Glow [Netflix]

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Sharla, May 25, 2017.

1. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Coming in June, from the writer and producers of Weeds, Orange Is The New Black and Nurse Jackie.

Sent in 80s in the lesbian interest world of FEMALE WRESTLING it stars the always brilliant Alison Brie, and not Natalie Imbruglia. Betty Gilbin (Dr Roman from Nurse Jackie) is one of the supporting wrestlers along with actual wrestlers.

2. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

Kate Nash is in this, weirdly.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

This was cute, the start was a bit shaky and it was silly to try and convince us that Alison Bree is not pretty. The cast is good and unlike OITNB it's not an infinite number of women so they can slowly build each character which makes me want to watch season 2.

Also thank fuck it's 30ish minute episodes and not one hour.

FetchFugly likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Rich Sommer (asshole husband) is so fuckable.

5. Phoenix

And Marc Marion is surprisingly good playing a version of himself.

6. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I'm six episodes in on this, and agree that it improves after the first couple. The cast are very likeable.

The run time is definitely another good thing. Too many of these streaming shows are a full 60 minutes and end up feeling a slog.

7. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

really enjoying this all over. as said thank fuck it's "only" 30 minutes and the characters are good. wolf girl is the only one i find rather jarring and i thought miss britain was supposed to be australian for a while there.

oh and i love alison brie. love her. she's come such a long way since community and i am so proud.

8. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I'm so excited to watch this. I don't know how much it relates to the actual GLOW in the eighties (Tina Ferrari ftw) but all signs look good.

9. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I am still agog at KATE NASH (and her tits)

10. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

This was great and made a 200 minute train delay to London a little more bearable

11. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I just finished it. Was living for the KKK tag team :D

SDF and Chlammy like this.
  12. FetchFugly

This was great fun. The two female leads were very good (though Betty Gilpin was probably even better in her brief appearances in American Gods) but they definitely have lots of room to explore the other characters.

I see Jackie Stallone featured in the actual GLOW. I may have to watch the documentary on Netflix.

Chlammy likes this.
  13. Jark

Jark campione

I really think Ruth is an AMAZING character - desperate, a bit pathetic, but smart and charmingly demented. Alison Brie nails every single element of her personality. As the season goes on she's such a joy to watch, especially the scene at the fundraiser where she atones for sleeping with Debbie's husband (and then remembers she's meant to be a recovering crack addict). Queen.

14. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I thought the talk-singing thing was a nod to Kate Nash's music, but having watched the documentary on Netflix, it appears it was quite a prominent part of the show :D

15. Ryan

Ryan User

Binge-watched this at the weekend - more shows should have 30 minute episodes! Is there going to be a second series?

16. Mel

Mel Not-So-Postwhore.

Binged watched this too. I actually thought Ruth was really unlikeable, think I might have come around by the end but I prefer Debbie, Cherry, Machu Picchu etc.

17. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I finally got around to watching this - loved it.

18. Phoenix

Season 2 was great, much more memorable and Alison Brie and Marc Maron were both excellent. Episode 8 was the highlight and this is obviously amazing

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  19. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I’m about halfway through and it really does have a certain charm about it, doesn’t it?

20. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Oh totally. She’s a great heel. But I think she’s more likeable in the episodes I’ve seen in season 2.

21. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I’ve just finished season 2. It really is a delightful show. Ruth really is more likable as the season goes on, especially that match. Lovely finale episode.

I also noticed the first season has been nominated for 10 emmys.

22. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I've watched this too despite it not being exactly my normal cup of tea and actually quite enjoyed it.

I liked the actual wrestler cameos and the occasional tits.

23. Ag

Ag Just tax the stupid people. And let them die

I've just binged both seasons. Really like this. Some amazing characters and I loved episode 8 of season 2.

24. Ag

Ag Just tax the stupid people. And let them die

You'd love OITNB.

25. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Not sure why I didn’t comment on the first season, which I loved, but absolutely ADORED the second. Alison Brie is superb in this- as much as Betty Gilpin has the more histrionic scenes, Brie was the standout for me in a much more nuanced performance, not easy in what is essentially a comedy. That scene where they squared off in the hospital after the injury, though, was worthy of any top end drama.

Love all of the supporting cast too- Kate Nash, who knew?! But Welfare Queen is MY Queen. Real life wrestler before and not a “proper” actress until this. Surely a life in comedic roles follows.

26. Sheena

Not sure why I didn’t comment on the first season, which I loved, but absolutely ADORED the second. Alison Brie is superb in this- as much as Betty Gilpin has the more histrionic scenes, Brie was the standout for me in a much nuanced performance, not easy in what is essentially a comedy. That scene where they squared off in the hospital after the injury, though, was worthy of any top end drama.

Love all of the supporting cast too- Kate Nash, who knew?! But Welfare Queen is MY Queen. Real life wrestler before and not a “proper” actress until this. Surely a life in comedic roles follows.

27. Sheena

Oh and obviously Episode 8 was ALL KINDS OF AMAZING :D

28. Sheena

Oh and Annabella Sciorra? FUCK ME! Talk about unrecognisable

29. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Wrestlers usually do well in acting because wrestling is acting.

But in *this* case that's not as true. As Awesome Kong she barely spoke and just squashed people. I didnt even recognise her at first.

30. Sheena

Well of course it’s acting, I get it, but she’s definitely a standout for me...her timing is immaculate!

31. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

No, my point is that I'm amazed she *can* act, given in wrestling she was never given a chance to speak.

32. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I didn’t recognise that she was Awesome Kong until I was googling the cast. She looks so different. I totally agree she is definitely one of the best supporting characters, even though she is a little underused.

Indie likes this.
  33. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I'm not surprised, she has so much personality in interviews. Though of course that doesn't transfer to acting, but it makes it less surprising when you're contrasting it to her as Kong.

This season was so good. I binged it on the airplane yesterday.

Episode 8.
    The hospital fight.
    The leg breaking.
    The wedding.
    Welfare Queen and the storyline with her son.
    The baby stealing angle.
    The GLOW girls and their music videos.
    Everything.

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  34. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

P.S. I thought episode 8 was a bag of dogshit and detracted from the whole thing.

The finale was brilliant though.

35. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I’m halfway through Season 1 of this and I really want to persevere because everyone seems to adore it, but I’m just finding it really un-engaging.

I mean Alison Brie is delightful and I love all the 80s tunes. But it’s just... 30 minutes of watching people rehearse? For a ’sport’ in which I have absolutely no interest?

Am I being weird or does it take a sharp upward tick into things actually happening soon?

36. Phoenix

It improves in the second season, the first season is a lot of groundwork.

37. Sheena

Mr Sheena hated episode 8 too. Very Marmite it seems.

@VoR - definitely picks up. I found the first half alright rather than amazing and the second half really good. Series two is brilliant. Stick with.

38. FetchFugly

Binged the tremendous second season yesterday.

Ruth was much more sympathetic than previously and I agree the episode with Welfare Queen and her son was a highlight. I like how the running time keeps things tight (compared to say Orange Is The New Black) even if it does mean that most of the ensemble does only got spotlighted once in the season.

39. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Binged Season 2 this weekend. It definitely took a huge upswing once they actually got on television.

Betty Gilpin is brilliant as Debbie and I love how complicated and real her relationship with Ruth is. Her reaction to Ruth nearly getting raped by the studio exec was a proper :o moment, and it’s to the actor’s credit that she still manages to be somewhat sympathetic after that and everything that follows.

Tamme/Welfare Queen is the clear standout of the supporting cast, but I love Rhonda and Melrose too. It’s been said already but Kate Nash - WHO KNEW?

40. Sheena

Yeah, Tamme, Rhonda and Melrose are the obvious three standouts in the supporting cast of ladies, although in fairness Cherry was in the first season, she just hasn't been given anything to do in the second.

I really love Bash as well. After seemingly being a throwaway in the first season, I really have thought he's been played beautifully in season two...