Holidaying alone

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Nancy, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Do you do it? Have you? Would you?

I arrived yesterday for a 10 day break to Lanzarote. I needed to get away and clear my head. It’s doing me the world of good.

I am so relaxed already and don’t feel at all self conscious or awkward. My balcony looks out over the ocean and I have felt my mind calm down to a place where it’s not been for a long time. It’s so quiet here to how it usually is (this is my third time in this area of Lanzarote and my first alone), but I am so pleased I came.

Jark, Barnacle, Star and 3 others like this.
  2. Indie

Indie REMAIN INDOORS

I did a lot of backpacking on my own in my early twenties. Sure, in youth hostels you're rarely alone but depending on the situation, i'd often be out and about on my own and loved it.

I'm married now, so that seems unlikely, but I sometimes take day trips out on my own. I'd absolutely holiday alone if I wasn't married.

3. Rita

Rita User

Why was the first thing that entered in to my head @Diddy’s ill fated trip to MALTA?

4. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I've never done it. I think I'd like to. I enjoy my own company and I like to do my own thing.

That said, I'm really bad with directions and I always feel awkward trying to communicate with people when I clearly don't have a grip on the language, so I'd probably die :D

Soldi and Iguana like this.
  5. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

I’ve realised that I’m at my most content in my natural state, which is pleasant melancholic loneliness (which is a lot happier than it sounds) so this suits me just fine.

Iguana likes this.
  6. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Do what I do and speak in English SLOWLY and LOUDLY. Works every time.

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  7. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

Glad you're enjoying, Nance. Sounds perfect!

The answer is no but I did have a whole DAY to myself when I visited someone in Santa Barbara back in 2009 and I spent it having the most amazing me time I've ever had, on the beach surrounded by sand, sea, sun, palm trees, mountains and hills. I listened to lots of music, wandered into some little shops, went to a café, walked along a pier... I've really never had a day like that on my own since and it was bliss.

8. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Baby steps, Iguana. Baby steps.

9. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

I’ve done it twice, a month hopping around Spain and a month travelling around Australia.

Both times were a result of needing to push myself outside my comfort zone and do something for my mental health and self confidence and both times were the absolute tonic.

My only regret of it is not having someone to share the memories with and reflect back on, there’s no ‘remember that time we...’

But other than that I find travelling solo really very fulfilling.

10. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'm with Vanessa

11. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I wish I could do this. That’s exactly what I need right now

I’ve been to NYC many times alone, but that’s a city and I know tonnes of people there. And I know the city almost as well as I know london. I’m fact I’ve been to quite a few places alone but always because I knew someone or someone lived there.

Never actually fully traveled alone. I can handle the daytimes. But not the evenings as well. I love my own company, but not THAT much.

12. Lucille

Lucille The Duchess of Quim

I went to Marseille alone for my birthday for the first time and loved it. You just do whatever you like. I spent many hours wondering the city aimlessly, popping into coffee shops and bars, and not worrying about what other people want to do. I did meet up with some lovely guys from Grindr towards the end though. All I would say is DO IT.

13. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

I haven’t yet but was planning on a little cheap city break somewhere in Europe at some point in October/November. I’ve decided to hold off at the minute due to obvious reasons, but I’m eyeing up Paris in April and would quite like to do a couple more mini breaks next summer depending on finances.

Lovely to hear that you’re having a nice time Nancy :)

14. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

Didn’t you get MUGGED?

15. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

It's MARSEILLE. Getting mugged is listed in the 'Things To Do' section of the guidebooks.

16. lolly

I remember wanting to go away somewhere for a short break in my early twenties when I was single and none of my small circle of closest friends were up for it, fpr whatever reason. I ended up going to Amsterdam for a few nights with a fairly new friend who I didn't really know that well.

It was a fucking nightmare. Everything he did irritated me. And I know we went together, but he wanted to spend absolutely every moment together. Even to the extent of having to come into every shop with me. When I suggested on day two that we have a few hours apart and meet in the evening to eat, he was crushed. And still crying when I came back.

17. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

YES YES YES! I AM VANESSA! (Solo gigs available on my OnlyFans.)

18. lolly

oh nancy not lanzarote

19. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Where else can you get 5 star luxury at 3 star prices? (Or is it the other way round?)

20. lolly

is there a dead dog in the pool? 3 star if so.

Iguana likes this.
  21. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Just a pigeon (but far better looking than those in the UK)

22. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

You can tell a lot about a place by the class of its pigeons.

23. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

I don’t think you can have a house party on your own, can you?

24. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

Of course you can!

jivafox likes this.
  25. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

Never done a full holiday alone (although I've done plenty of solo concerts plus a West End show as a birthday treat a couple of years ago) and probably won't as I currently have a boyfriend who loves traveling and a few friends who'd probably always be up for going away, plus my parents love a good pool holiday.

Have done flights and half of a two-night stay in Stockholm alone though when a friend could only make it for half the time. Spent a good portion of the time just sat around in my hotel room waiting for him to arrive :D (Had already been before and seen the ABBA museum which was my main point of interest so although I could've made better use of the time, it didn't feel too wasteful). I rely on others for directions on holiday too much

Nancy likes this.
  26. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I'd weirdly be much happier on a full holiday alone than I would be going to a pop concert.

Theatre, absolutely fine. I've done that a couple of times. But I think I'd feel self conscious at a gig.

Nancy likes this.
  27. Nancy

Nancy Demanding

SO TRUE! Concerts are something to be enjoyed with friends. I would feel ever so self-conscious screaming and jumping around on my own.

28. Lucille

Not by the guy off Grindr, although that’s what my mum assumed.

Soldi likes this.
  29. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Done it before, spent 10 days on my own in Thailand before meeting mates, went to Ibiza on my own scoping out where to move, mostly by just travelling to every little town on the island and eating/drinking, and a couple of other short trips often tacked onto the end of meeting people or working. Its great, I was raised an only child, so have no problem spending time on my own.

Nancy likes this.
  30. Win_the_game

Win_the_game User

I absolutely would. I had planned to go solo travelling around Northern Italy but covid put paid to that this year.

straightorbroken and Nancy like this.
  31. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I've been to several gigs on my own in the past and it's not bothered me. I crave time to myself right now as I don't get any! I've never been on holiday alone but I think I would if I found myself in such a situation.

32. Lucille

Also on holiday by yourself you’re kind of forced to meet people, who you wouldn’t meet if you with people, I met the love of my life in Marseille which never would’ve happened with friends.

Soldi likes this.
  33. lolly

I'm quite sure I could be equally as closed to new people and standoffish as I am going as part of a couple.

big ron and Nancy like this.
  34. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

:o Fill us in!

35. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I did my last trip alone and really enjoyed it. Loved the freedom and didn’t feel self conscious at all. I did have some,umm, company some of the evenings but I’d do it again.

I can’t say there weren’t some experiences that wouldn’t have been heightened in the company of a friend but it wasn’t a major issue. I’ve reached an age where if I want to do something and nobody else is free I’m not going to let it stop me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Nancy likes this.
  36. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I love it, I probably do it once a year.

In general I find it's a bit harder in cities, they can feel a bit more lonely as there's a lot more bustle going on that you don't feel fully part of, but apart from that minor thing it's fantastic!

37. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I've never done an actual holiday fully on my own - I've spent time alone where I had a few days either side of seeing friends, or tagging a few days on to a work trip. I DO love spending time on my own but this is usually at home relaxing and I prefer to have someone to share experiences with. Though I have had a couple of times when I WISHED I was alone on holiday. I don't think I would do it now though, I already have a few times away each year without Mr K to go to Eurovision related stuff (with friends) and I think it would take the piss a bit to go off on a solo holiday without him. But if I was single I certainly would consider it.

Nancy likes this.
  38. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Tu cabeza, mi cabeza

I've never done it but I'm contemplating the idea.

I've been wanting to go away somewhere far in Asia or South America and this was supposed to be the year to do it. But now after Covid, the friends I usually travel away with actually think 'you don't need to go far for a nice vacation' :square: So fuck them and fuck another vacation in boring old Europe, I'm going on my own.

Soldi and Nancy like this.
  39. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Oh the other slight warning I'd give - I've found it's definitely harder if you can't read the alphabet. I was in Hong Kong on my own and felt massively out of my depth; for some reason that's just a step of alienation too far for me!

Dark Carnival likes this.
  40. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I used to be so shy about doing this and still would be a bit but won’t let it put me off again.