How do you solve a problem like Shamima Begum?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Slave, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Should Shamima Begum be allowed to return to the UK

1. Yes

47.8%
  2. No

39.1%
  3. Other (please state)

13.0%
  1. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

Of course, it wouldn't be funny if it was real.

Pathetic to strip her of citizenship, what a fucking cop out. Who else is this going to happen to? Anyone the government just doesn't like?

2. octophone

A UK passport won't be worth a fuck in 6 weeks time anyway so no loss to her, all in.

3. Rita

Rita User

Am I the only one that thinks that this doesn’t quite ring true? Could this be a ploy to get her back to the UK without the hate mob baying for blood? It just seems so strange to me.

4. octophone

The letter looks fake. It;s also potentially illegal. Not that the UK Government give a shit about that.

There's an argument that she's basically a victim of grooming. So what message are they sending with this? That they will always appease the far-right of the Conservative party? That threatening violence works?

5. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

The letter looks the same as the others I've seen.

6. Slave

Slave User

I think that is one of the limitations of Prevent - we teach that people are vulnerable and we should be trying to protect them from IS, educating them, etc...but if that fails the discourse seems to switch to them being a lost cause and we strip them of their citizenship.

There has to be something between vulnerable victim and evil extremist. And this does seem to send the message that it's a one-way street with no middle ground.

7. octophone

That's exactly it. Our culture now has only YES and NO, hero and villain, no nuance, no shading, no balance.

You'd almost think the country had, I dunno, divided itself over a yes/no referendum or something.

Shirley, Alex and Ellie like this.
  8. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Oh are we really not going to sort our own shit out then? How ill judged

I’m not sure why I’m surprised mind you

9. cwej

cwej User

I don't understand why we should be allowed to revoke her citizenship even if she does have dual nationality. Bangladesh don't want her either - and she's neither lived there nor visited there. As usual, the British trying to not claim the naughty Muslim girl as their own even though she was brought up in our country, speaks our language, went to our schools and it is OUR nation that failed to keep her on the straight and narrow - not Bangladesh.

She should be brought back here and we should try her for whatever crime it is she's committed.

Having said all that, I can't remember seeing a more misjudged media interview than the one she gave this week. I went in with an open mind and by the end of the interview hated her as much as the right-wing loons. She needs a media advisor pronto.

Dark Carnival likes this.
  10. ameraal

ameraal trash

why? so she can seem otherwise than what she is? if anything we need less media advisors in this awful constructed reality tv program life is turning into.

Diddy, Beverley and BoysForSeles like this.
  11. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

She still believes in a sick and backwards ideology, so no.

12. big ron

big ron MOD

So I'm no chemtrail conspiracy weirdo BUT I found this whole thing a bit odd and staged, and then someone I know who IS a chemtrail conspiracy weirdo pointed out that exactly the same thing is going on in Canada and the US at exactly the same time, in the same style.

I thought the way Shamima's story came out and was covered very odd but then to find there are two other stories seemingly coordinated? Fishy. (Or am I just eating to much weed cake?)

Beverley likes this.
  13. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I got the feeling @cwej wasn't being ENTIRELY serious... :D

14. Slave

Slave User

Initially people were praising the interviewer who tracked her down for his bravery. But now she’s giving interviews left, right and centre and no-one seems to be under much threat.

I figured that someone in the depths of IS wouldn’t just be able to invite ITV News in for tea and sympathy.

15. cwej

cwej User

Semi-serious.

I didn't really mean a media advisor. I meant a legal advisor just like all criminals should have. She needs someone to help her make a narrative that actually makes sense. She's now saying things like 'I got tricked', 'I didn't understand what Islam was'... which a few days ago she wasn't saying. She's being led by journalists in ways that a 19-year-old girl shouldn't be. I'm not excusing her, but she really shouldn't be speaking to people without some kind of advice first.

Anyway, the fact remains she's an absolute cock.

16. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Thank god Max Clifford is dead

She'd be on the cover of Heat magazine in no time

17. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I see she thinks that she can get a Dutch passport through her husband. I'll tell you one thing, if this bitch ends up with EU citizenship after Brexit when I don't then I am seriously going to lose my shit.

octophone, lolly, cwej and 3 others like this.
  18. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I think the logical answer to this would be that it's all going tits up for IS, and a bunch of people are now trying to split. I would imagine it's possible that when one journalist finds a refugee camp full of IS defectors, it wouldn't take long for a bunch of other journos to descend.

That said, fully open to the possibility that the lizard people are behind this. Can we be sure it's not CROOKED HILLARY under that headscarf, plotting her next paedo pizza party in England's green and pleasant lands? I think not.

Mugatu likes this.
  19. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Apparently her baby has died. :(

What a horrible, ugly, depressing story on every conceivable level.

20. Rita

Rita User

That is utterly heartbreaking. The poor child had no choice of what World it was born in to. :(