Grace and Frankie (Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda Netflix Comedy)

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Phoenix, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CDv6PRi1SgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This seems to be trageted at Moopy

2. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

:D

Cannot wait!

3. Marilyn

Marilyn User

They'd better be keeping a Dolly appearance secret so it's a surprise

4. ameraal

ameraal true love is making a comeback

*dies*

5. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

The premise didn't appeal to me at first, but it seems that put Lilly and Jane in an ensemble cast and I am in sitcom heaven.

6. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Netflix are producing most of the shows I watch these days.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I need them to slow down, I'm trying to watch Daredevil but this month is so busy in terms of shows I like starting that I'm not finding the time. They're popping a show a month and that's too much.

8. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it and there have been a few chuckles but I've not PMSLd myself once.

9. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

"If anyone's gonna sit on Ryan Gosling's face, it's gonna be ME!" :D

10. Crash

Crash Thank You

"It'd have been better if you had died" :D

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  11. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

"That's a lubricant? I've been putting it on my toast!"

12. Ag

Ag User

I quite like this. Much better than Transparent (I think the two have obvious comparisons).

13. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

It wasn't as hysterical as I thought it was going to be, but still enjoyed watching it.

14. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I finished watching it this afternoon. Much more of a bittersweet drama with comic moments than an out and out comedy. Decent acting all around though, with Lily Tomlin and Sam Waterston especially good together.

15. untitled

untitled blue of my oblivion

I've just binged this, and think it's so brilliant and fun!

Jane Fonda is just SUCH a treat every single time.

16. Ag

Ag User

I really enjoyed it. Loads of killer one liners. The two women are MARVELOUS, as is the oldest daughter. The weakest link really are the gay couple.

17. untitled

untitled blue of my oblivion

The gay husbands and the two adopted sons hold little interest for me, but are still watchable.

The oldest daughter is just FAB. The episode where she got a dog was pure COMEDY.

18. ameraal

ameraal true love is making a comeback

i gave up on this after three episodes ):
    does it pick up? i really like the ladies but the rest is just dull.

19. Tetris-Rock

The actress that plays her, June Diane Raphael, is a pretty underrecognised talent. I became aware of her via the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast (fully recommended for those that listen to a lot of podcasts) about bad films in which she is hysterically baffled by everything.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  20. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Yes! I've listened to quite a lot of those since you recommended it, and she's blatantly the best one :D Her overly in depth analysis of the butterfly show from A View To a Kill is a particular favourite.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  21. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are just too good in this one.
    I've made the funniest line in the series my user title as I spat out the food I was eating when I heard it.

And I'll check out that podcast TR has recommended. The Brianna character got interesting towards the last episodes. And this has been renewed for a 2nd season.

22. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

My favourite moment is when the eldest daughter came to pick up her dog and Jane and Lily were making lube. The daughter's reaction was wonderful. :D

The adopted sons and the younger daughter really were awful though.

23. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I'm 10 episodes in. Lily and Jane are flawless but I hate basically everyone else except the oldest daughter. Not so much that I don't want to keep watching, though. Why am I supposed to think the two gays are anything other than complete cunts? As somebody said in the second or so episode, if they were cheating with women it would be treated totally differently.

Every character is basically a big cunt in one way or another. Many good shows have thrived on that premise though, so I dunno

The episode I've just watched where the baby just FELL out of the youngest daughter was ridiculous :D It was like Tempest DuJour's entrance on this season's Drag Race

24. Tetris-Rock

This is true. But I do not think the two are so completely comparable on such a like for like basis. They were covering up sexuality in a way that was super common in generational terms and while it could be argued that they should have just been out with it much sooner, it is also true that society really only in the last ten years or so become SO open and accepting of homosexuality to it's current degree.

THAT SAID... Robert and Saul's approach to the whole thing is very unrealistic. While I think that the families in that situation should come to accept their relationship for what it is, their expectation that everyone will adjust with immediacy is beyond short-sighted. Saul's urge to keep Frankie around is also extremely naive in terms of what is best for her in the short term, as is acknowledged. On the face of it, he's a more likeable character than Robert but with any analysis begins to show serious emotional immaturity. It's a problem for the show too that the relationship between Robert and Saul at times feels far less authentic than that between the latter and Frankie.

I agree about the other characters, bar-Brianna. The younger daughter holds such little interest for me, and this was probably because she was so underdeveloped in comparison to Brianna. With the two adopted sons, Bud is just a bit po-faced, cocky and overly serious and the drug addict one is just completely unsympathetic. Are we supposed to be empathetic towards him in the context of his unreciprocated feelings for and slight obsession with a married woman whom he has harassed? Fucking NO THANKS.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  25. Tetris-Rock

Listen to their analysis of "From Justin To Kelly" first.

26. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

I'll try this one then (although I've no idea what film this is). I tried listening to a couple yesterday but found it a bit too noisy and chatty.

27. Marilyn

Marilyn User

The episode where the gays get into a fight because one cheated on the other once is beyond a joke - they were CHEATING ON THEIR WIVES for TWENTY YEARS!! :D

28. Marilyn

Marilyn User

To expand on what I said before + TR's comment about it being unrealistic, I recently had an... INCIDENT in my family that vaguely mirrors this show and the whole thing was just TRAUMATIC for everyone involved. On the show you have the extra gay element, the fact that this 20-year affair was with a close family friend etc. but nobody really seems THAT bothered. For the children it seems like a minor inconvenience and even Grace and Frankie seem to get over it fairly quickly. Where's the suicide threats, the lying on the floor crying, the vomiting and so forth?

Anyway sorry for all the bitching - this is still the best show I've seen so far this year. "I made out with a monkey" is a recent highlight

29. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I haven't finished this yet but it is much more conventional than Transparent. Also like everyone said, the show is fun but it doesn't make a lick of sense if you actualy scrutinize it. The husbands are just awful, there's no other way around it and the problem is the show doesn't seem to be aware of it and wants us to be happy for them. On Transparent, they know those people are flawed and they deal with it.

30. Tetris-Rock

Well, Transparent is enjoyable but has literally no likeable main characters aside from Maura. Unlike Grace and Frankie, the three adult children in that show are all actively ABHORRENT rather than just a little dull, unsympathetic or underdeveloped.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  31. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I agree but they feel like real people, Grace and Frankie is just broad. The kids are the alcoholic, the uptight one, the suburban mother (why does she treat her husband like a piece of shit? he's hot as fuck) and the slutty one.

32. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Before we even have S2, Netflix have renewed this for a third :disco:

33. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara Allt sem ég sá...

Oh hurrah, this is BACK BACK BACK. Even though I only like three of the characters

34. Ag

Ag User

We watched it at the weekend. No drop in quality especially. My favourite new character is the office gay.

35. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Listening to this now. It's funny, but the two guys talk far too much and Brianna far too little.

36. VoR

Now listening to their Spiceworld episode.

"Was Sporty Spice a lesbian?"

37. Tetris-Rock

That is one of the things that pisses me off about it. It almost doesn't matter what woman is there.

On a recent live episode about the Village People biopic "Can't Stop The Music", the guys were shouting over the female guest so much I almost switched off.

June's best turn is in their episode on Street Fighter, in which she utters the immortal question... "what exactly is a... STREET FIGHTER?"

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  38. Mugatu

Mugatu Ladministrator

Yeah I've heard a few episodes of it, they were all slightly too LOUD and AMERICAN for me and at times it feels like a vehicle to sell crap audiobooks with amusing stuff in between. The Spiceworld episode was pretty funny though.

39. VoR

Paul Scheer is MARRIED to her as well (and frankly punching WAY above his weight) so you'd think he'd be a bit more mindful to not yell over her.

The Spice World episode was great, but when one of the guys commented that Retta was "far and away one of our most requested guest stars ever" I did find myself wondering, if that was the case, why they didn't encourage her to talk more. She had more lines on an average episode of Parks & Rec! (Although she seemed a bit grumpy and didn't get the film at all).

I was glad June actually had some positive things to say about Spiceworld, but it never fails to baffle me that nobody ever makes the connection that it's a deliberate piece of absurdist comedy. I know it's not actually in the leagues of Life of Brian, but they spend so long banging on about how nothing about the film makes any sense - THAT'S THE POINT!

40. Tetris-Rock

In terms of good episodes with female guests, I do recommend "Howard The Duck" with Kirsten Schall.