House of Cards

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Jark, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jark

Jark campione

Netflix commissions first original drama

Starring Kevin Spacey and created by David Fincher no less! :o

2. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I didn't particularly like her in American Horror Story, but quite interested in this.

3. Jark

Jark campione

I actively hated her in AHS but maybe that was the character. She doesn't seem even remotely like her sister.

4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Yes, I had no idea watching AHS that it was Rooney's sister. I knew Rooney had an actor sister, but they don't seem alike at all. Kate was doing much better than Rooney until a couple of years ago by the looks of things.

5. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Yeah I found Kate really annoying in AHS and I don't just think it was the character. This however sounds good and Kevin Spacey is usually pretty reliable.

6. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Woooooo HOUSE OF CARDS

Has anyone else other than Donna seen the original?

7. Shirley

Shirley I BITE BECAUSE I LIKE IT

You MIGHT VERY WELL THINK THAT

8. Madison

I wonder how the story will be adapted for the US. Will their Urquhart be aiming to become president?

9. Jark

Jark campione

[​IMG]

New Netflix series premiering in February. It's adapted from the 90s BBC drama and stars Kevin Spacey as a "ruthless, murderous politician" and Robin Wright as his equally duplicitous wife. Also starring Kate Mara, and the first two episodes are directed by David Fincher.

I'm SPAFFING myself already and I will no doubt have to get Netflix again (and pay for it this time) to enjoy this delicious TREAT. Hopefully there'll be a trailer soon.

10. Jark

Jark campione

I forgot to mention - the whole series will go live in one go on Feb 1st :disco: and a second season has been commissioned already

11. Madison

12. Jark

Jark campione

Oh yes please. I forgot I'd made a thread already! I do have the original downloaded but I haven't had time to watch YET and I think I'd rather see this first.

13. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Oh i really hate Kate Mara. Purely because for like two seconds after i've seen her listed to be in something i get all excited because i think it's going to be a rare exhumation for:

[​IMG]

Which would be SO MUCH BETTER. In related news i now have the dvd of the original of this series and simply must get round to watching it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  14. COB

COB Kiss My Grits

"Leave the girl - it's the MAN I want" :disco:

15. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

A shame they can't really bring this into whatever this decade is called and have Zac Efron take on the role of Mattie. They wouldn't even need to change the character's name.

I hope NO ONE in this gets to call Kevin Spacey "daddy" though. What a vile thought.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I watched the first season of the original the other night and it's very enjoyable. I really hope they keep the humour and talking to the camera bit and not end up being too cold.

17. Madison

Don't get your hopes up about the other two original series - they're not nearly as thrilling.

18. Phoenix

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n6wytrQo-UE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks good but a lot darker than the original.

19. Jark

Jark campione

Yay!!! :disco:

20. Madison

It's out :disco:

21. Phoenix

Did you watch it Madison? The first episode is pretty good, very similar in tone to the original but I enjoyed the way they expanded the wife and all the other peripheral characters. The guy playing Russo is very cute.

22. Madison

I did. I'm through most of the series.

It's good, but it's awfully slow. The plot barely moves forward in some episodes. I much prefer the BBC pacing.

23. Jark

Jark campione

AMAZING!

I blasted through the whole thing over the weekend. I don't even know where to begin, and don't want to get too spoilery. Needless to say Spacey and Wright are amazing. Fincher's flawless direction is well maintained after the other directors come on board. For me although the politics side of thing is mostly interesting (except for the teacher's union plot), the relationships are what this show is all about. I LOVE the dynamic between Francis and Claire.

There's also a fabulous scene involving Claire and a man dying in hospital. It was quite something. :D

24. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

i've finally started watching this and halfway through it's essential viewing - hypnotically dark and cold, the direction and cinematography are gorgeous. it's all about the underwoods obviously, like said above their dynamic is amazing and i quite like their relationship though it is meant to look somewhat loveless and calculating.

i don't care much about peter and i downright hate zoe but their storylines are quite interesting as well.

25. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

just saw the last episodes.

i loved them.

i truly enjoy the moral and ethical ambivalence of all the characters, the excellent portrayal of manipulation/behind the scenes affiliances and all the the conflicts it presents both personal and ideological (claire vs gillian was a highlight) are good stuff.

bring on season two.

26. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Netflix have renewed this for a 3rd season! YAY

27. funky

funky FIRE AND BLOOD

I just started this and it's VERY GOOD. Reminds me of Damages. Although it'll have to go a long way to better THAT

28. Jark

Jark campione

29. Madison

Series 2 is out

30. Steptacular

Steptacular User

The shock in episode 1 was just :o

31. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Probably not a shock for anyone who's seen the BBC version, only that it was at the the start of this series and not the end of the last one. I missed the cry of "daddy".

I'm only on episode 1, but is deleting your messages and contacts from your iPhone really mean they're gone for good? If I delete things on my iPhone they still appear on my old phone and my iPad.

Kevin Spacey is generally repulsive and is playing to his strengths but Robin Wright is really quite astonishing in this. She thoroughly deserved her Golden Globe.

Episode 3 casting OMG: Joan Holloway-Harris's rapist doctor husband!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  32. Steptacular

Steptacular User

The threesome! :disco:

33. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

5 episodes yesterday and 8 today. I am mentally exhausted. Spending so much time with someone so unpleasant made me want to have a shower.

This seemed to go much quicker than the first one, but the saturation of plotting and scheming got to a point where I thought that POTUS couldn't be so stupid to fall for it all again.

- Doug Stamper is such a DILF
    - as is Ben Daniels
    - Jodie Foster!
    - the aforementioned 3some
    - the other 3some

I'm hoping the third season will be the final one, and will be very curious to see if it follows the BBC version and finishes with
    Claire arranging the assassination of Francis
    which would be logical as Claire's role has been really beefed up for this.

34. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I get the feeling that's where it's headed. I was discussing it with a friend the other day and basically concluded that would be the only logical way for it to end, really. Overall I definitely preferred S2. It felt like the stakes were less high perhaps, but I put that down to knowing where it would end and also being more familiar with the tactics/style of the show.

Claire was sensational this time, especially in that interview. I loved how she went from a few seconds of confusion, to such a cold and calculated response yet having them eating out of her hand. Her little ''you needed that'' the morning after the threesome was perhaps my favourite moment all season, it was so simple but just highlighted why I love the character so much.

I also love Francis too, even though obviously he is a complete and utter cunt, but he's just so damn charismatic. His ''IF I WERE PRESIDENT'' speech in the final episode was wonderful. That's what makes HoC so much better than a lot of other shows for me, that would have been totally expository in most other shows, but in this it felt like he was genuinely laying his plan out for this guy and we just happened to witness it. That and the fact the music and general production values seemed to have been upped between seasons to make it look (and sound) absolutely fantastic.

POTUS is a bloody FOOL. The actor was also really hard to imagine ever having been elected too, he just looked weak/ineffectual from the off.

35. Steptacular

Steptacular User

The second series really is better, I was watching it at a rate that I only did previously with Breaking Bad. The third season should definitely be the last now he's President, it'd be a perfect run.

36. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I'm 5 episodes into season one and LOVE THIS.

Can't wait for this to really COME UNDONE.

37. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

just finished season two. very good, at least on a par with season one. i'm glad they got rid of one annoying little girl but did they have to bring another?

wright is absolutely perfect. i love the way she plays claire who has to be the best dressed tv character ever. killer. between her and julianna margulies i don't know who will get the awards next season.

i really hate remy btw. awful character and i didn't care for the actor either.

the hacker was also a bit annoying. everything else - jackie, feng, tusk, the new journo, the first lady, was excellent. is season three coming next year? ugh! that's the thing with watching a whole season in a week.

38. Krust

Krust User

Watched season 2 over the weekend, it suffered the same problem as season 1 with terrible pacing over the course of a season. That said, the show remains so watchable because of Spacey and even more because of Wright who is a godess in that role.

I really hope they end the show after series 3, this is not a show that needs to be stretched out more.
    Was this really the end of Doug? I will miss the pervy relationship between him and Rachel.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  39. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Four weeks tomorrow.

Season 3.

40. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Can't wait. Season 2 was equally as brilliant as 1. Spacey and Wright are just BEYOND.