Final Fantasy 7 (Remake)

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Phoenix, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Reviews seem to be pretty positive!

2. Cloud

Cloud Heck

Slightly messed up with dithering - with my birthday coming up I thought "I'll hang on, just in case.. y'know" and then all the corona stuff came along.... Then thought last week "yeah I'd better just pre-order that Deluxe edition I'm after" and it was out of stock EVERYWHERE except for a few eBay scalpers

However, after a bit of refreshing on Friday I did get Game to eventually accept an order. Not counting my chocobos until they've despatched, but fingers crossed...
    Certainly not expecting it for release day, just having the edition I wanted would be nice.

3. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I'm really enjoying it so far! I've not played TOO much (about five hours or so since Friday), but once you accept it's very much a modern game in terms of structure it really is fantastic. I'm really enjoying the combat in particular, it seems like a very flexible system that lets you tailor things to your play style.

4. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I’m loving it now. Just got out of the train graveyard at 20 hours.
    I absolutely love the battle system, and you really have to use every character to get the most out of it all.

Cloud likes this.
  5. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I just did the
    VR battle against Shiva to get her materia, and I was basically screaming the entire time :disco: Can't wait to summon her in battle! Also Aerith is far more fun to use than I expected.

6. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I’ve found myself using Cloud the least out of everyone!

7. COB

COB Nasty Boys

The digital version is now unlocked in the UK! I expect that quite a few people will be pulling all-nighters with it tonight :o

I have got to chapter 9, and before I stopped for the evening I
    died on the last fight in the arena - I can't believe they brought back that stupid HOUSE enemy from the original and made it rock hard, how dare they :D It completely battered me, the previous fights had been so easy it made me overconfident, perhaps! It feels like I'm so close to the hot drag scene too, how exciting :disco:

8. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I am so tempted to get this, the reviews have been great and it just looks phenomenal. I just don’t want to wait 3 years to get another sliver of story.

9. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

3 years? You're optimistic, aren't you?

10. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Amazon IS delivering FF7 on time it seems, even while prioritizing Covid-19 related products.

11. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Waiting endlessly for a game is pretty standard these days. That's just the nature of big famous titles and franchises. The hype and anticipation are just part of the industry.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

They have the bones, the gameplay won’t change it’s just creating the world so I am a bit optimistic.

13. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I finished it today at about 40 hours. The game just got better and better as it progressed and I just didn't want it to end.

Hurry up everyone so we can discuss the ending!

14. Cloud

Cloud Heck

I'm still at Sector 7! But I do explore every nook and cranny (wait that's Animal Crossing) and listen to every NPC conversation. So far most that they've added has felt like a believable expansion rather than a retcon (like say, slipping in the War Doctor in DW) except for the Dementors (might as well chuck another pop culture reference in) which I'm hoping make sense later. It's everything I hoped so far, but obviously going to be short.

They really turned Jessie's flirting past 11 to OUTRAGEOUS but I can cope with being a chick magnet.

KindaCool likes this.
  15. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I'm on chapter 14 doing sidequests, some of them are quite difficult :o

16. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

The game is fucking fire. I'm loving how ACTION PACKED it is. There are battles and explosions left and right.

It's more than lived up to the hype.

17. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Meanwhile, are they gonna give players a way to transfer their character to the future sequels? Or do you start from Level 1 again? Or maybe from a predetermined level and materia?

18. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Is it worth a try if I never played the original? FF13 (and sequels) is the only one I've played.

19. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

You don't need to have played the original. If anything, I think it's great to be introduced to the FF franchise with this game.

FF13 doesn't even really count.

20. COB

COB Nasty Boys

It took me about three tries, but I finally beat
    Leviathan - what an absolute bugger!

21. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

It’s an interesting question. I think the maximum level you can get to in this is 50, so that isn’t a problem.
    How they’re going to deal with the fact we already have maxed out magic materia I’m not sure!

22. Cloud

Cloud Heck

I'm guessing from scratch each time. I remember first getting cure2 or maybe cure3 like uh.. aaaaages later, desert prison?

Besides this is like 1/30th of the original game and at 3-5 years per part we'll be playing into the afterlife

Roche though... Most annoying character in all of FF and I include Selphie.

23. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

:shock: I love Selphie!

But yeah, I hate all of the Turks tbh. Reno is even worse.

I find Zell annoying too.

24. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Selphie is canonically the most powerful party member in any Final Fantasy game, just a reminder :kim:

25. Cloud

Cloud Heck

She's not that bad, just an easy target :D
    I think it's just Roche's over the top screeching and cackling gets on my nerves.

Now landed on top of Aerith so time for some other sectors. If there's not someone wandering around looking at the ground (and later wandering around looking up), a guy who are sick inside a pipe, and a clothes shop with someone who keeps saying "Don't push! Hooligan!" then I'll be putting my ZERO STAR reviews in.

KindaCool and COB like this.
  26. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I think I'm very near the end now :o
    I have escaped from Shinra HQ on the motorbike and have taken a break before what I can only assume is the final boss :o

27. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I do love that I've had the game for a full week before release, and a lot of my friends who got it on Friday have already beaten me to finishing it :D I just can't do super-extended sessions I guess, call me a fake gamer girl if you MUST.

28. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

You’ve done it faster than me! Took me a week and a half to finish. I’ve been playing it far more than I normally would due to not being at work.

29. Cloud

Cloud Heck

My goodness. Aerith
    SWORE

30. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Just finished! I will need to collect my thoughts, I think - that was a lot! :shock: I really enjoyed it though, and I really hope we only have eighteen months or so until the next part (I know that's optimistic...)

31. COB

COB Nasty Boys

So...
    Did they do a meta thing here, by having the ending being about literally killing the concept of predestination - have they freed themselves from following the original story from this point on? I think I'm sort of here for that idea, partly because it would annoy lots of people :tongueout: I could also see them being complete trolls, using all this to tease the idea that (for example) Aerith will live this time - then she dies exactly as before ANYWAY. Or they could have her survive, but they realise she HAS to die for complicated timeline reasons and it's very emotional and etc etc. And what was the Zack stuff all about? God I hope it's just a flashback or in Cloud's mind, him being alive would be a step too far for me. It was also pointed out to me that the Stamp on the crisp packet in that scene was a different breed to the Stamp we saw throughout the game... what does it MEAN?!

Cloud likes this.
  32. COB

COB Nasty Boys

I'm properly obsessed with the Stamp song :D There doesn't appear to be a ripped version available yet, but here it is from the game:

Bow wow wow
    Bow wow wow
    He's a GOOD BOY who NEVER STOPS

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  33. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Also in awe at this absolute banger:

The way it teases you, then goes fully balls to the wall for the third phase of the fight (around the 5 minute point of the video) :disco:x infinity

34. Cloud

Cloud Heck

Heading to Wall Market. There sure is a lot to milk of Midgar in the remake!

I find it interesting that there is sometimes a bit of..... foreshadowing. There were flashbacks in the original, but it seems to go both ways in the remake which if they overdo it will make things to come later lose their shock value for newcomers to the title.

ETA: I was kind of hoping we'd get "we're fighting a house?!" along the way :(

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  35. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

The house bit was lots of fun.

36. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

YES! Some of the music is absolutely epic, and so enjoyable.
    At the same time though there we’re some FFXIII-lite duds.

37. Cloud

Cloud Heck

There IS a house bit? Ooh. I may have jumped the gun.

38. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Oh, they make it a MOMENT :D

39. Cloud

Cloud Heck

A moment I just spent most of my ethers on!!

40. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Just finished it. Overall it's a solid 8/10.

PROS

The best thing about it is it strikes the perfect balance between nostalgia and freshness. I love how they included so many small details from the original, like the dialogue, specific scenes and quests. And of course the MUSIC :disco: But they added in loads of new bosses and scenes so it wasn't too predictable/unoriginal.

Great that they kept the equipment/materia system basically identical. Adding the weapon upgrades was perfect addition because it adds new depth to battle prep.

It also feels like a full standalone game. Plenty of fun and action on its own. Lots of boss fights and ass kicking.

I love that they took so many memorable iconic monsters and promoted them to Bosses. Especially...

And of course...

Best music by far is the MANY variations of the battle theme, but especially the one when you fight Abzu/Aps.

CONS

The game is pretty much all linear, which is obviously expected, but still. A little more freedom would've been nice.

Some of the battle mechanics were annoying but nothing big.

that the Motorball boss fight was all on the bike.