George Floyd and the police brutality debate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Rhythmbarbican, May 29, 2020.

1. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

So this has exploded over in the states and the video is spreading like wildfire around the world. What a grim, sad story. #icantbreathe is also trending, some of his final words. :(

2. vespertine

vespertine In the name of love

I watched the video and realized I won't be able to watch the next one, I can't consume any more black death. They tortured and killed him right there in the street, he was laying there begging for air and his life, and it slipped away.

I can't imagine that this won't eventually end in mass uprising, and I don't think the American democracy will survive if Trump gets in for another 4 years.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  3. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Saw it yesterday and was just disgusted. Pretty difficult to watch, but I don’t like to get involved too much on social media.

Mostly why the hell have these (ex)officers not even been arrested yet? News said investigations were still ongoing. You don’t need all of that just to take them into custody in the first place. If you want to prevent or calm more civil unrest, fast-track this thing immediately.

I predicted this might happen as soon as I saw the video. Has no one learned anything since the Rodney King incident? Clearly not as it’s just been happening constantly ever since, just now it’s readily being recorded more often and they’re STILL getting away with it.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

The frequency of this kind of thing happening is just disheartening. It feels like not a week goes by without the police killing another black man or woman. And with the current government you just know nothing will be done (I mean nothing was done during the Obama era).

5. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

There was also this incident from a few days

The venom in which she says “I’ll call the police and tell them that an African American man is threatening me”

Jark likes this.
  6. Mats

Mats User

not a day goes by on reddit without a video of American police killing a black person trending. it's fucking awful and scary what kind of supremacist people they admit to their police and military forces

well, a police station in Minneapolis is on fire now and Trump's tactics are as tactless as ever...

COB likes this.
  7. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

And the follow-up, which is probably his worst tweet he has ever done.

What the fuck happens in November if he loses?

Soldi, COB and dUb like this.
  8. dUb

dUb THESE WORDS JUST COME OUT

This should go down well!

vespertine, Soldi, COB and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jark

Jark apocalypse

This stupid cunt thankfully lost her job AND her dog over this, which is probably for the best as she was literally CHOKING IT in the name of having her power play moment over a black man. She says she's very sorry. Yeah I bet you are BITCH! Truly a Karen for the ages.

POP!, COB and Ellie like this.
  10. Mats

Mats User

Trump backed civil unrest is a very like outcome as it seems right now. the way he's pitting himself against the state and city leaders who are holding the country he's running together with duct tape at this point is... despotic to say the least

11. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Wheres the debate? He was murdered.

12. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I've just watched the "I can't breath" video. Horrifying.

13. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

Part of me wants them to burn the whole fucking city to the ground, because under the bravura these white nationalist pigs are absolute cowards. But the chances of Trump retaliating with some off the scale massacre are so high the immense loss of life would be unbearable. It’s all so terrible.

14. COB

COB Pop it in here thanks

jivafox likes this.
  15. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Obviously is terrible, but some looters stole a TOY TRAIN

Jark, POP!, Gangsta Nancy Lam and 3 others like this.
  16. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

This is what makes the gaslighting so utterly insane.

The video is out there. I couldn't watch it but thousands - millions, probably - have seen it.
    In that video, George Floyd is murdered by an impassive police officer who clearly couldn't care less that he is killing Floyd.
    Yet, the mayor wants us to believe that there is "other evidence" that would somehow not support criminal charges.
    Pure gaslighting. Pure racism.
    All of it persistently stoked and even delivered by Trump.

I find it near impossible to articulate how angry this makes me but I am also at a loss to work out how to do something positive that isn't just throwing a few quid at something.

Jark, jivafox, Ellie and 2 others like this.
  17. Ellie

Seriously some people are arrested and charged on the spot when just “under suspicion” of violating traffic laws. What the hell is the delay?

18. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Where's the original video? I can't find it.

EDIT: Found it.

19. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

These police officers never seem to get charged. If this one does, it'll only because its so high profile, and even then I'd be surprised.

20. Ellie

Indeed. I do try to be careful as sometimes there’s a fine line between ally and pseudo white saviour. Of course you can’t help but express outrage, but being thousands of miles away and with no actual platform to make a difference, what can the rest of the world say or do? I totally cringe at moronic retorts of “All Lives Matter” with a whole bunch of out of context graphs about interracial violence.

Charlize Theron is speaking up (as are others I’m sure), but she has a platform.

Logic? likes this.
  21. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

That's exactly it. How to properly support but do so from the back, amplifying voices rather than drowning them out?

22. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe #Zengaboys

Chilling.

23. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I've just seen this. Unbelievable and utterly provocative.

24. Ellie

THIS warrants an arrest? Honestly, our society is so broken I can’t comprehend it.

25. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Literally whining about Twitter while one of his cities burns. Remarkable.

26. Soldi

Soldi America’s Fun Aunt

I hope someone deletes his account AGAIN

Alla likes this.
  27. POP!

POP! TULSA JESUS FREAK

Right. I fail to see how using deadly force for suspected FORGERY (surely the most quintessential nonviolent crime) is anything but murder when there is no evidence he was resisting or an armed threat. I'd say it was manslaughter but surely nine to ten minutes of kneeing someone's neck is premeditated murder.

28. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

The police officer standing in the way of cameras is also premeditated.

29. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

No idea how much of this is true... outrageous if even just a couple of them are true.

30. COB

COB Pop it in here thanks

This Twitter thread is worth a look:

Dark Carnival and Ellie like this.
  31. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

The straw hat riot sounds reasonable.

COB likes this.
  32. cwej

cwej User

Didn't watch it for this very reason.

I mean... the EXACT CAMPAIGN has already happened with the EXACT SAME WORDS (the 'I Can't Breathe' - India.Arie wrote her song 'Breathe' about the exact same quote three years ago) and it's like the public just forget about it for years until the next high profile one happens.

It's so frustrating and I don't know what can be done about it now with Trump in power giving sympathy to white protestors but condemning black. Journalists reporting on it but being arrested in the street because we have such a divide between media and government now. It's just devastating. :(

33. Ellie

POP! likes this.
  34. POP!

POP! TULSA JESUS FREAK

He was charged with third-degree murder which is basically an act of indifference to human life without the explicit intent to kill. It's usually reserved for drug dealers who sell opioids and other narcotics that inadvertently kill their user. This is confusing to me because the officer should have never used force on a non-violent (suspected) criminal in the first place, let alone deadly force. It's basically like killing a prostitute for no reason. This is literally first degree murder. If he's convicted and not killed in prison he will absolutely get out with plenty of years of freedom. This sets an awful precedent even if it is better than no consequences at all.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Soldi likes this.
  35. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

36. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Is it though? There’s normally an extremely high barrier for first degree murder - premeditation, killing whilst raping etc.

EDIT: Here’s a good article on the charging decision.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  37. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

So the riots spread last night. You have to wonder how much it's a mix of racial tensions inflamed by lockdown/ economic crash.

38. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

39. POP!

POP! TULSA JESUS FREAK

My understanding is that a defendant can be charged with multiple variations of murder and manslaughter and the jury ultimately decides which charge, if any, fits the requisite intent. That's how it is in my local state (Michigan) and many other states but I'm not sure about Minnesota to be fair. Premeditation can develop over a long period of time or the course of a few moments during the act itself as that article puts it. The prosecution will have a difficult time prosecuting any law enforcement killing, but their closing statement is that grotesque nine minute video. I think reasonable minds could convict first degree murder - maybe not but I feel like it should be on the jury verdict form with the third degree charge if possible in Minnesota.

Logic? likes this.
  40. Logic?

Logic? User

Making assumptions but there a LOT of white folk in this thread...

This is not going to die down in America this is truly the beginning of something whether its for the better or worse we will see.

COB likes this.