Final Fantasy 7 (Remake)

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Phoenix, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Slave

Slave User

The fact that it's episodic increases the likelihood of at least one part this year I'd have thought.

But at the moment it's all still very vague. I can see where you could feasibly split the story into episodes from the original - the whole Midgar section seems like the obvious candidate for a first episode (especially since that's all we've seen so far) but that's the bit (excluding the drag section) that excites me the least.

2. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

No the Midgar bit and the escape from it has the potential to be amazing! They're gonna be able to render all sorts of amazing graphics and have you explore more parts of its dystopia. Although don't some of the spinoff games/films go into the backstory of Midgar and Shinra Corp?

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the slap-off with SCARLETT :disco:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. Slave

Slave User

Yes - I suppose that's why I'm less enthusiastic about it. Obviously this won't be the same Midgar that was rendered in Crisis Core, but it's the area most revisited in the spin-off games. And I suppose in terms of a big industrial city, it's not really UNIQUE from a lot of other RPG's.

4. Slave

Slave User

An interview with the producer of the re-make. Apparently they still can't/won't go into specifics about materia, world maps, etc. but it's still interesting to see how it looks to be panning out:

I love that the issue of Cloud's cross-dressing is apparently causing such a "challenge" :D

That fact that each game is potentially as big as XIII makes me think that this whole project could take YEARS to be fully released.

5. Slave

Slave User

An interview with the producer of the re-make. Apparently they still can't/won't go into specifics about materia, world maps, etc. but it's still interesting to see how it looks to be panning out:

I love that the issue of Cloud's cross-dressing is apparently causing such a "challenge" :D

That fact that each game is potentially as big as XIII makes me think that this whole project could take YEARS to be fully released.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Doesn't say much does it? Still nice to know that it's not a carbon copy.

7. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

New screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

And apparently the voice acting is complete, although I'm not sure what that means in terms of the game's completion.

9. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

I really want a Switch version. Looks nice I suppose.

10. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Well what we do know is that it is going to be an action brawler in the vein of Kingdom Hearts. So expect to be able to run around the battle arena and directly impact on combat. I'm reckoning it'll be somewhere between FFXV and Crisis Core in that respect. We've seen elements of stealth in there and whatnot.

In terms of episodic structure, people have been theorising how it'll be split up. The most logical divides are:

Start -> Leaving Midgar
    Hitting the world -> The end of North Crater 1st time
    Wake up in Junon -> The end

That's if they keep it for a 3 part structure, nothing to say it won't be divided more.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

12. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I think that looks GREAT apart from the battle system. The jury is out on that one.

13. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

The camera angles are that frighten me the most.

I'm so over 'cinematic combat' that focuses more on style and less on the actual experience of the player.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

03/03/20

15. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I’m EXCITED, but still not convinced by what we’ve seen of the battle scenes.

16. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I was hoping for this Christmas, but March isn't too bad! I want to know what those ghost things at the end are, random enemies or are they adding new plot stuff? :o

There'll be more at the Square Enix E3 event tonight - I'm expecting them to show Tifa, but I'm also hoping to see a bit more about how the game actually works outside of battle scenes.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Longer trailer with Tifa footage and they explained the gameplay which looks miles better than XV

18. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Looks like the combat will be very aRPG :disco:

19. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Yep, I'm very into the new battle system after seeing it here:

Also... hello :love:
    [​IMG]

20. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Also, a remaster of FFVIII!

ZELL DINCHT IS GAY CULTURE

21. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I know it was inevitable but action RPG wasn’t what I wanted from this remake. I think it looks a bit messy at the moment and I’m really not a fan of “mash square to attack”.
    I’m still excited though.

KindaCool likes this.
  22. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

The Facebook posts about the various versions just talk about “The game on 2 discs”... so is that the episodic thing in the bin?

23. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

No, this is part one and will be on two Blu-rays - it seemed to be confirmed last night that this part will be set entirely in Midgar, so they seem to be adding a lot of material (as each part is the length of a full game). I'm not sure about stuff like Sephiroth showing up so early (even if it's just in Cloud's head), because the way they paced it and built him up in the original was pretty perfect.

24. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Well if they're gonna milk the game across 3 installments (which I'm SO not complaining about), they'll have to expand on the story and give it new nuances that the original 'couldn't' do.

Also, I'm not sure what people were expecting from the combat system. It sure as hell wasn't gonna be Turn-Based. It's an RPG, so naturally even if it IS a bit mashy, you'll still need to be strategic with your skills/abilities/etc. THAT'S the part I'm curious about. They've shown basically ZERO evidence of the game's ability system. And we know that they've either given materia the chop or a very minor role this time round.

25. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

From what's shown in the video I posted earlier, it seems pretty straightforward - it's real-time and your regular attacks don't do much damage, but they fill the ATB bar which lets you go into slow-motion and use abilities, magic etc. You can also bind abilities to shortcut buttons if you prefer a totally real-time experience, which I assume would play a lot like the Kingdom Hearts games.

KindaCool likes this.
  26. Slave

Slave User

Obviously they’ve done a lot of work to Midgar, which is my least favourite area - although I would imagine each sector will now have its own identity so that it’s not just a whole game of GREY.

What I’d really like is for them to give a rough schedule as to when the next parts are due - in the same way that movie studios do.

Square Enix have a dreadful reputation for delays following the Kingdom Hearts debacle. And I’d like to know if we’re going to have to wait TEN YEARS for the next part.

Moreso given the original game was delivered in one part (albeit across 3 discs). Having made the decision to split the game, significant delays between parts are going to be tough to digest.

27. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

After the FFXV debacle I’m tempted to just wait until all parts, patches and DLC are out to play it.

28. Slave

Slave User

If it's anything like XV then it'll be abandoned long before the end :D

29. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 4: Episode Marlene...... CANCELLED

30. Slave

Slave User

Square have already confirmed that they can't say how many parts this will be released in...because they don't know.

I don't know whether to :D or :manson:

31. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

They’ve already announced 3 pre-order DLC summon Materia.
    I’m over it already.

32. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

*buys*

33. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I’ve gone into full FFVII obsessed mode and I’m playing through it again on my Switch. I’m out of midgar and my playtime is 4 hours 15. I just don’t see how they’re going to make part 1 into a fully fledged game.

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah that’s it, is it going to be like dragging the hobbit out to 3 movies?

35. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I'm guessing they're going to be letting us explore a lot more of Midgar - we only really see the slums and Shinra HQ in the original, there are other sectors and the entire upper city above the plates we never went to previously. There's also probably going to be plenty of new plot points added between the existing ones; I'm expecting some of these to really flesh out the other members of Avalanche, so their deaths become a lot more meaningful than they were in 1997.

36. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

The FFVIII remaster is out on the 3rd of September, I can't wait :disco:

KindaCool and Diddy like this.
  37. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

:( I saw there had been new posts and thought there had been some FFVII news.

38. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Very sexy, but they've totally WHITEWASHED him. He looks mixed race now! (I hope you can still date him in Gold Saucer).

39. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Gag! About fucking time

40. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

COB likes this.