Gaga's updated US album/single sales

Discussion in 'Lady Gaga' started by POP!, Mar 30, 2014.

1. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Billboard:

Updated US sales history:

Albums

4,572,000 "The Fame" (2008)
    1,585,000, "The Fame Monster" (EP) (2010)
    308,000, "The Remix" (2010)
    2,326,000, "Born This Way" (2011)
    60,000, "Born This Way: The Remix" (2011)
    42,000, "A Very Gaga Holiday" (EP) (2011)
    679,000, "ARTPOP" (2013)

Singles

7,092,000, "Poker Face" (the seventh-best-selling download all time)
    6,891,000, "Just Dance" (feat. Colby O'Donis)
    5,485,000, "Bad Romance"
    3,987,000, "Born This Way"
    3,434,000, "Paparazzi"
    3,328,000, "Telephone" (feat. Beyonce)
    2,860,000, "The Edge of Glory"
    2,584,000, "LoveGame"
    2,505,000, "Alejandro"
    2,413,000, "Applause"
    2,232,000, "You and I"
    1,112,000, "Do What U Want" (feat. R. Kelly)

2. POP!

I keep forgetting "Love Game" actually sold that much- it was always regarded as a bit of an under-performer back then relative to the iconic hits that were released those first couple years.

I wonder how much "Marry the Night" and "Judas" sold. They must be nearing 1m.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. Jark

Jark User

Shocking numbers for DWUW really. It's much too good to have sold so little.

4. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

More shocked at Applause. I knew it was a slow-burning hit but that figure seems low for a song that charted for a good few months!

5. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Definitely. I thought it had sold at least twice that amount. Quite terrible for a single that got great airplay and several TV performances, despite lacking a video.

6. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Was Applause's lengthy top ten run more to do with video streams than actual purchases?

7. Daniel

Daniel User

Applause benefited greatly from radio support and the positive audience reception across different formats, especially later on its chart run when urban stations begun getting behind it and KIIS FM put the song on power rotation; it's her fifth biggest hit in the US according to Billboard despite only being her tenth biggest digital seller.

As for Do What U Want, it peaked at #13 and was pulled from radio in January (despite promising early support); platinum is a decent result when the song never really got the spark it needed from any of the three big performances in the US, and it became clear it needed a video if it had any chance of going to the next level.

Sure, it underlines how slow the Gaga train has become in terms of generating effortless hits since Born This Way, but they are not bad results in and of itself.

8. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I feel kinda bad for her. I thought The Fame Monster sold considerably better than that figure.

Did Artpop sell much more internationally?

9. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

That's just The Fame Monster EP. I think most people bought the The Fame/The Fame Monster edition. I assume that is the The Fame number.

10. Loufoque

As much as I love Born This Way (song), it really killed her career. :(

11. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Applause's chart run is very good then given it didn't sell *that* much. Like it didn't do badly at all - 2 and a half million is pretty damn fine - but didn't it do like 15 weeks top ten or something?

12. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

My friend at work was saying something similar. Something about minimizing her audience and dehumanizing gays.

13. Devil

Devil I Need A House

It was just that step too far into the pink pound. And as the lead/comeback single it is a bit odd to do that.

Obvi the gays loved her beforehand, but she really was the first popstar in decades that had built up such a mammoth reputation and was seen overall as pretty cool - even the straights thought it was okay to like tunes like 'Bad Romance',' Telephone', 'Pokerface' etc. So to have such a gay-interest comeback was a decision that, whilst admirable (if you enjoy the song and message), was a very strange move.

14. POP!

Yes. I'm pretty sure The Fame sold another two million or so, at least, after it was re-packaged as The Fame/The Fame Monster package. I'm think they stopped pressing the original The Fame after The Fame Monster came out.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  15. POP!

I'm pretty sure anything that was released at that point, as the lead single of her second album proper, would've sold that amount (or more). It just turned her into a pop niche artist.

16. Loufoque

The Edge of Glory really would have been the better choice for the comeback single :(

17. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

She really did botch it up didn't she? I feel like it was a simple case of over-excitement where the vision is just too big for its artist.

18. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I don't think it has much to do with the message behind the song. Born This Way is a painfully average song compared to the mega hits that came before.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oooh there ain't no other way.

20. Satan

Yeah, "Born This Way" (the song) began pushing her into the niche corner with the whole gay messiah complex. Artpop's Goddess of Love personality basically cemented that status.

21. Jark

Jark User

What is a pop niche artist?

I disagree. There are other examples of big popstars coming back and flopping when the song wasn't good enough. People don't part with their money for a song they don't actually like. And 4 million of them certainly don't. It's a fantastic song that did deservedly well. I think the tide of opinion turned because of the imagery (those facial horns etc) and the excessive hype, plus the Judas fiasco and the public's appetite for tearing down superstars of pop culture.

22. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

serves her right, it's one of the worst songs EVER (along with Headlines (Friendship Never Ends))

23. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

As much as I cannot STAND this cunt, I quite like Born This Way. It was Judas where the wheels came completely off for me and I didn't give a FUCK anymore.

24. Satan

I don't get the people who fall back on chart stats to support the choice of "Born This Way" as a single. Like POP! said, ANYTHING she released at that point would have been a big hit. Sometimes people do part with their money for something they don't actually like that much. It's called HYPE. It was a disastrous single choice as far as her (chart) career is concerned. Failing to grab the #1 spot in the UK was the first sign. It was expected to, even with the odd release date.

25. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Exactly. 'Hold It Against Me' was a US #1 and peaked very well pretty much everywhere. However it is probably one of the (if not the) biggest causes of Britney no longer being a chart-stormer.

'Born This Way' charted perfectly well but I think, for a range of reasons - including 'Judas' following, though it's failure was in part potentially due to 'Born This Way' - it was a mis-step that caused her chart decline.

26. Suedey

Suedey #WorldChorusDay2020

Poor "Judas".

27. Satan

Damn right. An 11/10 song, with a 13/10 video, ruined by a diabolical previous single and some Easter controversy. Poor "Judas" indeed.

28. POP!

"Judas" is still my favorite single from the whole campaign. I think the "It sounded too much like 'Bad Romance'" suggestions as to why it flopped are over-egged too. The similarities are undeniable, of course, but that hasn't stopped pop radio, the public from biting before (whether it be from Gaga or any other current pop act). I mean her first two hits were near-identical, for starters...

Personally, I just agree with the sentiment that it was too much too fast and the public just liked "Edge of Glory" more and the timing was a bit off so quickly after "Born This Way" to launch another major single.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  29. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

Judas 11/10

but that's JUST ME

30. POP!

You're not alone, Pipo!

I'll BRING HIM DOWN
    BRING HIM DOWN DOWN
    :disco:

31. Tramell

Tramell Amen Fashion

I think Judas was simply too aggressive (except the chorus) to really connect with radios or the GP.
    The way she "shouts" the verses and the distorted "ah-ah-oh-ah-ah-aaaah" (pre-chorus) were never going to appeal to the masses, it probably made a few ears BLEED.
    The production on Bad Romance was much smoother.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  32. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I've done my Judas rant many times before but SERIOUSLY? It's fucking DREADFUL.

Born This Way was a big error of judgement but she could have survived it. Judas was the moment the wheels REALLY came off the Gaga express.

33. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

"Judas" is FABULOUS

34. Suedey

Suedey #WorldChorusDay2020

I'm just a holy FOOL
    (JUST a HOLY FOOWAAOOOO-OOOHHHL)
    WAOOOOOOOOH
    I'm in love with JUDAS

Sorry but it remains a solid 11/10 and don't you FORGET IT

35. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

Judas remains amazing .

36. Satan

I've just noticed that Judas has more YouTube views than Born This Way. :disco:
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one put off by the whole "This is the manifesto of Mother Monster" crap.

Oh, and I've only realized now that Daryl of The Walking Dead fame plays Judas! :D One more reason to love it!

37. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

That, that is what killed her career.

38. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

The flopping is real