HMV about to go into administration again

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Sheena, Dec 28, 2018.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I walked past ours earlier but couldn't bring myself to go in. Looked reasonably busy.

2. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

God that list is brutal

Does that mean there won't be a HMV in Scotland?

:(

3. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

:(

What a depressing list. So many employees with a really shitty new year on the cards. Last time they were in administration I think they sorted out a more favourable returns arrangement so not sure what they can realistically do this time around.

I can't speak to the ridiculousness of their vinyl prices (though all vinyl prices seem pretty ridiculous to me) but for CDs they are usually as good as or better than Amazon, especially for multibuys.

4. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I'm surprised ours is closing - it only recently closed and reopened in a much smaller shop

5. lolly

I don't understand it really - I'd assume the Bath store had higher rates or whatever than the two Bristol ones that are closing.

6. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

Complete wipeout of Manchester, then. I'm not sure that leaves anywhere to buy CDs or DVDs in the city.

7. Slave

Slave User

Brighton has been closed for a few years, unless they opened another store.

Edit: they did. In the same shopping mall. Presumably NOT a huge cost saving then.

The only reason I can think of them keeping Bath is that it probably has a higher demographic of people likely to buy physical than the more youth-orientated areas.

8. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

Piccadilly? Boomkat?

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  9. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I'd totally forgotten about Piccadilly and I've never heard of Boomkat. In my defence, the Northern Quarter is really far from the parts of the city centre that I usually visit.

10. Indie

Indie Terrorvision synthesiser

I reckon they're all going. The only possible reason I can see for some of these shops staying open is something stupid like timing of rent.

11. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I would have stayed competitive ie engage with streaming services to begin with.

12. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Do you really though? How so then? Clearly not if you’re buying your physicals from amazon so please so get off the cross because unless you’re campaigning for those jobs then I’m not interested.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  13. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

Which to be fair, isn't exactly accessible now as you have to go to Westwood Cross - and given the amount that's closed down/struggling there, these out-out-town retail parks are starting to feel like a dated concept themselves.

That and the Canterbury one always seemed to have people in but the tills were suspiciously empty :side-eye: :(

Dr Lecter likes this.
  14. octophone

How would a physical store do that? Given that this seems to be a massive part of the problem and a reason why so many retailers are bailing out of the format...

15. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

If Fopp goes I am going to die.

16. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

That is one part of the problem though.

As I said, they didn’t stay competitive. I would also have slashed prices further.

They fell asleep at the wheel. For years. Sorry but they don’t have my sympathy. Not anymore.

17. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Fopp is not going anywhere soon. Unlike HMV Fopp have been more savvy. I mean they were doing £1 CDs as far back as 2006! When did HMV ever do £1 CDs? Last time I walked into one they were still peddling that two for £10 deal on 5 and 10 year old albums. Pathetic and simply disrespectful.

They don’t deserve my custom if they treat me with such utter contempt.

18. Slave

Slave User

I agree with this. I don't think the answer was ever going to have been trying to counter the shift towards digital. However, it's hard to see that beyond their initial reshuffle of adding video games and electronics to the store, that they ever tried to think about what they COULD offer consumers.

I probably would've looked at the model that some of the pop culture stores have in America - they are FULL of merchandise from TV, film and music that you don't see anywhere else - or you pay through the nose for from online due to shipping costs. It might not have been a viable long-term alternative, but they've flirted with the idea of the vinyl pop figures, mugs, keyrings, etc. The main problem is that it's nearly all hopelessly mainstream, 'credible' and not at all unique.

19. Slave

Slave User

Well, most of them ARE.

I presume the overheads are much lower in Fopp due to them CRAMMING the floor space and occupying less appealing retail sites. But I can't imagine their margins are any better than HMV.

20. octophone

A total non-answer, an unrealistic potential solution and and a weirdly bitter coda.

Get some sleep or something.

21. octophone

Nope, it seems that all but one Fopp store is up for closure.

22. octophone

Consumers want to spend as little money as possible because they don't have the kind of disposable income they had even 15 years ago. That is the main crisis at the back of this - austerity kills retail.

The rise in vinyl is actually little more than it coming to be seen as the audio equivalent of a hardback book, the choice of the "serious" listener, a successful rebranding of the format and not one led by retailers (but rather by critics and internet forums like Steve Hoffman). I don't see a film equivalent of that. Home cinema and Blu-ray never produced the hoped-for higher pricepoint in the numbers that were desired and now gets discounted as quickly and as sharply as DVD.

For the record, I have bought one physical music item from Amazon this year: the Charli XCX 2LP. Neither Fopp not HMV stocked it; I tried them first. Kill me for it if you can.

23. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

The trouble is you can't have a physical store unless it IS mainstream - unless you can guarantee you'll get the clientele you're aiming for in enough numbers to stay afloat.

HMV is the last main high street music retailer to bite the dust. It's no one's fault, they didn't do anything massively wrong otherwise Our Price and the rest wouldn't have died before them. Yes their stores are misguided and they could have tightened up their whole image and selling point but they're a victim of streaming and online sales so what can you do? It's affecting every damn retailer out there, no matter what they sell.

24. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Does anyone know if they are still letting you redeem points? I managed to cash mine in for £20 of discount yesterday on the site before it closed but I haven’t actually spent them yet...

25. Sheena

It looks like they're honouring gift cards but doesn't say anything about points cards...

26. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Well, THIS. Unfortunately HMV assisted in the visual cheapening of it all by having all the 2 for £15 (or however much it was) CDs plonked at the front of the store. I don’t think that’s the reason it’s gone tits up but it looks so uninvitingly tawdry. You never get that in Fopp. (Or at least, not that I’ve noticed.) Or, heaven forbid, Rough Trade. Also, that Trending Now rack made me feel sick. It was like grandpa trying to be with it

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  27. Slave

Slave User

That sums up HMV ever since the birth of iTunes (they WERE vehemently opposed to their inclusion in the chart due to the difficulties it would create for their singles chart display, weren’t they?)

28. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I’m tempted to nip down to the Bond Street branch to snout out some bargains but I did that when Maplin carked it and it’s like gawping at someone who’s just been run over or rummaging through their handbag to see if there’s any cash to be had

Diddy and Penelope like this.
  29. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I was bleakly amused by a HMV staff member being reported as saying that “customers have been remarking on it all morning - not all of them have been nice.” (:D!)

30. Robbie

Robbie User

I mentioned of the first page that the last time I was in HMV was back in 2005. I've just realised that the last time I was in any record shop was January 2007 when Music Zone were closing down. There was a time when I almost lived in a record shop, certainly on a Saturday when I would split my time between being in Callers (on Northumberland Street in Newcastle, sadly now closed down), HMV, Virgin Megastore and Volume. Volume sadly closed in the 90s - in the very late 70s and early 80s it was where you'd go to buy all the indie, punk, reggae and rock stuff that didn't usually get anywhere near the charts. If HMV goes that will be the lot of them that have gone.

I do have a soft spot for HMV as some of you might remember me mentioning that I once worked at the HMV in Sunderland. That was a long time ago and back in the days when record shops would be packed, especially on a Saturday. I can't recall the last time I saw HMV looking busy as I walked past the shop.

31. lolly

I fondly remember the new release Monday lunch break ritual of walking into town to hit Virgin Megastore, Woolworths, Our Price (two branches), and HMV, before heading back to work laden with small (free) carrier bags :(

ManicKangaroo and Zu-Klara like this.
  32. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I frequently popped over to Woolworths (very handily situated directly opposite my flat in Archway) BEFORE work of a Monday to fetch the hot goods, most notably ‘He’s On The Phone’ :disco:

SORRY DOCTOR’S APPOINTMENT

33. Robbie

Robbie User

Is that Archway in North London? If so is that monstrosity of a building (Archway Tower)near the tube station still there? When I was in the Civil Service that was one of the training centres we were sent to (it used to be a DHSS office). Wonderful views from the top part of the building - on a sunny day you could see over 25 miles to the south - but it was also an awful building as we weren't allowed to open any of the windows as they had a tendency to fall out! Apparently some claimant had gone to the building to query his benefit claim and was rendered unconcious when someone opened a window and it fell on his head!

34. Sheena

New release Monday- I remember when I started work properly, every week I’d go to Sainsbury’s (there was already no record shop in Fareham by 2000) and buy a new CD and play it on my portable CD player on the way home. Because I felt cheated if I didn’t buy something, I’d end up with all manner of shit. I’m looking at you Billie Piper.

And oh the excitement days of a “Light Years” or “Music” appearing. Sigh :(

Iguana, Suedey and SDF like this.
  35. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Going to HMV was an event every Monday for me

I’m pretty sure I spent about 50% of my student loan on cds and dvds,m

New Music Fridays just aren’t the same :(

36. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Okay, maybe I was a bit harsh last night but I still stand by most of what I said.

Sorry @BoysForSeles for quoting Tori's "Big Wheel" at you :shy:

Iguana likes this.
  37. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I still have a picture of myself holding up the Music CD against the BIG FUCK OFF album cover in the window display on HMV Bond St :( :(

But don't worry 'y'all' I won't post it here.

Iguana likes this.
  38. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

Surely this deserves to be in the 'post a picture of yourself' thread?

39. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I still remember scouring the new release racks for Judy Nunn's Sex Over The Phone :(

SDF and Sheena like this.
  40. Robbie

Robbie User

When I was a teenager it used to be New Music Saturday. Until the early 80s most singles were released on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. HMV tended to hold back selling new releases until a Monday but a couple of the shops I mentioned above, Callers and Volume, would sell then on a Saturday. On a Saturday the manager of the singles counter at Callers would literally sell them out of the box they had arrived in. It's no coincidence that the charts started to speed up when singles began to usually have a Monday release date.