HMV about to go into administration again

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Sheena, Dec 28, 2018.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

HMV Ayr also reopened.

2. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

They're openly admitting now that they've been playing hardball with landlords. Pisser for the staff to be out of work with no wages in the meantime.

3. octophone

Yes - I FUCKING hate this already! How many times do I have to pick up a back catalogue album to see if they've cut a couple of quid off it yet without looking a cheapskate. GUH!

4. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I guess there is some thinking about you being more likely to buy once you have picked something up but yes highly irritating. Also only indicating that a CD is in a multibuy deal with a sticker on the back doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Presumably in a multi buy campaign they’ll all be in the same section? Or they’ll just put a sticker for that on the front?

6. FetchFugly

In this case it was one copy sitting in the catalogue racking with no copies in the two for £15 section, which like the sale display seems to have been preserved in pre-administration time. I guess that may change when they start getting in new releases in greater quantities again.

7. Ag

Ag User

I'm yet to see any great improvement in my local HMV, but then I'm probably expecting change too soon.

The full price of vinyl remains well beyond what I can justify on a regular basis. Although I did almost pick up Spice for £12.99.

8. octophone

Aye, they've got a few decent titles at £12.99 right now. Thought about Sonic Youth's "Goo" but I already have a CD and remastered, expended 2CD bumper back and don't need a third copy.

9. lolly

HMV Exeter reopened

10. octophone

I wonder if any previous "safe" stores will close? It seems to be suspiciously good news all the way at the moment...

11. lolly

I find it hard to think they aren't negotiating hard on every rent, really.

12. FetchFugly

Kingston and Crawley were not on the closing list and have apparently just shut up shop. You do wonder if there will be others for which they can't get the rent deal they want, or they decide aren't worth the investment needed in revamping the stores beyond switching the side of the packaging the sticker goes on.

13. lolly

Uxbridge and Thurrock reopened.

14. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

HMV Dunny-on-the-Wold reopened.

15. octophone

Brigadoon HMV and Narnia Fopp reopened.

16. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Cheadle still closed. :(

17. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

i need manchester fopp, or else

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Now at some point you started making up places but I’m not sure where...

My guess is Uxbridge

SDF likes this.
  19. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I used to work in Uxbridge

20. Ag

Ag User

Isle of Lesbos HMV reopens with a built in cat sanctuary.

21. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Rachey appointed as manager.

22. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Allegedly HMV York, which hasn't shut this whole time, is now closing at the end of the month. Whoops!

23. octophone

I had a feeling stuff like this would start to happen...there were a few too many reopenings for there not to be corresponding closures elsewhere.

24. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Apparently we're a victim of our own success - shops generally aren't closing here due to the tourist trade (save some of the larger fashion chains), so rents can't be negotiated down so easily like they have elsewhere.

25. octophone

What a weird scenario. Late capitalism in excelsis.

Broomhelga likes this.
  26. lolly

That didn't stop them closing Bath temporarily. But then as Slave said before, Bath has a new shiny shopping centre down the road from the existing store, which I imagine means demand in the older part of town has reduced, so HMV could negotiate hard.

I think perhaps we've been a little complacent with the reopenings. As well as the negotiating on the closed stores, there must be other stores it didn't necessarily make sense to close immediately, but who remain vulnerable.

They have said they have no intention of reopening the flagship London store but are looking an alternatives, so my hope would be that there are areas where they know the demand is there and they are looking at other premises.

27. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

They’ve just announced they’re closing the one in Gunwharf, near me- presumably cause of massively high rents in a premium location.

God knows where the nearest one to me is now. Portsmouth Central, Southampton, Gunwharf, Chichester, all gone. Literally nothing within an hour’s drive. :(

Better get down there and look for some bargains. 10 percent off as usual I expect :D

28. Slave

Slave User

Don’t forget to pick up your Big Bang Theory doormat!

wendy the goat and SDF like this.
  29. Sheena

So my local one in Gunwharf closes down on Sunday, so I went down today to pick the bones. Massive signs up-"EVERYTHING MUST GO!", "STORE CLOSING", blah blah blah...and not a SINGLE discount on anything in the entire store other than the usual 2 for £15 CDs etc. I overheard a woman talking to her friend and moaning that there weren't any bargains and that it was a bit of a SWIZZ. Thing is, I agree- whilst it's obvious they could move the stock to another store and that's all FINE, the signage was leaving a sour taste in customer mouths. Not worth the few quid you're going to make in your final week for the damage to your brand identity, is it?

Weirdly, they had today's new releases in, which seemed rather bizarre, all things considered. Including the new Donna Summer "Another Place and Time" remaster. At £45. For a three CD set. (Which is already overpriced at £31 on Amazon).

I bought a few bits- mainly things I'd been holding out to buy when I got to go to HMV rather than buying off Amazon, went to the till and asked if the HMV Points thing was still suspended and the response was "No idea, there's no website up, we've been told to tell everyone to keep receipts and the card, but I can't see it coming back to be honest, that was ages ago and nothing since."

And if all of that doesn't sum up why HMV failed in the first fucking place, I don't know what does. :manson: :(

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  30. octophone

It's sad, isn't it? So far, the only sign of change is this nonsense with putting price stickers on the back and Fopp no longer knocking a couple of quid off albums after they have dropped off (admittedly, they were doing this a bit quickly - 2 weeks in some cases was all you had to hang off for). I hope there's better to come.

31. Sheena

YES! Thing is, I REALLY want to help keep HMV open. I just find myself irritated when I go into one rather than ready to buy...

32. Slave

Slave User

Yeah, I really don’t see what they’re trying to do differently to not just end up back in EXACTLY the same place they’ve just got out of.

33. lolly

Its about 7 or 8 weeks now since the first closures, isn't it? The Bristol Fopp still looks like it is just closed for the day. Yesterday there were people inside with clipboards, whatever that's worth.

34. FetchFugly

Presumably once they eventually figure out what shops are staying open they will start making changes. They talked about the feel of the shops being different and making more of vinyl - not that the latter is for me. There has to be more planned than the sticker on the back ridiculousness (and the old stock still having the stickers on the front just makes it worse).

Oh and if they do just plan on dragging things out with the points cards waiting for people to forget about them, them that is a terrible idea in terms of goodwill from their customers who likely shop with them most regularly.

35. octophone

Possibly at the point of redistributing the stock - I guess there may still be surprises but I would also have expected that if it was going to reopen, it would have happened by now.

36. Sheena

I agree it's too early to judge what they're going to do. They're still sorting out the mess from the previous ownership and working out what stores to keep/ get rid of. But they do need to be careful not too annoy the existing client base before going to a new one. I can't see much evidence that they are bothering.

And the sticker on the back business has really annoyed me- about six times I picked up things that I thought I might consider if they were a decent price and they weren't. It appears things on sale or on offer have stickers on the front, though...but maybe they were just left over from previous stock.

37. octophone

Belfast saved after a protracted negotiation with the landlords and having been due to close this week. The landlord is...Sports Direct.

38. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

It'd be funny if Sports Direct did actually own all of Belfast.

39. lolly

[​IMG]

'We picked a good year to get in the business': Doug Putman on his vision for the HMV revival
    by Andre Paine
    April 10th 2019 at 6:51AM
    [​IMG]

It’s just over two months since HMV was rescued by Sunrise Records CEO and owner Doug Putman, and a lot has happened already.

After the acquisition of HMV in a deal with administrators, 100 stores were kept open but 27 closed because of high costs, including the flagship Oxford Street store. However, the new HMV team negotiated with landlords to bring back 13 of the shuttered branches, though three others (Crawley, Kingston and Portsmouth) have since closed. HMV has also confirmed to Music Week that three more stores are at risk of closure: Solihull, Llandudno and York.

As revealed in the latest issue of Music Week, Putman has big ambitions for HMV in-stores and the music chain has now partnered with Tixserve for its events. The industry is particularly focused on physical music this week in the run-up to Record Store Day, although HMV isn't currently part of the vinyl celebration. Here, Putman opens up about his vision for HMV...

What do you think is going to be different about your HMV compared to before?

“I think the passion is there. Obviously, I’m pretty passionate about it and that’s important, because it starts at the very top. When people know that you’re owned by a big corporation, that’s one thing. When you know you’re owned by me, I care about music and I care about having these physical stores. I’m absolutely 100% committed to this industry. I’m sure if you talked to head office, not everybody loves me or loves my style. I’m very driven and I’m going to push really hard on the team. It’s only going to get harder, but I’ve also said to them: when we come out on the other side of this, when you look at what you’ve achieved, you’re going to be amazed by it.

“Our customers are so loyal, they’re passionate, our suppliers are very passionate and loyal and have done everything to help us. From what I’ve seen, the artists are unbelievably passionate and supportive of us as well. We had Twenty One Pilots at a bunch of stores. To get such a big name band as that to come and do signings, that shows our passion. What does a [customer] want in their store? Well, they need stock of course, they want good pricing, they want knowledgeable staff, they want that experience. So I think just the fact that I’m so relentless on these things, the team buys into that and that makes a world of difference.”

What changes are you going to implement?

“It’s more about innovation as in, Why didn’t we jump harder into vinyl? Why didn’t we promote in-stores a lot more? I think there were over 100 performances in HMV last year. I challenged the team that I want 10 times that. I want 1,000 performances. So it’s taking the things that you know people like about what we do and just hyping it up even more. So you know people want vinyl, give them more. Give them as much as they want until they say it’s too much, then let’s back off.”

It’s up to us to really offer that experience that makes the customer want to come in and spend time with us

With all that increase in in-store artist activity, do you think HMV’s network of stores can help break artists?

“Yeah, you’ve got to hit all levels now. Back in the day, [artists] could say, ‘Oh we’ll just do TV or we’ll just tour’. I think now you need a very holistic approach. You’ve got to get on all the streaming sites, of course, you’ve got to tour, you’ve got to play. There’s something just amazing about that intimate experience of being there [in the store] with your artist. So I think we can certainly help to get a lot of people to [gigs]. You’ve got to think of how many millions of people go through our stores. I think it’s certainly a way that we can help. Not only does that give a great in-store experience, but it certainly pays off in the long run to try and help support the community-that is the reason we exist.”

Vinyl growth is slowing in the UK. Can you only grow vinyl at HMV at the expense of indies?

“No, I don’t think so. I think for us it’s about getting new people who are just walking through a mall or the High Street, they see us and the passion of a person in the store and that’s how a lot of people get hooked on getting back into vinyl, buying a record player. There’s something really cool about it, when you actually set it up and use it, it’s hard not to buy an album here and there. I get that the pace of it is slowing but we’ve just got to keep making it easier for the customers to get into it. I think we can develop new customers into it. Frankly, it’s a really great number where it’s at now. If we can just keep being the one place that everyone thinks of for entertainment product, there’s a customer that going to be coming in and buying from us for a long time.”

Can you reverse the decline in CD?

“I think you can slow it. We definitely talk a lot about how much of the decline is almost that self-fulfilling prophecy. If people keep moving away from the CD, meaning the retailers, then of course it’s going to continue to decline. I think what we need to do is just keep giving the assortment, we can definitely slow it down and you’ll hit a point where you’ve got that core customer buying it. It’s no different than if artists only released music digitally. Clearly that’s going to hurt the business as well, so for us it’s about making sure that we try and push as much as possible to make sure that artists are continuing with physical product.”

How’s it going so far with new releases from Tom Walker and the on-going soundtrack success of Bohemian Rhapsody?

“They’re doing great. Look, we picked a good year to get in the business, when you look at what’s come and what’s coming it all looks good for us. But I think that the core thing for us is that as much as you need the new releases, the more analogue business and depth we can do, the safer we are if we don’t have a year with a great slate. There’s no doubt that the bigger the acts that are coming out, the more business we’re going to do. Again, it’s up to us to really offer that experience that makes the customer want to come in and spend time with us, regardless if that new release is there or not.”

Is there anything the industry can do to make the physical product more attractive?

“The more you can offer, the better – and I don’t think it only has to be the music content. The more artists can put in there of themselves, the better, whether it’s images, whether it’s a journal, something about how they made the album, just something that’s only found in that CD. The more you can do that, there’s just that deeper sense of connection with the artist. I think that is what can capture the customer.”

40. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

The most shocking news there is that there is an HMV in LLANDUDNO

WHO KNEW