HORROR

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by jivafox, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

No, the sleeping bag kill is in Part VII, The New Blood. There's also one in the F13 remake. And a virtual one in Jason X (one of only two good things about that one).
    Part 2 is my favourite of the Friday 13ths, it's actually really suspenseful, has one of the best final girls in slasher history and the hottest guys.

jyxz and jivafox like this.
  2. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

I'll probably watch Trick'r'Treat again for Halloween this year, it's my favourite horror anthology film. I also like to watch Hell House LLC in October, that one is super creepy. And the original Halloween for nostalgic reasons obviously. And all of the Roseanne Halloween episodes! :disco:

Helen_S likes this.
  3. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

The lawnmower scene in “Sinister” is the last big jump I remember falling for in the cinema. Genuinely about a foot off my seat.

4. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

Yes, that one got me too. The last jump scare that actually made me scream in a cinema was the scene with the television set and the old man in The Conjuring 2. Thankfully we were alone in that screening. I'm a sucker for haunted house/ghost stories, I'll even watch the bad ones...

5. jyxz

jyxz User

Duh. Of course it wasn’t part 2 as he doesn’t get his hockey mask til part 3! Part 2 had the guy in the wheelchair get macheted in the face. And THEN he poor lad went down some rickety steps in his wheelchair.

What was the one where the girl peed herself under the bed and that’s how she was discovered?

6. jyxz

jyxz User

I watched Sinister the other night (forgetting I’d already seen it) and I still jumped. One was definitely the lawnmower scene.

jivafox likes this.
  7. Debbie Jellinsky

Debbie Jellinsky User

That was Part 2 - because she sees a rat!

jyxz likes this.
  8. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I had to think then what the bus was in Final Destination :D that got SUCH a reaction in the cinema. I think the first time I’ve ever seen that tool used was in Meet Joe Black. Final Destination was the first to use it so gratuitously in horror - it’s been used countless times since then.

9. Rita

Rita User

I LOVE a good horror but can never watch one alone. :zombie:

ButterTart likes this.
  10. funky

funky INCAPABLE

five minutes into this and I love it :D

ButterTart and jivafox like this.
  11. ButterTart

ButterTart Drop dead cynical

Sinister scared the living shite out of me. I watched it in broad daylight during the Summer and had to have my front door open so I could hear people outside.
    No idea why it got to me as much as it did, I think the home videos really caught me off guard. And then the final (super cheap) jump scare right at the end pretty much finished me off.

jivafox likes this.
  12. ButterTart

I've never known anyone to watch it and not like it.

13. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

I’m watching VISITING HOURS

[​IMG]

I have a soft spot for slashers set in hospitals (it’s why Halloween 2 is sacrilegiously my favourite one) and this one hits all the right notes imo.

ButterTart likes this.
  14. ButterTart

I watched that on Netflix ages ago, can't remember too much about it mind. I tend to watch too many films in a short space of time and they all blur into one.

I'm rewatching Dream Home. Hong Kong REALLY coming for France's crown as the land of fucked-up slashers.

jivafox likes this.
  15. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

omg Dream Home is fantastic! I saw it at Frightfest years ago.

The vacuum cleaner death is fucking GRIM :D

Helen_S and ButterTart like this.
  16. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I enjoyed Deep Rising though it was VERY daft

Famke Janssen could have tried to look at least a LITTLE bit scared of the monsters!

*shoots gun*

*rolls eyes at the inconvenience*

*winks at love interest*

god bless the 90s

any fan of this should definitely watch The Relic. Similar in style but swap cruise liner with museum and it’s much darker and scarier.

ButterTart likes this.
  17. ButterTart

Rewatched Faceless again today because I couldn’t remember why I disliked it considering it’s French and violent.

Quickly reminded that it’s wall to wall misogynist and the villains get absolutely no comeuppance. That’s why.

18. COB

COB The Red Cyclone

A reminder that we're having a horror sync watch tonight at 9pm - I think anyone who's posted in this thread would enjoy it :disco:

ButterTart likes this.
  19. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I can't remember exactly but I seem to recall finding it quite slow and not especially horror related (though not hating it at all), and then suddenly there's that GHASTLY AS FUCK sequence out of nowhere towards the end. I don't know if it was as grim as I remembered or just because what came before was borderline gentle, but I've been wary of going back to it since :D

20. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I can't.

21. Raining On Me

This looks fun, but also a reminder that Happy Death Day was SO GOOD, and its sequel just as much I think, even though it fell completely under the radar.

COB and Ellie like this.
  22. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD HORROR FILM TO PAIR WITH SHROOMS?!?

ButterTart likes this.
  23. ButterTart

I've actually just downloaded (definitely legally, in case @dmlaw is watching :eyes: ) Bone Tomahawk since it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread.

I saw it in a list of the most disturbing films of all time earlier, and that basically means it's catnip for me. Men Behind the Sun and Flower of Flesh and Blood were both on there as well and I've happily sat through both of them more than once. A Serbian Film was inevitably mentioned and, as I said, I'm plucking up the courage for it. Salo was no. 1 and that's one of the only films I've ever found so repulsive that I've had to turn it off. Even then, I went back to it and watched the ending just to see if there was any brief glimmer of hope for the victims (was there fuck).

24. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

This montage sequence from the sequel :D

Raining On Me likes this.
  25. ButterTart

Thomas and the Magic Railroad.

26. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

[​IMG]

jivafox likes this.
  27. Raining On Me

I much prefer the supernatural to the ridiculously violent ones, although slasher films are fine, but it really does depend. As one of those exceptions I'd recommend an Australian film Hounds of Love

[​IMG]

Which IS violent including one god awful bit, but otherwise so well written and acted. The obvious focus is on the girl they've captured as the "main girl" but then there's a whole other story between the two killers and how one is stuck in this cycle of abuse and murder without trying to make you feel sorry for her.

28. Frozen

I ordered the BR of that this week (Arrow have a great sale on) after hearing good things. Looking forward to watching.

29. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I think I like it because it's a perfectly acceptable Western as well as a horror film. I can't imagine sitting in the cinema, with no pre-knowledge of what was coming, idly wondering why the film was an 18 certificate, when suddenly THAT happens.

30. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Session 9 was the last horror to scare me senseless, in times of Covid it just ramps up the tension from the beginning. It's on Netflix.

Another one to watch is L'interieur, unless you're pregnant, or recently had a baby, or considering having a baby. Horrifying right to the last scene.

31. ButterTart

I watched a l'interieur again a couple of days ago. I must have seen it a dozen times but it still shocks me how violent it actually is.

32. Suomi

Suomi User

Alone in the Dark from 1982 has some really scary scenes, the worst being when the man is standing in the kitchen and the girl is getting a drink. (EDIT: if you’ve seen it you’ll understand why this is so terrifying)

And my god when the woman is in bed and he’s underneath stabbing the knife through the mattress , I ran to my door and was ready to leave the house

ButterTart likes this.
  33. Suomi

Suomi User

This is probably one of the scariest scenes I’ve seen in a movie, I’m going to spoiler it below because it is NOT for the faint-hearted. I’m surprised it’s not included in more lists amongst the standard horror rundowns, because there’s something so subtle and nuanced about the way the man reacts to what is happening around him, it’s genuinely one of the best depictions of fear I’ve seen on film.

34. Frozen

Not necessarily horror (they've done a few but not every week) but you should all check out #BeyondFriday on Twitter. They watch a cult film every Friday night at 11.

35. ButterTart

Just iconic. So many identikit horror films from HollyWEIRD try to peddle this outdated notion that screaming and running are natural human reactions to intense fear. Troll 2 turns that on its head and dares the viewer to consider that REAL fear is sounding a bit perplexed while looking like Billy from Power Rangers.

Ellie and Suomi like this.
  36. Suomi

Suomi User

these are good funky, but my favourite Hitchcock is The Birds. If you haven’t seen it it’s about this woman who makes a few pet purchases she later goes on to regret.

VoR likes this.
  37. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I have seen it Su thanks for your recommendation :)

The Birds is not really regarded as one of the “Hitchcock Four” but it’s certainly the most mainstream alongside Psycho. I wasn’t expect it to be good as it was.

38. vespertine

vespertine God damn it Claude

I always thought The Birds was the start of Hitchcock's slump, and Christ if it doesn't take FOREVER to go anywhere...

39. ButterTart

I've started digging out all of my Christmas horror films because I've decided to do a ranking.

Raining On Me and jivafox like this.
  40. Cloud

Cloud Yiff Representative

Saw Hereditary last night, my VR friend picked it at random

That was some WEIRD SHIT to be watching just before bed :D

*clicks tongue*

ButterTart likes this.