Iguana rates every song by The Saturdays (updated with LIVING FOR THE WEEKEND)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Iguana, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’ve been reading, I watched that medley twice and I’ve had various Sats moments in my head all day :disco:

they really did make a little go a long way didnt they?

Iguana likes this.
  2. Iguana

Iguana How much longer til you completely absolve me?

This is now officially the subheading of this thread (in my head)!

Diddy likes this.
  3. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I suppose it was good timing for them, just like Atomic Kitten basked in a bit of a post-SG afterglow, The Sats did post-GA.

I wish nobody had pointed out that their original logo somewhat highlights the word TURD

4. POP!

POP! FREE BRITNEY

[​IMG]

dUb, Iguana and Tisch like this.
  5. Iguana

I will continue it I PROMISE! :emoji_kissing_closed_eyes::emoji_kissing_closed_eyes:

POP! likes this.
  6. Iguana

Headlines b-sides

08 Ready To Rise - pretty good, the verses are great but the chorus is a tad weak. Wouldn't have minded this being on the album
    06 Had It With Today - this one is more b-side-y (sorry to @Kalabaliken in his absence). Doesn't really go anywhere and the verses are a bit WORDY

7. Iguana

On Your Radar (2011)

[​IMG]

UK album chart: 23 :gross:

:emoji_dizzy: 11 All Fired Up
    - well this one is obviously stun gorge. Such a banger and deserved to be huge. It's quite sophisticated really but retains that poppy edge.

09 Notorious - I wasn't sure about this when it came out but I've since seen the error of my ways. Very catchy, actually it has a bit of a If U Seek Amy vibe in parts, but gives a bit more than that song. I'm the BIG BOSS indeed.

10 Faster - What a great song. A real bittersweet banger. The pace of this album is pleasingly relentless so far.

07 My Heart Takes Over - ah, and there goes the pacing out the window. This is a nice ballad, it's not my fave, but it's relatively respectable. The chorus is a tiny bit weak until the "This is where my heart takes over" hook.

10 Get Ready, Get Set - This one is amazing. I've never really noticed it before! Quite EUPHORIC.

04 The Way You Watch Me - Oh this is forgettable tat. Actually quite ANNOYING and it doesn't fit with the sound of the preceding songs at all. NEXT!

07 For Myself - This is better, nice chorus. A little forgettable other than the "Walk away, walk away" hook but not a bad effort.

06 Do What You Want With Me - Pleasant enough. Kind of passed me by and I can't think of anything to say about it

07 Promise Me - This has a bit of life to it. Quite a catchy chorus but doesn't exactly shatter the earth. I think they definitely picked the right first two singles...

09 Wish I Didn't Know - Ooh now this is more like it! Feels a bit more like a Headlines song. The album needed this lift at this point and it does the job well.

09 White Lies - Yes! I love these sort of songs from them. Again it could fit onto Headlines. Enjoying the synth hits and it's got a number of hooks - most the middle tracks just have one hook and then just hope for the best.

05 Last Call - Hmm not sold on this one. The verses are pleasant but the chorus is quite SHOUTY and not in the most pleasant way. It's a not-as-good My Heart Takes Over.

07 I Say Okay - WELL that chorus really jumps out at you from nowhere does it? It's a bit of pure CHEESE this one, but it does bang a bit. The album is sort of starting to feel a bit LONG by this point.

08 Move On You - Picks up for the end. Bit of an odd closer, but this is a solid track. I like the juttery vocals and it's got a feel that reminds me a little of Kylie's Can't Beat The Feeling.

Overall, it's a step towards the generic with some good singles and 3 or 4 other stand-outs. The rest of a bit basic and not much stands out.

Average score: 7.14

Biggest keepers:

All Fired Up

Faster

Get Ready, Get Set

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    BoysForSeles and dUb like this.
  8. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Oh you’re deffo making that deadline! I’d say On Your Radar is my favourite album of theirs. That sounds like higher praise than it probably actually is. Get Ready Get Set and White Lies are great, could easily have been singles. Do What You Want With Me is probably my favourite track of theirs but yeah, it probably takes a few listens.

Iguana likes this.
  9. Iguana

Ooh I will listen to DWYWWM again then because I've found our tastes are usually quite similar, so I don't want to miss out on a classic. I think my interest wandered a little by that point so I need to listen to it in isolation.

Agreed that either GRGS or White Lies could have been singles, although in all probability they wouldn't have done much :(

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  10. Iguana

Also realised I called White Lies "White Lines" which sounds more like something @Jark would like - corrected!

Jark and BoysForSeles like this.
  11. RJN

RJN User

I need to relisten (I haven't listened to any of their albums since about 2016 probably) but Faster is such a 10

Iguana likes this.
  12. Iguana

It's really great! It wasn't a single was it? I think I'd have plumped for that one as first choice if there was going to be a further single

13. RJN

RJN User

No, the only singles were Notorious, All Fired Up, and My Heart Takes Over. I think if I was in charge of choosing, I would have gone
    1. All Fired Up
    2. Faster
    3. My Heart Takes Over (unless there was a better ballad I forgot)

I liked Notorious but it was an odd single choice.

Iguana likes this.
  14. Iguana

I feel like it was more an attempt to get noticed because of the vocal effects and it does sound a bit 'different'. But yes it put me off the project somewhat at the time!

15. RJN

RJN User

Not just you, based on the album charting at 23...

Although I'm listening to Notorious now and loving it, so maybe it was just ahead of its time

"I'm a gangster on the dance floor" :D

Iguana likes this.
  16. Tisch

Tisch One step forward. And zwei zurürck.

Get Ready, Get Set was definitely a missed opportunity of a single. :(

Iguana likes this.
  17. Iguana

Living For The Weekend (2013)

[​IMG]

UK album chart: 10

08 What About Us
    - Well, they finally did it: a UK number one. It's not their strongest song but I guess it crossed over or something. Nice enough, a bit sing-songy and they do sound good - quite Americanised

08 Disco Love - Again, pleasant enough. Bordering a little on cheesy, but it's just on the right side. It's trying to be catchy but is only partly successful. The Donne Summer line is the most memorable part.

03 Gentleman - Now this has veered onto the wrong side of cheesy. The talky bits are cringe (do they mention Judge Judy as a gentleman?!) - a bit Vanilla! - and the attempt to create a party chant about the '90s is very transparent.

07 Leave A Light On - This is a lot better. It doesn't reach the highs from the first couple of albums but it's a step in the right direction. I kind of want the chorus to be a bit more than it is.

09 Not Giving Up - This is some good sad electro pop. The chorus is the kind they do well - a bit chanty. I didn't realise it was a single!

07 Lease My Love - I can't quite work out what I think about this one. It's quite a dislocated song. The 'lease my love' chorus line sounds like a '90s dance anthem that doesn't quite get there and ends up getting a bit repetitive. I like that they tried something a bit different though. Marks for trying.

07 30 Days - I always quite liked this even though it was a bit of an odd choice for a lead single. It plods along a bit but it's an enjoyable listen. I wonder why they released it as the lead and then dumped it at track 7. Presumably because it didn't do as well as they'd hoped - although charting at number 7 is not to be sniffed at!

05 Anywhere With You - A Saturdays song that starts with the word 'Saturday'! :o This isn't a bad track, just a bit mediocre really, like most the tracks so far. They don't even sound all that excited about it themselves. The chorus is quite weak really, a bit like a cheap imitation of 'California Girls' .

07 The Problem With Love - They actually indulged us with a BEAT! And it's all the better for it. It feels quite faceless, but at least I can tap my foot. I can imagine dancing to this at Revenge in....2006.

08 You Don't Have The Right - Who ordered a BALLAD? It feels a bit patched together, this one, although it's pleasant. It builds quite nicely. It might have made a nice Christmas single actually. Yes, I got into it as it went on.

05 Don't Let Me Dance Alone - It's kind of there isn't it. Very generic. The production is trying to work overtime to make it interesting but it falls flat. I can hear Britney doing it sometime between Circus and Glory, but doing it better.

06 Somebody Else's Life - Nice enough. Not really a keeper though is it.

08 Wildfire - A bonus track that is better than the majority of the album! It's got a good feel to it. Much more like the Sats choons I like.

Overall, a big step down I feel. There aren't really any big bangers and it all feels a bit tired. I can understand why they packed it in after this - if they hadn't, they'd have needed to really shake their sound up to survive.

Average score: 6.8

Biggest keepers:

Not Giving Up

What About Us

Wildfire

BoysForSeles likes this.
  18. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Wildfire is definitely better than most of this album. The album reeks of final album and “will this do?”

Iguana likes this.
  19. Iguana

Sadly I think that's true. And yet it fielded their only number 1 single!

20. POP!

POP! FREE BRITNEY

"30 Days" and "Not Giving Up" are career defining moments for them. I don't use the rest of the album I'm afraid. "Leave a Light On" is cute but that's about IT.

Iguana likes this.
  21. Iguana

I was a bit harsh to 30 Words, but it is track 7 and reached number 7 so I think that influenced the score :D

22. Tisch

Tisch One step forward. And zwei zurürck.

I've never really liked 30 Days.

It also really confuses me that the single cover is them still using the On Your Radar pallette (and looks like Mollie has just decapitated Una)

[​IMG]

POP! likes this.
  23. Iguana

Oh that is confusing! It was a bit of an 'in between' single really

24. RJN

RJN User

This opinion is a bit unhinged, but 30 Days makes me want to CRY, and I don't know how to explain why exactly. It just makes me feel something

POP! and Iguana like this.
  25. Iguana

Aaw! I'm sure @Frosty the Snoldi will give you a hug!

26. Soldi

Soldi #stillyoung

Don’t you fuckin start :tongueout:

RJN and Iguana like this.
  27. RJN

RJN User

[​IMG]

Soldi and Iguana like this.
  28. Iguana

Please don't go, I need someone to comment when I do the final b-sides!

RJN likes this.
  29. RJN

RJN User

Turn Myself In - 10/10 - ALSO makes me want to cry
    The rest - never heard them

THERE