How do you solve a problem like China?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ag

Ag User

Obviously since messing with Hong Kong's sovereignty they are day by day becoming the media and various governments new big bad boy.

I do suspect they've made a power grab under the shadow of coronavirus, which does raise my suspicions(!). Fuck knows if this is the start of something else or even a continuation. Obviously there's also the alleged Muslim camps in Western China.

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but my brother lives there.

2. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

There’s not much to solve, the West has to accept the fact that China as a superpower is here to stay. What we could do is too keep them out of buying our companies, especially now post-Corona, but I think the EU are already going down the protectionist route to prevent China (and Russia), which I guess is good.

If the war on terrorism and the financial crisis brought the West to its knees, it feels like the Corona crisis has decapitated it.

3. Ag

Ag User

Oh I know. The Chinese rise to domination has been half a century in the making. Nice governments don't make good superpowers.

4. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Exactly. And so while the West is rotting from the inside, it won’t be able to stop China.

On the other hand, up until the 80’s Japan seemed unstoppable, then in the 90’s it stagnated. Same thing might happen to China. Japan was however never a military power, China is.

5. Mats

Mats User

yeah, Japan in modern times was only ever an economic superpower. its geopolitical significance has always been puppeteered by the US, thus not a contender in the sense that China has become. Abe is trying to amend the constitution which would allow them to re-militarize but still no luck

6. Mats

Mats User

China is a creepy superpower. the images from the indoctrination camps in particular are chilling. I don't think it can be "solved" but I do hope the EU will be able to hold its stance, despite rather aggressive diplomacy as seen in both Sweden and Denmark and no doubt other European countries too

Ag likes this.