Hidden Figures

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by Phoenix, Aug 15, 2016.

?

#WhiteMathematiciansMatterToo

1. 10

6.7%
  2. 09

46.7%
  3. 08

33.3%
  4. 07

13.3%
  5. 06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

It is the season of Oscar movies trailers

Starring Taraji P Henson, Janelle Monae, Octavia Spencer, Kirsten Dunst, Kevin Costner & Jim Parsons about the African American ladies who helped NASA launch their space program.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

This is finally out in the UK next weekend. Out of all the Oscarbait films I think I've been looking forward to this the most.

And it's overtaken La La Land as the highest grossing Best Picture nominee, proving again that period dramas featuring 40-something black women played by Octavia Spencer can bring in the dollars.

3. cwej

cwej User

Excited about this. Black women and maths - what more could I want?

Diddy, RaspberrySwirl and Ellie like this.
  4. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I genuinely thought to myself 'wow, they finally made the ultimate cwej movie' when I first saw the trailer for this. :D

cwej likes this.
  5. cwej

cwej User

Shall I just vote 10 now?

6. VoR

Well I found this to be a total delight.

It's not a groundbreaking piece of art or anything, but it's a really interesting story told well and wonderfully acted. The central trio was so charismatic, and they managed to make the complicated maths and science appropriately central to the story without either boring me or feeling like they were massively dumbing it down. Obviously there was a lot of exposition going on, but it never felt overly jarring.

Janelle Monae's plotline was a bit underbaked, but I suppose they couldn't put everything in. I'd also have liked a bit of background on where their love of maths and engineering came from and how they got to NASA in the first place, but I appreciate that isn't the story they were telling.

Supporting cast wise, I'm interested to know if the character Kevin Costner is based on really did all those things, because he did feel a bit too much of a white knight at times. Jim Parsons was perfectly adequate but he basically was just playing Sheldon Cooper. Not really his fault, I just think maybe another actor would have felt less like typecasting.

Not much else to say really, except I'd really strongly recommend this to anyone for a feelgood, uplifting two hours in the cinema.

7. Ryan

Ryan User

Is there anything that Janelle Monae can't do? What a woman.

This is a traditional, family-friendly, crowd-pleasing movie and I don't think there have been too many of those this season.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

This was delightful but I felt the movie making let it down at places. If you look at the achievement of these women I feel you should be able to present it in a more elegant way. The bit with Kevin Costner and the bathroom sign made me cringe (and all the white people looked so pleased with themselves).

The three actresses were excellent, whenever they were together it was magic. I also nearly cried when Janelle Monae's husband gives her the pencils.

The soundtrack was probably the most distracting bit, whoever Pharelle's voice came on it took me out of the movie.

9. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

To be honest I don't even remember any music being played in the movie apart from the scene in the church and the one of the 3 women dancing.

Overall the movie was great and very well played by the 3 lead actresses.

10. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I saw this tonight, loved it - the sort of film I usually wait to see on TV rather than in the cinema, but I was very intrigued by the story and also my curiosity about Janelle's acting ability (I thought she was excellent).

I hadn't realised Kirsten Dunst was in it, and shamefully spent most of her scenes wondering if it WAS her or just a similar-looking (older) actress :( In my defense I haven't seen her in anything for years, and she was playing older than her real age... I think?

11. VoR

She's 34 IRL.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I was just looking at her IMDb and was shocked to see she was 34 but I guess they made her look especially matronly for this.

13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Lovely film, not as ambitious as La La Land obviously, but totally solid and if it did win Best Picture I'd not mind too much at all. It's certainly a lot better than Spotlight.

Great performances all around, with Taraji's post toilet scene and Janelle's courtroom appearance the strongest. Octavia was great but I didn't think she did anything especially outstanding to get the nomination.

The bathroom scene was as ridiculous as Rachel McAdams' dishwasher scene last year. Why would all those men walk half a mile across the site to see Kevin Costner smash down that sign? Apparently the real Katherine just used the Whites toilet.

14. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Loved this too. Great story and universally well acted. Taraji I thought was brilliant- pity she didn't get a nom for that if you ask ME...

Jark likes this.
  15. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

This was absolutely lovely and really moved me. Very well acted without being too much. I could watch these three women for hours and wish they had made a tv series out of the story.

16. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Great film, very frothy, despite the subject matter. Really liked the performances, don't understand why Octavia was rewarded with nominations though.

17. Jark

Jark User

Finally saw this. It's a 9 from me. I cried multiple times. Octavia was very good but Taraji was BRILLIANT and it's a bit of a joke she wasn't in the mix for Best Actress.

The scene where Kirsten gives Octavia the supervisor job really fucked me up. :disco:

18. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Loved it! Those actresses are EVERYTHING. It's probably riddled with inaccuracies, but what a wonderful story beautifully told.