Help! Melodic drum and bass?!?

Discussion in 'Dance & Electronica' started by HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid, Dec 26, 2020.

1. HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid

HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid Piece. Of. Work.

Hello! I’m in desperate need of some expert help trying to scratch a long-held itch and I thought there must be someone on Moopy who would have the magic answer.

Sorry for the long post but this is a mysterious journey of melodic drum and bass nostalgia that has just been triggered by listening to the Destiny’s Child Christmas album (?!)

So when I was a kid in the 90s I used to watch these snowboarding TV programmes and the soundtrack was always some kind of melodic, liquid drum and bass. I basically would watch those shows for the soundtrack and wait for a very specific sub-genre that they would often play. I loved it but never knew what it was and am now desperately searching for artists or tracks in this genre.

Then when I had a PlayStation 1 (!) as a teenager, I played a tennis game which has this amazing track which sounded exactly like the very melodic, kind of lazy drum and bass tracks they would play on these shows:

Finally, this Christmas I reheard (no joke) a Destiny’s Child cover version of This Christmas by Donny Hathaway...again using these melodic beats and I just got the biggest nostalgia rush from those TV tracks:

PLEASE! Can someone help me understand what genre I’ve been exposed to and artists who make these magical bleepy beats?! I have no idea what I’m talking about or if it’s even considered drum and bass but it’s the closest connection I can find.

DOES ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT?! Literally get triggered by this every 20 months :(

Thank you xxx

2. Suomi

Suomi User

3. jyxz

jyxz User

Like this?

4. HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid

Yes @jyxz very much like this! Thank you. The tracks I remember tended to have a slower BPM and had a more ‘obvious’ or poppy topline melodic refrain but it’s more in this lane than the harder kind of jungle/dnb.

5. OutSynk

OutSynk Born to dare

Very melodic and poppy. :)

6. HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid

An absolute classic! One of Kimberley’s ‘best’ vocals moments.

7. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Have some 1970s proto drum and bass meets MOR

8. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

9. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I'll dig more out later, but this is brand new and great.

10. HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid

thank you! This is a great starter :)

11. funky

funky User

Hate drum and bass, LOVE liquid drum and bass. Not sure why. Anyway I'm sure I could dig a few out. Loving this at the moment: