’s backing dancers for Ooh Ahh at Eurovision.

4. PopLife

PopLife Schlagerfjolla

They were promoted like Germany's Pussycat Dolls. This was co-written by Ace Wilder btw

Swedish Popstars. Had #1 single and #1 album in Sweden, but not elsewhere. One of the members was Ana Johnsson (who had a hit with "We Are" some years later)

They also took part in Mello, but flopped and split shortly afterwards.

Talking about Mello girlbands - Cosmo4 were underrated too. Their album was released, but only 1 copy exists and there's no HQ download or streaming.

Then there's Eye-Q from Denmark. One of the members was Trine Jepsen (Denmark's Eurovision entrant from 1999)

5. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

Ooh I found out about Soccx after following Caity Lotz's acting career. Girl has tried a repertoire of gigs

6. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Only the Germans and Dutch (and gay attendees of grotty gay US clubs) appreciated the wonder that was The Flirts.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’m waiting for you baby
    It’s time for SHOW AND TELL

I BET :horny:

BoysForSeles likes this.
  8. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The Flirts weren't FAILED at all! They were a Hi-NRG/DANCE band and (rightly) MASSIVE in that arena! How failed can you be when you get to six studio albums?

9. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

The blonde has a ruthless look about her. I bet she was AWFUL to the other two and in my head made the redhead who looks quite sweet up close cry.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  10. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I assumed we were talking mainstream success here, plus I was looking to shoehorn this piece of perfection into other people’s consciousness somehow.

11. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

ANY EXCUSE I SAY :disco:

BoysForSeles likes this.
  12. Mugatu

Mugatu User

I can only guess I discovered this classic girl-band track via this hell portal.

It makes being slumped miserably on a threadbare sofa covered in silvery stains, hunched over in a dimly-lit lounge, pulling one out to the occasional flashes of CRT screen tits seem so exclusive and glamorous.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  13. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I just cannot imagine all this TREACHERY
    ALL I HAVE IS MEMORIES :(:D:disco:

14. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:D! How have I never seen this before? I bet they’re SPANISH :tongueout:

15. Alla

Alla ®

Barbarellas is also the name of the failed comeback for the B*Witched sisters. :disco:

16. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

They turn out to be DUTCH

DIRTY

Mugatu likes this.
  17. Alla

Alla ®

Just because they look like sluts it doesn't mean they're Spanish :D

They remind me of the CinCin girls, a tv show where you had the girls showing tits at any opportunity. Oh the 90s how I miss you.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  18. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

The Band Members section of The Flirts’ Wiki is quite amusing. No information about when they were members, for how long or even the dignity of a surname. Presumably Señor O just nipped down the Taco Bell to get new members after previous Flirts stormed out or had nasty scraps about hairspray :disco:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flirts

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  19. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I’m going to say the blonde from Passion has got to be either Holly or Sandy.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  20. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

She’s definitely not an Elizabeth or a Geri (:D)

BoysForSeles likes this.
  21. Alla

Alla ®

Back on topic, let's bring some forgotten ones from the 90s. Don't be surprised if @Kalabaliken knows them all.

Two years before Mariah, The Rebel Pebbles had a moderate hit in USA with this that I obviously like.

The Good Girls had some r&b hits in USA in the early 90s. According wikipedia this song peaked at #75 in UK, I had no idea. I do remember it from some rotation on MTV.

In the wave of En Vogue and some other successful vocal girlbands, Good to Go made some noise with Never Satisfied, but that was it.

One hit wonder The Triplets were actually real triplets, they had a top 20 hit in the US with this great song.

From Norway, The Tuesdays were heavily promoted all over Europe, I remember them on the radio with this song, but it didn't go anywhere.

Kalabaliken likes this.
  22. Alla

Alla ®

I tried to post 6 videos in one post but it says the limit is 5, WTF!? @Indie

Anyway, I'm surprised nobody named them yet. Wild Orchid had some small hits in USA but never a real breakthrough one. And most people only heard of them after Fergie went solo.

23. Mugatu

Mugatu User

What am I, chopped admin liver? I've increased the limit to 8, add away if you can find that many.

Alla likes this.
  24. Alla

Alla ®

I just had Family Fortunes winner Indie in mind, sorry! And thank you.

25. Mugatu

Mugatu User

No worries, I just wanted to showcase my technical skills in addition to my abilities in screaming at people :angel:

26. Alla

Alla ®

I also admit I wanted to bring Indie to this fiercely heterosexual post. I'll tag him next in an Eurovision one with any excuse.

27. Kalabaliken

@Alla indeed I have heard of all of them. I have all their albums. :D

Wild Orchid in particular were a favourite, and The Triplets song is just fantastic. That guitar solo! :disco: The Rebel Pebbles were, I think meant to be the new Go-Gos (same record label etc).

One of the members of The Tuesdays was Laila Samuels who was in Meoidi Grand Prix a few years ago with Afterglow.

Alla likes this.
  28. Kalabaliken

Anyway, here's a couple from me.

From Sweden, this lot had a #1 with their debut single and then never bothered the charts again, though they did manage 2 albums:

This lot I think were British but there's bugger all about them online. They had 2 singles produced by Stock Aitken Waterman and a couple more as Eden, but none of them were hits.

This group were from China, but for some reason were actually based in Germany, and their album was released there! I think this single charted but not much else. Chinese is quite a difficult language to listen to sometimes with music:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  29. Alla

Alla ®

Never heard of them, but that Delage song is the kind of shit I love :D

Those Swedish trolls SCARE ME.

30. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I'll make sure to tag you in football threads.

31. aquaplex

aquaplex User

Going back to flop girl duos, no one has mentioned E’voke. Ok so they had two top 30 hits but 4th single Missing You was all kinds of flopness.

It was promo’d in 1997 with the press release in the promo CD stating that this follows “two virtual Top 20 Hits” (their previous singles were #25 and #30) and was “an acceptable” version of the 1984 John Waite hit and that the duo were “maybe available for PAs etc”.

Label Pulse-8 went bust and somehow Warner picked it up. After months of getting new remixes, a video filmed in Iceland no less (the country I hasten to add), being re-promo’d and then having an emergency Christmas version made, promo’d and dubbed to the video when no-one was bothered.

It finally got released on cassette, vinyl and two CDs in the last week of 1998... and I’ve been reliably been informed that on the week of release it sold TEN copies, charted at something like 1,562 and went on to sell FIFTY copies in total.

Yet despite that Warner have actually digitised the single!

They tried to have Marlaine as a solo artist (with Kerry on backing vocals and the E’voke writers/ producers doing writing and producing) but nothing happened bar one single.

In 2013 the old head of Pulse-8 teased an E’voke album and new singles though these were just gonna be remixes versions of demos from the 90s. All that came out was one of Marlaine’s solo demos - All I Want albeit banded as E’voke (if you listen to it you can’t hear Kerry at all on it!).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Iguana likes this.
  32. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:D! No promo effort spared THERE!

33. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

Acceptable :D

That whole press release summary had me guffawing! Pictures please!

34. aquaplex

aquaplex User

It’s on the screen grab for this video (the “virtual top 20” is on the inner sleeve so this image has an outright lie of two top 20 hits - I could see Arms Of Loren maybe being top 20 in midweeks but no way Runaway - a #30 hit would have been)

Iguana and Zu-Klara like this.
  35. Iguana

Amazing :D

36. Iguana

Having now listened to (most of) it, I would say it is an honest description

37. Slave

Slave User

I think that press release is absolutely fine. I read it was I was playing Carly Rae Jepsen’s virtual #1 album E•MO•TION.

38. aquaplex

aquaplex User

Then please purchase it so that it can now officially have sold 51 copies.

I can only assume realistically it was pulled from release and those 50 copies where ones where some retailer didn’t follow orders and put them out to sale. Surely in those days a major releases single couldn’t sell just ten copies the week of release?

Iguana likes this.
  39. OutSynk

OutSynk User

OMG has THE REAL HEAT been mentioned? Honestly when you have this RICHARD X produced banger you can't be a failure.

Their last single was this:

Alla and Zu-Klara like this.
  40. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

They’ve the look of a less feral MKS :disco: