HMV about to go into administration again

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Sheena, Dec 28, 2018.

1. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

Saw this earlier - really thrilled for them. Can't go in tomorrow but will likely shuffle in on Sunday.

Local site Glasgow Live actually quoted and embedded my tweet on the subject so I like to think I've helped a little. They didn't embed Bell and Sebastian's tweet, that's all I'm saying.

ManicKangaroo and FetchFugly like this.
  2. octophone

The landlord is probably noticing how many stores in the area are closing, reopening as something else and then closing again. Also, there's a restaurant in the upstairs unit which limits what can be done.

3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Just walked past the Fopp here for the first time since its closure. Slightly surprised to see that the shelves haven't been cleared, and there is no pile of post stacked behind the door - it just looks as if it had closed for the day.

Is it too much to hope there may be a way out of this, like Byres Road?

4. lolly

Apparently HMV Bath reopened yesterday...

5. Slave

Slave User

Rent renegotiation apparently.

Sensible decision - a premises that size would have been very hard to fill. Especially now that the main shopping area is further down the road.

6. lolly

That makes me hopeful for Fopp Bristol. That's a pretty large store and a similar sized one a few doors down was empty for well over a year until very recently.

The fact that the stock is clearly all still on the shelves and hasn't been redistributed already makes me think they are at least trying to save it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. octophone

It is looking like a few of the closures may have involved a little brinkmanship. Rough for the staff.

FetchFugly likes this.
  8. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

9. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I wonder if the plan is to open any of the stores they closed due to high rents before the administration? (Eventually- it would be stupid to do so off the bat). The main Portsmouth and Southampton branches were both profitable, I believe, but scuppered by high rents- certainly the former has no one in the site currently, I can't imagine Southampton has either...

10. octophone

I dare say they'd look at the existing profile before looking at any re-openings but who knows?

11. lolly

HMV Reading reopened today

12. octophone

How many re-openings is that now? They closed 27, didn't they? That's 4 if I've followed this thread properly.

13. lolly

Apparently it's six - Fopp Byres Road Glasgow, HMV Braehead Glasgow, HMV Bath, HMV Meadowhall, HMV Bluewater and now HMV Reading.

14. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

Braehead is in an intu shopping centre who were struggling financially so I guess they got a discount on the rent or something. So that leaves 21 stores, I guess more are likely to reopen.