Final Fantasy 7 (Remake)

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Phoenix, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now I just have to beat Sephiroth on hard mode for the Platinum. Just 85 hours on the clock now :)

COB likes this.
  2. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Let me wash your back for you.

YES!!

Child's play compared to what you just did, especially with your new accessory.

3. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

You’d think but I gave it a try and only got halfway through his health.

4. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Fucking finally

KindaCool and COB like this.
  5. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

So I've FINALLY got around to playing this, and I'm sure opinions similar to mine have already been covered in this thread (:D) but I'm going to voice them anyway:

- WOAH at the scale. They've squeezed SO MUCH out of the Midgar section, and so far (I'm just before the second reactor at present) none of it seems like padding - it feels like necessary world-building.
    - I wish they hadn't put the demo out in retrospect. It was GREAT at the time, but was a slog to re-play and dimmed the magic ever so slightly at first.
    - I love that you can level up each weapon, with a set of points allocated to each weapon so you don't have to spread points between multiple. It feels deeper and more tactical, yet not overly-complicated. I hope this means I don't have to constantly buy NEW EQUIPMENT every 5 mins like in the old games.
    - One of the boss fights so far, the sort of armoured car/tank thing that sits in the corner then comes alive midway through all the train tunnels was genuinely challenging and quite THRILLING to play. In FFXV a lot of the boss fights were overly-epic set pieces or over in 2 minutes. This felt a good midpoint.
    - The only thing that is driving me mad is not being able to use magic and items from the off in battle because of the ATB system. Fine, I get it, but I've had multiple battles now where the gauge for characters charges SO SLOWLY. It's particularly annoying when it's airborne enemies that only Barrett can really attack, and you need to use magic but CAN'T and then need to heal and also CAN'T because the ATB bar isn't charging :manson: Is there a workaround?

Anyway, it really is fantastic so far. FFXV feels like a dry run in many ways, with this game refining the somewhat crunchy formula from it dramatically. If they are putting this much detail and story to this section though, how are they EVER going to finish the game? :D

6. COB

COB jumped up little prick

You will get materia and (I think) accessories that help the ATB gauge fill quicker, but I understand the frustration there - my usual tactic in fights was to attack with a character until they had one gauge, then switch to each other character and do the same with them before I even thought about any other strategy. As you say though, not always useful with stuff like aerial enemies :(

wurst likes this.
  7. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

Ooh thanks! I did have a quick google post-blathering above just to make sure I wasn’t just playing wrong, and thankfully it seems to be a common gripe. However the internet was rife with GRUMBLING and very short on actual practical advice. I will try your pointers :disco:

8. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

VERY TEPID SPOILER -

OMG I just had such a cute fan girl moment when you first get to Aerith’s house and she wanders off the LOOK FOR A BASKET or something, and the game leaves to wander round her house inevitably leading you to her ROOF TERRACE that just let’s you look over the beautiful Aerith House environment whilst Aerith’s Theme plays :disco: Such a lovely and simplistic piece of fan service :disco:

Oh and thanks COB! Your ATB tips helped :disco:

COB likes this.
  9. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

OK so making my way back to Sector 7 and the game is starting to be a slog for this FIRST TIME. So bored of GIANT HAND PUZZLES!

10. COB

New trademarks filed...

[​IMG]

wurst and Gangsta Nancy Lam like this.
  11. COB

Of those, I'm assuming that at least Ever Crisis is a return to the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII as it fits the established naming convention...

Advent Children
    Before Crisis
    Crisis Core
    Dirge of Cerberus
    Ever Crisis

ButterTart likes this.
  12. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

OMG! Mind BLOWN!

COB likes this.
  13. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

I still haven't finished this game :D I PAUSED IT to finish off Ni No Kuni 1 and play Death Stranding and Judgment.

I picked it up the other day having abandoned at the final side quests before you scale the wall - omg I love the Shinra building? The brief Tifa section was cute, and the museum/Ancients film section was :disco:

I've just got to Hojo's Secret Lab/Chromatica and I've really enjoyed how they kept it similar, but different. It almost doesn't feel like it NEEDS the additional parts* as it feels like a complete-ish game in itself already.

*obviously it DOES need the additional parts to the Remake :D I need Vincent's GLOW UP! :disco:

COB likes this.
  14. COB

I'll be really interested to see what you think after finishing it! There are certainly THRILLS and SPILLS to come :eyes:

15. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

I've somehow avoided MOST SPOILERS, but I'm somewhat aware that my positive mood may sour within the next few hours of gameplay :D

COB likes this.
  16. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

oh how was Ni No Kuni? I was all excited but the game itself didn’t really grab me at the start so I sort of fizzled out. Cocknose wasn’t a very nice sidekick, with that massive Prince Albert

ButterTart likes this.
  17. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

The bump in this thread made me think there was news for part II (due 2042) :(.

18. COB

I honestly don't think it'll be THAT long, I know there's a lot more involved that this but they do have the basic game engine already developed so hopefully that will help cut down the time a bit. I'm expecting a next-gen rerelease of part 1 in the next few months, with part 2 late 2022 (and FFXVI somewhere in early 2022). I can't wait to see how badly this post has aged in a few years' time :D

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Soon!

20. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I played the original and it looked and sounded a million dollars and the storyline should have grabbed me a lot more than it did, but it didn't really. It was merely okay. All fur coats and no knickers. The Welsh sidekick was an IRRITANT more than anything.

Diddy likes this.
  21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh I forgot he was WELSH. It's a cute accent but not the way he does it. Well, I picked it up in a recent Switch sale so I suppose I'll do it at some point

22. wurst

wurst GONK QUEEN

@Diddy Ni No Kuni was quite fun, and well worth a play if you like JRPG's as it looks beautiful. The town Cocknose comes from is a total treat in particular. (Similarly Ni No Kuni 2 has some of the most beautiful towns I've ever seen in an RPG).

The battle system is VERY flawed though, and towards the end boils down to essentially spamming the same spell over and over :D
    I believe on original release it was REALLY HARD and grind-y, but the HD re-release added in some overpowered creatures that are easy for your party to access after a certain point in the game, so I never really struggled and beat it without too much sweat (how I prefer to play my games :D)

The characters are all a bit BASIC and one dimensional, right down to their character designs - but not so much that it's game destroying, and there is a little bit of development about half way through onwards.

Deffo worth playing if you like the genre!

Diddy and KindaCool like this.
  23. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

I loved Ni No Kuni 2. Very cute. Loved kingdom building.

wurst likes this.
  24. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

A JRPG with a flawed battle system is a BROKEN GAME considering you spend upwards of 20/30 hours using it!

For the record I didn't think it was that broken, it was an interesting take on real-time Pokémon, but I don't think it was very successful at that. Points for trying though.

By far my biggest grievance with the game is how it was marketed as a GHIBLI GAME when, soundtrack aside, it had about TWO MINUTES of B-roll Ghibli cast-off sequences and none of the WHIMSY.

Diddy likes this.
  25. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

I’m on chapter 8 of this and while it’s enjoyable, some bits are just frustrating. It feels like it’s still holding my hand and forcing me to walk a certain direction and I just want them to let me play the game. Fighting is fun but super chaotic and some of the voice lines are really grating (opening the vault in the reactor drove made me so mad because I had to hear the same jokes over and over).

So yeah fun but flawed.