France

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Kalabaliken, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I realise this is UTTERLY ridiculous but apart from a few days in Monaco, when I was there for a work conference about 12 years ago and I only had about two hours free to go for a walk in Monte Carlo, and flying into Nice airport to get there, I have NEVER been to France. :french:

I've decided that I will rectify this by spending two weeks in late Aug/early Sep in France and I would like some tips of places to go and things to do. I obviously want to include Paris in this, but I'd welcome some suggestions for where to stay there, and also for the rest of the country.

Merci beaucoup! :french:

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I love France. But I always go to little tiny places generally, mostly down South. I'm not sure it's what you're looking for...

3. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I'd suggest skipping past and going to Spain :)

4. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

oh wow fuck you

5. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

At least I can go to France :P

On a serious note, France is fine, but just not my cup of tea. Villages in the south do sound interesting though.

6. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I love the south coast around Nice - anywhere along the stretch from Saint Tropez to Menton on the Italian border is gorgeous.

7. ButterTart

ButterTart Welcome to die

Barring a run in with an unholy BITCH at a French service station, my experiences have been uniformly positive. Paris is lovely, and the people are nowhere near how people would have them be. I found that as long as I attempted to speak to them in French, they were happy to finish the conversation in English.

Also, I've always wanted to visit Lyon after going through it on a coach a couple of times, but I've had French people tell me it's quite rough. Has anyone been who can confirm/deny this?

8. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I always wanted to visit La Rochelle after falling in love with the name thanks to Tricolore. And Cherbough to see the parapluies, but my Belgian friend says its more of a dump than Port Talbot.

9. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't mind visiting the south. It can't be worse than Paris.

10. Dark Carnival

Seriously, I don't like the south, specially not the Côte d'Azur :zombie:

11. big ron

big ron MOD

OLD THREAD BUMP.

I've found myself with a night spare in LYON on Wednesday. Any suggestions on what to do for an evening? Nice castles, restaurants, piss dungeons?

12. Dark Carnival

If you're there for one night then I suggest you walk around the old city centre (Le vieux Lyon) and La Croix Rousse neighbourhood. Definitely try eating at a bouchon (restaurants serving typical Lyon cuisine). I recommend Notre Maison (2 Rue de Gadagne), excellent place. There are a lot of bars and cafes along the Rhone and Saône docks and at La Croix Rousse.

13. big ron

big ron MOD

Lovely, ta. I'm right in the 2nd arrondissement so looks like it'll be easy to go for a little potter around.

14. Suedey

Suedey PROUD MADAME X FAN

Lyon is the gastronomical capital of France, so plenty of good eats. I enjoyed just going on lovely riverside walks oh yeah and also the funicular is fun!