GLASGOW 2016

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Mats, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mats

Mats User

I'm going to Glasgow next weekend (hi, Kala :eyes:) and instead of rotting up in Sauchiehall St the entire time I'd thought I'd look for a day trip out of Glasgow to see some icky nature. can any of our dear Glaswegians offer advice? mind you I won't have access to a car, so a place accessible by bus or train would be ideal. feel free to give other sorts of advice as well

BLESS YE, DARLINGS :scot:

2. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I've read somewhere that Katie's bar is supoosed to be the Berghain of Scotland.

3. Mats

Mats User

I know! can't wait to meet all the cuties of the evening there

4. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Why don't you hang about the Necropolis (Glasgow's PREMIERE graveyard). That way you can visit Drygate & St Luke's afterwards.

The third weekend of the month is always a bit rubbish, it's the one with no decent club nights on.
    Visit the Brunswick Hotel, Stereo, the Old Hairdressers, Chinaskis, Tabac, Kelvingrove Cafe & Underground for drinks.

For food the Hug & Pint, Paesano, Kimchi Cult and anywhere in Finnieston.

For nature trails etc you're probably better asking a LESBAIN like T-R.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I enjoyed Loch Lomond when I went but I would book a tour because to bus it round the lake is exhausting.

6. Eileen

How long are you in Glasgow for? There's quite a lot to see in Glasgow and the west of the city is lovely.

7. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

I think Mats deserves due warning that Finnieston is hipster central - expect beards, unwashed vegetables and your food to be served on a shovel etc.

I like Mono for food - vegan but always delicious. It's much nearer the town centre too. 13th Note is good for a decent ale.

8. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

The perception that Finnieston is some ridiculous Get In The Sea bait is so grossly over exaggerated. It's not like that at all unless you have zero joy in your life.

So many people get up in arms about it (GENTRIFICATION GONE MAD!!) but some of us just like amazing food & drink in lovely surroundings.

9. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

If you want some nature, maybe take the train out of Glasgow up to Fort William (and beyond to Mallaig - you cross the viaduct used in the Harry Potter films). Oban is a lovely port town that's worth seeing too. I took one of my favourite photos of all time there.

[​IMG]

10. octophone

I'm nearly 43, I remember what it was like before and it's not that wild an exaggeration. I think this gentrification thing is indeed a pile of wiffle, largely peddled by old neds who miss their old pub where they could pee in the corner and not get barred but it's a totally different area to what it was when I was hanging out there in the old Stereo, now the 78 and I find some of it's inhabitants a little baffling. But, like I say, I'm nearly 43. Maybe we all get baffled by youth culture when we get older.

11. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

oh and DO NOT MISS the Kelvingrove Gallery. Best building in a city far more full of beautiful buildings than it's given credit for.

12. octophone

Kelvingrove > GOMA

13. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Kelvingrove IS incredible.

Also they're doing an outdoor screening of ET next Saturday in the university grounds which will be pretty special.

14. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I think Mats would appreciate HOT MESS but it's this weekend.

15. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Mats will very much like that

16. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Obviously a Moopmeet is essential.

17. Lucille

Lucille User

I haven't lived in Glasgow in 8 years now, but even then Finneston was getting swish, which is hardly inconceivable when its so close to the west end and city centre. Honestly, the WEEGIES on my Facebook moaning about gentrification in their PALATIAL period homes, really do GRIND MY GEARS.

18. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

There was SIMILAR outrage over the Dennistoun cereal cafe and the Barras turning into an arts centre.

GGGG.

19. Mats

Mats User

well this is a lot to take in, thank ye all. I appreciate the warning, octy, that sounds like something that would give me a cancerous itch. I don't know what DC is on about, he might've mistaken my poor clothing for normcore

I'll be staying in the Kelvingrove end of Sauchiehall so will definitely be checking out the bits there. Friday night I'll do a bonanza of art school crap, I'm visiting a friend who's graduating

I did initially think about the train ride RB mentioned but I'd rather hike a bit somewhere

20. Mats

Mats User

I was hoping no one would mention this

21. Ag

Ag User

I adored Oban.

22. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Mats if you're up that end of town make sure you do the Art School (the bar) and CCA.

Oh and the Lighthouse which is directly across from Tabac/Panther Milk.

23. Mats

Mats User

I'm going to be travelling with more post-its than actual luggage

24. Eileen

Don't be fooled into going to Katie's Bar like what I did :(

I'm not sure where's good for hiking. When I went to Loch Lomond, I walked to it from the train station thinking it was going to a nice walk through the hills but most of it was on an A road :(

25. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

We assumed with all of your various voyages you just liked really rough places.

26. octophone

Saramago at the CCA is indeed a nice bar but I'd skip the restaurant down the stairs. And, yes, the new Art School bar is a fine, evenly priced hangout.

27. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

If you want a nice walk then do the Kelvin Way from the Transport Museum (European Museum of the Year 2008) and it snakes it's way through Glasgow up to Bearsden (I think). We always do it but just end up at Inn Deep and then getting ice cream in the Botanics.

Edit - tbh you probably don't want to go past the Botanics

Definitely do Kelvingrove Museum though - I cried at their Glasgow through the years display :( Inspiring.

28. Mats

Mats User

I now see my hotel's adjacent to Finnieston so I'll have a gander. who knows, I might miraculously grow a beard

I've been tempted to go to Glencoe but I doubt my friends are up for that. Oban would be too far for them too. WANKERS

29. Mats

Mats User

I think I've convinced to come with me to Isle of Arran. travel times are reasonable and the hike up Goatfell looks easy for an average person

30. Ag

Ag User

When I went from Glasgow, I went up by Loch Lomond and then to Oban. I also visited the Isle of Mull. I absolutely adored it all. Gagging to go back.

31. Mats

Mats User

just googled images of Isle of Skye and Portree. I'll have to come back as well

32. Mats

Mats User

I really need Scotland to join Scandinavia now!

33. Ag

Ag User

Yeah I regret not going to Isle of Skye.

I did see an eagle on the Isle of Mull which excited me no end. I think I need a fortnight in the Highlands and Islands alone.

34. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Oh yes, Arran is VERY doable.

35. Mats

Mats User

knowing my friends they'll probably feel OH SO MISERABLE come Saturday and will only want to hobble down to the nearest fish and chips. but then I shall just do it in my own glorious company :disco:

36. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I've never even been to Arran! It's meant to be really nice though. You need to get the train to Ardrossan and then get the ferry over. But there's SO much to do in Glasgow itself that you might not even have the time.

37. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I wish I could give some advice, but I've barely done anything outside of the city :shy:

38. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I misread that as anyone. :ken:

39. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Also true.

40. Mats

Mats User

10 quid for this! I'm used to free outdoor screenings. sounds nice though

Kimchi Cult looks DELISH, I will have to make time for that, and drinks at Kelvingrove Cafe which is just around the corner from my hotel. I love beer but it makes me bloat so :(