General Election 2010 Day/Night and Aftermath Discussion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Indie, May 6, 2010.

1. rural juror

rural juror User

As a backbencher though you can take on other roles, I'd assumed that was his plan

2. Eddie

Eddie User

How could you have missed that? It was the ONLY Clegg soundbite they used from the TV debates.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. Eddie

Eddie User

A recent tweet from Alastair Campbell:

4. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

UGH! Bill fucking Cash can CUNT OFF!

5. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

William Hague the new Foreign Secretary. Can't imagine Hillary SWOONING over him like Miliband.

6. Mikey

Mikey User

BBC are saying William Hague will be the Foreign Secretary and the Conservatives might have an agreement that they'll make some sort of change to help the lowest earners but not the full £10k threshold the Lib Dems have proposed.

I'm not quite sure what the Lib Dems have actually negiotated in their (or the nation's) interest!

7. Eddie

Eddie User

Well he had better not make more gaffes like his "our elected Prime Minister" line earlier today.

8. rural juror

rural juror User

Paddy Ashdown for defence accoridng to Sky

9. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Poor Sarah Teather

10. rural juror

rural juror User

indeed :(

11. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock one of those "they/thems"

Thought he might. Just because he made a big speech about supporting and "never deserting" the people of Fife when he won his seat so it would seem a bit insulting to them just to stand down completely now.

Keeping George Osborne in as chancellor even though many supporters of his own party prefer Ken Clarke seems ludicrous. I know why Dave would want to stick by him but when you've got Ken and Vince Cable there, you might have some re-considering to do...

12. Madison

I'm guessing David Laws will get Education and Vince Cable will get the second highest position at the treasury (or third highest if you count the PM).

13. Tetris-Rock

Is Clegg only getting Deputy Prime Minister as opposed to Home Secretary then?

Deputy Prime Ministers don't do anything!

14. Madison

I was trying to work out why the BBC are going overboard about it.

I'm guessing he will be both Deputy PM and Home Secretary.

15. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

In other news Harriet Harman is currently the acting opposition leader.

16. rural juror

rural juror User

Andrew Lansley for health... again according to sky

17. rural juror

rural juror User

and sky were wrong on defence :D

18. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

OH they are SO OVA in Scotland. I wouldn't even BOTHER campaigning.

As someone who has voted Lib Dem in Scottish and Council Elections in the past, I will NEVER EVER make that mistake again.

So much for being the "REAL ALTERNATIVE", what a fucking SELL OUT Nick Clegg has been shown up to be.

19. Kitty Kat

Kitty Kat User

Lansley is shit.

20. Tetris-Rock

Let's hope the Labour leadership contest gets started SWIFTLY then.

I can't BRING myself to vote for Scottish Labour though. There are some decent folks in the party down South (like Alan Johnson, for example) but Scottish Labour are almost entirely abhorrent.

21. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

I can't believe I'm saying this but the SNP have become a particularly attractive option over the past few days. :(

22. Madison

I wonder who will be Olympics Minister. The nearest non-Labour MP is Ian Duncan Smith over in Chingford.

23. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

I'm already looking forward to when Parliament reopens...

24. rural juror

rural juror User

as a non political role, and in the spirit of coalition, they COULD ask Tessa to stay on

25. Madison

Actually, come to think of it, Tessa Jowell's seat isn't in the north east of London either.

COME ON SARAH TEATHER

26. SuGaR

SuGaR User

Anne McLaughlin, Scottish National Party MSP for Glasgow:

"Sick as a parrot is how I feel right now. Any minute now I understand it will be announced that the Labour Party has given up and allowed the Lib Dems to enter into coalition government with the Tories. We are about to start life in Tory Britain and I feel sick to my stomach because I know that the most vulnerable people in all of our countries will be ignored at best and castigated at worst. Labour had started down that route in their treatment of those in receipt of sickness and disability benefits but wait till you see what happens in Tory Britain."

http://indygalgoestoholyrood.blogspot.com/2010/05/sick-as-parrot.html

David Cairns, Labour MP for Inverclyde:

"Kevin Maguire discussing Kylie Minogue's bottom on GMTV"

"Radio 1 night on BBC2 - thats me sorted. Someone let me know if we get a new government."

http://twitter.com/davidcairns4mp

27. Zodiac

Zodiac Registered Ulser

I'm not sure I full understand the angry Lib Dem dissenters.

Firstly, there seems to be a general assumption that the Lib Dems were responsible for the failure of the Lib-Lab talks. Given that many high-profile Labour figures spent today expressing their opposition to such a deal I wouldn't be quite so sure that was the case. Indeed, it seems most likely that the majority of Labour MPs knew it was a non-starter despite what some are now proclaiming. The plain fact of the matter is that such a deal was always unlikely to be workable. With this being the case only two options remained - to do a deal with the Tories or let them rule as a minority. Being in a coalition means you get your policies heard, and it has already become apparent that the Lib Dems have won concessions from the Conservatives, some of which will benefit those on the bottom rung of society. This simply wouldn't have happened if the Lib Dems were left sitting on the sidelines. Indeed, a Tory minority government would probably have meant a return to the polls in a few months time where the Tories would likely have won a majority. What exactly do people think the party ought to have done?

And I would repeat again that majority governments are never healthy for democracy. So far as that goes I welcome the fact that there looks to be a stable coalition in place. Yes, it would be better if the Conservatives weren't in office at all but this is, quite frankly, a better outcome than anyone had any right to expect.

28. Tetris-Rock

This is the thing, I don't disagree with all SNP policy. They've had some decent stuff through since winning the Scottish elections, like the graduate endowment fee scrapping and all of that. I just hate Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon and am very much against the idea of independence.

I wouldn't hate the Tories down south as much if they had the QUITE HILARIOUS dykebot Annabel Goldie as the Prime Minister. She's always good value.

29. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

+1

30. win_the_game

win_the_game User

Oh I loved Sturgeon getting a grilling off that binman a few weeks ago (even though he was totally in the wrong). As for Annabel, she really is the only semi-likable Tory. I love it when she rants on about her "bread and butter issues".

And why not vote Green? I do on my 2nd vote and where we live, they actually win seats.

31. Tetris-Rock

I was definitely going Green on the list vote if I vote in Edinburgh because I know Robin Harper is in here at the moment, and even though he's stepping down next year, it's a good sign that the Greens have a chance here.

My home region is "South of Scotland." I'm more confused as to how they'd fare there. Apparently the Greens lost their MSP down there at the last election. :(

32. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I'm with Zodiac!

33. Mikey

Mikey User

Zodiac is SPOT ON. On the Lib-Lab talks front, Diane Abbott was on the BBC earlier and was quite quick to point out that it was unelected people, namechecking Lords Mandelson & Adonis, who were the driving force behind negotiations. Whilst the majority of Labour MPs knew that it wasn't the best thing for the party and would be better to back out and be the opposition. As Zodiac said, that leaves the Lib Dems with only one real option for providing a stable government that is in the interest of the public and can at least attempt to get to work quickly on the important economic issues.

34. Sild

Sild New balls please

Five Lib Dem cabinet members in total according to the BBC, including Clegg as Deputy PM.

35. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

Deputy PM is such a NON post it was only created to keep Helseltine happy in the Major government. Surprised with that, especially if it's without portfolio.

36. Tetris-Rock

Out of 26? That's shite! Especially considering, as i've said before, Deputy Prime Ministers don't really do anything.

37. Sild

Sild New balls please

Given the amount of seats they won I'm not sure we could have expected much more.

38. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I don't know about that. If someone has the good sense to top Cameron, then we could end up with Clegg as PM.

39. Mikey

Mikey User

Current rumours:

Liam Fox = Defence
    Chris Huhne = Home Secretary
    Fixed term Government deal is for 5 years (not the four earlier rumoured)

40. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Oh I DON'T KNOW

I heard they were RELATED

Talk about the ESTABLISHMENT

I don't know, I go out for the evening for ONCE IN A BLUE MOON and THIS HAPPENS :manson: