Habitat (and many other businesses) DEAD

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Ag

Ag User

Wow we've not had a cull like this since Woolworths and assorted others went under at the tail end of 2008.

I will SERIOUSLY miss Habitat. Even if I can't afford it mostly, it's always a joy for a BROWSE.

2. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Thorntons :o :(

3. wendy the goat

wendy the goat PS1 Hagrid is sick of your shit

And TJ Hughes. I can't recall the last time I set foot in one of their stores so no big loss there.

4. Ag

Ag User

5. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

At the time the cuts were first announced, a list of companies wrote to the government saying that they supported them. Does anyone have this list? I know they included LK Bennett and a company that make condoms. I wanted to see if any of these were on it.

I don't shop in any of these places but it's a bad thing for UK PLC

6. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Poor Habitat. They were ALWAYS my go-to for a housewarming gift.

7. Ag

Ag User

It is GREAT for a LOVELY slightly pricey looking gift.

8. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

At my school, Jane Norman carrier bags were the must have accessory for slutty middle class girls. R.I.P. Jane

And i'm sad for the people that work there, but Thornton's dying is clearly belated karma for them ceasing to sell FIZZY FISH, which i loved as a kid (until Thorntons took them from me :().

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

It was MORGAN in my day.

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I can understand Habitat the more I think about it. They've still got lovely small bits but their furniture really hasn't been very stylish for a long time. Places like BoConcept, Heals and Dwell do it much better.

Thorntons is no huge loss really. It's not like there's a shortage of chocolate shops. Godiva and Hotel Chocolat will fill the void.

11. Ag

Ag User

Heals is FUCKING FABULOUS.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

A lot of these places probably would have survived if they'd not made debt-ladened acquisitions in recent years and had been able to move on.

Habitat is the one that surprises me most really. It occupied a niche between Heal's (really much more expensive than most people will have the cash for) and IKEA and I'd have thought it would have been able to adapt and survive. Having said that, I haven't bought anything there for YEARS and it used to be my premier fallback for wedding presents for people you don't like all that much.

13. wendy the goat

There was a carrier bag HIERACHY amongst the girls at my school:
    1. paper carrier bags (Burberry, Chanel etc)
    2. Jane Norman
    3. Morgan
    4. JD Sports
    5. Body Shop
    6. Gippos with bootbags

14. TurnerPrize

Is there any news on WATERSTONES? I can cope with many a loss as long as Waterstones is alright.

I will wheep when/if they slip into the abyss. Even though it's shits like me with our fucking kindles who have stuck the knife in.

15. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

JD Sports bags were ESSENTIAL for swimming days at PE. Although I preferred the silver Sports Connection ones :disco:

16. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I feel like Dwell really stuck the boot into Habitat. It's so much cheaper and it's of pretty much the same quality. I still think the Habitat brand can survive selling crockery and stuff like that. They still do all of that pretty well, although I was reading that the reason they closed their Regent Street store was to focus on furniture.

Even the small items though must be selling less than they used to. Debenhams have gone after that market with all the Designers at Debenhams homeware, Zara Home sprung up and places like John Lewis and House Of Fraser constantly have homeware sales on. It's a pretty crowded market.

HMV are trying to sell it off as we speak. :(

17. TurnerPrize

Could we BUY IT? :(

18. Kratz

Kratz Pearl in the shell.

Waterstones is being sold to the original owner of the business and to Russian billionaire Alexander Mamut for c.£50m. The deal is going through legal due diligence etc. Even despite all of HMV's struggles, it was the strongest part of the business, so should be able to survive. It wants to refocus as a local bookseller, as per its origins.

The curious thing is that, despite all the publicity surrounding HMV/Waterstones, it has remained profitable (ableit debt laden and in need of massive restructuring) whereas truly doomed retailers have clearly flown under the radar.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Zara Home - of course! They really must have stuck the KNIFE into Habitat's back. Dwell I'm not even aware of...

20. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Oh that's good news. The Waterstones in Chiswick is fantastic. The staff are amazing and there's a real local focus. There's always some local nobody in there signing something.

21. TurnerPrize

Oh HOORAY

I feel at such utter peace when walking round a waterstones, or any bookshop really (not second hand). I'm not even much of a reader.

22. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Zara Home felt so much more current than Habitat when it sprung up too. For years you couldn't buy anything but LINEAR MODULAR furniture, and Zara completely nailed the aspirational shabby chic look of the last decade or so.

You should check out Dwell Christian. It's Heal's for people that can't afford it. LIKE ME.

23. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I was in Foyles on Charing Cross Road last week. MY MY how they've turned that around. And now that Saint Martin's is moving to King's Cross they're getting control over that whole block again and the plans for the redevelopment are amazing.

24. Kratz

Waterstones is a genuinely fantastic store. One of my closest friends is head of customer services for the whole chain and the effort they put into the service they provide is second to none on the High Street - as a result they consistently top customer satisfaction surveys. I reckon the idea of refocusing locally is good - I've always thought one of the best things about Waterstones is reading the little recommendations that fellow customers write.

25. Kratz

Incidentally when I finally start earning a crust as a lawyer in September, it will be in Corporate Restructuring - I can't think of a more interesting time to be doing it.

26. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The Foyles is Westfield is terrible and it's always dead. They got it so wrong when they opened that store. Give the space to Waterstones instead.

I love the Waterstones where Simpsons of Piccaddilly used to be. It's so vast that it's like being in a national library and it's just a genuine joy to shop in. Such a great selection.

27. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Agreed. There's never anyone in there though and certainly nobody buying. That space must be worth a fortune too.

The worrying thing about all these chains going bust is the knock on effect it will have on the businesses which own the properties. No tenants = no income.

28. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

With any luck, it could start sending rent rates down and therefore make it possible for new local businesses to start trading on high streets.

29. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

I am quite sad about Jane Norman :(

The Habitat I go past on my way to work has big CLOSING DOWN SALE signs up, I may pop in for a look on my way home :disco:

30. Ag

Ag User

It was 20% off on Saturday. It was fucking rammed. Should close more often.

31. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I doubt it. A decline in rent rates will probably just result in a new Sainsburys Local right next to a major supermarket - just like we have in Clapham. With a Tesco Metro in between :zombie:.

32. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I loved it when Woolworths closed down in Plumstead and there were people effing and blinding at how little had been taken off the prices. And that store was pretty much like a jumble sale anyway.

33. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I think that's true of London but most high streets around the UK have so many empty shops now that's something's going to have to give eventually.

34. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

But who do you think is going to be first to take advantage of lowered rents? There will be conditions attached for sure - and you can bet that they won't encourage small independent retailers.

35. ThunderThighs

ThunderThighs BURSTING OUT ALL OVER

I used to buy all sorts of POSSIBLY KNOCK-OFF DESIGNER TAT in TJ HUGHES when I was YOUNG and FRESHLY MINTED

HAPPY DAYS

36. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Oh WOW, around the mid-nineties, kids at my school were willing their parents to buy them something for Sports Connection just so they could get one of the bags. Incredibly DEPRESSING in retrospect.

Regarding Jane Norman, there was a huge BOOM on their bags in third and fourth year of high school... because of the bag design, Jane Norman is forever registered in my brain as "JANE NOR."

37. wendy the goat

Oh god yes. Bright pink or orange plastic bags too :D

38. TurnerPrize

I had a bootbag :(

It was for my football boots though, if that makes it better. It would only get brought in once a term TOPS to show some p.e. willing.

39. wendy the goat

Boot bags for boys was FINE (Unless it was a shit one like Hi-Tec)
    For girls it was on a par with bringing your PE kit in in an OXFAM BAG

40. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Habitat could AT LEAST muster up a BETTER SALE than 20% OFF. :evil: