General Election 2010 Day/Night and Aftermath Discussion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Indie, May 6, 2010.

1. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Hello, and welcome to the official ramblings thread of the 2010 General Election

I have only one thing to say:

Do the right thing!

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

More's the issue, use your democratic right and VOTE (for anyone except the Tories)

3. Ryan

Ryan User

Will be voting after work. I feel strangely excited/nervous about this election and will be GLUED to tonight's coverage. Please don't let me wake up with a Tory government tomorrow.

4. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Yes everyone please VOTE (but not for the Tories)

You should vote for WHOEVER YOU LIKE (except for David Cameron)

Feel free to LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD (unless you're a right wing capitalist bigot)

Make sure you MAKE A DIFFERENCE (unless it's to put Conservatives in power)

remember, the decision is yours! :disco:

5. dUb

dUb IFFY

I voted on a Facebook poll asking 'Who do you want to be Prime Minster?' and pressed David Cameron by mistake. Is this coming up in anyone's feeds? :gross:

6. funky

funky INCAPABLE

7. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I want that green woman to be prime minister in a super-coalition government.

8. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Is Esther Rantzen winning yet?

9. funky

funky INCAPABLE

the number of people on facebook who still don't know who they're voting for as of TODAY is slightly worrying...

10. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I know that the final seat isn't declared until something like 11am next June but when is the result usually widely known? I'm wondering how much Red Bull to get in :D

11. funky

funky INCAPABLE

the exit polls come just after 10pm

If there is going to be a Tory government they'll probably call it then

if there's no clear answer by that point, which is most likely, we're probably headed for a hung parliament

12. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I stood in a great big squelchy dog poo on the way to work today. I can't help but worry it's a PORTENT OF DOOM.

Still, I'll be voting on the way home from work. Still a bit disappointed I haven't had the Tories on the doorstep this year so I could give them a piece of my mind.

13. delirium

I've just had the most ridiculous conversation with my sister. I know this is a terrible thing to write but I am genuinely shocked and even a little ashamed of what she was saying. It COMPLETELY worries me about how your environment (specifically people who live in places of genuine poverty) can change the way you think.

I'm starting to get afraid of tomorrow's result. I was thinking that while the Conservatives will probably get in, at least the system will get a slap around the face and we'll wake up to a new way of doing things. Now I am thinking that everything will be the same old shit :(

14. David

David Misanthropic Old Bastard

I was at the polling station before it opened. I got picked on by a Tory.

15. Win_the_game

Win_the_game User

Did anyone hear that Nigel Farage was in a plane crash after an election banner got tangled in the plane?

Apparently he's ok but I thought you weren't allowed to campaign on election day.

16. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

He didn't even have the decency to be killed? That isn't right. :(

17. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

Well, that's going to WIN THEM THE VOTES, isn't it?

What did your sister say, Delirium?

I've been out doing some delivering today but really had to tear myself away because it makes me a terribly irresponsible student if I spend my whole day there.

18. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I stayed at cwej's last night and went with him whilst he voted. The difference between his polling station in Poplar and Limehouse and mine in Central Ealing & Acton was hilarious. In Poplar, there were so many campaigners out in force and lots of them were very young. At mine, in a sleepy church hall, their was a Lib Dem rep and a Tory rep, both sitting down, both almost asleep and both over 70! :D

19. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Oh and cwej had to tell me not to kick off at one of the Tory campaigners. AS IF I WOULD.

20. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I hope there's no queue tonight :Oi:

my facebook wall is filled with left wing propaganda. My friend count is probably deteriorating as we speak :(

21. delirium

I really don't want to go into specifics but basically she was saying that immigration needed to be controlled, that it was out of hand and that it leads to places being shitty to live in.

The thing is, she's a well-educated person who used to be very open-minded. But she moved out from a big city, back to our home-town and it's a complete shit-hole. It really is. Yesterday I drove past someone's house whose front door had a broken window and they just left it like that. I'm not sure if they don't care or don't have the money to fix it. You know when you see places and you genuinely can't imagine how people would ever 'make it' without leaving? That's here.

I can see the correlation between poverty, rubbish on the streets, etc and non-English people, but I was genuinely absolutely gobsmacked that she didn't take into account any other factors. As if cutting back on immigration would suddenly lead to the streets being paced with gold and everyone running round with smiles on their faces and cash flowing out of their wallets.

Her response to me looking at her shocked and saying "I've never heard you say anything so racist" was "you don't live here, you don't know what it's like". To which my response was "just because you surround yourself with ignorant people who don't know any better, doesn't mean you have to become just like them". Then the shouting started :D

That's what I mean about people's environment dictating their beliefs. And the scary thing is that yesterday The Independent had an article about the election being decided by the votes along the M62 corridor (because of the amount of swing seats). The M62 is about 10 miles away.

OH NOES :(

22. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Deliribum, send her the link on my wall that my Auntie sent me about immigration. It's very telling.

23. delirium

Oh thanks Funky. But please can you change your name on Facebook to Funky so I don't make the same mistake again.

Many thanks in advance.

M

24. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I have given up on the bigger picture (TOO DEPRESSING) and am just going to try and care about whether Double Academy Award Winner Glenda Jackson is safe once more. I think she should be ok.

25. Tetris-Rock

Are you hoping Gemma Arterton will run at the next election, TP? I have a feeling you might actually MOVE CONSTITUENCY so you could vote for her.

26. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I would move to wherever necessary to allow me to vote for Dannii Minogue.

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

God help us all if Kate Winslet ever decides to stand for public office.

28. TurnerPrize

I'm still hoping for Julie Christie as the first Lib Dem prime minister.

Edit: Although the old witch would probably run for the Respect party.

29. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Oh I do HOPE SO, but I'm FAR FROM CERTAIN. It would be a BLACK DAY INDEED. I'm surprised she's even UP for another TERM. I didn't realise she was *whispers* SEVENTY THREE

30. nink in the sink

nink in the sink Going Blank Again

Don't forget the exit polls called a hung parliment in '92 :(

31. Tetris-Rock

:o I had no idea she was that old! By the time the next election rolls around she'll be PUSHING EIGHTY.

32. TurnerPrize

Oh we've got an 85 year old lady neighbour who still chops wood and climbs a ladder to do the guttering. Running the country's a doddle.

She's a MASSIVE CUNT though.

33. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Or possibly seventy-three and two months. :basil:

34. funky

funky INCAPABLE

My mum is down this weekend, I haven't seen her in 5 months. I just sent a text saying "if you voted for Tory, don't bother getting on a train tomorrow. Love you lots xx"

I feel a bit guilty now :(

35. TurnerPrize

WHY?

Don't feel guilty until you've locked your front door and told her to shit off through the windows. And even then you'll be IN THE RIGHT.

36. funky

funky INCAPABLE

aww but she's an amazing mum :( she just married a TORY WIMP

37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

My mum was trying to recruit me last night, saying i HAVE to read this article in the Mail

I put on my best disinterest face and closed the 'newspaper'

38. delirium

:D WORST SON EVER

(but best actual human being)

39. funky

funky INCAPABLE

she just replied:

"whatever happened to democratic freedom, would you feel the same if I was a vegetarian protestant lesbian who supported Liverpool FC? I don't discuss politics anyway, it's personal"

OMG SHE DID VOTE TORY

woe :(

40. Indie

Indie Great Tits

It's amazing how much the newspapers show their true colours at election time.

I could point out a billion news articles from the daily fail or torygraph and how laughable they are