House of Cards

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Jark, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ZZ

ZZ staring at you

Judging by the way HoC has played out so far, I think there was a certain plan they followed throughout these 5 series.

2. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Did anyone else bother with the final, Robin Wright-led season then?

It was an absolute hot mess, but I kind of think it might have been the most purely enjoyable season since the first one? By this point I'd long since accepted that she show had absolutely no grounding in the real world and was basically Desperate Housewives - White House Edition, and on that level I found it pretty diverting, and far less draggy than the other seasons thanks to the shorter episode order.

What on earth was the point of it all? So many plots just went nowhere.

I audibly cackled with joy when they revealed Cathy Durant had faked her own death :D. But to what end? She does nothing and three episodes later they just kill her anyway.

Same with Patricia Clarkson's character. I loved watching her because she was camping it up to the max, but I had no idea what her motivations or loyalties were at all, and again, when they just unceremoniously killed her off it just felt like kind of an anticlimax.

The whole season long arc with Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear went... nowhere? I was living for her dramatic political manoeuvring sleeves and the scenes between her and Wright had good tension, but what was it all FOR when they don't even get brought down at the end?

Two big highlights from that though:

1. The casual team meeting about how and when they're going to assassinate the President of the United States. :D

2. "You fucking cunt. It's a GIRL!" :D

I still hate hate hate Doug Stamper and it couldn't have been more obvious that they basically crowbarred him into a version of Kevin Spacey's intended arc. I can't believe anyone ever considered him a character worthy of a Better Call Saul-esque spin-off. Thank God THAT idea is presumably now dead and buried.

The pregnancy made NO sense. HOW? I assumed it was going to turn out to be Tom Yates', but apparently not? Did she steal Francis' sperm or something? Or does she have the gestation period of an elephant? When are they last supposed to have had sex when he's been dead for over 3 months when the story fucking OPENS and it doesn't get revealed until a significant chunk of in-season time must surely have passed?

Not sure turning Claire into a full on supervillain is the way I would have gone, but fuck it. At least Wright got to camp it up a bit.

SDF likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan User

I absolutely HATED the most recent season. I agree that the show has been ridiculous for a while but this was another level of ridiculous and yet simultaneously utterly boring and pointless throughout.

4. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Robin's had some SERIOUS work done face wise for Series 6 :disco:

5. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I’m just catching up on season 6. It’s totally ridiculous but Robin Wright really is stellar.

6. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

What a bloody frustrating ending to the show :angry:

7. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Finally got around to finishing this- and pretty much agree with @VoR again. It was hugely enjoyable, but very, very silly. I know realism left the show a long time ago, but by god this was ludicrous.

For me, the best bit of the season was the introduction of Diane Lane. They didn't need to kill of either Clarkson or Cathy Durant, both of whom were able foes for Claire, but what this made me realise was Diane vs Claire was basically just Dynasty. Some of the campy lines, the bitch vs bitch...it was just deliciously played by both of them, who clearly bounced off each other brilliant. And, of course, "You fucking cunt, it's a girl" was not only the highlight of the series, but perhaps the ENTIRE show ever. What a line by what a character by what an actress. :disco:

SDF likes this.