Humans have 12 years to curb climate change catastophe, U.N. warns

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by vespertine, Oct 11, 2018.

1. vespertine

vespertine A kind of fever chart

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html

"Quite a shock"? To whom? We've known for at least two decades at this point, and have collectively done very little.

KindaCool and jivafox like this.
  2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

wurst likes this.
  3. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

i WISH it could hurry, if they told me being alive was so expensive and quite a chore I would have drowned myself in the middle of my baptism :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Lucille and KindaCool like this.
  4. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Have any of you seen the GOP candidate who says that global warming has been caused by body heat? That;s what we're up against, folks...

5. Rita

Rita User

I am very naive to all of this. Is this scaremongering?

6. Jark

Jark User

What, the UN report? No. It's the truth. Not that we will all drop dead in 2030 if targets aren't met and exceeded but in the years after that the ice will melt completely, some species will die out and the population will definitely decrease. Some places will become too hot to inhabit.

The sad thing is that while it absolutely is possible to get a handle on climate change, the will just isn't there - not politically, where commercial interests still dictate policy on fossil fuel, and not among ordinary people either. So many people I know don't give a fuck about the planet, don't see the threat as real, can't even be arsed to recycle properly.

The only way out of this is for the governments of the world to work together and make the climate their shared ultimate priority, educate people about meat, dairy and trash, invest only in renewables and sustainable energy, and say no to big business even if it means losing out on the money that comes with being in the pockets of companies like Shell.

But it will never happen. So we're all fucked.

Rita likes this.
  7. Rita

Rita User

I find it all incredibly sad. :(

8. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

My inner skeptic (which isn't so inner these days) says how much do you wanna bet that oil companies WANT to fuck the planet up the ass and are already in the process of manufacturing gas masks, protective suits and oxygen by the bottle and selling them to the helpless masses?

9. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

We're fucked. Especially while that thick cunt is running the US.

KindaCool likes this.
  10. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

There is absolutely no reason why Governments still pander to the big oil companies other than the fact that they make a lot of money from them. I've been long lamenting our Government's insistence that we must start fracking, continuing our reliance on fossil fuels. Why not use wind and water/wave power? We're an island with choppy water all around us and our weather is ideal for wind power. I believe the reason is that all of our current infrastructure for delivery of gas and electricity would need a massive overhaul and the big power companies want to keep their profits in the pockets of shareholders as they've done since nationalisation. Spending on updating their systems has been woefully inadequate and, just like the water companies, they wait until something needs repairing before attending to it. Solar panels are hit and miss, the ones available aren't reliable and we don't have much sun in Bolton.

I'd happily drive an electric car but they're currently too expensive and there aren't enough charging points locally. I can't very well have an electric wire coming through the letterbox to charge my car overnight.

We're all doomed.

SDF, Beverley, Jark and 1 other person like this.
  11. vespertine

vespertine A kind of fever chart

Scientists have been unanimous in that we've passed the point of no return of no damage (evidenced by carbon dioxide moving over 400ppm, or half the world being on fire this summer): our best bet, according to them, is to try and slow the progress and prevent some of the worst scenarios. But as pointed out, it requires drastic change in our quotidian lives and humans aren't exactly the BEST AT THAT.

12. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Because oil and utility companies hold countries by the balls. It's high class blackmail. They'll drag the dollar into the ground if they're threatened. And that's the ONLY thing that counts. Their manufacturing and their exports is what runs the show. They're the ones who lobby for political campaigns. ESPECIALLY in countries like the USA, who have the most to lose. The more prosperous a country is, the MORE they have rely on these companies for their global position.

Practically speaking, you're correct. There IS no reason why renewable energy couldn't be used. But practicality has no say against the power of money. And as power becomes more and more centralized, global control crystallizes into the hands of a select few.

Goethe said it best: "Freedom has to be re-made and re-earned in every generation".

Jark likes this.
  13. big ron

big ron MOD

Yep, we've already fucked it, we're now working to mitigate the damage, but we can't stop it.

This is a fascinating watch. Its a Vice documentary on some of the measures we're trying:

https://www1.1movies.is/series/vice-season-6/112274/154551-watch-online-free.html

14. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think the David Attenborough quote 'anyone who believes in infinite growth on a finite planet is either a madman or an economist' always summed things up nicely.

octophone likes this.
  15. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

not democratic libtards thinking they can save the planet by recycling plastic and putting a tax on flying :D

less than 12% of the green house effect is caused by this ^

more than 60% of the green house effect is caused by eating animals and animal products

will the human species stop eating and consuming their fellow species within the coming decades? no

does the human feces even know that consuming their fellow species is what's going to be the end of them? no, not when the elites live lavishly off their animal-products addiction

should we be happy the world is finally coming to an end? yes :disco: someone play Femme Fatale's opening track plz

at least we can say we lived through the Blackout era. :disco:

/endthread

16. Jark

Jark User

trust J-Snow to make the discussion a little more LOW BROW

12% is not nothing. It's very significant. And your figures are questionable. There is no agreed figure on what percentage of the greenhouse effect is caused by meat production. Obviously it's a lot - I don't believe we all need to stop but everybody does need to drastically cut down, especially now that meat alternatives are getting quite advanced, are cheap to produce and also taste good.

17. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  18. Jark

Jark User

Let's be real, every government (including liberal nations across the Western world) is highly complicit here. The current US stance is barely even a drop in the ocean. Even the goals being set by the likes of the Paris Accord are laughable and always weirdly unambitious given the immediate nature of the threat. Car makers promise that 50% of the cars they sell will be zero-emissions by 2030 - twelve fucking years from now, and only half will be electric?! The technology is there RIGHT NOW. The only barrier is governments' refusal to invest properly in the infrastructure. It's pathetic.

Nobody REALLY wants to stop climate change because humanity has become inherently self absorbed and we can't see beyond our own lifetimes.

19. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I say why bother, it's a desperate case when we still have cunts arguing whether climate change is real or not. Governments/businesses/you name it will use some ropy scientific "fact" to prove something yet the ONE time 97% of scientific publications actually agree on something we argue whether it's true or not.

20. Mats

Mats User

too little, too late it seems. rather than fighting climate change it’s probably about time clever people try to come up with solutions for the effects of climate change instead, there’s no curbing it

21. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'd never heard that before. It's perfect, isn't it?

22. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

This sort of thing keeps me up at night

But I can’t help but feel a little bit HELPLESS.

The government really need to take action and I wholly agree on the fracking point made earlier. Talk about burying your head in your hands

23. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Can these solutions be only for people who actually believe in climate change and are willing to do something about it? Like you have to sign up for it. I don't want to save any cunts.

Kate likes this.
  24. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

IT'S J-SNOW, BITCH!

25. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

Sacrifice them to the SUN GOD.