First UK Doctors strikes in 40 years

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by VoR, Jan 12, 2016.

?

It's funny because Jeremy Hunt rhymes with...

1. I support the Junior Doctors strike

97.1%
  2. I don't support the Junior Doctor's strike

2.9%
  1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I certainly didn't say you, I was just replying to Kala's post, so KEEP YOUR WIG ON, DEAR

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Sheena

This. I've been nothing to do with this "argument" and have just read the whole thread and the whole thing seems to be EXACTLY THIS to me.

3. That One

That One User

Of course it's true. Working shifts/weekends plays havoc with any sort of private life. But that applies to everyone who works shifts or weekends, not just doctors surely?

4. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

So what's your opinion That One? You've asked the questions and read the documents, I'm curious about what you think (I'm asking as a none Brit who is not involved).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  5. Sheena

But then isn't the argument here that doctors work 72 hours weeks...so aren't getting DAYS OFF AT ALL, whereas people working behind a desk in a hotel still (if laws apply correctly) should be having a couple of days off a week?

6. That One

That One User

I've repeatedly stated that the ONLY thing I'm questioning is why doctors are anymore entitled to unsocial hours pay than anyone else. I have NOT stated nor do I believe, that doctors should take a pay cut. I have repeatedly stated that of course doctors should get paid a lot more than most professions. What have I said that leads you to believe otherwise?

7. That One

That One User

I've repeatedly been accused of saying things I haven't in this thread so sorry for trying to clarify.

8. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Either you don't think Doctors deserve extra pay for unsocial hours, in which case just come out and say it, or you believe everyone does. If it's the latter, that still doesn't explain why you should be so confused by the Doctor you saw on TV being angry at the prospect of losing it - far from it! As Tetris pointed out, saying "I don't get it so why should they?" is resentful and unconstructive. Why not campaign for better working conditions in your own industry if it bugs you so much?

9. That One

That One User

My opinion on what? I think doctors are a bit rich to be trying to claim working weekends means they can't have have a family life when millions of other people work weekends and don't get any extra pay for it. That's it. That's my hugely controversial opinion that means I hate doctors and want them all put to death and buried under a giant statue of Thatcher made out of gold.

10. That One

That One User

Again, you're just making things up that I have never said.

I get paid very well for the job I do, and I do not think I should get unsocial hours payments for the nights or weekends I work. Where have I said otherwise?

If doctors think that working weekends prevents them from having a family life, then that applies to everyone equally right?

11. That One

That One User

But them working excessive hours is a completely seperate issue? :confused: Surely if you work more than your contracted hours you get paid a higher rate?

12. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

YES IT DOES AND NOBODY IS DENYING THAT.

Doctors are fighting for what THEY want as part of THEIR job role. They're not going to come out and fight for every weekend worker in the country are they? :D

13. That One

That One User

There must be something in the air here that is making people imagine I said something I didn't. Where ON EARTH am I supposed to have said that doctors should be fighting on behalf of every weekend worker??

14. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

So WHAT'S YOUR FUCKING POINT?

Jesus Christ, it's like arguing with the SPEAKING CLOCK.

If it applies to everyone, then everyone deserves extra pay for unsociable hours. Or nobody does. Which do you think it is?

Maybe the reason you keep getting accused of "saying things I never said" is because you refuse to express a direct opinion!

15. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

You keep bringing up "other weekend workers" in ALL YOUR POSTS. What has that got to do with the doctors, really? They want the same extra pay for working weekends as they do now. That's part of what they're fighting for. It has nothing to do with whether anybody in any other weekend profession gets paid for weekend work. You're the one bringing it up? :D

If EVERYONE says you're dead, it's time to lie down.

16. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

17. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

I did hear the bloke on the radio that That One is referring to and I think his comments were deliberately chosen by the BBC to provoke this sort of reaction - yet more of the pro-Tory bias that they infuriatingly seem to have developed since the last election. Obviously when you actually bother to look into it you discover there is a lot more to the strikes than that one aspect.

18. Sheena

Not when you've been banging on CONSTANTLY about the man who was on tv saying he couldn't have a family life.

19. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

If you signed a contract saying you could earn up to 80% on top of your salary for working weekends and then they tried to CHANGE THAT CONTRACT would you really lie back and say "oh well, the people in Primark have to work weekends for the same pay :)" without a fight? As if!

20. That One

That One User

You're COMPLETELY misunderstanding what I'm saying. I just asked a simple.fucking.question - why do Doctors deserve unsocial hours payments when no one else gets them?

I didn't say Doctors should get paid less.

I didn't say they should go on strike for Primark workers.

If they get a 50% pay rise then whoopy fucking do, well deserved.

I simply asked why they are entitled to payment SPECIFICALLY for working weekends.

I didn't say they deserved less money

I asked about *one* *tiny* *point* and from this people have extrapolated that I think doctors should be hunted down like animals and killed.

Christ!

21. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

Where did we say you think doctors should be hunted down and killed? Nobody said that! :)

22. Sheena

BRING BACK THE BANNING GAME :D

23. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

And to answer your question maybe because being a doctor is a fucking shitty job and at one point the NHS deemed them worthy enough to get extra pay for giving up their weekends? And no I don't know why nobody else working weekends doesn't get extra pay!!!!

24. That One

That One User

So other people are allowed to make up things I haven't said, but I'm not allowed to do the same?

25. That One

That One User

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already answered this point REPEATEDLY. Fair enough if you don't agree, but it's ridiculous to keep asking the same thing when I've already answered.

26. That One

That One User

No need to fucking bother.

27. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

Maybe people were just reading inferences in your posts in the exact same way?

28. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

But you're just answering the question with the SAME QUESTION!

I'm out. No wonder you call Agnetha mentally ill, anybody would be after a debate with you :D

29. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

OK, in answer to your question, an answer you've been repeatedly given, docotrs deserve those payments because they go home with blood on their hands, images of dying children burned in their memories and the screams of greiving relatives echoing around their minds. They don't apologise for faulty corby trouser presses.

If you can't appreciate that then you're a callous bastard.

30. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

We have answered this question time and time again. You just don't seem to be grasping it.

Everybody probably does deserve more pay for working shitty hours than standard ones. Doctors get it, hotel receptionists don't. But that's NOT THE DOCTORS' FUCKING FAULT AND NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS STRIKE.

If you want to continue this debate you need to actually HAVE AN OPINION. Which based on your comments so far is either "I deserve extra pay for antisocial hours, just like a doctor". Or "I don't deserve extra pay for antisocial hours, and neither do doctors because as shit as their jobs are, they already earn more than me".

Either of those opinions is FINE if you want to express it. But you keep insisting on going round in fucking circles. WHICH IS IT?

If it's the former, that's fine. You probably do. But the doctors are taking industrial action specific to THEIR INDUSTRY, not every worker ever. So it's kind of irrelevant. If it's something you believe strongly, join a union, speak to your employer, form the million fucking receptionists march. But what's the sense in taking it out on the doctors (Which I KNOW you're not doing directly but you're being so fucking OBLIQUE you might as well be!)

If it's B, most people in this thread obviously don't agree, but at least that's your opinion and we can agree to disagree.

31. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Its the most pointless discussion I've seen on Moopy in like, FOREVER

32. Ag

Ag User

It's like a three page migraine.

33. Indie

Indie REMAIN INDOORS

I blame Dr. Fox

34. Ag

Ag User

Doctor Foster wouldn't stand for this shit.

35. Ag

Ag User

Oh dear.

36. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I had to lol at that. Someones not getting a 6:50 wakeup call tomorrow.

37. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

*That One pops champagne from beyond the grave*

38. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Anyone would think they were trying to GRIND THE WHOLE THING DOWN and then 'RESCUE' it with a lovely PRIVATIZATION

PERISH THE THOUGHT

39. Indie

Indie REMAIN INDOORS

Doesn't seem likely.

40. ButterTart

ButterTart waiting and wondering about you

Slightly OT, but has That One still not resurfaced yet? Chased out of town just because he thinks doctors are scum who deserve to starve, poor sod.