Glorious Kate Ryan's French Connection Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Pop' started by belgo, May 30, 2009.

1. belgo

belgo EUROFREAK

After the massive European success of 'Ella Elle L'a' Kate is back with a highly original interpretation of a French classic.

[​IMG]

Another France Gall song, this time she went with 'Babacar'. I've always loved this song, but I'm still looking forward to it getting the Kate Ryan treatment. :disco:

OU ES TU OU EST U?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/btcOZTwp1YY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/btcOZTwp1YY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

ALWAYS the INNOVATOR :D

3. MilkyBarKid

MilkyBarKid PARTY STEPS

I like it. The song sounds really familiar though I don't think I've ever heard it before. As long as Kate speeds it up a couple of notches I'll be happy.

4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

:D

Well, it's what she needs to do I suppose. Funny though, it's just so predictable! Have they tried releasing ORIGINAL French language songs with her? I don't get why they insist on releasing her original material in English when only her French songs are hits.

I've never heard this song before, but a Kate version is going to be amazing!

5. Stosh

Stosh Experimenting with rugs

What are the odds she'll release 'Joe le taxi' in 2010? :D

6. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

1-2

7. Tramell

Tramell Amen Fashion

One question springs to mind: how can she afford the rights of those classics????
    I mean, Mylène and France are probably not so cheap, right???

It must be strange for her to sustain a "career" singing lyrics she can't understand..

8. Alex

Alex Go fish

God it is rather similar to "Ella Elle L'a" really.
    I'm shocked she never released "Toute Première Fois" really if she was just going to do ANOTHER cover...

9. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

You don't pay anything for rights to record a cover version. Once a song has been released, anyone can rerecord it.

10. Tramell

Tramell Amen Fashion

Really????
    But for example I was sure you have to pay for sampling other songs...

Like Madonna had to pay Abba for using "Gimme gimme gimme" in "Hung up", right?

11. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

In the eyes of the law sampling is something else than a straight cover where you stick to the original song structure/lyrics.

Anyway, no great surprise, I was fairly sure another 'clubbed-up cover of a cultish and slightly cheesy 1984-1991 continental semi-hit en français' was going to be her next project after the Free album had been drained of most its hit potential. I had my money on a cover of "Ouragan" by Princess Stéphanie of Monaco myself though. That's her 2011 summer single (after the inevitable "Joe le taxi") settled then! :D

12. SDF

SDF Bigger Than Us, OUT NOW

Are we getting a new album already? :o

13. A*Teen

A*Teen ..................

If it's a true cover version, then no permission is needed. It's only when you start changing the lyrics, chord sequences, and melodies that you have to get permission.

Even then though, you don't have to 'pay' the original composer anything - they end up recieveing royalties from it anyway. So in the case of 'Hung Up', Warner would have been invoiced by the MCPS for all shipments of the single, and the money they paid MCPS would have been then paid in royalties shared out between Bocu Music (Benny and Bjorn's publishers), and the publishers of Stuart Price, who composed the non-sample element of the song. But yes, Madonna/Warner would have needed to get permission first because they're sampling someone else's song.

If it had have been a straight cover version of 'Gimme Gimme Gimme', then no permission would be needed. But 100% of the MCPS royalties would have gone straight to Bocu Music.

14. Sheena

There is a time limit, though- it used to be 10 years- before you can perform a cover version without permission...

15. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Really? What about all those opportunistic dance covers? Like the 'I Kissed A Girl' one that was actually really high on Itunes before Katy Perry released the original? I'm surprised Katy or her label would OK that...

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Also I'm guessing that rule came in after Cilla Black basically made a career out of stealing Dionne Warwick songs... :D

17. A*Teen

A*Teen ..................

That's not true.

There's a copyright term where if the composer has been deceased for 75 years or more, then you don't need to pay any royalties, or if it you're changing the music or lyrics, then you don't need to get permission.

Or then there's also the First Licence Referral - which is sometimes taken up by a composer (let's say for example Gary Barlow) when they first register a song (The Greatest Day) with MCPS. They'll put a hold on it which dictates to MCPS that they can't licence it out to anyone else, until the intended artist (Take That) releases their version first.

18. MilkyBarKid

MilkyBarKid PARTY STEPS

Kate performed this at G-A-Y last night. It's pretty much exactly what you expect. To be honest, I think I prefer the original. Kate's set didn't include 'J'tadore' but it did include 'Voyage Voyage' :disco:

19. belgo

belgo EUROFREAK

How many songs did she get to sing? More than Agnes last week then?

Anyway, here's a crappy quality video of last night's 'Babacar' performance.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hswc7PAss6g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hswc7PAss6g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Like MBK says, it's exactly what you'd expect. Another European #1 hit smash! :disco:

20. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Wanna lick my leaves...

Just heard the original...can't wait to hear Kate's version

21. Man in a Hamster Wheel

22. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Incidentally, could Star provide us with some statistics on how many Moopy referrals we've had so far through "kate ryan lesbian?"?

23. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

SEKS DRUGS EN ROCK N ROLL! :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Jake

Jake On A Mission

It seems like Kate likes to give us the gift of another French cover ever summer

I for one am grateful
    Thanks Kate

25. Stosh

Stosh Experimenting with rugs

Video preview

<object width="400" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACPzUJmxYS8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACPzUJmxYS8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  26. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

As much as I love QUEEN KATE I do have to inform her that Robyn called and she wants her haircut back.

27. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Babacar sounds AMAZING!

28. Jake

Jake On A Mission

If it means she stops doing covers (not that any of them have been anything but amazingness) just make her sing in French ALL THE TIME.

29. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Agreed.

30. Jake

Jake On A Mission

Her French isn't quite on it anyway. So everyone is quids in.

Either that or cover every song mentioned, release a covers album and be done with it.

31. Man in a Hamster Wheel

I can quite realistically see that becoming her next venture actually...

32. skizzo

skizzo User

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A0jb0i3-cUw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A0jb0i3-cUw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Full video.

33. Jake

Jake On A Mission

QUEEN OF CLASS

34. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I don't really like the song I have decided. :(

Good video though.

35. Jake

Jake On A Mission

My only problem with the video is that it is slightly 'X'' (Liberty X)

I love the idea of multiple lesbian Kate's though. She could cover every French song EVER in a matter of days

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  36. Man in a Hamster Wheel

That's the most popstarry she's looked in a video, even though it's obviously Airbrushville. I still reckon this could be her cover version too far though... Also, more money on Glam Goldylocks Kate, less money on two-years-after-P!nk/Robyn-faux-bulldyke-bandwagon-hopping Kate!

37. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

This is by far her weakest French cover IMO. It just isn't very catchy!

I like France Gall's version, it just doesn't suit the handbag dance update as much as the others did...

38. Jake

Jake On A Mission

Is it true she is going to go for Eurovision again next year?
    Would probably flog an album or two if she did.

39. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

I love this song! I can see it doing very well again. A Eurovision flop doesn't have to be the end of a career fortunately.

40. Sheena

She REALLY does look like a DISGUSTING lesbian now, they aren't even trying to HIDE IT