GRINDR help!

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Devil, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Hey boys,

Just wondering if it's just mine but my favourites function seems to be shitting itself. Whenever I save a new favourite they appear at the top/with a star, but as soon as it refreshes or I log out and come back later my new favourites are no longer there, and any I've got rid of are back. It's not a major thing but a bit of a pain in the arse as I like to change them a bit. Does it require a reinstall or anything? There's no updates that I've missed.

2. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

Mine started doing that ever since the last update. I've found that if you turn off your iPhone completely and turn it back on, they will be in your favourites and stay there. It's not exactly a great solution but it does work.

I bet you're dead surprised it was me answering?

3. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I knew you'd be the one :D

So do you mean click favourite (so that they appear in that area) and then turn the phone off and on? I guess there's no point in turning it off and on before clicking favourite as they won't be in that area when it comes back on.

4. Mats

Mats User

grindr is fucked. I've tried deleting my photo five times and it keeps coming back. I had the Favourite problem as well

I just use the Recent feature if I want to chat with someone who's not showing on the general overview

5. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I uploaded all my details to it last night and this morning they were gone. A few LOOKERS in my area, though. It must be said.

6. delirium

Yes I do mean that. Unless you have a psychic iPhone that knows the kind of homo you want pounding you.

7. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

If you open the multi tasking dock and hold down over an icon it will shake and you can then delete it which will reboot the app. Sometimes helps.

8. Eileen

What exactly IS the difference between Grindr and Grindr Xtra?

9. Slave

Slave User

I don't have Grindr Xtra, but I thought the main selling points were more than 100 guys (although the advantage of that depends entirely on where you live), the ability to flip through profiles like your photo album and a different map visualisation.

10. Eileen

Basically - a pile of arse that I don't give a shit about then.

GOOD :D

11. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

If you're using Grindr for DATES, I think the paid app is worth the couple of quid. The free version is just TOO restrictive.

12. Eileen

More for curiosity really. With maybe the hope of a random shag.

13. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Push notifications too.

APPARENTLY

14. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Just like Qrushr then. They're actually quite useful too.

Grindr really is the WORST of the GPS dating apps in terms of features. But it's got the MASS of USERS, so who can argue with THAT?

15. Eileen

Sounds like GAYDAR. Maybe fitlads should bring out something similar. I do like the way that anything fitlads related on wikipedia is marked for deletion but anything gaydar related isn't.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Gaydar's over, surely? It took them SO LONG to get their iPhone app out, I really couldn't understand why they were taking their time. They certainly have presence in Europe or North America now.

17. Eileen

For me it's been over for years but That One still swears by it. It must still have INFLUENCE in the PROVINCES.

18. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

People still seem to use multiple brands across multiple platforms (depending on APPETITE, obviously). Gaydar still has an enormous share of the gay dating market, I believe.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

In the UK maybe - nowhere else though.

Of course, you can segment yourself out now (fitlads, Recon, etc. etc.) and they generally offer a much better service than crappy old Gaydar.

20. Slave

Slave User

Gaydar is SO dated it's laughable. Even with their iPhone app, who wants to be told they can only view a limited number of profiles a day, particularly when the images are SO small you have to click on a profile merely to check you're not about to waste one of your 8 messages on a minger

21. Eileen

No wonder their founder TOPPED himself.

22. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I don't think FALLING OUT OF A WINDOW when you're TRIPPING ON KETAMINE really counts as a suicide in ANYONE'S books

23. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

Not to mention that they've put utterly ARBITRARY restrictions on how the app works, so people need to purchase a specific membership (different from the premium one for the website) to use all the features :daf:

24. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Gaydar really should have just bought Grindr out at the time when it was starting to become something and either re-name it or work it as a companion to the main website…

But that wouldn't have worked because the Gaydar website is so pathetically SHIT. HTML frames in 2011? Oh dear… You just know they've got a few gay web developers and they refuse to out source because it might mean getting some straights in. They've got another new look coming up but it's still essentially the same website and a bit more flashy while the background code remains the same.

25. COB

Yes! I had a look at the 'beta' of the new design when they let you do that, and it's literally just a new stylesheet :manson: I'm sure Grindr and its ilk will pack up and go home once they unleash THAT.

26. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

But it's the only App that actually pulls your correct location. Get your core feature working first then faff about with the rest.

"I wanna fuck you so hard"
    "Mmmmmm. Where you at?"
    "Didsbury"
    "Errr… that's not in Aberdeen"*

*alleged conversation

27. COB

Oh they all work well enough for me. I think the Android versions of some of the apps were a bit shonky for a while, though.

Nice to see a glimpse of your standard OPENING GAMBIT there, Perc :disco:

28. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I read in Attitude that there was only ONE guy who designed the whole IT stuff behind Gaydar. He died/fell into a gay coma/whatever therefore they've had NO IDEA how the entire site worked. It took them years to find a way through some reverse engineering. What kind of operation were they running?

29. Win_the_game

Win_the_game User

To be a fair don't quite a large number of conversations go along the lines of:

Where are you?
    What are you into?
    Top or bottom?
    How big are you?

30. COB

I'm sure even THAT's a bit subtle for a lot of them! I'm nothing like that on it of course :eyes:

:D UNBELIEVABLE.

31. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

:D Surely any other company would have gone "LETS START AFRESH" not "Let's see how long we can get away with this for"?

I've always thought about setting up a Grindr browser version. Really simple website. You go online and enter the postcode of where you're at and boom it gives you 100 closest people to you.

No hype
    No gloss
    No pretense
    Just me (website)
    Stripped

32. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Or closest to whatever other postcode you try out. I'm not too keen about that.

33. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Well there was that SLIGHT flaw. Maybe put like a 100m buffer on it so it's not totally accurate. The old FUDS with a wife on the side who don't have iPhones would be LAPPING IT UP.

34. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

This thread reminded me of this:
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Rjd5YGnNJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

35. Slave

Slave User

The thing that strikes me about Gaydar is that it will probably solely exist for older guys - the Bristol Cruising chat is full of either "TOP MEET NOW PLZ" or INANE conversations about the weather. It's very unusual to see anyone nearby who's under 30 - but I suppose they are the kind of guys with a bit of disposable income who will buy premium memberships in the vague hope of it being productive, because they know that Fitlads, etc. are designed for and predominantly used by people who will just block/ignore them straight away.

I don't mean to come across as really shallow, but one of the great things about Grindr is that you can filter the age range of people, and quickly skim through and block anyone who is old/fat/grey, etc.

36. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Ahhhhh… The day I thought I was meeting a 21 year old and he turned out be (an ugly) 39. Fucking knob head. Had the audacity to ask why I was blocking him! Massive cock though.

37. delirium

I'm meeting a boy off grindr for ICE CREAM later tonight :D

38. Devil

Devil I Need A House

SLUT.

I had a bad experience on the weekend so am logging off permanantly*

(*til I'm bored tomorrow)

39. delirium

I really am meeting him for ice-cream. He's a funny one - he keeps telling me off for having 'tacky conversations' (i.e. pretty much everything that comes out of my mouth or that I type) and he has dogs. Who has dogs in the city? The only people I know with dogs live so far west, they may as well be in Mordor. Anyway, we've decided to lay off the booze and do something else instead :angel:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  40. Devil

Devil I Need A House

He sounds far too PURE for you :D