Favourite country music?

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Suomi, May 2, 2007.

1. Joseph

Joseph .

2. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

*bump*

Listening to the Dixie Chicks' "Home" at the moment, what a lovely album. At the time I think it was a bit too much of a departure from their first two albums but now I love it. Shame it was overlooked due to Natalie Maines' comments as it's probably their best album.

3. Ill Advised

Ill Advised User

'Home' is pretty much a 10/10 bar a few extremely boring songs, so 9/10

4. Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam User

Home is an amazing album. It's probably a good thing I bought it before Fly because it took quite a bit of work getting into it, and if I'd gone into it wanting Fly pt 2 I probably wouldn't have given it a chance.

I'm not sure if I've already done it in this thread but:

1) Travelin' Soldier
    2) More Love
    3) Top Of The World
    4) Landslide
    5) White Trash Wedding
    6) Tortured, Tangled Hearts
    7) Long Time Gone
    8) A Home
    9) Truth, No. 2
    10) I Believe In Love
    11) Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)
    12) Lil' Jack Slade

5. Ag

Ag User

Oh this SO SHOULD NOT be in the Pop Toilet...

6. Frozen

1. Top of the world
    2. Travellin' soldier
    3. Long time gone
    4. Landslide
    5. A Home
    6. Truth no.2
    7. White trash wedding
    8. Godspeed (Sweet dreams)
    9. More love
    10. I believe in love
    11. Tortured tangled hearts
    12. Lil' Jack Slade

7. Joseph

Joseph .

Taylor Swift finally made a vid for 'Picture To Burn' but they changed the line "That's fine I'll tell mine you're gay" :manson:

that's the best part of the song :angry:

8. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I have recently been playing this song ridiculous amounts:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkqcsGQM49Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FkqcsGQM49Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I bet you're in a bar...:( I love me some Lee Ann Womack and not just because she is totally Nashville Barbie plastic fantastic.

Haven't got into the new album properly yet, but if it has as many winning old style country pastiches as the last one I will be pleased.

9. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I don't really know any music by Wynonna Judd, but I feel her fashion sense and fabulous "less is more" approach to airbrushing on album covers should be celebrated...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. K@ne

K@ne Have a nectarine, Gonk!

Not a fan of Wynonna at ALL

11. Frozen

I've got a good bit of Wy (surprise surprise I know :D) if you're after a fix

12. K@ne

K@ne Have a nectarine, Gonk!

Fix him up with some prime TRISHA instead

13. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

It's all about La Toya Jackson's multiplatinum album From Nashville To You :disco:

14. Frozen

I put some Trisha up before and as far as I can recall Christian was the only one who bothered to listen.

15. Frozen

Don't forget this
    [​IMG]

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh actually, I remember Wynonna did a ridiculous dance version of 'I Want You To Show Me' by Foreigner. Do you have that? :D

17. Frozen

I most certainly DO NOT. There's only one good cover version of that song and it's by Tina Arena. (I do have Wy's version though, just not the dance remix)

18. loomer

loomer User

I thought VoR would be a fan of dyketastic Wynona. You have to love how pretty the mother and sister are compared to her.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And I still do. I had a spin only just the other day!

20. Frozen

What ones have you got again? I can't remember for sure. Can put up some more if you're interested?

21. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I'm quite fond of the current single by Reba McEntire. It's been a big hit in America. Take out her accent and the fiddles and this could be a big hit for any of the teen pop crowd IMO.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:cmt.com:437631" width="416" height="343" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="configParams=&artist=150211&vid=437631&id=1628769&%26startUri=mgid:uma:video:cmt.com:437631" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed> <div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:416px;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"> <a href="http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/mcentire_reba/artist.jhtml" style="color:#EC660C;" target="_blank">Reba McEntire</a> &nbsp; <a href="http://www.cmt.com/music/" style="color:#EC660C;" target="_blank">More CMT Music</a> &nbsp; <a href="http://www.cmt.com/video/music-videos/" style="color:#EC660C;" target="_blank">More CMT Music Videos</a> </div>

22. [insert your best offer here]

[insert your best offer here] User

Oh I like this :)

I am always up for a great mid-tempo country song by Reba.

I don't even notice her accent :shy:

23. POP!

POP! Across that county line

It's #1 on the Country chart, I think... she's one of the oldest to top the chart.

24. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I like the song but how come she gets a free pass when poor Dolly hasn't been in the top 30 for about 2 decades?

25. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Dolly had a Country #1 just a few years ago, making her the only female Country artist older than Reba to have a #1 on that chart, I'm pretty sure. Mind you, it was a collaboration with a 30-something year old man.

26. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Now that they are OUT of A Song for Moopy competition, I can rave a bit more about the lovely Sam and Ruby (Amanfu, of "Sugah" fame).

"Heaven's My Home", taken from The Secret Life of Bees:

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1146654&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1146654&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/1146654">Sam & Ruby Live- "Heaven's My Home"</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user372340">sammy b</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

27. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Dolly's just so bizarre to look at these days, it makes me quite :(

I've never been that keen on her more commercial efforts, but her bluegrass trilogy she did a few years back is absolutely brilliant.

28. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

*random bump*

I do like how some elements of US country music are basically a hangover of 90s power ballad pop.

This current hit by Sara Evans barely even qualifies as a country song at all aside from her accent, and it's great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lexeFtDREPg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. Ag

Ag User

I think this has been posted about this else where, but Kasey Musgraves anthem to NOT GIVING A FUCK and DOING WHAT YOU FANCY is lyrically LIFE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kQ8xqyoZXCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I love that Kacey Musgraves song thanks to an earlier recommendation from you, Ag. I've just downloaded the album.

31. Ag

Ag User

Is it any good? I see it's on Spotify actually...

32. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Some of my all time favourite country songs:

I only really discovered Patty Griffin last year, but I'm absolutely obsessed. She's got one of my favourite voices ever.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ODG2dCwnr00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VPeIrp-aIOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jnFCBNNHsg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucinda Williams:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mDq80rYhO_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jxpPL_aY190" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gillian Welch:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9qZOOb02u-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rye-slzWN1c?list=PLD24D1AA2EA6E249B" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  33. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'm just putting it on now, will report back!

34. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

UPDATE: It's unexpectedly great. Well worth a listen. It's not going to change your life, but it's a lovely album. There's a theme running through the whole album of the expectations v the reality of someone from her background in her part of the world. Like all good country music, it's very honest and intimately personal. I'm SOLD.

35. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I've never really explored her beyond the songs Dixie Chicks covered but I keep meaning too. Oh and Up to the Mountain which is obviously overdone like crazy on reality shows but in its original form is lovely.

36. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The American Kid album is well worth a download, chlam. It's actually the only full albums of hers I've got, though I've got lots of collections. I was supposed to see her live in London last year but ended up having to work. :(

37. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara AMETHYST DECEIVER

I suppose they're a bit ALT but the Handsome Family have been long-standing faves chez moi. Well, I didn't like the last album very much but even so. They're both utter lunatics and Rennie's rather amusing book 'Evil' is well worth splashing out a few quid on

I can even play this one on the accordion (vaguely)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  38. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara AMETHYST DECEIVER

ON A SPARKS ROLL

This one's very beautiful and horribly tragic

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  39. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

Oooh, I'll definitely give it a good seeing to tomorrow once I get working headphones again. Like I said I keep meaning but don't know why I haven't, everything I've heard her do is pretty much impeccable. Hopefully it's on Spotify.

I've been revisiting Alison Krauss (and Union Station) lately, beautiful. I saw them live a few years back and though there was a lot of bluegrass her voice is something else. Restless is my song of choice, followed by The Lucky One.

40. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I completely love Greenville by Lucinda. She kind of lost me a few albums back but Car Wheels... and Essence are both excellent.

It hasn't appeared yet but the other week I ordered this slightly confusingly named collection:

[​IMG]

1. Dolly Parton — Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind
    2. Lynn Anderson — Fancy
    3. Jeannie C. Riley — I've Done A Lot Of Living Since Then
    4. Bobbie Gentry — Reunion
    5. Tammy Wynette — Tonight My Baby's Coming Home
    6. Jean Shepard — A Satisfied Mind
    7. Nancy Sinatra — Get While The Gettin's Good
    8. Tanya Tucker — California Cotton Fields
    9. Sammi Smith — Saunders Ferry Lane
    10. Connie Smith — If It Ain't Love
    11. Jean Shepard — Two Whoops And A Holler