Favourite country music?

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Suomi, May 2, 2007.

1. Slave

Slave User

Having recently made K102 my FM radio station of choice, I am loving a bit of country music at the moment (to the point where it's just about all I listen to at home).

It all started with this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u9OKO1pyOlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clearly the concept of a country singer performing a series of annual gigs at Spring Break is about as ALIEN a concept as you could have for the UK market, but I love this song and the air of melancholy running through it so, so much.

2. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

Currently somewhat obsessed with this song, which just won Song and Single Of The Year at the CMAs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYZMT8otKdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And HELLO THIS GUY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

I want her long blonde hair
    I want her magic touch
    Yeah, 'cause maybe then
    You'll want me just as much

We've ALL BEEN THERE

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara AMETHYST DECEIVER

Given that NO-ONE paid attention to my Handsome Family contributions, HERE'S MORE

Poor, poor Lenore
    CARRIED OFF BY CROWS :(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

"What a terrible and scary music!"

Zu-Klara likes this.
  6. Zu-Klara

Oh ha! :D

They've obviously not heard Rennie squawking all over 'Down In The Ground'

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

And let's all look at Sam Hunt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:horny: forever

OutSynk likes this.
  8. NonEvent

NonEvent User

Girl Crush is dreary tosh and too much of a rip off of several other songs. JUSTICE4BONNIE

I can't see Moopy getting on board with Sam Hunt (apart from his looks) but I love his album. Breakup In A Small Town was one of my favourite songs last year, and all the other singles are great too.

9. NonEvent

NonEvent User

I'm still living for Cassadee Pope :disco:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EJZOeTnvq4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Although she has just come back with a self empowerment "anthem" and ruined everything :(

10. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

You say dreary tosh like it's a bad thing.

I'm excited about the Country2Country thing I'm seeing in March, featuring Sam Hunt, Little Big Town and Carrie :disco: plus someone else, can't remember

11. Ag

Ag User

The sister in law is obsessed with Sam Hunt. I don't care for the tunes, but he could ravish me.

12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I have nothing recent to add to this discussion, but I have been shame-listening to this mawkish old shite quite a lot recently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RV-Z1YwaOiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Which reminded me of the time (early 00s) when big US country hits that weren't by Shania Twain were only ever released in ridiculous dance mix form.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sy1nFEyMHPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The peak of this microgenre of course being this fabulously ridiculous spectacle.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jNDGArNbsCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I like Shelby Lynne from the 'I Am Shelby Lynne' album onwards. The last Sheryl Crow album was listenable country to me and I did enjoy some of Tiffany's last album 'Rose Tattoo' which saw her return to her (apparent) country roots.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZSSepfC6vH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  14. Slave

Slave User

I LOVE Sam Hunt. 'Montevallo' is a superb little album - although in parts it's about as country as a Taylor Swift album. He seems to be doing really well in America, despite the fact that his sound is all over the place across the four singles he's released from the album.

15. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I'm enjoying this a lot at the moment, it is pleasingly old fashioned:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vAiU9ti9bwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yujpQuYIHUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

I was at the Country2Country festival last night in Dublin and it was brilliant - Sam Hunt was stunnin', Carrie blew everyone away as per but Little Big Town were something ELSE. Just fab.

HIYA JIMI :horny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. FetchFugly

As with Girl Crush I haven't gone beyond the single but this has been a recurring favourite over the last couple of months:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uyGSe76rAJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. FetchFugly

I also love this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LtxUDSRfmto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

Obsessed with this new Little Big Town single. One of those songs that stop you in your tracks and make you feel it's your life :disco:

BOY YOU NEVER THOUGHT I'D RUN

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I-VhLpNuysA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  20. Ag

Ag User

Oh that's lovely! Doesn't relate to my great relationship right now, but I'd been lacking any great new female country (:))

21. straightorbroken

straightorbroken User

By default, Shelby Lynne and Joan Osborne.

22. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Next April I'll be fulfilling my lifelong (well, since I was 12) dream of seeing the Dixie Chicks live in concert :disco:

23. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

The Kelsey Ballerini Peter Pan track is my absolute favourite at the minute.

24. Cathy de Bourgh

Cathy de Bourgh User

I saw them in London in May and they were rather fabulous, you're in for a treat!

25. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

Possibly one of the best live shows I've ever attended.

26. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

ESPECIALLY if you get the Ready to Run and Goodbye Earl perfs we did!

27. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Maren Morris - My Church is probably my favourite recent country JAM.

28. Suedey

Suedey #WorldChorusDay2020

LEANN RIMES FORUM NOW

29. ameraal

ameraal i just wanna stay in the moonlight

i've been quite taken with the sturgill simpson song since the grammy's. it recently got a somewhat political (and corny as fuck) music video which has apparently got some people up in arms (though obviously not enough to watch it).

FetchFugly likes this.
  30. Zu-Klara

In what is probably not my last attempt to drum up any interest in the wondrous Handsome Family, here's a regret-soaked number about never getting round to seeing Tiny Tina, the world's smallest horse (who was more than likely the size of a chubby donkey)

Drinks just a thimble of water. Eats just a handful of straw

:D:(

31. cwej

cwej User

I don't like country as a rule, but I do like Shelby Lynne.

32. straightorbroken

straightorbroken User

She's brilliant. Loser Dreamer from the lo fi Tears, Lies & Alibies still haunts me, but Killin' Kind and Your Lies are probably the most obvious entry points. What a voice, and definitely a butch queen. Even if you're not familiar with her family history, her cover of Mother is something else, euphoric agony as if not knowing anything else cradles her with some sort of comfort.

I'm going to suggest Liz Phair's Polyster Bride for a swanky this ain't no disco country number.

And whilst I'm at it, Fool for a Country Tune by Dusty Trails, and Billie Ray Martin's Ambient Tales, those do country without resorting to doing a Cyndi Lauper.

33. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Really? I was disappointed when I seen them last year.

Carrie Underwood on the other hand was phenomenal

34. FetchFugly

That song is basically a southern soul record. Very good too.

35. FetchFugly

Belatedly I have been enjoying both the Maren Morris and Brandy Clark albums from last year. The Brandy one covers a lot of the same themes as Kacey but isn't as sunny sounding.

Also Slow Club aren't really country but this one is I'd say

36. Dr. Who

Dr. Who User

I'd like to mention Guy Clark, who is one of the most admired songwriters in a world where commercial was increasingly being favored over craft. I love his song "Broken Hearted People", the lyrics are so much perfect. His best songs are "My Favorite Picture of You", "Dublin Blues", "Homegrown Tomatoes", "Fools for Each Other", "Desperados Waiting for a Train", "Rita Ballou", "The Partner Nobody Chose", and "Texas, 1947".

37. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

immediate theory: Dr Who = Guy Clark

38. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Suomi likes this.
  39. Steptacular

Steptacular User

LeAnn Rimes version of the The Story is one of my favourite songs of the last 12 months.

40. FetchFugly

I unapologetically prefer the Leann version of The Story but this song from the new Brandi Carlile album is beautiful:

She sounds quite like Emmylou in parts.