House of Cards

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Jark, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jark

Jark User

[​IMG]

2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Two episodes in and I'm loving it.

Highlights:

Doug Stamper naked. How on earth did he keep that hot daddy gym body after however long in a coma and rehab? I'm glad he's alive, but the syringe stuff is freaky.
    The post jogging sex scene was also freaky. It was like Kevin was having a cry wank but with Claire's vagina in place of his hand.

And watching with the subtitles on as I'm prone to do, I was AGOG at the reference to Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Whenever I've heard it said I always heard it as Franklin (an)d Eleanor Roosevelt.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

That was a bit of a slog and I'm glad I did it over one weekend not to avoid any spoilers.

Poor Rachel. I really wanted her to have a happy ending and was hoping the women in that refuge or wherever she was staying might be involved in some plot to kill Stamper and dispose of the body and swear an oath of silence, but sadly not.
    And poor Meecham. After last season's 3some with the Underwood he gets barely one line an episode.
    Heather Dunbar for President please. Or at least Prime Minister here. I'd vote for her, abortion secrets and all.
    I really thought it was going to conclude the way the BBC trilogy finished, with Claire finishing Francis off. Not by a sniper but some other way. Maybe throwing the egg at his temple and causing a non bruising haemorrhage that could be passed off as stress related or something. A bit of an anti climax to end it on, but Robin Wright remains the best thing about it all.
    The Russia/Jordan Valley stuff all got quite dull and having never heard Pussy Riot before I was amazed they're just a Soviet Shampoo.
    The novelist/biographer with the Gone Girl journalist could have been better written.
    Kevin Spacey really is great at playing repulsive creepy characters you would hate to be left alone with. Or he's just a repulsive and creepy actor you'd hate to be left alone with.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Ryan

Ryan User

I managed to get 3 episodes done over the weekend and it's off to a FANTASTIC start. I can't see myself getting another chance to watch any more until next Sunday so I hope that the internet can keep spoilers to a minimum!

5. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

It's SO hard to avoid spoilers, I'm only on episode 7 so far but episode 6 was INCREDIBLE, Robin is bringing it so hard this time round. I'm getting the sense this one won't be ending like I had envisaged (and hoped) though.

6. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

i'm binge watching. just finished episode 4 and going strong.

7. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Just got one episode left and I don't really know where it's going to end this time, which is nice. Easily the best season for me, Petrov was finally a proper sparring partner for Frank and the ups and downs (and downs) of their plans, especially Clare, have been riveting to watch.

8. ameraal

i'm halfway through episode 11 but it's started dawning on me that it'll be another year with nada (if it gets renewed at all).

it's been great for all the reasons johnkm mentioned but i'm also loving dunbar and especially jackie - i find her character very interesting and she gets caught up in fascinating "dynamics" and while she sometimes goes off into a weird stare she's done a couple of really great scenes.

9. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

This is so vague it barely needs to be spoilered, but if you are concerned then please feel free not to read beyond this line.

Well, having now finished it there HAS to be more. The final episode was so unexpected, well until about 20 minutes in anyway. But not so much plot wise, more in terms of the way the characters played out and the intensity of the scenes and quality of the acting. It is definitely a lowkey ending for a season, but it has me far more excited for more than either of the previous season ends. Robin Wright brought it SO DAMN HARD this season in general, Kevin was great as ever but I agree that props need to go to Jackie and Heather, especially for the debate scene.

10. ameraal

just finished the final episode. oh my days, i saw it coming but i didn't quite think it was possible for it to happen.

i didn't care much for the b plot but it also played out nicely. i'll know to hide in a bush asap if i'm ever in a similar situation.

great season, i just can't believe we'll have to wait a whole year for more. is it possible it won't get renewed? considering it's been about the two of mains it can be seen as the end of the story.

11. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

They usually announce a renewal before the next season airs, so there is a chance it might not be back, but I can't imagine they'd leave it THERE. I think the main issue if $$$, they had problems getting the tax refunds with S3, so maybe they want to have it all firmly in place before announcing any more.

12. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

And today we have an official announcement: Season 4 next year :disco:

13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It's back! It's literally back TODAY!

14. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

From the reviews I've read it sounds like it's going to be even more SOAPY and RIDICULOUS too.

Plus Netflix announced S5 a few weeks back too, so no trying to work out if the threads are coming together for a series finale or not this time.

15. ameraal

i haz started this.

neve campbell! ellen burnstyn! cicely tyson.

the first episode was a bit
    meh to be honest. everything felt a tad perfunctory and inconsequential. watching it in the midst of me catching up with "the west wing" feels a bit strange too.

16. ameraal

this does not include the outfits. some pretty tight tailoring is going on there.

17. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Taken aback that Cicely Tyson is NINETY ONE

I mean fucking hell, she really takes BLACK DON'T CRACK to NEW LEVELS

[​IMG]

18. ameraal

i'm proper binging and this has really picked up midway with the appearance of the competition.

back to its twists and turns and schemes and i love watching the underwoods simultaneously screwing people over to further their own interests. they are a truly awful couple and as preposterous as the set up is this time around (i mean really, claire?), it makes for good tv.

neve campbell is looking so good. i love her involvement though i hope she explodes at some point.

the stylist has done an impeccable job on all the women really.

19. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Well I enjoyed that.

It really is sad to think that the best the real life Democrats can do is Hillary and the old man whereas in fiction they have Heather Dunbar and Catherine Durant.

The Joel Kinnerman character could have done with a more charismatic actor and the Keira Knightley lookielikey was better than expected - she's Irish apparently.

I wish they'd got Carrie Mathison in to sort out the final storyline, although she'd probably have solved it before it could reach that denoument. Bits put me in mind of Silence Of The Lambs and I wanted Claire to instruct "take this THING back to Baltimore" during the scene in the cellar.

I didn't like the final scene and the moral message. I want a final season now, and I want that cunt in jail.

20. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Watch her in motion and she has the posture and gait of an octogenarian, as anyone would expect.

21. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Conway is such a RILF :disco:

22. ameraal

ikr? i'd not say no to sitting on his entitled precious little face.

anyway, it all went tits up at the end didn't it. pretty gripping stuff. i'm not sure what i'd like for the underwoods - i have a morbid fascination with them and i think it's the most interesting thing about the show - at times you actually catch yourself rooting for a pair of truly awful, ruthless people.

sidebar: i hate jackie.

23. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh I've ALWAYS rooted for them, the very final scene was so perfect to sum up the season and where things lay for both of them now, you knew it was coming the way it was framed with the zoom up but it was still AMAZING :disco:

I really, really, enjoyed the season overall. Much tighter than season 3 and as always the Underwood's work best when there is the idea they could lose (which there certainly is with the Conway's and now the whole messy past being made public THING). It was even more over the top than ever, the whole DNC episode was pure circus, but that final scene with them triumphant (knowing this was about as good as it's ever going to get) was my favourite scene of the season. Like I say, I've always rooted for them even if they are EVIL, or perhaps because, so it was great.

Also, whoever was styling och consulting for Ms. Wright and Ms. Campbell deserves both a raise and several hundred awards because they looked FAB at every point. Plus Robin probably deserves something for the death scene in episode 10 too, it was beautifully handled/acted. Oh and last but not least, poor Meacham.

24. Blake

Blake User

Season 5 out May 30th.

25. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Quite excited about this

Neve Campbell is back as is Joel Kinnerman and his wife with the unconvincing generic English accent. Academy Award nominee Patricia Clarkson makes her debut, as does Campbell Scott who looks like he's getting racy with Spacey in the trailer.

C├ęcile likes this.
  26. ameraal

this is out. just as i thought i was out of shit to waste my time on :evil:

27. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I'm three episodes in and loving it so far. Obviously can't SAY MUCH cause of SPOILER CITY, but it really is building up nicely.

I'd let Conway RUIN ME as well.

28. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Is this confirmed to be the last season? I only finished S4 last night and as entertainingly silly as it is, it does feel like it should be wrapping up. I can't imagine another 3-4 seasons without it getting very stale and/or totally jumping the shark.

29. Sheena

I haven't read anything about Series 5 being the last. It IS silly, of course, but there's still a massive potential story arc with Claire taking the reins that they could have (I haven't seen end of Series 5, so not a spoiler there if it already happens etc. etc.) that would definitely be interesting and worthwhile viewing...

30. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Some more random Season 4 observations because why not

Watching the whole 'IKO' plotline post Trump was... unsettling.

I really hate Doug Stamper and wish he'd just die already. I also totally don't get some of the 'Daddy' comments in here - he's utterly repulsive.

I was excited to see Neve Campbell, but disappointed that they didn't really give her anything to do. I was really hoping they were building towards her having an Amy from Veep style meltdown at some point.

31. Sheena

This. On both counts. His character now seems totally redundant and it's almost as if he's kept on for past glories, as pivotal as he was early on- which is weird as HoC seems to have a habit of chucking out seemingly important characters, which I quite like...

I feel the same way. She's been wasted so far.

ZZ likes this.
  32. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Up to episode 5 and it feels more of a slog than before and everything is so unrealistic, from the location of the IKO IKO fanatic to Valerie Cherish's husband's hacking. I appreciated the VP telling Claire she was missing and N and T from her initials and Kinnerman's wife's home counties accent is getting on my nerves.

After her star turn in Homeland I want Heather Dunbar to return.

33. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

With 3 (I think) episodes left this hasn't been the best series but is getting good. Patricia Clarkson's performance is either one of the worst things I've ever seen in a major tv show or she's brilliant.

And my love for Catherine Durant knows no bounds, she's like a Southern Belle Emily Thornberry without the contempt for her people.

34. Sheena

Catherine Durant is woefully underused so far this series. She's the best thing outside the leads...

35. ameraal

this really has to be seen in one go, doesn't it? started 5 yesterday and passed the halfway mark. clarkson made her debut and i am quite curious to where it goes with her.

it's become a bit difficult watching the show on a personal level because the underwoods remind me of stuff. i totally dreamt a whole lof of rubbish because of it last night.

36. Suedey

Suedey CRAVE

UMMM

How did it take me so long to discover this?!?!?! !

Binge watching and just finished series 3

Robin Wright SLAYS MY EXISTENCE

37. Suedey

Suedey CRAVE

I can't with this queen sometimes.

[​IMG]

38. ameraal

she reminds of my mother. well a heavily stylized hollywood version of my mother.

Suedey likes this.
  39. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

Binged watched the whole of series 5 Sunday and yesterday and it really was very very good and I do hope there is a series 6 on the way.
    Absolutely hate the Underwoods, but that means that both leads play them well (although Kevin Spacey's face and voice always brings emotions of hate inside me).
    The Patricia Clarkson character was very interesting and I want more more MORE!

40. cwej

cwej User

I really enjoyed the first season and a half of this, but then I lost interest. I'm amazed it's still running. American TV shows really need to be written with a 3 or 4 season plan in mind and stick to it.