HMV about to go into administration again

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Sheena, Dec 28, 2018.

1. octophone

octophone smack your lips (clap your teeth)

Saw this earlier - really thrilled for them. Can't go in tomorrow but will likely shuffle in on Sunday.

Local site Glasgow Live actually quoted and embedded my tweet on the subject so I like to think I've helped a little. They didn't embed Bell and Sebastian's tweet, that's all I'm saying.

ManicKangaroo and FetchFugly like this.
  2. octophone

The landlord is probably noticing how many stores in the area are closing, reopening as something else and then closing again. Also, there's a restaurant in the upstairs unit which limits what can be done.

3. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Just walked past the Fopp here for the first time since its closure. Slightly surprised to see that the shelves haven't been cleared, and there is no pile of post stacked behind the door - it just looks as if it had closed for the day.

Is it too much to hope there may be a way out of this, like Byres Road?

4. lolly

Apparently HMV Bath reopened yesterday...

5. Slave

Slave User

Rent renegotiation apparently.

Sensible decision - a premises that size would have been very hard to fill. Especially now that the main shopping area is further down the road.

6. lolly

That makes me hopeful for Fopp Bristol. That's a pretty large store and a similar sized one a few doors down was empty for well over a year until very recently.

The fact that the stock is clearly all still on the shelves and hasn't been redistributed already makes me think they are at least trying to save it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. octophone

It is looking like a few of the closures may have involved a little brinkmanship. Rough for the staff.

FetchFugly likes this.
  8. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

9. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I wonder if the plan is to open any of the stores they closed due to high rents before the administration? (Eventually- it would be stupid to do so off the bat). The main Portsmouth and Southampton branches were both profitable, I believe, but scuppered by high rents- certainly the former has no one in the site currently, I can't imagine Southampton has either...

10. octophone

I dare say they'd look at the existing profile before looking at any re-openings but who knows?

11. lolly

HMV Reading reopened today

12. octophone

How many re-openings is that now? They closed 27, didn't they? That's 4 if I've followed this thread properly.

13. lolly

Apparently it's six - Fopp Byres Road Glasgow, HMV Braehead Glasgow, HMV Bath, HMV Meadowhall, HMV Bluewater and now HMV Reading.

14. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

Braehead is in an intu shopping centre who were struggling financially so I guess they got a discount on the rent or something. So that leaves 21 stores, I guess more are likely to reopen.

15. octophone

I missed Braehead getting the nod but then, I'm never there. So that's all 4 Glasgow stores then. Hmmm.

16. Sheena

I'm GOING to Glasgow next week. I hope I have time to NIP IN to Fopp :disco:

17. Sheena

Actually, while we're here, where is best for hunting for vinyl in Glasgow, @octophone ? I pretty much have a free day most of Thursday- bunk off work and come with me :disco:

18. octophone

Oh, if only, I'm in training all week next week :(

Vinyl - Monorail Music is a big vinyl seller - mostly indie/alt however.
    Missing - dingy, under a bridge, all second-hand, all sorts of everything
    Love Music - wider genre range but less stock - also has secondhand - close to Queen Street Station.
    Fopp is on Union Street in the town centre, on Byres Road in the West End - Byres Road has a mostly vinyl 2nd hand store as well - the Oxfam further down..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  19. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Is the Oxfam music shop still in the west end? I'm sure that'd be right up Sheena's street

20. octophone

That was what I meant by the 2nd hard store but I got cut off when I was typing! Now updated.

SDF likes this.
  21. Sheena

Thanks for the tips! I’ll have a good mince round the charity shops as well.

22. lolly

Merry Hill (Dudley), Tunbridge Wells and Plymouth all reopened at the weekend.

23. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

All in anticipation for Emma Buntons new album, I’m sure :side-eye:

I really hope this works out for them. But I can’t help feel they should be doing more to support existing stores as well. I went in to my local at the weekend and it was dead :(

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  24. FetchFugly

Yes my local shop is still looking a little sad. Understandable maybe but it still seems that not that much in the way of new stock is getting through and the same Xmas sale displays are still all out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  25. octophone

They seem to only be getting in stuff that is a definite sale really - mainstream new releases and only genuinely popular indie acts i.e. Sleaford Mods who are #5 midweek (but will drop outside the 10 in all likelihood). Back catalogue sections are looking a bit empty and tired but, you know, give it time.

26. Slave

Slave User

This is really why I wouldn't have been opposed to a complete rebranding. Literally chuck out EVERYTHING and start over.

It's great that it's been saved, but that doesn't change the fact that they've done nothing about the ROT that caused it to end up in that situation again.

27. Sheena

It's BEEN ABOUT A FORTNIGHT :D

28. Slave

Slave User

Yes, but it's hardly the FIRST TIME.

You'd think having nearly GONE UNDER before, they'd have a contingency plan.

29. Sheena

WHAT? That doesn't make any sense WHATSOEVER! It's a new company that has taken over who won't know FUCK ALL about the way things work at HMV.

Give the place a chance!

30. lolly

The new owner has been in place a matter of days - it's more than a little ridiculous to expect anything yet.

31. lolly

This sounds encouraging from an interview with him, anyway:

What are the ambitions for vinyl and in-stores at HMV?

“We’re going to go a lot heavier on vinyl and live events. We think both are fantastic. You’ve got to have a depth of catalogue, you’ve got to have those great products so we just want to make sure we keep doing that.”

Can you grow HMV and – just as Warner Music is increasing physical sales - even help grow the market?

“We think we can. We did it in Canada, we believe we can do it here as well. For us as a chain we can grow it. Can the overall market grow? I don’t know - but I know we can. We’ve got the right people to grow this business.”

How about changing up the product mix and focusing more on music?

“DVD is still a great [product], it’s a very large business [but] certainly it’s seeing decline. We know we want to double down on vinyl and get a bit more vinyl in there. Overall, we think the mix is somewhat healthy. The sales are pretty good at £250 million [in 2018]. I’m less concerned about the sales and more concerned about making sure all our expenses need to be in line. We need to just keep being creative and keep pushing the boundaries, and seeing what we can do with that number. But it’s a pretty healthy number.”

Have you been cheered by the industry reaction?

“It’s very supportive. Everybody knows everybody, I think they know what was happening in Canada and the success we’ve had. So that makes it a lot easier for them to be happy with. We’re experts at the categories, so it’s a really nice fit.”

How will you judge success in a year’s time?

“We need to have those stores be profitable and we need to be going down a new path. The stores need to look different, feel different, be different. We do have the best staff, so we want to make sure that we keep having the best talent. If we can just give ourselves a fresh look and fresh ideas, that really is going to be good. Clearly from a business perspective, profitability is a critical thing for us to stick around, so we need to get profitable. But we also need to make sure our customers are still happy and engaged and loving what we’re doing.”

FetchFugly likes this.
  32. Sheena

I've said for years all they need to do is ACTUALLY FOCUS ON MUSIC.

33. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Which is why I don’t think concentrating on negotiating stores that they’ve closed is necessarily the right focus

34. Sheena

They're trying to a) save people's jobs and b) keep stores open by negotiating rents in areas where that's problematic. Some of those stores could be really important to the overall brand.

35. lolly

And it's not like just because they ARE renegotiating on those stores means that they aren't also working at all on moving forward, is it?

36. Sheena

Well one PRESUMES not. The issue is, once they lose a store, that's pretty much IT. It would be a lot harder to re-open, which is why I imagine they're trying to let as few go as possible at this stage...

37. lolly

Like octophone says above, I'm sure a lot of it is brinkmanship with some of the closed ones, which surely were still profitable - or at least could be.

I'm still hopeful for the Fopp here which I walked past again today and still looks as if it is just closed for the day - stock still on shelves, no build up of post behind the door. But then I guess in an area where there is a branch of HMV a ten minute walk away, they may be willing to hold out longer, knowing they have central Bristol covered anyway. Particularly with Rough Trade slap bang in the middle of the two stores and who already successfully hold gigs several nights each month.

38. Sheena

I'd give ANYTHING to have our big, central HMV back, but then if their new business model is as the new owner suggests it is, the DVD-centric store we have here in Portsmouth now would be revising its catalogue soon more to my taste anyway...

39. Sheena

What's happened with the Pure HMV thing as well? Has that been restarted? I know you could still collect points during the administration but I'm guessing they haven't let you go back to redeeming them yet?

And if they do, that needs an overhaul. There was literally NOTHING worth having other than exchanging points for spend- which is fine! Just do that! You aren't fucking Nectar...

40. FetchFugly

They seemed to have more new stuff in store today with some of the releases from the last few weeks, which was nice to see.

The staff member I spoke to seemed to think that Pure would be be back at some point soon. In other HOT HMV NEWS on new stock they now seem to have taken to putting the price sticker on the back rather than the front, so you really have to pick the CD up rather than flicking through the rack.